Alex Rims DM24 Rim

2.88/5 (16 Reviews)
Weight : 395 grams MSRP : $23.00

The Alex DM24 Rim is a lightweight yet strong and durable rim for BMX riding. Pinned joint with sidewall wear indicator line and eyelets Rim Depth: 16.4 mm Brake Compatibility: Rim Brake Valve: Schrader Tire Type: Clincher Weight: 395 g

Submitted by dAjUiCe a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2014

Strengths:    - Fine for commuting

Weaknesses:    - Poor quality
- Not meant for mountain biking on trails
- If you're a Clydesdale forget about it

Bottom Line:
These rims came with my mountain bike bought in 2012. For the first year of owning the bike, I didn't have time to take it on the trail (XC). My regular commuter bike was in the shop so I used the mountain bike as a backup commuter bike. The rims performed fine as I wasn't jumping off curbs or doing anything crazy, just simply riding on the street to get to work. Last year I was able to finally take my mountain bike for some real trail riding. I did a small jump, no more than 6 inches (15cm) drop, not going fast at all with very little air, the front rim crumpled while the rear one came untrue. I'm a Clydesdale, weighing 250lbs (113kg) but the fact drop was no more than 6 inches told me this rim sucked. Unless you're using your bike as a commuter, stay away from this rim.

Submitted by tath a Weekend Warrior from poland

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2011

Strengths:    very solid, immmortal

Bottom Line:
This is the most amazing product in my bike! I bought my 1st dm24 rims back in 2005 (back wheel) and later i got another one for me front wheel. I am heavy for a rider - my weight is about 90kg - and even though that i used to ride some heavy freeride there rims never failed me! I am riding XC/Enduro right now I won't change them for lighter, since they are immortal. (i used 2.35 tyres for freeride and 2.1 for xc)

Favorite Trail:   xc/enduro trails

Bike Setup:   freeride bike for 4 years, now xc/enduro for 2

Submitted by Electrolytes a Weekend Warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2011

Strengths:    Strong, Looks nice

Bottom Line:
I really like these rims. They have been mounted on my bike for a little over a year, and paired with Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 tires (also recommended). I got the white ones, they look good in contrast with my black bike. I can't figure out how people say they are bending them so easy. I Vacation in Moab frequently, and ride a heavy-ass Iron Horse mostly downhill. I haven't even put a scratch on them. Most recently I rode a trail not on the map that the locals know as "minesweeper", Its all chunky jagged rocks on a very steep decline - No Problems. My spokes seem fine. Alex DM24 is rated for freeride use (according to Alex website), so they shouldn't fall apart when rolling off a curb. I really think that anyone building a durable bike on a budget should buy these! They work well with wider than average tires, and should work well on a hardtail too. I cannot comment on the weight because I ride a very heavy build and don't notice much difference over the WTB / Mavic wheels I broke before I put these on. I am sure there are stronger and lighter wheels out there, but for a budget build these are the way to go.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   WTB , Mavic

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse Warrior 4.0 frame w/ all better than stock parts

Submitted by Joe DePalma a Weekend Warrior from Newark, DE

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2011

Strengths:    Disc ready, durable, hub has sealed bearings

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
I use this wheel only in Winter when the going is bad. I found it on a junked Smith and Wesson police bike next to a dumpster covered in snow. I had it trued at my LBS and it rides great for what I use it for. It is much better that the stock junk on Trek bikes, and moved well for it's weight. I wouldn't use this wheel for anything other than rides where durability may be an issue, as the weight would likely bog even an experienced rider down.

Purchased At:   Found on abandoned b

Similar Products Used:   Matrix 550, Pure XCR

Bike Setup:   Trek 3700 - nothing stock

Submitted by grooveguy5 a Cross Country Rider from Gainesville, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2010

Strengths:    Sealed bearings, disk ready and sturdy.

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
I bought these wheels to replace my OEM Trek wheels that bent and broke spokes very easy. I have not broke any spokes w/ these wheels and just now after six months am getting close to needing a truing. Weight keeps me from giving five chilis though I would recommend these wheels.

Favorite Trail:   Power Lines

Purchased At:   Consignment at local

Similar Products Used:   Matrix 550 OEM Trek wheels

Bike Setup:   09' Trek 3700 w/ upgrades

Submitted by Bill a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2009

Strengths:    Rims seem solid. Came built with qualtiy hubs.

Weaknesses:    Spokes too short. I broke two nipples because the spokes didn't run the full length of the nipples. I had to rebuild both wheels completely.

Bottom Line:
I am not at all pleased by a commercial wheel builder that will use incorrect spokes. If you are thinking of buying a set, check that the spoke length is right. Check the rest of the build carefully.

Similar Products Used:   I usually build my own wheels on Mavic rims.

Bike Setup:   MTB used for commuting.

Submitted by weemac26 a Cross Country Rider from Dumfries Scotland UK

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2009

Strengths:    Found that these rims are very strong despite all the abuse they have recieved from me over the last 6 years. Lots of cross country with Gnarly decents with 4 & 5 ft drops, Jumps well & have survived several big wipeouts.

Weaknesses:    The corners have become heavily marked from the rocks kicked into them. Glad I use discs

Bottom Line:
It's all to do with how well the wheels have been built in the first place. I have trashed many wheels before getting this set. I can ride with the confidence that these wheels are as near to bomb proof.

Favorite Trail:   7 Stanes Ae & Dalbeatie

Purchased At:   Bought in 2003

Similar Products Used:   Have used Mavics & Suns before but found they felt tired quick, still find that the DM24 ride like new

Bike Setup:   Wheels are a black Hope Bulb with black WTB s/s DB spokes finished off with Cont Vert pro tyres. Fitted on Orange Patriot XCEL

Submitted by GoremanX a Weekend Warrior from Ile-Aux-Noix, QC

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2009

Strengths:    Wide, can accommodate wide tires
Good looking in black

Weaknesses:    Only 32 spokes
Bent way too easily
Heavy

Bottom Line:
I'm 6'1", 260 pounds. Because of this, everything I do on my bike is punishing. But I didn't expect the back wheel to bust a spoke just from rolling off a sidewalk. The rim went all wobbly on me, and it took me 2 hours to true it up again. Since there's only 32 spokes, the rim would un-true during every ride, and I'd have to re-straighten it again on a regular basis. I've finally replaced the spoke, but I'm now unable to get it trued anymore, it's always wobbly. Even the LBS can't get it right. I give up, I'm moving onto something stronger, preferably with 36 or 48 spokes.

I don't know how much these are worth, but since they came stock on my Kona Hoss, which is supposed to be a Clydesdale, I'm going to give them a bad value rating of 2 flaming Chilis.

As for the overall rating, I'll give them 2 because they're heavy, have few spokes, bend easily, and are generally useless.

Favorite Trail:   Island Line, Burlington, VT

Purchased At:   stock '06 Kona

Bike Setup:   '06 Kona Hoss, mostly upgraded

Submitted by Dirtcrazed a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2009

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    weak already bent back rim. front hub broke first week

Bottom Line:
piece of junk

Favorite Trail:   Industry skatepark

Purchased At:   Came Stock

Bike Setup:   08 Brodie heathen, dj2 forks deity bar stem, alien seat pivitol seat post, axiom sealed pedals, brodie cromo frame.

Submitted by SAVAGE-RIDER a Weekend Warrior from Barrie

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2008

Strengths:    Double wall wheel.
Good strength.

Weaknesses:    Heavy!!!!!
Can't get a tire on or off the damn rim.
Hard to do uphills cause of weight.

Bottom Line:
Good wheel if your just beating the trails.
Heavy though..If your going to change tires have fun with that.
3 chilli's for value. certainly coulda got something better for similar money.
4 for overall performance is good but still heavy.

Favorite Trail:   any one

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   ask me.

Submitted by ns-rider a Weekend Warrior from blyth,northumberland,uk

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2008

Strengths:    robust, solid

Weaknesses:    heavy, buckles easy

Bottom Line:
strong and there's no boubt about it ive done 4 ft drops flat to flat on to concrete and there only slightly out of true.

Favorite Trail:   glentress

Purchased At:   came on my bike

Bike Setup:   ns bikes central 1 2008

Submitted by jacksonbrowne a Racer from Cambodia

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2008

Strengths:    wide profile (32mm) supports wide (2.5@ etc) tyres very well.
some come with machined braking surface (mine didn't). (and an indicator groove/line too)
can be used with rim brakes if need be.
stainless steel eyelets.
has taken a fair amount of abuse (but not on my 1st choice, more used wheels) and remained pretty true, no flat spots etc - on hardy hardtail
good service/support direct from Alex Rims

the guys who say they fall apart have been rising them on shoddily machine-built wheels that sound liek they werent tensioned at all well - remember, wheel build is critical to strength/longevity of wheels innit

Weaknesses:    pretty heavy - and a fair bit heavier than alex suggest (i weighed em at 730g, Alex say 660g)
bit heavy than i'd ideally pick
no UK distributor still

Bottom Line:
worked fine for me going down, over obstacles etc.
bit hefty for much uphill, but then that'll just make your legs stronger in the long run innit.

a decent, reliable back-up/standby set of rims (esp for teh cheap price i paid), but not primo.

Favorite Trail:   Pagoda Trail

Similar Products Used:   mavic D521/EX721, Mavic D321 ( 729), Mavic M6

Bike Setup:   burly hardtail

Submitted by jacksonbrowne a Racer from Cambodia

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2008

Strengths:    wide profile (32mm) supports wide (2.5@ etc) tyres very well.
can be used with rim brakes if need be.
stainless steel eyelets.
good service/support direct from Alex Rims

bit heavy than i'd ideally pick
no UK distributor still

Bottom Line:
worked fine for me going down, over obstacles etc.

Favorite Trail:   Pagoda Trail

Similar Products Used:   mavic D521/EX721, Mavic D321 ( 729), Mavic M6

Bike Setup:   burly hardtail

Submitted by Helsel a Downhiller from Ashland, OR

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2008

Strengths:    They work fine if you only ride on the road

Weaknesses:    bend super easy

Bottom Line:
My buddys kona has only been on 3 real rides since he bought it, on his 2nd ride he bent his front rim to hell (it was fixable) on his 3rd ride the rear one got just as wobbley, These rims suck unless you dont ride offroad.

Favorite Trail:   All of Them