Bontrager Rims Rim

3.83/5 (30 Reviews)

Bontrager BCX1 Rims

Submitted by Alex a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2003

Strengths:    They held up for a year somehow

Weaknesses:    Very soft material. Rim walls were eaten up by the brake pads just after one season. They go out of true very easily. Recently one spoke pulled out its nipple right through the socket.

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't buy these rims any more.
Soft rim material. Brake pads wear down rim wall very quickly.
These rims go out of true after about 200-300 miles.
They might be good for weekend riders.
I give them just two flaming chilis.

Favorite Trail:   City streets and Mount Hood

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Alex rims and other cheap Chinese POS.

Bike Setup:   Rigid commuter bike for 20 mi. every day commute

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from Portland

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2002

Strengths:    Can be built into a light weight wheel.
Side wall has held up in foul weather
Going on 5yrs of abuse.

Weaknesses:    I cant attribute this directly to the rim but the front was built with radially lacing and the wheel has quite a bit of side to side flex

Bottom Line:
I have the Red Labels that came with the Santa Cruz XT kit in 98. The rear is laced 2x on the drive side and radial on the non drive to an XT hub. The front is radial laced to a white industies tracker. Im a 175lb aggressive rider and I have had Zero problems with the rims. They have held true and the side wall has not worn out even riding in a lot of wet weather. The wheels were well built and properly tensioned from Santa Cruz which I think has been a major factor in their reliability. I would not go with radial lacing in the future because I get brake rub due to side to side flex on the front wheel. All in all I have to give these rims/wheelset high marks.

Favorite Trail:   Univerity Falls Loop

Purchased At:   Came on Bike

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 217, 221, 517

Bike Setup:   98 Santa Cruz Heckler, Z1, XT Kit

Submitted by astro a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2001

Strengths:    MAVIC/BONTRAGER MA40 - MB. Indestructible! Light weight.

Weaknesses:    Difficult to get tyres on and off, sometimes IMPOSSIBLE!

Bottom Line:
I've had these 36h rims for 12 years and they've stayed pretty well true for all that time. They were handbuilt onto Shimano LX hubs in 1989 and apart from the odd retensioning have done thousands of miles trouble free. The sidewalls are still ok, if a little scored. There is a slight dent in the bead area of one rim, but it doesn't affect too much. The spoke bed is a bit too shallow and makes it difficult to mount and remove tyres, The narrowness makes it necessary to use v-brakes with a parallelogram design, otherwise the pad can hit the tyre sidewall. I wish they still made these things, cos they'd make an awesome disc specific rim!

Purchased At:   cliff pratt, hull

Similar Products Used:   MA6, WTB Powerbeam, various mavics.

Submitted by Sho Nuff a Weekend Warrior from VA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
I'm surprised to see the positive reviews the old BCX's are getting. I taco'd the front a month after getting it. But that was probably as much my fault as the rim. The BCX I have on the rear has been impossible to true from day one. Had it completely torn down and rebuilt, and still can't true it. After several years of fiddling with it after every ride just to get it to clear the brakes pads is getting real old. Definitely time to upgrade. Considering the other comments posted here, I'm going to assume I just got a pair of lemons.

Submitted by Mark Stewart a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton, AB

Date Reviewed: May 2, 1999

Bottom Line:
The rim: BCX-1Yeah, these're getting old, but I have never had a problem with 'em. Well okay, I did replace the rear, but that was due to my own foolishness (bunnyhopped one of those concrete things in the parking lot and came down right on top of it HARD). I run 'em front and rear laced up to 15/16 gauge DT competition spooks 'n' alloy nips. They're three crossed onto a set of old deore dx hubs (rear converted to eight speed with an lx freehub body). I have to replace my front wheel as I have a disc brake now and I know where there is one more of these left. I think this rim will be a great choice for xc disc wheel because it is a single-wall design with a BEEFY spoke bed. It should hold up well to the stresses of hub braking because of that. Mr. Bontrager, (I'm very impressed to see a manufacturer on the board) do me a favor and build some more of these. I'll buy at LEAST one. Thanks for many good off road miles on these 'uns.

more than 3 years

Submitted by Richard Styron a cross-country rider from Branson, MO

Date Reviewed: November 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought a Red Label and an LX hub (front) this spring (20 bucks for the both of them), and built it up myself using old spokes and nipples I had lying around. I built it 2 cross since my spokes weren't long enough, and i don't regret not spending more for a second. They are almost as light as my friend's Mavic SUP/Marwi Ti-Dye/XTR wheel, and I am using straight 14 guage spokes and brass nipples. I have only had to true them twice, and I do some pretty hard riding (see the trail reviews for Chadwick Motocross Park), and they have been nothing but nice. I only weigh like 120 lbs, so some of their durability can be attributed to that, but I would say the most important factor is how they are built. If you have OEM wheels that aren't holding up like you would like them to, take them apart and have your local bike mechanic build them up for you. I hae had to true them though, so they only get 4 burning dead horses.

Submitted by Trond Olsen a cross-country rider from Norway

Date Reviewed: October 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

I purchased the 98 BCX Red Label Rims this spring built on 98 XTR hubs and DT spokes, and I haven't been disappointed. My present bike came with Spins and I just had to replace them. First of all they are heavy, which is OK, but they feel extrememly dead when riding. The BCX however, is more lively than anything I have tried over the past 10 years of riding. I am 200 lbs and they still feel responsive when I hammer or cut the corners. I was afraid of having the red label rim on my rear after having read Keith's comments on his website, but it has worked very well. 5 chilies for simple and incredible design these rims features.

Submitted by ryan a racer from fond du lac

Date Reviewed: July 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have the valiant rims. they are in one word SWEET. They are extremely light,
I cant really coment on the strenght or duraability of these rims because i've only had them for about a week. valiant rims laced up with xtr hubs are lighter
than crossmax and thats hard to beat. Whats is even more amazing is that you can get hubs that are lighter than xtr. I will review again at the end of the summer to check the strenght.

Submitted by Eric Krout a weekend warrior from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: July 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

Besides the occasional rear rim problem, these Bontragers are good quality at a decent price. For the weekend warriors out there, these rims are a good choice. However, for those more serious riders, I suggest upgrading to another Bontrager rim, or possibly a BCXtreme rim set [which I just saw down in Virginia].

Submitted by Shane Reed a cross-country rider from Cupertino, Ca

Date Reviewed: May 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought a Bontrager Race bike about four years ago. I had it built up buy a local shop called Slough's bike shop. I mention this because I believe that who builds your wheel is probably more important than which parts you build it with. For those of you that had problems with wheels built with Bontrager BCX rims I'm sorry, but the rim was probably not a 100% at fault, remember that when you buy your next pair and have someone really skilled build them for you. You will not regret it. The wheels on my bike use White industries hubs and Bontrager red and blue label rims. I ride all year round and weigh about 200lbs. For the past two years I have been using XT v-brakes which put extra stress on the rims. I am glad to say that my wheels are still perfectly straight to this day and have never been trued. Never. That's FOUR years of technical, crazy, rock strewn, physco trails and they are still running straight. I will be having my wheels rebuilt soon because I think the sidewalls are finally nearing the end of their life span due to brake wear and you better believe I am going to go back to George at Slough's to tell him he did a killer job and to fix me up with some new Mustangs. Keith..you rule...come back to Chain Reaction bike shop and talk with us again sometime..the last time you were here was cool!

Submitted by Lancer a weekend warrior from Northridge, CA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 1997

Bottom Line:

I just purchased Bontrager Maverick rims with LX hubs. So far, the rims
are excellent and well designed. Additionally, they are strong. I have
no problems recommending this to the seriouis biker.

Submitted by Sean Bennett a weekend warrior from Japan

Date Reviewed: August 10, 1997

Bottom Line:

I have a BCX1 front and BCX2 rear (green and orange label - weinmann) which came stock on my 1993 KHS Montana Team. They've been great up until a week ago. Just leaving on a 200km 2 day road ride with my club, on slicks at about 90 psi, the rear rim exploded; the side of the rim split in two and blew out about a 45cm strip of aluminum. In all fairness, the rear breaking surface was a little worn, but the bike has mainly only been used for commuting, with 1 five day cycle tour and 1-2 recreational races a year. Up until last week the rims were great, and always true; last week was a sudden and unexpected surpise.

Submitted by Philip Backes a weekend warrior from MN

Date Reviewed: August 8, 1997

Bottom Line:

I was just riding along on the railroad tracks by my house when I found that my Bontrager Mavericks worked just fine. I just got my bike two weeks ago and there is just a slight wobble but that was there when I got it. I usually hit a few things and fall off sometimes and they haven't complaned. I especially like the machined sidewalls. The brakes work great with that. I plan on getting a pair of mustangs soon, they look a bit beefier. I also like it that bontrager has offset holes in there new rear rim. Deffinently getting that.

Submitted by Scott Parrish a cross-country rider from Auburn, AL

Date Reviewed: August 5, 1997

Bottom Line:

I got BCX 3 rims stock on my Kona Lava Dome in 94. I've had no problem whatsoever with the front wheel but the rear wheel is out of true as soon as I get it out of the shop (I've tried all the shops in my area and even had the wheels rebuilt). I'm a fat guy but you'd think the rim would at least stay true for a ride or two. I'm in the market for a new rear wheel...any suggestions? How are the new Clydesdale's?

Submitted by Cory L. Vanarsdel a cross-country rider from texas

Date Reviewed: August 4, 1997

Bottom Line:

I have had my Maverick wheels for about a month, i ride about 4 times a week
from the trails to streets and all in between. They have held up to everything i
could put them through as to date they are as true as the date i purchased them.
For the money($65 with stx rc hub)and at 410 grams it is a great wheel.

Light Bicycle carbon rims for Yeti 575

Hi all, I wanted to post about my Light Bicycle 33mm wide 26er, hookless, UD matte, 32H, with Yeti Turquoise decal. I received my rims after 16 days and had them built by Dave at Redstone. Dave did comment that the external finish looked good but that the ERD measurement was not consistent. I ha ... Read More »

1st Wheel Build: DT 533d rims, 180 hubs, Alpine III Spokes, Messing 2.0/12mm Nipples

Hi. My name's Keith. I'm new to this site. After closely reviewing the forum topics, I think I've found the correct spot to post this thread. I've read many articles on many different rim/hub/spoke/nipple combinations. However, I have my own combination that I'm looking to assemble myself. It inclu ... Read More »

Giant revel 3, double walled rims ?

Does anyone know if these are double walled, all it says is alloy rims where all the other bikes on the web site say double wall.Read More »

wide rims + tire pairings

Thought it might be worth a separate thread for combos of rims & tires that people have tried -- and air pressure -- to collect info on what works well together & what doesn't. Me: 185lbs geared up Riding: Rocky fast singletrack, v. little air time [B]Rims: 41mm hookless carbon[/B] [B]Purgatory 2 ... Read More »

Matching rims to tires

Hello, The only really good logic I have at this moment that extends beyond a chart (which all seem to cut off well before various wider tires) is to multiply the inner width by 2 to 3. Meaning if you had a 30mm inner width on a rim, you'd have an acceptable tire range of 60mm-90mm. After doing ... Read More »