Alex Rims DP20 Disc Rim

• 26"-490g, ERD 538.9mm, ETRTO 559X20mm

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Gravity_rider

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2013

Strengths:    Cheap, Light and TOUGH!

Weaknesses:    none observed

Bottom Line:
    This is one TOUGH rim for it's price range. I currently use the 36 hole variant and I have thrown my bike to bunnyhops, decents, drops, pedaled through rocks the size of melons and even used them crossing shallow rivers and they still hold up to the punishments...still true since day 1

even the stickers are still intact!

Submitted by Alamin a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2012

Strengths:    Strong and lightweight

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    I bought this wheelset off from my friend and ive never reegret that decision. Ive been downhill, xc, dirt jumps and street riding it at skateparks with no prolem. Its light weight makes it easier to jump. With a 2.35 nevegal tire, this thing's awesome!

Submitted by mark!

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2012

Strengths:    As a big boy, 370 pounds, I needed something other than a single walled Bontrager rim that came on my Trek bike. The LBS had a complete wheel on sale for about half off, said it was going to be an upgrade, so I figured I'd give it a try. I took 18 miles of trails on the bike, a few drops here and there, nothing major since I baby things as much as possible at my weight. This rim has been solid so far, it's been great. I hit some hard stumps yesterday on accident and stopped to inspect things, always cautious as a larger rider that I'll jack something up, but it's still straight as it was when I bought it. I still plan on trying my hand at building my own wheels soon, getting a stronger rim for cheaper and keeping parts of my current wheel to build it up, but right now, the Alex Rims DP20 has been outstanding.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    I'd recommend this rim to anyone looking for a stronger than stock single walled rim. My stock SW rim just didn't cut it. Being a bigger, active guy, I needed something I felt comfortable with, this rim, so far hasn't given me any reason to doubt it's ability to perform, even under my weight. Will keep a very close eye on it though.

Submitted by Daemongrad a Weekend Warrior from Brockville, ON. Canada

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2011

Strengths:    Look, Weight, Price.

Weaknesses:    Only a weakness if you use the rim for something it shouldn't be, but it flat spots bad. Heavy hits will dislodge spoke nipples.

Bottom Line:
    a Good Value for the buck XC rim, as I got the pair for about 200. They fair well as an all mountain rim, handling most smallish drops, NOT FOR URBAN, NOT FOR FREERIDE and most certainly NOT FOR DOWNHILL!!!! I don't know how they hold up on dirt jump because I don't do them.

Favorite Trail:   Ontario

Similar Products Used:   Singletrack, WTB dual duty.

Bike Setup:   Ibex Ignition.... SOOOO not stock.

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Perth, Western Australia

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2010

Strengths:    apparently its cheap

Weaknesses:    really weak! i tried whipping the back end out while doing a small bunny hop and the rim buckeled so badly that it nearly touches the frame on both sides.

Bottom Line:
    These things suck! If your just riding around the place they're fine, but as soon as you do something stupid, chances are they'll buckle.

Similar Products Used:   whatever comes stock on a 2006 Giant STP0

Bike Setup:   A stock Specialised Hardrock.

Submitted by scottvoltageyz0.3 a Weekend Warrior from ballarat

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2010

Strengths:    very strong and reliable, amazing for jumping. Take flat landing very well (since i have no shocks)

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    this is a top quality rim i reccomend this to every one.
    if they are in to BIG JUMPS. or cross country

Favorite Trail:   basiclly i only do jumps

Purchased At:   cycle city

Similar Products Used:   my friends alienation 26' black rim (this rim is still better)

Bike Setup:   scott voltage yz 0.3 2010 model, getting shocks very soon.

Submitted by jackhurst a Cross Country Rider from oxford

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2009

Strengths:    wheeles

Bottom Line:
    the rims are very stong had them for 2 years and still no buckle tight as a drum,plus i wheelie every were lol

Favorite Trail:   moutain

Purchased At:   halfrods

Similar Products Used:   .

Bike Setup:   off road crosscoutry

Submitted by satan66661 a Downhiller from Hailsham ,England

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2009

Strengths:    Reliable, strong for their size, light weight.

Weaknesses:    don't take really heavy landings too well.

Bottom Line:
    These rims are pritty good for their width and weight, they hold my 2.35 highrollers with no worries, the only bad thing really is that if you land heavily they could flat spot because my rear rim has.
    Appart from that they're a good rim ONLY if they're standard on the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Tilgate Forest

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles, Bright

Similar Products Used:   Mavic EX521, Mavic EX721.

Bike Setup:   GT I.Drive 7 3.0 standard spec except for Maxxis Highroller 2.35 inch tyres, lizard skins MOAB lock on grips.

Submitted by Michal Garstka a Cross Country Rider from Poland

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2008

Strengths:    I was a little bit afraid to buy this new on our market product. Especially on the rear wheel I considered something stronger. However I'm really nice suprised for it. Despite I'm quite haevy (90 kg) and very often I was wearing additionaly my son, I have not noticed any problem with both (front & rear) rimms during last year. I performed also some mountains trips in rocky area and I could say rimms were really tested.

Weaknesses:    up to now - none

Bottom Line:
    These are my first brake disc rimms. I've been using them on both rear and front wheels 36 spokes version. No problem has been noticed.

Purchased At:   bicycle shop