Home | Reviews | Hub | WTB

WTB Hubs Hub

WTB New Paradigm Hubs

Submitted by andrew a Cross Country Rider from melbourne

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2007

Strengths:    nil

Weaknesses:    hub shat itself in the middle of the bush after 4 months of dry cross country riding.
No help from WTB or adrenaline bikes in the USA at all.
How can you sell an inferior product and offer no assistance when it eventually (inevitably) fails?.
Adrenaline bikes sold me these wheels as an upgrade on my Yeti 575, I shouldnt have bothered! they are CRAP

Bottom Line:
Dont bother with this useless piece of kit!
If you have got one and it lets you down, dont waste your time with WTB, they provide no help at all!

Favorite Trail:   anything single and twisty

Purchased At:   upgrade on bike

Similar Products Used:   every other hub i have used has been great!

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575 enduro build kit

Submitted by Grant a Racer from Macon, GA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight. Simple design. Sealed bearings. High flanges.

Weaknesses:    The freehub body did go out on me.

Bottom Line:
I happily and enthusiastically raced and rode these things hard for two or three years before the free hub body went kablooey on me at the start of a race last year. Sure enough, it was the spring which engaged the pawl drive that had bent back on itself that was to blame. The new free hub had a considerably thicker and more robust spring and better pawls, so I guess they figured out what the problem was there.

Three years and little to no maintenance before the meltdown does not earn them a black eye in my book. In every other respect they have been stellar.

Favorite Trail:   Arrowhead Park

Purchased At:   Bike Tech Macon

Similar Products Used:   Cup and Cone xt hubs.

Submitted by RP24Hours a Cross Country Rider from Irvine CA

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    Funky engagement system, bearings go away pretty quickly

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the Laser Disc Lite hubs...

I have two wheelsets built with these hubs.

The first set lasted about 2 years before the actuator spring in the cam plate pawl system wore to the point where the freehub would skip and not fully engage.

Like other posters, e-mails to WTB got no response. When I called, they were very helpful and got me what I needed. The guy I talked to told me that they had beefed up the wire spring and changed the cam plate to include raised sections that helped it engage more quickly. Since the hub was past the warranty period (1 year) they offered me the parts at dealer cost.

As far as bearings, I got my first set from WTB under warranty. They lasted about as long as the first, which was about a year. To be fair, I put a lot of miles on my MTB each year. I bought a set of Enduro bearings and they are about 18 month old and have already outlasted the OE bearings.

While they do need more maintenance and TLC, they are fairly easy to service, do not require special service tools like my DT Swiss or King hubs, and are pretty light. Col;orado Cyclist still has these wheels for $350 and they weigh about 1550 gms without QR skewers.

Favorite Trail:   SJT

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, DT Swiss

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth, XTR/Sram X-0

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2006

Strengths:    high flange, lightweight, satin finish, smooooth bearings!

Weaknesses:    doesn't come with QR skewers,

Bottom Line:
was looking for an upgrade to disc and saw the amazing price. looked up some reviews on it but wasn't phased, trust WTB products. got them with 819 and spin forever. i love the high flange, offers a much stiffer feel than my rim brake crossmax UST wheelset! WTB rocks! love their products.

Bike Setup:   trail bike

Submitted by Craig a Cross Country Rider from Rochester, MN

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2006

Strengths:    Weight, engagement has been great, large diameter hub=shorter spokes and stronger wheels

Bottom Line:
I was a little skeptical about these hubs because it is hard to find information about them. Anyway, I talked to CC about 5 times and then I called WTB about them. Of course the people selling will tell you anything so judging by my experiences with wtb's saddles, tires and other parts I took the leap and bought the wheels. Evidently, WTB bought the design from american classic which have 'adjustable' bearings. These bearings need occasional adjustments, but I haven't touched mine yet. Here is the skinny on what I think of the hubs:

I weigh about 220 and occasionaly bottom out a 900 lb. coil on the back of my Kona. This hub has held up great to many miles of rocks, roots, racing and pulling the burley. Great product. I purchased the X717 disc along with WTB laser lite hubs (CC special) and have put about 800 miles of hard summer riding on them. Both products have held up really well and plan to ride them into the ground (4-5 years).

I have had my Kona for about 4 season and this summer I developed a crack in the chainstay. This crack was the result of years of twisting force from the cranks, developed likely because of pedaling force, rough riding and weighing 200 lb+. This summer I have ridden harder than ever and the WTB hubs and the disc 717's have taken it very well. I have only tightened the spokes once, and the hubs, with 185 mm rotors have been champs. Believe me, if these hubs were weak I would post it here.

I wanted something which would last several years and I just couldn't justify a costly crossmax or King/X717, although someday may have to splurge on those.

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   lx hubs w/ rhyno-lites which i rode for 6 year and are still on an older hard tail -they won't die!

Bike Setup:   Kona Bear/Dawg w/ sram X9

Submitted by Alan a Racer from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2006

Strengths:    Weight

Weaknesses:    Extremely poor bearing quality/seals on bearings...after three months the bearings were shot...unrealiable freehub engagement mechanism, the pawls would frequently slip while engaged.

Bottom Line:
This if for the Laser Disc Lite hubset

Poor customer service on WTB's part. These hubs are based on an American Classic design that was recalled for the Ritchey and American classic made iteneration of this hub due to freehub problems. Although WTB never recalled their hubsets. Basically worthless hubs...Deore hubs are more reliable and smoother rolling then these things

Submitted by Ed a Cross Country Rider from Los Gatos, CA

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2006

Strengths:    Came with bike, CHEAP.

Weaknesses:    CHEAP, NOT DURABLE.

Bottom Line:
WTB Laser Disc "Super Duty" is a f$&king joke.
I've owned the bike for 18 months and done moderate XC riding with a single downhill day (1 single ride at Northstar - Bonebreak) before the rear hub broke. No engagement of the pedals, the hub would not engage anymore. Bike had probably 30 rides total on it before then. Bought new in Dec 04, broke in July 05. WTB gave the shop the run around, finally Santa Cruz fixed it on warranty.
Went on a moderate XC ride yesterday (6/1/06), it broke again, same problem, won't engage. For a freeride part, this is a total joke. I'm a OLD (40+) moderately heavy (190 lbs), XC rider who's aspiring to be a freerider, just starting to do baby 3' jumps. I talked to the shop at Northstar where it broke the first time and they said they had a demo fleet of VP Frees where 40% of the fleet suffered the same fate. Going back to Chris King. Too bad, I like WTB's grips and tires, and I'd like to support local companies, but there must be monkeys designing/building this part, not to mention that they didn't want to hear about the problems, nor help out on warranty. Don't buy this part, it's CRAP!

Purchased At:   Reed's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, XTR, Chris King.

Bike Setup:   Stocker Santa Cruz VP Free with 888.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from TO, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight, front hub still spins nicely.

Weaknesses:    WTB customer service. The freehub stopped engaging reliably and the bearings are all contaminated. This is after a year or so of hard riding, so I'm cool with it, but when I requested info from WTB on how to service the freehub, they wouldn't even humor me with a response. I wasn't even asking for anything for free.

Bottom Line:
Why do they even spend a dime on advertising when they won't take a minute to retain their existing customers? Obviously nobody went to business school over there. Anyway, I'm replacing the rear hub with something else.

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Submitted by rockrabbit a Racer from ozarks

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2006

Strengths:    low cost, light weight, takes a beating

Weaknesses:    no bling

Bottom Line:
This review is for the WTB Laser Disc Lite hubs laced to Mavic 717s. Colorado Cyclist has been selling this wheelset for a long time at the same price. I weigh 150lbs and race expert class xc.

This wheelset has put up with a lot of abuse in all conditions. It has gotten me through countless races and epic training rides with absolutely no problems.

I hate to gush on a mail order house, but I have gotten 3 wheelsets from CC and they have all been bomber.

Favorite Trail:   hi-chi

Purchased At:   colorado cyclist

Similar Products Used:   DT, Shimano, Mavic

Bike Setup:   Truth

Submitted by Ace a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2006

Strengths:    Super light, cool looking, engages super quick, and silent. Front hub rocks.

Weaknesses:    Bearings are not fully sealed in hub or easily servicable. Rear hub sucks!

Bottom Line:
Review is for the 2004 LaserDisc Lite Hubs

Front hub is still super fast and quiet. Will roll forever. No complaints.

Rear hub is a different story. After only 9 months of riding the rear hub is shot. Haven't tried to service hub yet but bearings feel rough and grease feels like it was too heavy.

In my opinion, save your money and get a good set of time tested reliable hubs like Chris King, DT, American Classic, etc. Hubs are a super important component and worth spending extra money on. WTB makes some good stuff and hopefully they will perfect their hubs if they haven't already.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, FSA, and Mavic

Bike Setup:   Scandium/carbon hartail race machine with new FSA XC-300 wheels.

Submitted by Joe Heidler a Cross Country Rider from Red Lion Pa USA

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2006

Weaknesses:    WTB, this response is not about the hub I purchased, it is about the customer no service. They do not bother to response to customer questions and their web site is worthless. I could not find any technical information on the hub that purchased and they did not return my e-mail after two tries All I needed was an answer to some simple information that I needed.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy from this company if you expect service

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   XT, Sram, Spot, Surly

Bike Setup:   Lightspeed Niota and Surly 1X1

Submitted by JustABiker a Cross Country Rider from Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2006

Strengths:    lightweight

Weaknesses:    A very poor design

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the WTB LaserDisc Lite hubs which came stock on my bike. After just a handful of rides, the rear hub slipped and would no longer engage. Contacted WTB customer service and they fixed the problem. WTB said the problem was due to the engagement plate so they replaced it. Okay, the hub is fixed and I wouldn't have to worry about it any longer right? No... the hub started slipping again after just a few rides. Contacted WTB and they said they would ship out the internal parts to replace but it haven't heard from them (it has been about a year now and I think it may just be a waste of time to try to fix this again only to have it break).

Similar Products Used:   Shimano hubs

Submitted by K a Cross Country Rider from Ann Arbor, MI

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2005

Strengths:    Light and strong. Very interesting (though unnecessary) ratchet mechanism.

Weaknesses:    Bearings and seals, the Chin Huar bearing are complete crap

Bottom Line:
These hubs have been pretty strong for all of the bombing that this 180+ lbs rider has thrown at them. The wheels from Mike at oddsandendos.com builds are completely stellar! (and a good deal too)

Now onto the bearings. After doing some driving (roof rack)and riding in the rain (no full submersions) I was shocked the next day to find 1 of my cassette bearing seized, one nearly unturnable and 2 pretty darn gritty. It's unclear to me whether water came in through the bearing or the seal between the cassette and the hub. The one thing I do know it that the bearings have seals that flowed solvent so readily I at first thought the back side didn't have seals! A complete design flub to save a couple bucks on crappy bearings. In contrast, I've had to replace two White Industries bearings in over ten years and they simply were gritty.

WTB promised to ship me new bearings and even asked if I was out of commission (seized bearings on vacation suck!), I'm still waiting on the bearing so the jury is out on customer service.

Please note that these bearing are a "proprietary" size 15mm x 26mm x 7mm so your choices for replacements are limited. However I have found Enduro bearings in this size and might have to forgo the warrantee to keep the bike working longer.

I would probably not buy these hubs again. A great value if they would only keep working...

Purchased At:   oddsandendos.com

Similar Products Used:   White industries ti rear and tracker front (for over 10 years trouble free!)

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight with Reba, Hope Minis, XT cranks

Submitted by Shaz a Cross Country Rider from South Florida

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2005

Strengths:    Light and almost silent. Smooth spinning

Weaknesses:    None noted

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the LaserDisc Light Hubs. I had these hubs on prior bike (stumpjumper FRS Pro). Had new wheels built by LBS when got new frame. Haven't had a minutes trouble with them in the year I've been riding them. They are smooth, almost silent -no annoying buzz.... and the wheel spins forever. Wheels stay true, and they are light. I am a 140lb rider and would highly recommend them.

Favorite Trail:   All of Markham Park

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5, full XTR, Mavic 717, Easton Monkeylight, CK headset, Avid Mechanical

Submitted by Andrew a Downhiller from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2005

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    Not reliable. Breaks easily. Poorly designed and manufactured. No worth it's weight in spit.

Bottom Line:
CRAP CRAP CRAP!!! This thing is crap. I've had my bike less than a year and it has broken not once, but twice!! costing me valuable riding days!!! I'm so pissed at Santa Cruz for allowing this crap to be put on their bikes that I curse their name in my sleep now. Damn them!! Damn them to all heck!!

Favorite Trail:   Wahsatcchh!!