Home | Reviews | Hub | WTB

3.82/5 (17 Reviews)

WTB Momentum Hubs

Submitted by Offrhodes a Cross Country Rider from Goffstown

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2001

Strengths:    Easy to service, great customer support, nice and simple

Weaknesses:    I had one rear hub blow up (but WTB fixed under warranty)

Bottom Line:
I used to have two of the identical wheelsets, but I sold one this past year. This hubs are so simple to work on with the grease guard just squirt in some fresh grease now and then and you are all set. This does not mean you don't have to overhaul the hub though, depending on how much you ride you should still take it apart 1 or 2 times a year and totally clean it out. I had one of the rear hubs blow up on me, but WTB set me a new one in under two weeks under warranty. A great company to deal with. The one wheelset I have now has been through everything and still runs great. No creaking like other people re saying. Grease does ooze out a litle during riding, but is easy to wipe off with a rag. I highly suggest trying WTB products. Both the company and the products are high class. I will give it 5 stars, the one bad hub I had was fixed quick and professionally and I have had no problems with the replacement or the front hub in 2 years.

Favorite Trail:   anything

Similar Products Used:   XT, Sachs new success, LX

Bike Setup:   Cove handjob with mix of XT and XTR and gripshift shifters. Hubs laced to Sun Sub IV's with DT 14/15 spodes and brass nipples

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Nevada City, CA

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap. Lighter than Shimano.

Weaknesses:    Badly designed. The hub puts a side load on the cartridge bearings, causing them to seize up every 4-6 months. The dust seals are easy to install incorrectly, causing high drag. Replacement bearings extremely expensive. Unresponsive customer service (they wanted me to "send the hub back and we'll look at it" - I should pay $20 shipping on a wheel, put my bike out of commission for a few weeks, for them to maybe possibly do something?)

Bottom Line:
Buy something else if you ride regularly.

Favorite Trail:   Bullard's Bar

Similar Products Used:   Shimano (various, all good), Cane Creek (okay)

Bike Setup:   GT iDrive, Formula disks.

Submitted by weather expert a Weekend Warrior from iowa

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2001

Strengths:    easy greasing. smooth. bombproof

Weaknesses:    front hub o-rings keep faling out.

grease coming from rear hub hard to clean (i'm being picky).

Bottom Line:
kick a$$ hubs. have all the qualities you can ask for. grease guard really works and if you keep greasing it regularly, it won't be contaminated. the only problem (also happens on momentum headset) is the o-rings falling off. but still, even with the o-ring off the hub is perfrorming fine in most conditions. hopefully the new speedxc and laserxc have this problem fixed. personally, i would recommend keeping the rear hub and couple it with an xt front.

Purchased At:   oem

Similar Products Used:   stx-rc, lx, crossride

Bike Setup:   xcaliber

Submitted by Magic Matt a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2001

Strengths:    Greaseguard makes lubing easy

Weaknesses:    Poor quality parts and manufacturing; incessant creaking

Bottom Line:
I got a great deal on a WTB wheelset from Airbomb last summer. This hub began creaking after 2 months of use, although no culprit could be found. Unfortunately the rear hub completely seized up while I was through-riding Kokopelli's Trail this spring. The mechanic said poor-quality bearings were to blame. The axle stripped from the rotation - apparently poor quality as well. Even after replacement of the bearings and axle and expert reassembly, the @#$ing thing creaked horribly for 100 more miles.

I'm a WTB fan - I own two headsets and a BB. But I think quality is not what it used to be. I was very disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Commando Run

Purchased At:   airbomb.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, White

Bike Setup:   Catamount/Marzocchi Z-1 Dropoff/Stratos Helix Pro/Avid Arch Rivals/Suntour XC-Pro Thumbshifters

Submitted by jeff from dallas

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2001

Strengths:    light, durable, and stout

Weaknesses:    losening of the rear hub(minor problem)

Bottom Line:
these are awesome
even with the open system they still arent affected by the 8 creek crossings I go through on every ride
great for racing
I am about to lace these up to 517 for a bitichin wheel set
I got them in a wheel set and they made the set

Favorite Trail:   sand trails

Purchased At:   air bomb

Similar Products Used:   lx, formula,

Bike Setup:   moab 3 Z2 bam and xt stuff
moab 3 z2bam and xt stuff

Submitted by Dan Munsey a Cross Country Rider from Joshua Tree CA. 92252

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2000

Strengths:    CUSTOMER SERVICE. light wieght, looks good, smooth, trouble free!

Weaknesses:    not found yet.

Bottom Line:
Customer service rocks! I emailed a question on weather routine maintance was needed, how often, rebuild info..so on, so on. I have come to not expect much from bike companies, they usually rarely take the time to help the small-guy, they instead (if they reply at all) tell you to go to your LBS. NOT WTB"S they TELEPHONED me back, then the rep (sorry missed his name) spent about 20 min. talking hubs with me, even looking up bearing specks. FROM THIS ONE PHONE CALL THEY GOT A CUSTOMER FOR LIFE! Extremly please with the company!
OK on to the bottom line...these hubs are bomber, they (disk hubs) use cartridge bearing and need little maintance, when, if they where out pop a couple of more in. After yearsof rebuilding XT's this is a huge relief. My hubs after 3 hard months (over 100 miles crosscountry a week) are still like new!!!The laser rims have been Bomber to and take the abuse with only 1 minor tweek with a spoke wrench!!! Very happy...well exstatic actually!

Favorite Trail:   Grout Bay (Big Bear)

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR, Ringle'

Bike Setup:   XCR-1000, thomsonseatpost, easton monkey lite carbon, flite, kore stem, FSA BB/Cranks/rings, XTR rear-D, XT Front-D.

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
I run the front hub. I ran over my wheel/hub with my honda accord. Broke my skewer tip clean off and bent the skewer 90 degrees. The Hub??? Fine, no problems, no sh**. I couldn't believe it since my car obviously ran over the hub axle. I would be crazy not to be satisified. Incidentally, my WTB lazerbeam rims were fine too. Still true!

Bike Setup:   2000 GT XCR 1500

Submitted by Sherman a Weekend Warrior from British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2000

Strengths:    Grease guard
Front is easy to rebuild

Weaknesses:    Rear uses the cone and nut system

Bottom Line:
The front hub is great because it is so easy to take apart and put back together, I have not had a problem with the bearings yet and I don't use the grease guard too often, probably once a month or so. The grease guard system is great. The rear hub only has the grease guard on one side and it still uses the cone and nut system on the drive side. It would be nice if they were both sealed bearings. I have had troubles with the rear wheel loosening because of the cone and nut system. I would not buy the rear hub again but I am totally sold on the front.

Similar Products Used:   XT

Submitted by Rob Butner a Racer from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2000

Strengths:    Greaseguard, weight, smooth

Weaknesses:    discharge (not bad)

Bottom Line:
Used these for about 2 months now and they are still workign great. Had to bring it in for a quick adjustment of the tightness of the hub, but throw the grease in with a grease gun and let the old cr*p ooze out, and you got some smooth runnin hubs again!

Favorite Trail:   Soquel Demo

Similar Products Used:   LX Hub

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper, JudyXC, CODA Crankset, XTR/XT

Submitted by Nuwanda a Racer from Lillooet, BC, Canada (eh!)

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2000

Strengths:    Light, Grease Guard (no maintenance), and easily re-buildable.

Bottom Line:
I'm extremely pleased with these hubs. I have a speedo, and have logged over 5,000 miles, and the WTB's still roll smooth and solid. Riding with fellow gear heads, the WTB's roll faster than the XTR's and XT's. The Grease Guard is an invaluable feature. A shot of grease once or twice a month will ensure hub life to at least 10,000 miles! This winter I embarked on re-building both hubs. After a quick e-mail to WTB, two days later the replacement cartridge bearings & accessories arrived. Pop out the old, pop in the new, and it's hit the road Jack! The rear hub was more work - the cog side bearing isn't a cartridge, it uses a Shimano XT cup, cone and steel bearings. Bottom line - I'd definitely buy WTB again, that is if these ones ever die.

Favorite Trail:   Samson's, Spanky's & Spare Parts

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR, XT, and Machine Tech

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Vertex T.O.

Submitted by James Connell a Racer from Fredricksburg, Va

Date Reviewed: October 5, 1999

Strengths:
light weight, very smooth.
great for road riding and other applications where heavy exposure to and imersion in possible conaminants is not likely

Weaknesses:
judging from what I have read in the other reviews, if I ever decided to take my raod bike through a muddy stream, I might have some issues. but since that isn't going to happen.. none that I can see.

Bottom Line:
While I probably wouldn't put this hub on my mountain bike, I like it pretty well for a road bike, I am running the momentum up front and ultegra in back, and have been very pleased with the momentum hub compared to my past experiences with ultegra, low price (I think cambria bike online was selling the front hubs for something like $30) and light weight make it a great choice

mostly skinny tire stuff. only use my mtb on the weekends

6 months

Ultegra, Dura Ace, older Campy chorus,
the momentum does not feel as smooth as the dura ace hubs on my tubular wheelset, but it beats ultegra front, my old chorus hubs and with a light skewer it beats both in weight

aluminum trek road frame, ultegra600/ Dura ace drivetrain, 600 downtube levers, ultegra rear hub, wtb momentum front hub, velocity razor rims, Wheelsmith spokes...
basically whatever I could get used or cheap

Submitted by Steve a Cross-Country Rider from Minneapolis, MN

Date Reviewed: September 25, 1999

Strengths:
Grease Guard, almost as smooth as a campy record hub.

Weaknesses:
Grease seals don't seal all that well, grease keeps oozing out. Pricy

Bottom Line:
Super smooth and easy to keep greased, but they tend to get a little messy if you don't keep wiping off the grease that oozes out as you ride. Overall a very good hub, but they should have some of these problems worked out for the price that they go for.

6 months

Suntour XC Pro
Shimano LX

Fuji Pro Frame
Mixed components
Judy SL fork

Submitted by GREG a weekend warrior from CALGARY,ALBERTA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've been riding on my wtb hubs for a year and a half and have not had a single problem with them. I'm not too much of a stickler for weight and the greaseguard feature is really nice for monthly maintenance. When the time comes to replace them, front or back, I'll probably go with something a little bit more trick, but for now they have not let me down once.

Submitted by John Thomas a cross-country rider from Arlington, VA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

I purchased the momentum front hub and laced it up to a 517. After I looked at these reviews, I was pretty pissed off at myself for buying it. Despite the reviews, the bearings are extremely smooth and the grease guard system rules. To add to the seals, I put some rubber front hub boots from an old sovos hub on. Hopefully this will help aid to the life of the hub. I think the general concept of these hubs is to put in new grease after every muddy ride, which would eliminate the bearing problem, but makes the grease guard system absolutely worthless! If you don't have to overhaul a good ol' XT hub after about a year, what's the point of making an easy overhauling system that you have to use so frequently? Anyway, as far as my first impression, these hubs deserve a 5 (very high quality, very smooth, etc.) I'll review these again later once I am able to come to a conclusion about the seals and if they really need to be greased after every ride.

Submitted by Lee a weekend warrior from Mass

Date Reviewed: May 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

I haven't had a problem yet w/this hub. Ridden over 100 miles on it, and it's still smooth as butter. It came stock on my Proflex 857. I need to true the wheel already, which sucks, but I blame the rim (Mavic 220) and the bike shop (which did the tune up and came out still untrue) for that. I'd go with something lighter if your looking for an upgrade. 194g aint light.

WTB Momentum Hubs??

Hey does anyone have any info on this hub? Really nice looking, bearings feel really smooth, I recently picked it up at my LBS for a really good price but haven't been able to find much info. Most momentum hubs I've found have grease ports and have low flanges and are non-disc, this particular hub ... Read More »