Bontrager Mustang OSB Rim

2.91/5 (11 Reviews)
Weight : 430 grams MSRP : $54.00

• Time tested tough rear ATB rim
  • Offset spoke bed (OSB) design minimizes dish for a stronger, longer lasting wheel
  • Patented welded and reinforced seam with machined sidewalls
  • 542 ERD

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Alexey a Cross Country Rider from Moscow, Russia

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2008

Strengths:    Did not true a single time in 5 years. ASYM design works well!

Weaknesses:    Naked aluminum outer surface gets dark and greasy with time, uncleanable. Retro design.

Bottom Line:
    Mine are Ceramic with XTR v-brakes. Everything else is the same. Had a very good initial build with Ritchey WCS hubs and DT 2.0/1.8 spokes (32h).

I am 5'10', 155 lbs, do not ride mountains but bunnyhop a lot in the city as well as on rooty trails. I would call it aggressive XC.

No problem with the wheel stamina at all. After approx 3000 kilometres the sidewalls are in perfect condition, and I ride in the range of +30 to -15 Celcius.
    The braking is not perfect, but it has nothing to do with the rim design and construction, so 5 chilis for all.

P.S. Heavier riders may find the rims not perfectly bulletproof, but this would not be the rim fault, IMHO, taking into account the rim's weight.

Favorite Trail:   suburb woods and parks

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey WCS (unwelded joint, disaster with v-brakes)

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude hardtail, xt-xtr mix

Submitted by Brian White a Weekend Warrior from Medford, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2007

Strengths:    Wheels have been bullet proof for bike commute and off road. Have been, and still is, true and straight. I weigh 200+ and have not had a problem UNTIL .............

Weaknesses:    Cracks around spoke eyelets, (8 of the 32), on the drive side of the OCB rim.

Bottom Line:
    On my last downhill blast with my full suspension cohorts, (4,300 ft in 13 mi), I noticed the rim rubbing the left inner chain stay. When I was washing the bike and wiping it down, I noticed cresent shaped cracks around the spoke ringlets on the right side of the rim face. Wheel is unstable and no longer safe to ride. I was suprised that this rear rim failed me after so much good riding.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Ashland to Lithia Park

Purchased At:   Performance Bike.com

Similar Products Used:   Going to try the Sun Rhyno Lites.

Bike Setup:   1991 Zaskar LE with Judy SL w/ 3" kit. "Hardtail Holdout". Have been used for 65% bike commute on Richey Tom Slicks (26x1)at 105 psi and 35% on Panaracer Fire XC 2.1s off road.

Submitted by Lo-Fi Superfly a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2005

Strengths:    Very Durable

Bottom Line:
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with most of the other reviewers. I have had the same pair for five seasons of abuse and they STILL work. I'd never had the same rims for more than one year before I built these up. I never even had the wheelset trued (which probably speaks more about the the builder than the rims). I ride hard too. Lots of technical stuff and lots of 100-mile and 24-hour/2 person races.

Has the design changed since I bought my rims a few years back, or did I just get lucky enough to not wear my stuff down as fast as everybody else?

Purchased At:   mtnhighcyclery.com

Similar Products Used:   Usual array of mavic and the like

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer, XTR, Talus Fork, King hubs and headset, Easton carbon bars and seatpost

Submitted by Tom Wiard a Cross Country Rider from colorado

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2005

Strengths:    stayed true

Weaknesses:    side walls bent after 1 year and were wearing through

Bottom Line:
    The sidewalls wore out very quickly without much mud riding(coving from brake wear) Than the sidewall started bending out and made the braking inconsistant. i weigh 170 and do jump off of 1-2 foot ledges

Favorite Trail:   colorado trail/porcupine rim

Similar Products Used:   mavic crossrocs-mavic 1oo seies

Bike Setup:   titus/over the edge racer x 100-marzochi sl-xt -thompson-avid rim brakes

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, Md

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2004

Strengths:    Asym design helps keep wheels true. Great entry level rim. Relatively light weight. Wheels hold true even from day one.
    These rims have never seen a broken spoke or cracked nipple.

Weaknesses:    All rims will eventually wear out from braking. My rims usually last about one and half yrs to two. On my first set the back rim finally cracked after two years (but didn't collase ) I knew I had been pushing it and that it was due to fail so I credited the failure to my own short sightedness

Bottom Line:
    These rims hold up very well considering what MTB'ers do to them. The rims I have now I've had for almost two years. The back rim is starting to track (wear down) I ride all year long on classic east coast single track. Hilly, rocky, rooty, and muddy at times. I learned you can prolong rim life by staying away from mud as much as possible and making sure your brakes ( rim brakes ) are aligned properly.
    Also check spoke tension once in a while (just to be sure)
    My next set of wheels will be built with the ceramic version which should give me even better braking and rim life. However, if you're catching big air or doing a lot of down hilling I'd go with a more beefed up rim. The only air I catch is no more than 1-3 feet. I also suggest you buy the rims and have the wheel built by your local shop. That way you can look the Man in the eye if something goes wrong with a poorly built wheel.

Favorite Trail:   Avalon

Purchased At:   local shop

Bike Setup:   Trek 9800 hard tail( carbon frame )Manitou Elite shock, XTR brakes, 32 spokes front and back, DT Dlb butted spokes, alloy nipples, Panaracer FireXCPro 2.1 tires, Shimano XT rear hub, Sun/Ringle front hub

Submitted by thebronze a Cross Country Rider from texas

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2004

Strengths:    Pretty good combo of strength, light weight, Offset, and durability

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls dent easy

Bottom Line:
    Were good for about 6 months, then I hit a rock in a creek crossing and wham, that was it. Big ass dent in the sidewall, tore my python lite too....oh well
    I got the whole super stock set for $120

Similar Products Used:   217, 517, sun rlyte, dt xr4.1d

Bike Setup:   brodie steel

Submitted by Randy a Cross Country Rider from Marin

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
    I agree wholeheartedly with the previous reviewers about the weak sidewalls. Hit a waterbar on my last ride and the sidewall bent out. Really haven't ridden them all that much since I bought them. Never had this problem with other rims, notably Mavics. I certainly wouldn't buy these again, though I don't think they make them anymore for tubed tires.

Submitted by joebt from athens, oh

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2003

Strengths:    break well at speed

Weaknesses:    sidewalls very weak, replacing them after only a few good rides in the woods on a full suspension bike. bends all over, needed to be trued 2 or 3 times, once after two months of just road riding, very disappointed i wasted my hard earned money on these and took the suggestion of my LBS, because not only were they heavy but the side walls have nice sized dents in at least five places. Making it worse is that i run high tire pressure.

Bottom Line:
    not worth the money, my stock rims lasted longer on fisher wahoo, with more abuse and more riding time.

Favorite Trail:   sells park, lake hope, anything involving speed

Bike Setup:   GT STS(full suspension), manitou scareb, deore hubs, lx derailers. were also used on a fisher wahoo, with similar setup

Submitted by Sunshine a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2003

Strengths:    this rim stays true and round.

Weaknesses:    weak sidewalls

Bottom Line:
    I did not have to true this wheel very often but I beleive the sidewalls on this rim are weak. I run a Tioga DH 2.1 on the rear with ample pressure and I have two spots on the rim outer rim wall that are collapsed. I pounded them out but smooth braking has been lost. Also, the spoke nipples are pulling out of the rim (the spoke tension had been checked when the wheels arrived pre-built).

Similar Products Used:   sun rhyno-lite, mavic 317

Bike Setup:   titus loco-moto

Submitted by Will from Corvallis, OR

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2002

Strengths:    Asymmetrical design leads to good spoke bracing.

Weaknesses:    Pathetically weak sidewalls! Razor thin sidewalls = very bad design. After putting about 200 miles on this thing the sidewalls were caving in from braking and the rim would literally cave in under a tire lever! When I inflated the tire, the pressure on the bead would cause the rim to noticably bulge out. Weak weak weak weak.

Bottom Line:
    I got this rim at a shop I once worked in for next to nothing because nobody else would buy it (weenies wanted Mavics, smart trail riders and DHers rode Suns). I laced it up with radial on the non drive and 3 cross on the drive side and used it as a spare for my hardtail. It always stayed perfectly true and round, the sidewalls just quickly failed under the basic stresses that all rims must endure. Take it from a bike mechanic with 8 years of experience: don't buy this rim if you use tire levers or rim brakes because it just isn't up to it. I'll stick to Sun from now on.

Purchased At:   25

Submitted by roger a Weekend Warrior from piscataway nj

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2002

Strengths:    Have stayed true, fairly light

Bottom Line:
    at 200+lbs and not afraid to hit hard I give these some abuse and the onlt thing I see differand is the brake wall doesn't show those nice groove it had and the ink on the stikers are washing away (I know,that's really bad )
    will buy them again
    have osb on rear and regular up front
    love em

Favorite Trail:   dirt hills water rocks& roots

Purchased At:   somerville cyclery