Home | Reviews | Hub | WTB

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

WTB New Paradigm Hubs

Submitted by G from Colorado

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2006

Strengths:    Well Built

Bottom Line:
The guy from Germany is smokin' crack

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Bike Setup:   WTB Phoenix

Submitted by Lou a Cross-Country Rider from Marin, CA

Date Reviewed: March 22, 1999

Strengths:
Sturdy & rigid hubs!! Paired with Mavic X517 wheels & double butted spokes, I got all kinds of extra confidence and control on high-speed, bumpy descents.

Weaknesses:
So far, the only downside is the cost - pretty expensive. but I expect to get it all back (and then some) in maintenance cost savings due to the Grease Guard feature.

Bottom Line:
These hubs made their maiden voyage at the '99 Sea Otter Classic. Overall, I think was able to cut a good 2-3 minutes off of my time due to faster descending (more control & confidence). However, the hubs are new. I'll post another review in a few months.

less than 1 month

Shimano LX & XT hubs.

Cannondale M700 frame.

Submitted by T.R. a cross-country rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: February 1, 1999

Bottom Line:

The WTB Hubs are not very durable, although I greased them after every ride in wet conditions. I did not have trouble with the front hub, but after one year the left bearing of the rear hub was destroyed, I had to replace it. This is very early for a hub that costs in Germany 500 DM. So I did not guess that they are hubs for life, recently i replaced both hubs an buyed a pair of XTR.

Submitted by Chris W a cross-country rider from Yorkshire

Date Reviewed: August 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

SUPERBThe best hubs I have seen. Stiff, reliable and bomb proof, so what if they are a bit heavy, I'll just clean the mud off frame! Mine is still running sweetly after many hard, wet miles, and I haven't needed the grease guard yet!! When my other wheels die I'll be getting some more.

Submitted by Graeme a downhiller from Mt Tam WTB is my neighbor

Date Reviewed: August 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

What can you say about WTB? There the best of the best. The Greese Guard
system can dubble the life of your component! Why hasn't anyone else thoughht
of this? Doesn't everyone want longer lasting parts? And the greese gun is so
simple just pump it in and your done. Even though they may be a little obease they make up for it in the long run. These hubs will last you a life time.

Submitted by Bill a cross-country rider from OH

Date Reviewed: July 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

I'd have to agree with the earlier review. These are heavier than some others but I'd rather live with a little extra weight to gain the extra durability. It makes such great sense to purge the old dirty grease with clean stuff on a regular basis. Let the weight weenies have their disposable components. I'll also be trying one of the bottom brackets soon.

Submitted by Mr. Bill a racer from Nevada City, CA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

I can't believe there is only one review of these hubs! WTB hubs are the best of them all! I have been abusing a pair for two years now and I'm sold on their durability and ease of service. Come back from a wet ride and pump the chocolate pudding out of the bearings till it's fresh and there you are, done. The head set is just as good if not better. Can't wait till I toast my XTR bottom bracket so I can go WTB there as well..... 5 chili's baby!!!!

Submitted by Barron a racer from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: February 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had the front hub for about a year now with no problems. The grease-guard is a nice added feature of these hubs. It allows you to grease the bearings without tearing them apart and repacking them. If I had any complaint it might be the weight, they could be a little lighter. But I would take durability over weight any day and so far this hub is as durable as any I've ever tried.