Home | Reviews | Rim | Araya

3.54/5 (26 Reviews)

Araya 820

Submitted by American Lesion a Cross Country Rider from Venango County, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap. strong. attractive.

Weaknesses:    Tad heavy.

Bottom Line:
These rims are relatively strong and should serve all but the obese and the most clumsy of riders. Anyone claiming to be a "racer" should have the ability to avoid the obstacles that would cause severe damage to wheels built from rims such as these. These rims have been built for a long time--and with good reason. They're strong...sell at a very fair price, look bright and attractive, and when built up with hubs like Altus and UCP spokes, only retail for 35 bucks or so. I weigh 185 pounds and haven't been able to damage these suckers.

Wheels built from these rims are not race-quality by a long shot, but would be fine for training, resurrecting an old ride (as I've done with them),for the occassional rider, the weekender, tourister, bike-trailer, commuter, light or medium duty trail rider, or anything along those lines.

My more serious mountain biking demands take place on Zac 19's or Specialized GX-26's with Formula or LX hubs, respectively. That doesn't mean that I don't have faith in my Araya wheels--I realize their limitations, though and take care of my equipment. Unlike others that thrash their equipment and then post unfair reviews, entry level equipment shouldn't be expected to perform with the likes of higher-level, more exepensive componentry. I also have no desire to ruin my Araya wheelset. I certainly treasure them for bike-trailing and riding dirt roads.

My review reflects the fantastic price of a set of finished wheels ($35)and their faultless performance thus far.

Favorite Trail:   Oil Creek, Allegheny, and Sandy Creek Trails

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Alex, Weinmann, Mavic, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Heck, I have five MTB's....running the gamut from Shimano XT to SRAM/Sachs Plasma to Sunrace M-60 and from 9 to 7 speed. All have Wellgo WPD or Ritchey Clipless Pedals, IRC, Kenda, Geax, and WTB tires. Only my (Lake) Freerider has (Diatech)disc brakes, the others have linear pull brakes from Shimano and Tektro...or Self-Energizing Cantilevers from Scott/ Pederson and operated by Avid levers, or even a U-brake on one of my resurrections.

Submitted by Hillary Corwin a Racer from Dallas, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2004

Strengths:    They start off round...if you're lucky.
I got mine for free. Even when not a gift, they're dirt cheap.

Weaknesses:    Remember how I said they started off round? They ended up square -- when I threw them away they had more flat spots than a catwalk.

If you want to ride anything even remotely serious with these, do yourself a favor and bring a rubber mallot with you on the trail. You're going to need it.

Very poor strength-to-weight ratio. They're too heavy to be this weak.

You get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
As I stated, I was given my pair in return for a service I would have rendered without pay. He insisted, as I had screwed up the rims that came with my old bike and was unable to replace them at the time due to finances. I was greatful and built them up immediately.

They rolled for about a week, they wobbled for the next week and despite all attempts to keep them alive, the third week they were bent beyond any hope. If I didn't have mechanic's training and had to take them to the shop to get them built/trued/banged on, they would have cost much, much more than getting a good pair of rims.

They're easy to true, I won't argue with that, but bending sidewalls back into place is not so easy. Especially when seams start to split. Quite uncool.

Favorite Trail:   Anything that points down.

Purchased At:   Traded friend a bike tune-up for rims

Similar Products Used:   Sun Mammoth, Planet X BFR, Atomic Laboratories DHR and Trailpimp, Snowcats, Balance stock.

Bike Setup:   Gack Trailmod, Manitou Dorado SC, Hadley 20mm front/SS rear hubs, Sun Mammoth rims (Thanks to Ben at Unreal Cycles for an excellent wheelbuild -- highly recommended http://www.unrealcycles.com -- get some real wheels!), FLY'n W 6-piece cruiser bars, Chris King NoThreadSet, Magura HS-33 brakes,

Submitted by cookedbananas@hotmail.com a Weekend Warrior from CANADA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2003

Strengths:    medium weight, good entry level rim. trues easily.

Weaknesses:    weak, weak, weak, weak. i am now the proud owner of 4 flat spots on this rim.

Bottom Line:
if you want a good, entry level rim, and dont plan on pounding down a trail like a jackhammer, these are for you. If you're like me and bounce down a trail at top speed, dirt jump, and ride urban too...

Purchased At:   a guy

Similar Products Used:   other rims

Submitted by Rob the ripper a Cross-Country Rider from CANADA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 1999

Strengths:
Easy to true
cheap
doesn't get flat spots

Weaknesses:
can't take the big hits.
comes out of true lateraly about every two weeks.

Bottom Line:
this was a great rim to learn on. I was able to go for about one and a half months without getting these things trued. but as I got to be a better rider these things turned out to be the limpest pieces of s@#t. today I was riding my favorite downhill trail, launched and nailed a tree at about 25km/h. My front rim now resembles a taco. they were fine while they lasted, but couldn't take the heat. I would recomend these for average sized, sane riders ( I'm 14, about 6'2, 180ilbs, and definatly not sane when the adrenalin kicks in.) I won't be buying another set. (mavic 521's will take their place.)3 chillis for a great entry level product.

lost Oakleys

3 months

many oter pieces on department store bikes.

GT tequesta, manitou SX-e,with a few mods

Submitted by chris a Cross-Country Rider from CO.

Date Reviewed: August 22, 1999

Strengths:
THET LASTED ME A YEAR AND THAT'S PREETY GOOD!!

Weaknesses:
I HAVE FLAT SPOTS A OVER THE PLACE!!(I WHOULD OF GOT NEW RIMS SOONER BUT I DID'NT HAVE ANY MONEY.)

Bottom Line:
GOOD FOR WEEKEND BIKERS, BUT ANYTHING OVER DON'T USE'EM.

1 Year

OTHER PIECES OF CRAP.

SCHWINN S-9SIX-nEW MARAZOCCHI SHOCK!!!

Submitted by Jaime Negron a Weekend Warrior from Gurabo, Puerto Rico

Date Reviewed: May 18, 1999

Strengths:
Excellent braking sides

Weaknesses:
crap joints

Bottom Line:
I have use this rims for 3 month and make some jumps on it, and they still in excellent condition and well tune. They are excellent for those, like me, that do a lot of street and beach riding. Also consider that when you buy a bicycle that include this arayas in the configuration, you are not spending so much money on this bicycle so don't expect more than that.

3 months

Submitted by D Ehresman a weekend warrior from Ca

Date Reviewed: January 7, 1999

Bottom Line:

The RM-20 set the standard for rims many moons ago. old but true there bullet proof. Old timers like me still ride them today even through they are over ten years old. Some things do last forever.

Submitted by Darren Ehresman a cross-country rider from Fresno CA.

Date Reviewed: January 7, 1999

Bottom Line:

For all you old timers out there still riding on araya RM-20. These rims might be old but they set the standard by which all others are judged. Bullet Proof.

Submitted by Sy Coman a cross-country rider from Silverdale, WA

Date Reviewed: December 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

Araya 710 rims came on my Schwinn Moab. They are trouble free, been beat into the ground for 2.5 years with going out of true. But they are heavy and the welding is crap. When I put on my brakes damping style they go whumpf every revolution. Bombproof and indestructable, but heavy and poor workmanship.

Submitted by Justin a racer from Nelson BC Canda

Date Reviewed: November 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

This rims are really not good. I have these rims on the front and the rear and they just dont last on the front there is a big dent and where the 2 halves are joined toghter is cracking same in the rear but no dent in the rear.

Submitted by Aaron Jacob a weekend warrior from Iceland

Date Reviewed: August 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

These rims came stock on my Haro. Hmm... after about 6 months of riding, a bent spindle, bent rear axle and a shot headset, these rims have 4 dents in them have these strange stress marks down the centre and needed truing every few days. Yep, you guessed it they are pretty shit. You have to put in to consideration that they are only cheap rims and that you get what you pay for.

Submitted by Chris Summerhays from slc,ut

Date Reviewed: June 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

They are tough as shit. Iride freestyle and dirt and so far I have not so muck as nicked them. The peregrines I got with my my bike bent the first month. Araya Rims are so much tougher than peregrines. I would never consider buying anything but Araya Rims after this experience.
Chris Summerhays

Submitted by James Foster a cross-country rider from Calgary, Alberta

Date Reviewed: May 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

These rims tend to go out of true pretty easily. I find that every 50 km of singletrack they need to be trued. Other than that, I have no complaints. The brake surface is excellent. All that you need to do is clean the rims and you can stop on a dime.

Submitted by Blake a cross-country rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: April 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

These rims suck! I have 600 mostly street miles on them and replaced the front two weeks ago because the area around the valve stem suddenly became wider than the rest of the rim causing the brakes to pulsate! Last night I noticed that the back one is doing the same! They always caught at the seam a little, but
not like this. The front one I replaced with a Sun 17 and it's smooth as can be.

Submitted by thehau a weekend warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: March 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

The joints aren't exactly level, this tends to rip my brake shoes or is it the other way around with the pads tearing shreds out of the rim. 'Coz they are way scratched.
They are not strong laterally at all. Riding to and from school hitting kerbs and all they have had to be trued about 5 times now, all in 6 months!