Home | Reviews | Rim | Avro

Avro Icycle Rim

Weight : 680 grams MSRP : $60.00

Whether you are racing, touring or commuting in winter a large footprint from from your tire is very important. A wide light weight rim is the way to get that footprint whether you ride a 1.9 or 2.3 inch tire.The Icycle Rim is 45 mm wide and has a braking surface. You can ride pressures as low as 5 pounds.

Submitted by John Devon a Weekend Warrior from Montreal

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2006

Strengths:    A great winter riding rim. Widens the tire profile for a huge footprint. Help grip on snow and ice. Works even better with studded tires.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I think the are no longer made, but if you find some lying around a shop as I did these are probaly the best winter rims made. SnoCats should get a hold of one an copy it.

Favorite Trail:   lake ice

Purchased At:   Rossi Cycle

Similar Products Used:   SnoCats which were much weaker and bent.

Bike Setup:   Greased up (rustproofed) 21 speed mtb rigid frame.

Submitted by Doug a Racer from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2002

Strengths:    This should be a great winter rim. The welded rims were certainly good for those who actually received them.
Wide rims on packed snow are definitely the way to ride in the winter.

Weaknesses:    I ordered the icycle zum rim around october of 2001, in february of 2002 they finally sent me the wrong rims. The order clearly said that I was getting Icycle zum rims with a braking surface. What I got were welded rims with coated braking surface. The company then told me that they had simply sent me the wrong rims as a temporary substitute untill they could send me the real rims. The real rims would be shipped shortly. I sanded in my own braking surfaces and have been using the welded rims.
I still haven't gotten the real rims. (1 year later) Their e-mail appears to be disconnected.
The customer service from this company leaves lots to be desired. I would like to get the rims some day though. (since I paid for them)

Bottom Line:
Nice rims if you can get them.

Purchased At:   140

Similar Products Used:   Snowcats from All Weather Sports. Remolino sand rims (88mm wide!)

Bike Setup:   rigid mtb with Surly fork to fit larger tires with wide rims.

Check out hottest mountain bike products from these brands!