Alex Moulton Alex DH Rims Rim

4.15/5 (26 Reviews)

Alex Rims Alex DH

Submitted by roos a Cross Country Rider from hopewell jct new york

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2007

Strengths:    it looks pretty

Weaknesses:    it bent on me my second day of riding

Bottom Line:
maybe its just me but i thought they would take a little more abuse

Favorite Trail:   stewart state park

Purchased At:   came with bike

Bike Setup:   stock gt i drive 5 4.0

Submitted by Sean Mossman a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, TX , Dallas

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2007

Strengths:    I have the RM 18's these are built to last. This rim is awsome. I am new to MTB (18 mo's) but was heavily in to BMX back in the day and no quaility. I am about 200 lbs and have taken 4 ft. drop off on to pavement. The wheel is still true. I was considering buying some Mav's for my bike because of the awsome looks and rep but can not justify the purchase as the Alex rims have impressed me that much.

Weaknesses:    Some what heavy as comapares to others but the added benefit of not bending under extreme pressure.

Bottom Line:
I have not really tried any other quality rim but from what I have put this rim through I am not sure if a more expensive rim is worth the money or could take the abuse frankly. Truth be told, I was hoping this rim would suck and could justify an upgrade but really can find no fault. Bike snob's will probably frown on this wheel as it is not that expensive and not the most recognized bet this is a worker wheel and a true value. As I look to the future I see Alex Rim's becoming a price point leader in the market of rims.

Similar Products Used:   Stock no name generics

Bike Setup:   Haro v3 upgraded. The only original part on the bike is the rims.

Submitted by christian a Weekend Warrior from england

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2007

Strengths:    am reviewing alex rm18 wheelset came on scott yz2.must admit am usually lazy at doing this sort of selfless activity but am so impressed with my wheels that i must tell the world.i've done many flat landed jumps(5foot) with these,with 180 degree aerial turns,so getting sideways twist combined with bottoming out forks and they are bomb proof!! i don't know if they are heavy or not but i think they are great.i would buy them for any use.

Weaknesses:    ??

Bottom Line:
greaaat!

Purchased At:   moons cycles

Bike Setup:   scott yz2 with very low spec forks(came with bike)suntour i think

Submitted by Jarrad Timmermans a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne Victoria Australia

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2006

Strengths:    Tough as hell. Never had a problem with them. Go off drops and massive drops and they survive. Great look.

Weaknesses:    if you stack and the bike lands on the side of the rim the bearings will go. (That hardly happens)

Bottom Line:
Top pair of rims if you like EXTREME HARDCORE riding get them its worth the money and they dont feel cheepish.

Favorite Trail:   Lakeside doubleus and Bridge Jumps Garfield dirt track

Purchased At:   Gold Cross Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Sun rims they are sh#*. Broke them first big jump

Bike Setup:   2005 Mongoose Thunderball Marzocchi Dirt Jam Pro,Kenda Blue Groove,Truvativ Husselvelt Craks, head stem, peddals and handle bars

Submitted by john narin a Weekend Warrior from calgary alberta

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2006

Strengths:    any size of drops

Weaknesses:    flat land this rim at a height of three ft. or bigger it will bend a little

Bottom Line:
pretty good rim but you dont wanna flat land this rim a whole lot but it only bends a little if you do but this rim is great for five, six, seven foot drops to down hill

Favorite Trail:   c o p

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   sun ditch witch

Bike Setup:   rocky mountain flow 3.0 05

Submitted by Zachary Ohare a Downhiller from Co springs CO

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2006

Strengths:    Actually im reviewing the alex DM-18...this thing is the bomb!!! ive only had them for like 2 mos but my friend used them for a yr or two...hes a major downhiller and when i received the wheels they were in perfect true...(he swears he never trued them and I believe him cus when something of his is out of true...that means he broke it...)

Weaknesses:    NONE!!!!!(maybe a bit heavy but perfect for trail riding yet light enough for XC)

Bottom Line:
The best rim ive used so far...although ive heard that ringle UFO's can match in strength(although they are way lighter than the alex)I guess all i can say is if u find a An ALEX DM-18 wheelset for 120$ or under...BUY IT!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   the chutes @ stratton open space

Purchased At:   My friend wasnt using them

Similar Products Used:   Um..NONE!!! mavics are losers compared to these babies!!!

Bike Setup:   Trek 4100 w/ all LX/XT components...rockshox Psylo U-turn(my fav fork out of all ive tried) 26 lbs

Submitted by MICHAEL MIKE a Weekend Warrior from BC

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2005

Strengths:    IT LOOKS AMAZING,TIRE SNAPS ON EASY,WIDE,RUNS V-BRAKES AND RUNS 26'24'20'SIZES

Weaknesses:    IF U GET IT DONE BY FACTORY,IT'S CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,A PIECE ,I DIDNT EVEN GET OF THE GROUND AND THEIR BEND

Bottom Line:
IT'S NICE IF BUILD

Purchased At:   ROCKY CYCLE

Bike Setup:   COOL FREERIDE,ACID

Submitted by Ryan a Downhiller from Vermont

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2005

Strengths:    (This is the DX-32) Super stiff, wide, look great, disc or v brakes, many different sizes and spoke hole options

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
Awsome rim, absolutely no complaints, ive ridden this rim so hard, and it hasnt budged. Not too expensive.

Favorite Trail:   catamount

Similar Products Used:   MX-22, Ditch Whitch, d321, Ryhno Lyte

Bike Setup:   2003 Norco Sasquatch

Submitted by Haazoo Bazookimba from Austin

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2004

Strengths:    Wide... strong... stiff... black.

Weaknesses:    Heavy.

Bottom Line:
I have the DX32 rims and they are by far the heaviest, sturdiest, and strongest rims I have on any of my bikes. They are wider than my other rims by what looks like 2x and allow the tire to open up a bit wider. 2.3 and 2.35 tires look like 2.4 tires on my other bikes. The footing is solid and stable, and worrying about folding the rims is nonexistent. I had been using these rims with Kenda DH tires up until recently, and nailing square edge concrete ledges and stairs had no effect on the rim. In fact, despite doing that several times, I was still running the original tires and tubes. The combination of these rims, DH tires, and DH tubes makes for a practically invincible setup.

But... it's heavy as sand. I hopped on a friend's bike with Rhyno Lites and liter tires and was amazed at the responsiveness. So I swapped to lighter tires and tubes. Now I have a combination of fast tires, and strong wheels. The stability is there, the stiffness is there, and with the tires pumped up, I shouldn't have to worry about flats.

I'd still like a lighter wheel, but shaving weight comes at the cost of sacrificing strength and for what I ride, I think these rims are fine.

Favorite Trail:   street

Purchased At:   Cycle Solutions

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 219, 223, 221

Bike Setup:   Fatty fat fat

Submitted by Scott McKenzie a Downhiller from Grants Pass, OR United States

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2003

Strengths:    Bomb proof. I did a 7.5 footer to flat and their still round.A little side wobble but not bad enough to true.

Weaknesses:    none yet.

Bottom Line:
The best rear wheel I've had. And in 6 months I'll update the condition of the wheel

Favorite Trail:   Any steep downhill Trail

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   Nuke proof 18" xc frame, Z-1 fork alex DX32 rear wheel with kenda Kinetics 2.35 tire, Araya front wheel with intense 2.35 FRO tire

Submitted by tyler robbins a Weekend Warrior from madison, WI

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2003

Strengths:    take abuse, true easily,

Weaknesses:    heavy, but who cares

Bottom Line:
i was all drunk one night and I decided to ride up a flight of step at full pace and pinch flatted my front and rear tires... well, first off thornproof tubes and something bigger than a 1.95 would have help.... but anyways.... I made a bit of a flat spot that night, and it was a tad untrue, but it wasn't the rim itself that was flatened, I just bent the side walls, but with a little vice grip action (I know I know, that's bad) and a visit to the trueing stand, they're as good as new, I've taken plenty of drops on them and they have held up perfectly, I'd consider using them on another bike.

Favorite Trail:   dirt ones

Similar Products Used:   sun rhinolite, zac19 (crap), cr 16, dw8000

Bike Setup:   redline monocog, marzocchi z5, panaracer xc pro back, irc front

Submitted by Adacu Worwin a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa/Winnipeg

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2002

Strengths:    This makes a good rear wheel because the fact that its wide and easier to manual on.

Weaknesses:    I broke it after 6 weeks! It cracked with no other sign of damage! It also needs to be trued more often than most wheels.

Bottom Line:
I think their are better rims out their for the price! If I can't get this rim fixed on warrenty then I will mast likly go with a Sun Intense DH rim!

Favorite Trail:   Bromont Quebec

Purchased At:   Fulltilt

Similar Products Used:   sun ditch witch, Excaliber

Bike Setup:   2001 norco drop!

Submitted by Steve a Downhiller from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2002

Strengths:    Triple Walled.
Welded Joint.
Strong as all holy hell, can not be beaten.
Huge.

Weaknesses:    Weight, but for the strength you get, WHO CARES?
Bike shops won't see me purchasing any rims for the rest of my life.
Doesn't come in 24".

Bottom Line:
The Bottom Line... want a rim that can last forever? You've found it. Don't buy it for a race bike, you'll be super slow. It's not light.

A BMX background brought this rim to the forefront. I saw one built on a Norco Torrent at my LBS, and knew right then it was my next rear rim.

I break rims. I'm not super smooth. This rim... I can not describe. It will take every single thing you throw at it, laugh in your face, spit on you, then say: "Thank you sir, may I have another?"

Planet X stole it, just because they couldn't come up with anything better. It started as a BMX rim, which Alex is also famous for, and now it's been brought in to the MTB world.

All in all, if you want a rim that will be passed down to your children, thier children, and so on for generations, buy it. You will not be disapointed.

My only gripe is that is doesn't come in 24", but for my riding style, I prefer 26" anyway.

Favorite Trail:   Woodlot Gold

Purchased At:   Review for Alex Supra Sigma

Similar Products Used:   Ditch Witch (broke it), Vuelta Excalibur (great front rim, busted one rear).

Bike Setup:   Purpose built Shore hardtail, Vuelta DH up front, the biggest mofo; Alex Supra Sigma out back.

Submitted by Jack Fraser a Weekend Warrior from Detroit MI

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap, maybe?

Weaknesses:    Edge of rim tape is VERY SHARP - slices and dices inner tubes. Flat city! Also needs truing more than other brands used.

Bottom Line:
REPLACE the rim tape ASAP with a thicker cloth-based product. If you don't you'll be fixing flats forever. This rim is CHEEEP.

Favorite Trail:   Waterfront

Purchased At:   Came with Montague CX-21 bike

Similar Products Used:   Just OEM rims.

Bike Setup:   Montague CX-21 folder

Submitted by sam from shouldnt matter

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2002

Strengths:    strong, i never worry about braking them. dont seem to heavy but i a used to them so i cant tell. lots of other people have said they are very strong also.

Bottom Line:
good strong rim. great for urban assult. get them if you want strong rims.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere