Bontrager Mustang Rim

4.39/5 (119 Reviews)
Weight : 400 grams MSRP : $49.00

• Dedicated front rim
  • 3-cavity cross section design: internal in-plane walls put more material in spoke load path more effectively than double eyelets
  • Extra tall 13mm machined rim sidewalls for easy brake pad set-up
  • Patented welded and reinforced seam with machined sidewalls
  • 542 ERD

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from San Jose

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2005

Strengths:    Lasted a long time. Bought these laced to XT hubs and have just retired them after 7 years of use. Only trued them one time.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    I'm not too hard on my bikes because I'm older than most of you. But these rims have never failed me on many trips down Rocky Ridge.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Teresa Park

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   D321 Mavics on my Piranha. Stock junk on the Hardrock.

Bike Setup:   All Xt and XTR group on a Hardrock Comp with a Judy 100. All is going on ebay soon.

Submitted by Jeremy a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2003

Strengths:    Nice n' lite. Pretty stiff.

Weaknesses:    My rims broke after about 3 months of riding. First the rear rim went when it got dented by a rock, riding in Utah. I bent it back and then it bent again. When I tried to fix it the second time, it just broke. And now, two weeks later, I taco'd the front rim. These rims are too lite for me.

Bottom Line:
    Nice lite, stiff rims that really don't last long at all. I'm very disapointed in their durability. Mavic 517's seemed much better to me. I've already had my rear wheel rebuilt with Mavics, and will be bringing my front wheel in to be rebuilt this afternoon.

Favorite Trail:   Shindagin

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 217, 517-Lasted much longer.

Bike Setup:   Single-speed Dean Duke, Phil Wood wheels, Thomson stem and seatpost, Monkeylite bar, etc.

Submitted by Russ a Racer from St. George, Utah

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2003

Strengths:    Strong & light. Set them up and forget about them.

Weaknesses:    The ceramic side have no effect any more, but its been 6 years.

Bottom Line:
    The only time I have had to true these rims in the 6 years is right after I bought them. Wonderful rims!!

Favorite Trail:   The diry ones.

Purchased At:   ???????

Similar Products Used:   I have ridden these so long I dont remember.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakota Sram 9.0sl/XT Blah ba blah bl blah blah blah....

Submitted by Jay a Weekend Warrior from Tempe, AZ

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2003

Strengths:    price, looks

Weaknesses:    weak sidewall

Bottom Line:
    Worked well for ~ 1yr, but after slightly tweaking the rear and retruing, the rear OSB Mustang Asym rim "blows" out in 1 spot causing extreme pulsating when FirePro 2.1 tire at 52psi. Rim has to be replaced.. but with what? So many good reviews on this rim, but orig Mavics lasted way longer amongst same riding conditions (rocky AZ terrrain).

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 221

Bike Setup:   FSR Elite, Z1 bombers

Submitted by Superfly a Racer from Fort Collins

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2002

Strengths:    Durability, Durability, Durability

Bottom Line:
    I've got a long history of destroying rims. Most last less than six months. But I've ridden (and raced) my Mustangs under brutal conditions for two years and they're still perfect. Never even had to true them. They're fairly light, cheap and will outlast just about anything else on your bike. Now I'm going to disc brakes and ordering the disc-specific Mustangs.

Similar Products Used:   Similarly priced Mivic, Sun, etc...

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer, Sram, XTR, Chris King

Submitted by ryan haglund a Cross Country Rider from san antonio

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2002

Strengths:    these rims are awesome. they are by far the best that i have ever owned. they hold up real well and look sweet

Bottom Line:
    If you are looking for the best.....look no further. If you ride cross country these are the ones for you.

Favorite Trail:   anything dirt

Purchased At:   bike world

Similar Products Used:   corvair, mavic

Bike Setup:   marlin- XT/LX XTR hubs & mustang rims

Submitted by Dave from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2002

Strengths:    tough. cheap.

Bottom Line:
    I've beaten the snot out of these rims in Pisgah, even broken an axle, and the rims are still perfect. What more can I say?

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah nat'l forest

Similar Products Used:   lots of 'em

Bike Setup:   dualie

Submitted by Mossy a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2002

Strengths:    Durable, reasonably light, ceramic surface works well to improve braking friction

Bottom Line:
    Quite possibly the most reliable, best-designed piece of MB equipment Ive owned.

After three years, countless rides and hard hits, the rims have stayed ding-free. I toss them into the truing stand every six months or so, and Im amazed how well they've held up. (I weigh 173, ride technical XC -- rarely jump)

Weaknesses? Could be lighter I suppose, but I doubt the durability would remain. Also, the ceramic surface on the front rim has smoothed out quite a bit, so the braking benefits arent quite what they were before. I've switched to a softer pad compound (WTB duals from Shimano XTR) to prolong life... Theres also a small chip on the rear tire, but its been there for over a year with no sign of getting bigger.

Overall, great stuff, highly recommended. If only KB's cranksets were as nice.

Similar Products Used:   numerous Mavic rims, Trek Matrix

Bike Setup:   Klein Adept race

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from El Cerrito

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2002

Strengths:    Stays true, reasonably light weight

Weaknesses:    Seems to bend at the tire bead on bigger hits

Bottom Line:
    The mustangs came on a bike I bought used, so I don't know what kind of life they had prior to my riding them. They were straight when they came to me, radial laced front, 3x back. I'm about 180 lbs. Recently I hit a little stump sticking out of the ground almost exactly as wide as the rim. I didn't see it coming and almost went over the bars. I think the z2 saved me from that. After hitting it, the front brakes were dragging badly in one spot. I thought I knocked the rim way out of true. Upon later inspection, I found the rim to be perfectly true, but folded down slightly and equally on both sides where the tire bead sits. It was a fairly hard hit. I was impressed that the wheel didn't need truing at all, but unimpressed that the metal folded so easily at the edges. Later I was riding on the road with higher tire pressures, and the rear tire blew off the rim. I discovered two folds at the edge of the rim on the same side about eight inches apart, which is how big the hole in my inner tube was. I have no idea how long the rim was bent like that since it held fine at normal off road tire pressures, and it was a one time road thing. After the incident with the front rim I just bent it back into shape and it seemed fine. I tried the same thing for the rear and the metal braking surface started to rip just below the rim tape level. I made it home just fine but I think it's the end of those rims. I don't get much air when I ride, 1 to 2 ft max on this bike, but I love rough terrain. Under the abuse I've dished out the rims have never needed truing, but they haven't really liked some things I've put them through. I'm curious to see how the mavic 317 will do on the rear since I'm not really a weight weenie, or maybe I am and I will find out, and maybe go back to the mustangs, or maybe rhyno-lites.

Favorite Trail:   El corte de madera

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Ritchie vantage, soon to be mavic 517f,317r

Bike Setup:   2000 kona king kikapu, z2, fox float, 2.1 trailblasters ~40-45psi

Submitted by Brett Deraileursuck a Downhiller from Minneapolis, MN USA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2001

Strengths:    Light, strong, cheap, true well, don't bend often, brake well, ASYM.

Weaknesses:    NONE, Ryan's doing something wrong or laced em up himself.

Bottom Line:
    These rims rock, I've been riding the front solid for 2 years and the rear for 1 year. I've never had to true the front, I've trued the rear twice, and it went back without effort. NO FLAT SPOTS!!! That's right, after hard use and many multi foot drops I havn't had any flat spots. I will use again, and so should you!

Favorite Trail:   Whatever is close

Purchased At:   QBP

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 517

Bike Setup:   Marin MT. Vision Pro, Full XTR, Marz Z.1 Alloy

Submitted by ryan a Weekend Warrior from provo utah

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2001

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    after tweaking my fist set of rims the guys at the shop said they rode these, but on my first real ride i bent the front, the shop said it was untrueable, and that I would have to buy a new one. spend a little more so you dont have to replace these every ride.

Bottom Line:
    Unless your a 75 pound cross country type, dont waste your time or money on these.

Favorite Trail:   south fork

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   cannondale super v, WB FR-3, Fox coil over

Submitted by Karl from Montreal,QC

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight, tough,reasonably priced and good looks

Bottom Line:
    These are an excellent value in a quality rim and can be paired with Shimano hubs for good results or great results can be used with Hugi or King hubs.
    I have been riding some pretty nasty trails for over three years on these wheels and have not yey needed to true the wheels, 5 stars all around.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic and Arya

Bike Setup:   Trek 7000 with many mods.

Submitted by Paul Lanhart a Cross Country Rider from Burnsville

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2001

Strengths:    Very strong rim, stays true even during hard rides, good braking surface, excellent customer service!

Weaknesses:    none, considering the customer service I received

Bottom Line:
    I love these rims! Stay true. I did have one split underneath the rim tape but the customer service from Bontrager was incredible... fast response and they directed my local shop to replace it. I had a new wheel in 1 day! You can't beat the price, the quality, and the customer service. I love having rims you don't have to true after every ride. I make minor adjustments and even those aren't very often despite riding every day.

Favorite Trail:   CAMBA trails in WI