Alex Rims DP17 Disc Rim

• 26"-470g, ERD 539.4mm, ETRTO 559X17mm

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Norman

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2013

Strengths:    Very cheap yet very good and very strong that i even use it on extreme jump trail and never gave me headache...I am using it for 7 yrs now with ave of 10Kms daily ride...

Bottom Line:
    Good looking and very lightweight rim.

Submitted by sam a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2012

Strengths:    both held up okay after everyday riding offroad and on road.

Weaknesses:    the front went untrue like a pizza

Bottom Line:
    i rode the balls of these for a year and the kind of survived - atleast the back did. that means trying to 180, casing jumps and trying to whip.... on my 4" travel hardtail. they seem ok since there cheap but im not sure if id trust them again since the front pizza'd on me.

Bike Setup:   giant xtc 4.5

Submitted by Lisa Cook

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2012

Strengths:    At least the front rim looks o.k.

Weaknesses:    After 11,500 road miles in 1.5 yrs and a third truing, the rim has three sites where major cracks occur, two of the worst occur on each side of two eyelets where the eyelets themselves have pulled through. In addition there are hairline cracks on each side of 5 more eyelets. These occurred immediately after being trued.

Bottom Line:
    Perhaps I am naive in believing that after this type of mileage on my Navaro Safari that I should still have decent rims. For about 5 yrs ending 1.5 yrs ago I rode a cheap Schwinn Aluminum Comp mountain bike from Walmart in which I had to replace the aluminum rims because a bad batch of spokes out of Japan was used in the construction of the wheel. My local bicycle shop owner sold me a pair of cheap $25 ea. aluminum rims in which I rode with a rear panear about 30,000 mostly road miles within our county during that time. Also, consider that I maintain a weight of 150 lbs. With the exception of the sides worn from the break pad use, they held up surprisingly well. Supposedly the DP 17 with disc breaks that came with the bike is better, and yet I only have slightly more than 1/3 the mileage on these rims which were also ridden with the same panear. I can't tell you how disappointed I was to see the failure in a rim that was supposedly designed for mountain bike use, especially since I use this bike for the road. Imagine if I used these rims to pull a bike trailer across country. Needless to say, I will be upgrading to a rim that can take at least 8000 road miles miles a year with minimal truing required. Someday I will actually tour my bike and I want something strong, reliable and relatively maintenance free.

Submitted by paxy

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Weak laterally

Bottom Line:
    I've got just over 200 miles on these rims. They've held up ok over some rough rides, although I've had to re-true once.

Did a hard turn and stop going very slow and the front taco'ed. These are not strong enough for a 290 LB Clyde like myself. Looking at getting some Sun Rhyno Lites.

Submitted by Overdrive a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2012

Strengths:    Great wheels for money... after 7500kms, they run like first day.

Bottom Line:
    60% road use, 40% macadam, ruff gravel,dirt.

Submitted by Henrik B a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap and looking good.

Weaknesses:    Not to strong

Bottom Line:
    They came on my Giant. Used them for 2 years of hard riding. Then they were done. Not bad for cheap chineese products.

Favorite Trail:   The white trail, DK

Submitted by MeaCulpa a Cross Country Rider from Finland

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2011

Strengths:    Good rim for cheap money. Riden these for 2 years, even some harder rides, with no problems. Really good value for the money. Bike, Fully. Rider, 70 kg. Very good looks too, and a nice finish. Less problems with these hubs then my friends have had with hubs that cost 4 times so much as the wheelset!

Weaknesses:    -

Bottom Line:
    Very good and priceworthy!

Favorite Trail:   Tahko

Similar Products Used:   Mavic

Bike Setup:   Fully, 140 mm

Submitted by boomer88 a Weekend Warrior from Elma, Washington, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2011

Strengths:    they work good enough to get you to a bike shop to buy better wheels

Weaknesses:    this rim folded on a ride i was on at about 40 mph resulting in a shattered wrist which will need to have at least one surgery and screws and plates installed in me for the duration of my life.

Bottom Line:
    Change these immediately if you get these stock on the jamis dakota 09'. Do not purchase these because you might die.It is only an upgrade from the first wheel man ever invented. Always wear a helmet, it saved my life when the wheel failed me. if i could give these a negative rating I would.

Favorite Trail:   LTs trail in Sasebo Japan

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   jamis dakota comp 09'

Submitted by Nitrometal a Cross Country Rider from Lanham, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2010

Strengths:    They're not bad looking. no catastrophic failures yet and they've taken some abuse (over a short amount of time)

Weaknesses:    not holding true too well. front is somehow way out of true and it's only been 3 rides. rear gets smacked around but is hanging in there

Bottom Line:
    Having read the rest of these reviews I see i'm not alone with my experience in these rims. they really aren't too strong. i haven't folded them, which i'm very thankful for since thats pretty much the end of your ride (and potentially your face), but as stated above the front is VERY unhappy after less than 50 trail miles. i had Mavic X223's on my previous bike and i hammered the piss out of them for roughly 6 years before they really came out of true. this is no exageration. Mavic makes a dynomite rim! these DP17's...i'm pretty sure they'll be looking more like a bow-tie than a hoop by the end of this season. 2-chilies value for coming on my bike. 2-over-all because they're hinting to a failure before actually failing...eventhough i know the failure is looming.

Favorite Trail:   Ralph Stover PA

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Mavic X223 dics

Bike Setup:   EWR frame, SRAM X7-X9 drive, Avid Juicy 3 Brakes, Rock Shox Recon fork

Submitted by stoviber a Weekend Warrior from Falkirk

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2010

Strengths:    The rim is almost a perfect circle when you first purchase it

Weaknesses:    They're not too tough

Bottom Line:
    I was out in the snow at the weekend with a mate and lost control coming down a trail with around 2 inches of snow, jack-knifed into the mud and wheel folded, wheel is now ruined. Replacing with a decent mavic rim / shimano hub. I know bike is not the most expensive Specialized money can buy but I can buy a much better mavic rim for £25.

I'd understand it if it had bent under more force but it really was an insignificant amount of pressure, and I wouldn't say I was doing anything mad.

As a commuter wheel it's sufficient, anything else - upgrade to something decent.

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper SL 2010 purchased about 4 months back

Submitted by davidf6464 a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, Aust

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2010

Strengths:    Struggling to find any. Stickers look nice & cheap.

Weaknesses:    Flimsy and fairly heavy.

Bottom Line:
    From day one, I have had no confidence riding down hill at speed. I basically only ride fire trails and a bit of single track, but nothing too heavy or technical, but this rim seems to flex all over the place. I suppose I got what I paid for, but never again.

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   WTB speed disc. Can't recall others.

Bike Setup:   GT i-drive 5 2.0 2006, mostly OE ,ie, Tuvativ Stylo cranks, Shimano XT gears, Majura Julie brakes, Fox Vanilla R forks, although have put on Fox RP2 rear shock.

Submitted by Wirelas a Weekend Warrior from Copenhagen, Denmark

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2009

Strengths:    Looks good

Weaknesses:    Bent on first trip on my brand new bike!!!

Bottom Line:
    They are probably ok if you ride it on the road but I thought I bought a mountain bike and apparently these rims are for trekking.

Purchased At:   WeBike - Roadshop Va

Bike Setup:   Brand new Ghost SE 7000 Midseason (1500$)

Submitted by Mr.Treeve a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2009

Strengths:    Harder than fudge but not as tasty...

Weaknesses:    Stainless eyelet has pulled through rim, and I only use it to ride to work!

Bottom Line:
    I use my Rockhopper for commuting to work, never taken it offroad.
    after 3 months of light use (3 days per week commuting, 15miles per day, on road, I'm 200lbs +kit bag), the spokes started popping every week (replaced broken spoke as soon as I got home). After 5 went I had full spoke re-build with DT Swiss by LBS, in comparison the Specialized supplied spokes appeared to be made from soft poo, not drawn out butted stainless steel like DT's finest wires.
    Now after 6 months of regular every day commuting (4-5days a week now and I off road with my full suss at weekends), the spokes are fine but a nipple has pulled through the Alex rim (thought I'd noticed a bit of a whip in the backend). The whip was consistent with a snapped spoke (experienced previously) but all were tensioned evenly, it was on this inspection that I noticed the bulging rim under the brand sticker.
    Proper DISAPPOINTING.
    How long would it have lasted if I used it off-road?
    Should've bought a 3speed sturmy archer...

Favorite Trail:   Southdowns / Wales

Purchased At:   wheeliesdirect C2W s

Similar Products Used:   Spesh Stout Hubs/Mavic 117's . Hope3 Hubs/DT Swiss 4.2D/DT Swiss SP's

Bike Setup:   2008 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (these wheels), 2004 Specialized Enduro (custom built everything)

Submitted by Anon a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2009

Strengths:    A bit stronger than fudge, but not as tasty...

Weaknesses:    Hard to tell as the whole Specialized hub, spoke build, Alex rim package is disgustingly rubbish!

Bottom Line:
    I use my Rockhopper for commuting to work, never taken it offroad.
    Proper DISAPPOINTING.
    How long would it have lasted if I used it off-road?
    Should've bought a sturmy archer...

Purchased At:   wheelies direct

Similar Products Used:   Mavic X117 on Spesh Stout hubs, Hope3/DT Swiss 4.2D/SP DT Swiss spokes,

Bike Setup:   Bog standard Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (these wheels)
    2004 Enduro, other wheels

Submitted by Robotdancer a Cross Country Rider from Yorkshire, UK

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap cheerfull, plenty strong enough and they roll!

Weaknesses:    weight, not the most cutting edge kit

Bottom Line:
    As previously stated, can't see why some people have a downer on this product. It's a good solid (and good looking) smart money product. I've run these on my XC hardtail on the Yorkshire dales and VTT runs in the alps with no problems. Of course if you downhill them or start using them in the terrain park you're gonna come unstuck... but hey if you're dumb enough to do that you probably won't read this... So in short: Smart, simple, well enough made, not the most cutting edge but good value.

Favorite Trail:   Any VTT trail in Chamonix