BombShell Fat Boy Rim

Design specifically for downhill these 38.4 mm wide profile rims are the trick for today's wide tires. CNC'd side walls with eyelets for improved strength. Disk or v-brake compatible. Available in 32 or 36 hole.

Submitted by Jason Jackett a Weekend Warrior from Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2006

Strengths:    looks cool, design and colors go well with Marzocchi Z1 forks. Very strong wheel. Light.

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
Great wheel. Strong, wide, and light compared to others.

Favorite Trail:   Connaught

Similar Products Used:   Sun doubletrack

Bike Setup:   Trek Bruiser 2. Z1 Fr 3 fork (150mm of travel). Bontrager Big Earl crank. 50/50 X blue pedals...and much more

Submitted by Clay a Downhiller from DC

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2005

Strengths:    Light (for a dh wheel), sweet looking in black with the bombshell sticker. Stay's true.

Weaknesses:    Flat spots too easily - I dented the rim pretty quick without much of an impact, but it's really only cosmetic.

Bottom Line:
Decent wheel for the price, but doesn't hold up to a pounding the way I would like. For the price and weight, it does just fine, but if you ride where there are lots of rocks or you drop big, get a heavier wheel.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Adrenaline bikes

Similar Products Used:   Rhyno-lite

Bike Setup:   AC/Super T

Submitted by rudeboy_dread a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2004

Strengths:    This review is for the Crusher Wheelset.....Triple walled!! Stealth look.... Tight, compact hub body... Keeps rotational mass in check. Excellent factory lacing.

Weaknesses:    5 1/2 pounds for the set. These guys are monsters... Cheap paint and decals. Still made in Taiwan.

Bottom Line:
Comporable to a XT hub, these guys roll super smooth but with more durability. They are heavy as $%@#, but I find myself not thinking about them before I hit certain lines, which is comforting in itself. Albeit I have the 32 hole set up, the spokes are straight gauge steel and makes for a stiff compliant ride. They've stayed true for the last 3 months...(6'4", 220 pounds). I ride allot of urban and do allot of landings on concrete.... Never a problem.
Bottom line is for the $$, you're alright. It's certainly not a Hope Bulb laced to Trailpimps, but then again, you get what you pay for. All in all, great value.

Favorite Trail:   Subway Platforms

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creeks, Mavics, Sun's.

Bike Setup:   Foes Fly, Hope M4's, Marz, blah blah blah....

Submitted by Doug from Pisgah Forest, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2003

Strengths:    This review is for the complete Bombshell wheelset including the rims, spokes and hubs.
Very strong and very smooth rolling wheel set. The weight is not that much more than a typical cross country disc wheelset.

Weaknesses:    The Bombshell rim strips suck. After they got wet, they became loose and sloppy and had to be sh*t canned. I use filament strapping tape anyway, no big deal. The rear skewer sucks. I used one of my Shimano XT skewers after having trouble getting the rear wheel into the dropouts. The skewer has some sort of goofy floating deal on the non drive side. The front wheel is a 20mm axle, no skewer.

Bottom Line:
I have trashed a few wheels. The riding in Pisgah national forest is very wet with lots of slippery rocks and roots. These are the only wheels that I think I will not be able to ruin. Well not just yet, give me some more time! I even flatted on a rocky downhill section. By the time I realized that I had a flat (7 inch rear travel was sucking it up), I had been riding on the rim itself for a bit. The black paint was all gone on the outer edges of the rim itself but the rim was perfect. I have lots and lots of paint scrapes missing on this wheel set already from rock hits and sticks but the wheel set is still running true. I have never had to true the wheels. The bearings are amazing. Right out of the box the wheel set would spin around and come to rest at the heaviest part of the rim. I am not doing 6 foot drops but I am punishing these wheels way beyond what most cross country riders would and I am very happy with them so far.

Favorite Trail:   All of Pisgah national forest

Similar Products Used:   None similar, but I have broken more than a few cross country wheels.

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASX, manitou sherman, 5th element frame shock, 1.5 headset, 31.88mm bars, Bombproof fatboy wheel set.

Submitted by Eric a Downhiller from Gettysburg PA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2002

Strengths:    Heavy, thick sidewalls, triple void, I haven't had a pinchflat yet with DH tubes and Tires, Bombshell has great customer service(and if you don't think so maybe you are being unreasonable)

Weaknesses:    I would prefer to see some inserts at the spoke holes, but it hasn't been a problem at all, these are tough rims

Bottom Line:
I honestly had my doubts. I also made the mistake of listening to the rep at pricepoint and "put on the handlebar, the front wheel, inflate the tires and you are ready to go". Well after the first 3' drop I checked my wheels, and I really should have gone over the bike before the exciment set in. There was a little I mean really little flat spot in the rear rim from my high speed, bad landing little stunt. I was all upset, and I took it off as soon as I won a new rim at the first race. Since then I have gone through two other rims on the same terrain, and I will most likely put the FatBoy back on the Back of my bike. I know the rynolite I have now just won't be able to take the use/abuse. They are good, period. No big name BS, just a strong rim that works very well. My front wheel has been over and into almost everything imaginable from nasty rock gardens to the occasional 4 footer into rock gardens. I could say that I would buy them again, but I know I will because I have other rims that aren't going to last.

I only gave four chilis, but that is a really good rating for me because I'm cheap. These are great rims from a nice company that is doing its best to provide good products at honest prices. They have earned my trust and respect.

Favorite Trail:   I just like to ride

Similar Products Used:   Rynolite okay for enduro/xc, Mammoth, Single track, single wide these will fall apart before they pinch flat.

Bike Setup:   Mindbomb with romic, adjustable leverage ratio(home modification) carbon fenders, Modified MRP(almost now chain growth and it never hits logs)

Submitted by Kid Quick a Downhiller from Oceanside CA

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2002

Strengths:    Width 38.4 fits tires well
fast - rotates well
no flat spots

Weaknesses:    lateral strength - warps and tacos easily - after 3 DH runs in less than week they were done

Bottom Line:
I'm a 6.3 230 stair and rock garden king. I'm either going through it, or over it. These rims will not stand up to me and my style of riding.

They look good. Are spec'd good. But, for the cost of them at $45 each, you can find much better in the same price range. Can't see too many pro's running them. Get some 321's, Mag 30's, or Trailpimps....

Favorite Trail:   Mt Wilson - DH Rock Garden SIngletrack