Bontrager Corvair Rim

3.44/5 (48 Reviews)
Weight : 475 grams MSRP : $29.00

• Tough front rim for ATB use
  • Patented welded and reinfroced seam with machined sidewalls
  • Stainless steel eyelets
  • 542 ERD

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Chris S a Weekend Warrior from Baton Rouge, LA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2008

Strengths:    Strong rim for an entry level rim. Fairly lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Havnt found any so far.

Bottom Line:
    Put about 60 miles on this bike since I got it last week and havn't seen any major issues. About 25 of the miles where on mixed technical and gravel road trail, the rest was on the road commuting to class. So far its stayed true and tight, hopefully I wont have to break out the truing wrench...

Favorite Trail:   Comite

Similar Products Used:   rhyno lites, and the Giant factory rims.

Bike Setup:   mostly stock Trek 4900. Wheels came on it.

Submitted by FIREtrekker Ed a Weekend Warrior from L.A. So Cal

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2006

Strengths:    Surprisingly Light and strong/Great entry level rims, or all around rims with good setup.

Weaknesses:    Brake wall sucks when when wet- wish they had ceramic coating -I overcame this however by upgrading 2 ceramic pads on XTR M960 Vbrake-Awesome brake response! MUST TRUE or adjust spokes often!

Bottom Line:
    If these came with your bike, leave em on there. They aren't XC wheels but with their weight they sure feel like it. They aren't hardcore mountain wheels, but they sure are strong enough to take on some sick rock gardens & drops...and endure on bumpy ground. IN order to get the most performance from these wheels you have to true them often -maintenance only. I've trued them 6 times this past year, but I only HAD to twice. The rest was for maintenance only (it's a good idea if you ride often and 4mid-range wheels like these). Also upgrade your spokes, hubs, and brakes for optimal use. In the spirit of upgrading, no sense in buying new -I've upgraded my MTB for type of riding I do and as so I've upgraded my wheelset, BUT kept the Corvairs. They get the job done with no dents, kinks, or tweaks and will surpass your expectations. Once you're ready for the next level(XC,AM,DH), then buy new stronger wheels. But you won't forget the Bontragers ... Good riding!

Favorite Trail:   Palos Verdes Hills

Purchased At:   LBS Smiths

Similar Products Used:   Mavic XL's(still have them-use em for long trips)

Bike Setup:   4900 Trek XC stuff-Easton carbon stem/bars/sstay Truvativ Carbon Stylo crank, GXP BB, SramX FrD,XTR RapidRise RD, XTR Ti hubs, CaneCreek Laserspokes/headset, Sram cogs,Avid flaks, & Fox 100mm Terralogic forks - Nothing stock EXCEPT the CORVAIRS!

Submitted by Paul Rintoule a Weekend Warrior from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2006

Strengths:    strong, reliable, stay true - if properly tensioned

Weaknesses:    a titch heavy

Bottom Line:
    The originally these rims came with a new Fisher Sugar. Before delivery, the bike mechanic at Clarence Street named Israel, a great guy who went on to run the workshop, personally tightened all of the spokes by hand. He said I would get a much better life out of them. I'm 5' 11" and weigh about 210lbs and wear out two chains, a rear cluster and front chainwheels in less than 12 months. He was absolutely correct. I actually wore the rear rim out after about 2 years and the front is now on my Liquid. I have hardly ever had to tweak these rims. I have never put them seriously out of round. So tension them up and they will give sterling service!

Favorite Trail:   redhill

Purchased At:   Clarence Street Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Mavic XC, Ryhno Lite, Mammoth

Bike Setup:   2005 Trek Liquid with Nixon Platinum fork etc

Submitted by Mike Madsen a Weekend Warrior from Pleasant Hill, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2005

Strengths:    Strong, Long Lasing

Weaknesses:    Every month or so needs tru'ing but nothing really bad.

Bottom Line:
    I take alot of drops 3-5FT high go on long rides and if you keep your tires inflated to 50PSI or higher they wont cause pinches or bend/crack. Also Go down stairs and even up some (up to a 8 stair at 20mph) and they hold like a rock. With my riding I get them trued about every two months. They perfect for the AMature rider or someone who is just starting out.

Favorite Trail:   NorthStar MTB

Purchased At:   Came With my TREK 6500

Similar Products Used:   Mavic X 221 (not very good rims)

Bike Setup:   Drops, MTB, Race, ECT

Submitted by Voodoo a Cross Country Rider from Zagreb,Croatia

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2005

Strengths:    If you're a grandma, and have under 100 lbs... there is no better rim for the money.

Weaknesses:    They bend...They don't bend when you hit them, grind them into the ground after a two yard leap,they just bend, on a straight road.

Bottom Line:
    To qoute a music artist who in of his songs says : "Life is a lesson, you learn it when you're through", although not a great piece of art, has a lot of truth in it.Therefore, now that I'm through with these rims I feel adequate to point to criticize about their performance. I'm not a professional racer, but I tend to do 30-60 miles on average,with long pause periods though =), pulling around 20 miles an hour, on asphalt, dirt and rocky trails. The rims have withstood some serious beating over the period of , around three years that I've used them. But, after 5000 km, they have decided on an unprovoced attack on any unfortunate part of my body found in the path of the asphalt that suddenly came rushing at me. But ultimately, since this is the bottom line, the rims are worth their price.

Purchased At:   ROG-Joma

Similar Products Used:   matrix 750

Bike Setup:   TREK 6500

Submitted by Kevin a Racer from Steamboat Springs

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2004

Strengths:    Strong Rims take the abuse.

Weaknesses:    Could be lighter

Bottom Line:
    The rims can take abuse. They have withstood numerious collusions with protruding rocks during high speed mountain bike races and have kept true while hopping down technical rock trails with the occasional crashing mistake. Least to say some other components haven't been so fortunate. Overall the wheels have probably seen over a thousand high impact miles and a good deal of softer road miles.

Bike Setup:   Stock Trek Fuel 80 2001

Submitted by Jeremy a Cross Country Rider from Chatsworth, CA

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2004

Strengths:    Extremely strong, tolerant to hardcore abuse.

Weaknesses:    There arent any really, with the exception of the fact that the slightest amount of water will cause the brakes to squeak, but thats nothing that a little dirt can't fix

Bottom Line:
    I have been riding this rim for a year. I have had no problems. I have gotten the front one trued once, and the back never had any problems. For all of the abuse i administer to it, i am surprised that i haven't cracked the rim by now. I have hit some of the hardest of surfaces and the rim itself stayed as true as the day i bought it. I have no complaints at all

Favorite Trail:   cheseboro (only real one i've ridden)

Purchased At:   Cycle world

Submitted by eric from san diego

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2003

Strengths:    Bulletproof so far

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    These came stock on my bike, with Bontrager hubs. In 2 years of riding...flat stuff, mud, sand, rocks, DHing at Big Bear and Mammoth, these rims have stayed true and round with out a problem. I have endoed multiple times at Mammoth and Bear w/o a ding in either rim. Hit nasty sharp and pointy granite boulders in Mammoth...no issues. The wheelsets have impressed me. I DO believe the strength of the rim is made by the quality of the wheel build. In other words GET IT DONE RIGHT!

=)

Favorite Trail:   Anything at Mammoth

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek 8000 LT w/Hayes Discs

Submitted by Colin Beck a Cross Country Rider from Winchester VA USA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2003

Strengths:    good if you don't plan on every riding your bike off road

Weaknesses:    I had my bike, Gary Fisher Tassajara, for 6 days, yes 6 days before I bent both of the wheels. The rhyno lites I had on my old bike lasted me over 6 years with nothing more than an occasional tighting of a spoke,and I rode them a heck of a lot harder.

Bottom Line:
    Don't buy this rim, it sucks, weight looks all that doesn't matter when your walking your bike, buy a rhyno lite.

Favorite Trail:   snowshoe

Purchased At:   Mulhaupts

Similar Products Used:   rhyno lite

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Tassajara

Submitted by Andrew Cohen a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, Va

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2002

Strengths:    Decent for light hitting and riding

Weaknesses:    To skinny, heavy

Bottom Line:
    I weigh 140 lbs. These came on my Trek 6700 and i have already taken a chunk out of the side of the front rim. no other problems yet I've done a 5ft. drop on them and they held up.

Favorite Trail:   Powhite Park

Bike Setup:   Trek 6700, m515 Shimano Clipless

Submitted by Brendan Connors a Cross Country Rider from Davis, CA, USA (needs more hills)

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2002

Strengths:    Durable good braking surface

Weaknesses:    none that I can diagnose

Bottom Line:
    I've been very happy with these rims, although I have little to compare them to. I test rode these as well as something less expensive on a trek 4700 and I could tell a huge difference in braking power, most likely due to the machined grooves in the sidewall. They've also withstood two crashes which by all means should have bent them, but they are still true!

Favorite Trail:   Rockville Hills in Fairfield, CA

Bike Setup:   Fisher Tassajara with upgraded drivetrain

Submitted by Darac from Croatia

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2002

Strengths:    strong enough for XC,good entry level rim,wide breaking surface,not too heavy

Weaknesses:    bit heavy for serious XC,must be trued regullary

Bottom Line:
    a few months ago I crashed at 30 km/h speed with some girl driving cheap hardtail,hiting her rim full front...after some sick superman endo,I helped the girl laying underneath her bike...boy that was the sight to see:cracked fork crown,bended bar and number eight look a like shaped rim,not to mention some minor scratches(on bike as well as her legs and arms),corvair was fine not even a tiny flex...they earned my trust,now they're still rolling straight after almost a year

Bike Setup:   came with Trek Fuel 80/2001

Submitted by Chris Chupka a Weekend Warrior from Abilene TX

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, black when new

Weaknesses:    all the anodizing is gone, pinch flats(a few), way to wobbly when run on a little lower pressure. Heavy, heavy. Get them if you are just staring out like me, until you know what you like.

Bottom Line:
    They gotta be strong. I am 225lbs. Hit steep facing rocks twice hard enough to go over the front. Bunny hop curbs on way to school(about 20 a day)never bent only out of true once. Lot of rocks on our little trail here in Abilene, I think I hit them all. Still hold my fat @%# up.

Favorite Trail:   ABC

Purchased At:   Biketown

Similar Products Used:   old mavics with my old Paramount

Bike Setup:   Trek 6500 stock except Time ATACs, Ritchey Pro stem, seatpost, flat bar(me and my bike trying to lose a little weight), slime

Submitted by tim finnegan a Cross Country Rider from brockton, ma

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2002

Strengths:    better than a wagon wheel

Weaknesses:    flimsy. i believe they're also possessed by satan.

Bottom Line:
    these things came out of true right away. that was from maryland riding. had them trued again, then went home to mass. going pretty easy on rock gardens and graveyards couldn't save these things from their evil ways. i guess if you're concerned about weight, and don't let the rear wheel touch anything but hardback, you should be allright. the rhyno's have been much better.

Favorite Trail:   naked bunny