Bontrager Clysedale Rim

• Super strong 3-cavity design
  • 6061 aluminum
  • Great for tandem use
  • Stainless steel eyelets.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Theodore Jump a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2002

Strengths:    Bombproof.

Weaknesses:    Weight, for the gram-counters out there, for the rest of us none AFAIK.

Bottom Line:
    I broke three rims the first six months riding in Austin ( 2x Mavic, 1x Bontrager ) with either radial cracks from spoke holes or longitudinal cracks, all on the rear wheel.

Got the wheel built up with the Clyde rim, DT double-butted spokes, and have had zero problems since then. I have around 2500 miles on the wheel on my hardtail, and over 2000 on the wheel on my Enduro, both rims have stayed round & true far longer than I have expected, and have required little truing maintenance.

Favorite Trail:   Emma Long Motor Park, Austin, TX

Purchased At:   Freewheeling LBS, Austin

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 217, Araya RM-17, Aray RM-20, Bontrager Mustang Asym

Bike Setup:   Cannondale hardtail/headshok, Shim XT hubs/cranks, DT DB spokes; Specialied Enduro, Chris King hubs, DT spokes

Submitted by Marcus Van Kommer from Yakima, Washington, USA

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2001

Strengths:    very strong, have not had to true rim since initial build

Bottom Line:
    built up on a fixed gear road bike commuter, wanted a rim I that could handle the curbs when someone trys to run me over. I have sold them off and the new owner still hasn't had to true them

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Submitted by David Martin a Weekend Warrior from Kirkland

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2000

Strengths:    I ran this rim for almost two years and never had to true it. I ran it in the rear with XT hub. I just got rid of it due to a crack in the side wall. I did a lot of street riding with it. the only reason it got a crack in the side wall is because i ran my tire with way too low tire pressure on accident one day. I bunnyhoped up three stairs at full speed and tagged the top stair and bent one side of the rim all the way in. I tok a pair of canel locks and bent it back out and rode it for 6 more months. THE RIM NEVER WENT OUT OF TRUE! It was still riding fine the day I cut it off.

Weaknesses:    Weight is the only weekness that I can see. I decided to run this rim though because I was constantly bending rear rims. At 200 lbs I needed the Clydsdale. Even with the crack n the side wall I did some 3-4 ft drops to flat pavement on street rides and the rime never even budged. Kudos to Kieth Bontrager!

Bottom Line:
    If you need a bomb proof rim that will not bend and will stay in true under weight then run the Clydsdale. Properly built, it will not let you down.

Favorite Trail:   Lock-em-up in Santa Cruz, CA