Bontrager Maverick Rim

3.9/5 (42 Reviews)
Weight : 435 grams MSRP : $40.00

Extra-tall 13mm machined braking surface for easy brake pad set-up and better radial strength. Welded joint and stainless steel eyelets. Single-cavity cross section.

Submitted by MikeR315 a Downhiller from Omaha

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2009

Strengths:    Ummm...it lasted for the first couple drop offs at least

Weaknesses:    WEAK!!!!!!!!!!!!
My rear rim split right down the center of the rim

Bottom Line:
It thankfully broke within the first year, so the Bike Rack replaced it for free. I'm going to upgrade to Rhythm Comps. If you're doing anything over three to four foot drop offs on the trails, then I wouldn't recommend these wheels. They might hold up on some light XC, though.

Favorite Trail:   Platte River State Park

Purchased At:   Omaha Bike Rack

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race tubeless Ready

Bike Setup:   2008 Trek Fuel EX8

Submitted by Mike from Manchester NH

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2004

Strengths:    Fairly Strong
Never had to be trued
on the lighter side

Weaknesses:    Braking surface (they ground down quite a bit and the braking generally sucked)

Bottom Line:
I never had any complaints while riding these wheels but when I took them off to put new disc specific wheels on I realized how much abuse I gave them and they were perfectly true. They took alot of 5 or 6 foot drops and kept coming back for more. So for an XC rider who wants to dabble in a little freeriding with these dont be scared.

Im certainly going to keep these around on a spare set as soon as I lace them to some disc hubs

4 outta 5 because the braking was a nightmare on these things and part of the reason I went to discs

Bike Setup:   Trek 4900, 04 psylo fork, avid mech. discs, sun single track wheels and a few small other things

Submitted by Mathias Magdowski a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2004

Strengths:    lightweight, strong, stiff, durable

Weaknesses:    a non-foldable tire is difficult to set up

Bottom Line:
This rim works very good for me. It was already installed in the bike. I have never had problems with the rim, only with the hub, which must be a very cheap one, from Kalloy or so, but Klein used them in 1998 for the suspension-fork-models. I weigh about 70 kilogramm and even in rough conditions (eg. Garmisch-Partenkirchen) the wheel works for me. I already have driven this rim for 4 or 5 years and about 15000 kilometers. Of course the wheel could be more lightweight, but then it wouldn't be so durable.

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   -

Bike Setup:   1998' Klein Pulse, Rock Shox Indy S, LX derailleur, Sugino Cranks

Submitted by Dan from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2004

Bottom Line:
Yeah I love my bike I hate these rims. Less then two weeks of riding and I've bent the front and rear, not tomention I'm noticing my spokes are bending I'm no expert rider but I do ride hard and all of it in the city and what am I to think of rims that can't take a quick jump off the curbs down on market a few times a day. I know how to land a bike from alot farther than 8 inches and that is just about all I've had to marrow I need new rims or I will have to stop using my feet cuase they are that bent.

Favorite Trail:   Where ever wehn ever

Bike Setup:   Stock Tass

Submitted by bOOnie a Downhiller from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2002

Strengths:    Light, Front rim is ok it has lasted 2 years

Weaknesses:    Back rim split down the middle (after a few months), no good for rough stuff. Got heaps of dents in it ( i only weigh 70kgs)

Bottom Line:
If you are rough on your rear rim i.e drops, powerslides, rocks etc it will break. Front is ok

Similar Products Used:   Mammoth bigfat (cause I'm trying to keep it cross country)

Submitted by Dark Daemon a Downhiller from doesitreallymatter.ro

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2002

Strengths:    way understated, pretty strong for such a narrow profile

Weaknesses:    the same understatement, image

Bottom Line:
I never thought I'd be so impressed with Fisher OEM equipment... They came stock with my second hand '98 Level Betty FH2. They lasted the whole season of dual, a couple of DH races and some street. I didn't have any money to buy other wheels so I had to stick with 'em. First I thought they'd be the worst problem on the bike, but Fisher and Rock Shox insisted to prove me wrong. Frame and fork quit their job earlier than the wheels. So long with quality, I guess! I never believed these wheels would last, because they have only 32 spokes, and don't even have eyelets, not to speak of the width... I have my own strong beliefs about how a wheelset should look like(521, Hugi...), and they didn't quite match it. I have to say, that the spokes (DT) must have played an important part in the whole thing too, because the hubs (Fisher/ STX-RC) weren't top notch either. So, this is my way to say "Thank You!" to Keith. Fish, thanks too! But for the wheels, not the frame. Next time try at least to match the strength of the wheelset, k?

Favorite Trail:   my own

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey, Mavic, Sun, Mach 1, Alesa

Bike Setup:   Chameleon, whatever...

Submitted by xcstar a Racer from USA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
I got them on my new trek 6500! thay r varry light!i bent the rear rim on a curb but i had the tire on like 35 PSI and i waz going pre fast ppl say it waz so small that it wazent considered a dent! over all there varry strong!

Submitted by klam a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, ON

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2001

Strengths:    Very cool red anodized finish, asymmetrical rear rim to reduce dish really strengthens wheel, very strong rims that resist going out of true. Welded seam and machined brake track.

Weaknesses:    On the heavier side, 450g.

Bottom Line:
These rims are excellent durable general XC riding wheels that have pleasantly surprised me since the beginning. I have had these rims for over two years now and they've only needed to be minorly trued once or twice during the entire time. My particular set came OEM with my Trek 8000 in 1999 and are finished in a really cool looking red anodized finish. I believe most aftermarket Maverick rims are not available in this finish.

The asymmetrical rear rim makes a particularly strong wheel that can be ridden hard without worry. Like other Bontrager rims (Mustang, Valiant) which use a 2.5mm ASYM offset, it reduces drive-side dish that can weaken the wheel's integrity. The rims are welded at the seam and include a machined brake track. A very solid rim with everything that you need.

The only gripe I have about the rims is that they are a bit on the heavier side (450g). However, I believe you can get the Mavericks in aftermarket for about $38/rim, which makes them unbelievably affordable. Unfortunately, the lighter Mustangs are priced only a little more.

I am very happy with these rims, and am looking towards Bontrager's Mustangs or Valiants to build my next wheel. You will find that most Bontrager products are quality and durable, the Maverick rims do not fall far from the tree.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   A variety.

Bike Setup:   Came OEM with my Trek 8000. Bontrager Maverick rims red anodized finish (w/ASYM rear), Bontrager/LX hubs, laced radial front and 3X rear with 14g DT spokes. Bontrager Super-X 2.0" kevlar tires, Avid 2.5SD v-brakes, Manitou SX.

Submitted by Swanny a Cross Country Rider from Federal Way, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2001

Strengths:    They stay true

Weaknesses:    These rims are heavier than others I have ridden. I also get more flats on these rims than with the Mavic's I usually ride with on my other bikes.

Bottom Line:
These rims are not bad, but I don't think that they can compete with some of the offerings from Mavic. I have had more pinch flats with these rims than I ever had with any other wheelset I've owned. I had to put extra tape over the spoke holes just to prevent flatting. They do stay true though and that is a big plus for these rims.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim Trail, Moab, UT

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 230's, Mavic 231's, Mavic 225's

Bike Setup:   These rims came stock on my Gary Fisher Joshua

Submitted by Lloyd! a Cross Country Rider from Idaho

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent rim - has never had to be trued after 4000+ off-road miles.

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
These rims came OEM on my 1998 Trek 8000. I broke the frame and 2 forks before tacoing the rear rim. The front, which is paired with the original LX hub, is pretty much the only thing from my bike that I have not broken since buying it in 1998. In fact, I have never had to have the front wheel trued in over 4000 miles of off-road riding. I keep waiting for it to break so I can replace it with something better, but the damn thing will not even come out of true!! 5 flamin' roaches!

Favorite Trail:   Fisher Creek

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 238, Mavic 517

Bike Setup:   1999 Trek SLR frame, 2000 SID XC, Maverick/LX front, Mavic 517/XT disc rear, Thomson stem & post, 2001 XT 9-speed components.

Submitted by Jim Hesketh a Weekend Warrior from Merritt Island, Florida USA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2001

Strengths:    Strong, have held up to many 4-5 foot drops. I beat the living @$#** out of these rims.

Bottom Line:
I am constantly beating on this bike. Thats what I bought it for...to have fun and be a weekend dare devil. These rins were trued once after the 30 day breakin period two years ago. Haven't had them trued since. They are great rims, and I'm a clydesdale (220 lbs)

If I find a 3 or 4 or 5 foot drop off, I hit it. I don't worry about tacos. Also, you have to know how to land once you get airborne !!!!!

Purchased At:   Came with the bike.

Similar Products Used:   Weinman Garbage.

Bike Setup:   99 Trek VRX 300, xt, yada, yada

Submitted by Adam W a Weekend Warrior from College Park, MD

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2000

Strengths:    Light enough
Strong enough
They work

Weaknesses:    hmm... weird brake surface, it squeeks a bit, but hey, it stops me

Bottom Line:
No complaints. None. Good weight/strength tradeoff, they get me where I need to go and let me have fun along the way. Okay, so I only weigh 150, but my handling skills could be better, I've thrashed wheels before (I have a collection growing...) - these have put up with it. Maybe I'm just getting better, or maybe these wheels rock.

Favorite Trail:   the Pits