Alex Rims X-202 Rim

The Alex X-202 Rim is a lightweight and smooth riding rim. Rim Depth: 16.5 mm Brake Compatibility: Rim Brake ERD: 547 mm Valve: Schrader ISO Diameter: 559 Valve Length: Schrader Tire Type: Clinche...

Submitted by 2 Wheels

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2014

Strengths:    • Value for the money
• Ease to true and tension

Weaknesses:    • Not very stylish

Bottom Line:
The X202 weighs in at 480 grams and I was really impressed with it for the price.

I put one of these on my first and only wheel build. It went on a flip-flop hub with fixed gear on one side and a freewheel on the other that I put on a nineties steel frame mountain bike.

I put the X202 on my only wheel build, but I've loosened up all the spokes and trued and tensioned (with a tension gauge) about a half-dozen wheels including wheels with department-store-quality rims and wheels with mid-grade Alex rims and WTB rims so I have something to compare this rim to.

For me, the department-store-quality rims rims are very difficult to true and get approximately equal tension on all the spokes. It's hardest to get the tension correct near the seam.

The X202 was about as easy to true and tension as a mid-grade rim. .

My son rode that bike to school every day for about two years until it got stolen. He probably put about 25 miles a week on it. I checked the wheel after about one year and it was still true. It was probably still OK 2 years later, but I never got a chance to check it.

Duration Product Used:   2 years