White Industries Hubs Hub

3.89/5 (135 Reviews)

White Ti Cassette/Tracker

Submitted by kroe a Cross Country Rider from Wallingford, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2009

Strengths:    Light, very durable, easy to service, parts availability.

Weaknesses:    Price.

Bottom Line:
I have owned this set of White Industries titanium axle hubs since 1997. I rode them very hard for about three years, and never had an issue with them. I was away from the sport for a while, and recently rebuilt my old bike and got back into it. I rebuilt the hubs, and with a $12 parts order with White Industries (which unlike most manufacturers from the time I bought these still exists), replaced the pawl springs, re-oiled the hubs, and they were good as new.

These are lifetime hubs. They are dead simple inside, and the manufacturer supports their product. Expensive, but well worth it.

I would buy them again in a second, but will never need to.

Favorite Trail:   Tyler Mill

Purchased At:   Newington Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR, Specialized

Bike Setup:   1997 S-Works m2 Team, SID world cup, built up very light.

Submitted by Dave Wright a Cross Country Rider from Greenville, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2008

Strengths:    Light, well machined, and beautifully polished. Cleanly engineered and reliable way to tension vertical dropout single speed bikes. Set up and field adjustment easy on my bike. Reeks of quality.

Weaknesses:    None yet, but then it doesn't bother me that my back brake is a V instead of a disc. I do not anticipate that my brakes will need to be readjusted as the chain wears and wheel position shifts slighty, but that would be a disadvantage if it happened. If so, I will post an updated review.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the White Industries Eccentric ENO Single Speed Hub that allows chain tension adjustment on vertical dropout frames. Price was for the entire wheel.

There is no alternative to this hub if you want to ride a vertical dropout frame as a single speed. It may even be a better solution than the EBB, because there is no risk of creaking and it may be easier to change between gears on the trail. Rock solid drivetrain.

After installing the wheel and adjusting the tension a couple times the process becomes second nature. Here's my process with a couple tips. It takes a lot less time to do than to write.
-- Thread the chain on and drop the wheel in place.
-- Tighten an adjustable wrench onto the flats of the eccentric piece that is opposite the freewheel.
-- Set the bolts 1/2 turn away from tight. This allows adjustment but resists slightly.
-- Rotate the eccentric so that the chain is too tight.
-- Slowly turn the cranks. There will be slack and tight spots around the rings. The tight spots will pull the eccentric hub toward the bottom bracket a bit.
-- Use the adjustable wrench to loosen the chain a bit more; you'll get a feel for it after a couple times.
-- Tighten the wheel bolts and enjoy your ride.

Favorite Trail:   Full ride @ Paris Mountain SP

Purchased At:   webcyclery

Similar Products Used:   Chain tension adjusted by Surly Singleator, which was a good way to get into single speeding but ultimately was pitched on account of noise, friction, and occasional chain skip.

Bike Setup:   2000 Marin Eldridge Grade hardtail modified with this wheel to be a single speed. The wheel is laced to a Mavic 717 rim and driven by a White Industried 17/19 Dos Eno Freewheel. The crank end of the drive has Salsa 34 & 36 tooth rings so that wheel position is the same for both gears.

Submitted by Jekyll a Cross Country Rider from San Diego CA

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2008

Strengths:    Super slick look. Hand polished finish. Smooooooooooth. Ok weight-wise. Machine work looks great, the disk brake surface is machined into the hub body and it looks awesome. I especially like that I don't see these on every bike I pass on busy Saturdays.

Bottom Line:
Richard at www.prowheelbuilder.com laced these hubs to a great looking pair of DT swiss rims (5.1D's). They are fast and look the part. I really wanted something different. These hubs are classic looking, the engagement is solid, and they are fast... highly recommend. both, the white industries Hubs, and prowheelbuilder.com.

Thanks richard!!!

Favorite Trail:   Daley Ranch

Purchased At:   prowheelbuilder.com

Similar Products Used:   Mavic hubs, cross ride and cross link

Bike Setup:   GT STS 1000 DS XTR Shifters, XTR frt and rr der. Avid Code Disk brakes, XT bottom bracket and crank, Easton Handlebar and Stem. XTR Pedals, Sram chain and 990 cog (11-34) RS Recon Uturn 130mm.

Submitted by Adam a Downhiller from Henderson, Nevada

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2006

Strengths:    Truly beautiful hubs, classic, timeless, unique. Incredible performance, high tolerances, design innovation, strength. My friends have to pedal hard to keep up with me coasting downhill, its hilarious.

Weaknesses:    None really, but if we want to be nit picky...the spacers on the front hub "chub", which is a 20mm thru axel, need to be very slightly wider. This does not affect anything; I just have to put a slight amount of inward pressure on the fork arms while tightening the axel down. As I said, nit picky, other than that these are the best hubs I have ever ridden.

Bottom Line:
If you have the money and desire to own some of the best hubs available, try a set of White Industry hubs; I am sure you will be pleased with them.

Favorite Trail:   Dark Hollow, Brianhead, Utah

Purchased At:   White Industries

Similar Products Used:   Lots...for the past several years, primarily XTR. None that can even be compared, fairly.

Bike Setup:   2004 Ellsworth Joker DH 1.5 HT w/Romic rear and Manitou Breakout fork, SSR Ti seat, Salsa skewers, XTR M960 rear, XT front/pods/cassette, HFX Mag 203mm hyd. disk brakes, Race Face Turbine LP/Signature FR BB, Whipperman Full Stainless Chain, FSA bars/stem/headset, Michelin Hot S tires, Yeti bolt on grips, Thomson seat post, TruVative Holzfeller and Crank Bros Mallet M pedals, Brooklyn machined bar end caps, Sun Single Track rims, Hutchinson green tubes and of course, white industry hubs (20mm front "chub" and rear "DJ titanium") My dream bike, no expense spared...I have the CC bills to prove it, lol.

Submitted by Timothy a Cross Country Rider from redondo beach, ca

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2006

Strengths:    Strong, reliable, never let me down. Lightweight

Bottom Line:
These hubs have been built up with ti spokes and specialized rims for almost a decade. The wheels have been trued a few times, a broken spoke or two, but that's it. The hubs have never been serviced, have been riden hard and long, and have never let me down. I recently purchased a speedreamwheelset with White LTA hubs and they are just as good and I actually prefer the black anodization. They are ridiculously light and I have not had any problems yet. I weigh about 190. I am looking to build a freeride set next. Kings are great too, but I can't see much difference

Favorite Trail:   Probably in Tahoe

Similar Products Used:   Hugi, Shimano, others

Bike Setup:   Wheelset has changed from several bikes, currenty on my commuter with slicks

Submitted by Denton a Racer from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2005

Strengths:    Beautiful, easy set up, easy to mantain.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I have been racing and training on this Eno hub for just about a year now. I ride my SS bike almost all of the time if I am off road. I have had no problems with the hubs or the free hub. The ENO makes it easy to change the tension on my chain and the vertical drop outs on my bike make changing a tire effortless. I beat the hell out of my SS bike and the wheels are bomber. I took the hubs apart to give them some love and there was no dirt inside to clean. The bearings are easy to replace if needed as they are standard size sealed cartridge bearings. I have been thinking of going to an eccentric BB set up so I can run disc brakes effortlessly but I am still wondering if I will be as happy with it as I am with this ENO hub. Maybe one of each... Great product in my opinion. I weigh 155 and train and race a lot.

Favorite Trail:   Noble, San Juan, Porcupine

Purchased At:   WI

Similar Products Used:   Nothing Eccentric

Bike Setup:   WI Eno Hub disc with front WI disc hub, Giant Iguana frame, CK head set, mavic 717 hoops, Truvative cranks, WI SS free hub, Avid V-brakes, easton and Thomson goodies.

Submitted by Fred Sled a Weekend Warrior from Spawn Ranch, CA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2005

Strengths:    Strong, light, smooth, simply elegant.

Bottom Line:
I have two sets of wheels with White Industries hubs, one set with disk brakes, and one with rim brakes. The disk set is several years old and laced to their 3rd set of rims.

The rim brake set are the ones for this review, the Tracker and Aft Tracker Ti. The rear hub I purchased NOS off Ebay, the front hub was used for several years on a daily commuter bike in Washington State. I took the hub apart, polished it up to a chrome like finish and reassembled it, then laced both of them into a set of Mavic X517 wheels. I've been trail riding the wheelset for over three years now, and I weigh 200lbs. I've had to true both wheels twice since they where built and one time it was because a spoke nipple broke. I would recommend White Industries hubs to anyone building a set of custom wheels. The new hubs are even more amazing than the originals.

PS: I ride my bikes through mud on purpose. After every ride I wash them with the hose and I've never had any trouble with the bearings. Not everything is perfect everytime, but this company makes an outstanding product in my experience.

Favorite Trail:   Your Mom

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Hope, Hugi

Bike Setup:   DBR X10, Foes Weasel, Jamis Dakar

Submitted by Henry from Aliso Viejo, CA

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2005

Strengths:    Looks, weight, quality bearings, longevity, stiffness, engagement speed, standard sized bearings available at most bearing supply houses, American Made!

Weaknesses:    You have to be sure to retighten the set screws after a few rides of break in. Nothing serious.

Bottom Line:
Ok, it's been years since I last reviewed anything, but I have to give some long overdue credit to White Industries.

I've been running their products since 1997. In order of purchase, Front Tracker hub 1997, C Series crankset 1998 & 1999, Ti square taper BB 1998, Chub hub 2004, Disc Jockey rear hub 2004 & 2005, Disc Jockey front hub 2005. None of these products have ever failed me. In fact, the only reason that some of the older parts have been retired is that the frames they're hung on are a bit outdated.

So focusing on the hubs, the front tracker has been stellar for nearly 8 years and has been submerged multiple times and built into two wheels.

I've got a rear Disc Jockey hub paired with a Chub 20mm hub on my freeride style bike and that has held up very well to repeated drops and reckless riding. I expect the same out of my second set for the Fury.

Looking at and playing with the hubs is pleasing for a parts junkie. Their products are CNC'd and hand polished to a shine. The bearings are super smooth, greased-packed, Enduro style bearings which is pretty much the best off-the-shelf radial bearings you can buy. When built into a wheel, they'll spin forever. The Tracker (now called RacerX) has really spread out flanges for a very stiff wheel. Standard qr front hubs use 17mm diameter, thin walled, chromoly axles and have a 22mm contact face with the fork. Assuming you use a decent qr, this is as close to thru axle stiffness you are going to get with a quick release.

The 20mm hub has no special bells and whistles, but it looks and rides totally solid and builds up nicely. I don't understand the issues the guy below me is reporting about looseness to the axle.

I've stayed away from most aftermarket rear hubs for several years now having been bit badly by the CNC craze of the mid 90's. The White DJ is the first non-shimano rear hub I've tried in a while. It uses a stiff, 15mm, chromo axle and rides on Enduro bearings too. The rachet mechanism has 24 teeth with 3 pawls. (For those of you who care, Hugi ratchets 18 per rev, and Shimano ratchets 16 per rev.) The ratchet speed is noticeably faster than stock without making an obnoxious sound while coasting. Though they are independent, the pawls engage simultaneously with a clean sound unlike some crush prone systems I've seen and used. To the guy below me: check all the other hubs that use a pawl and ratchet ring assembly, they all go together that way and usually exhibit a little slip on only the first pedal stroke the first time it's used. It's not a problem.

Finally, you get the satisfaction of buying an American made product from a company that's been around for a long time and is staffed with nice people to talk with when you have a question. Buy their stuff because it's as good, nearly as light, and cheaper than the only other American alternative.

Similar Products Used:   Nuke Proof, Real, Shimano (XTR, XT, DX, LX, Deore), Marzocchi, Hugi, Chris King, TNT, Hershey, Ringle, Formula, Bullseye, Syncros, Hope, Mavic Crossland

Bike Setup:   MC Fury, Z1, XTR/XT mix, White Disc Jockey hubs (32h), Ritchey Disc OCR, 14/15 DT.
Azonic Saber, Stratos LR-1, Chub and DJ rear (32h), Sun Singletrack 26"F 24"R, 14/15 DT

Submitted by Douglas from Valencia

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought a Front 20mm Hub and rear hub based on reviews from this website and the wheelbuilder's recommendation.

Front Hub: To make a long story short, there was too much play between the WI hub and Marzocchi 20mm axle. Also, the dust cap and axle cap are two pieces. One of the dust caps was too loose and falls out due to an incorrect dimension on hub. I went to Marzocchi in Valencia and had them look at this. In the end I bought a Marzocchi Hub because the design was superior with a "Full Floating" bearing system which distributes the load along the full length of a pressed-in sleeve, and the end caps were one piece, so they are located in place when installed in the fork and can not come out based on the design.

Rear Hub: I spun the hub a few times to look at it and check it out before installing, and the freewheel locked up! According to White Industries, by freewheeling the wheel before it was ridden I was actually unthreading the ratchet ring which was causing the hub to bind. According to WI, the ratchet ring is hand threaded into the hub shell and designed to lock in place when the wheel is ridden. Anyway, they said I can grasp the freehub body and rotate clockwise to thread the ratchet ring in place and then ride it to lock it in place. What's wrong with this picture!!

Therefore, the customer is the final step in the assembly process! Maybe I should be on their payroll. At a minimum, they should have a warning not to freewheel their rear hub.

So I am stuck with this hub since it was built up into a wheel. I will report later to see how it holds up after getting some miles on it.

Submitted by Aaron a Cross Country Rider from Stillwater, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2004

Strengths:    I bought a set of hubs and singlespeed freewheel from white. The front hub is their high flange disc hub and the rear is their eccentric ENO hub. Very cool design. If you haven't seen it, it's a single speed hub that fits a standard dropout (vertical 135mm). With the eccentric design, there is no need for a chain tensioner or anything extra on a non SS specific frame. You get correct tension with any gear ratio. It's awesome. As for the front, the high flange and high polish add a retro charm to the look. So far, both hubs are butter smooth.

Weaknesses:    The disc rotor mounts are drilled very deep. I am a little concerned with the lateral stiffness of a severely asymetric front hub, which is only 100mm wid in the first place. The high flanges may help that. No problems thus far.

Bottom Line:
Awesome. These hubs gave new life to an old bike of mine. It's become one of my favorites. No Regrets.

Purchased At:   County Cycles, Roseville MN

Similar Products Used:   Nothing Eccentric - Hugi 240's that turned out to be crap.

Bike Setup:   Trek 9.8 carbon frame w/SID SL fork, american classic headset, Race Face LP crank with Spot chainring and guard, mavic 717 rims, XT break levers, Look 4X4 pedals. Deceptively "heavy" at 20.5 lbs... you might guess less from specs.

Submitted by Tex from Oregon

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2004

Strengths:    I have a White FX rear disc hub. The thing has endured more abuse than anything ever should. I got it in 1999 fom a buddy who was a Pro DH racer, who knows what he did to it before I got it. I've put maybe 6000 miles on it, mostly off road and I've never had the slightest problem. It is so easy to pull apart and clean I actually enjoy it.

Weaknesses:    If there are any, perhaps they will become apparent in another 6000 miles.

Bottom Line:
White really did well on this hub. I highly recommend them.

Purchased At:   From a friend

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR, Hugi, Edco (not good!), Ringle

Bike Setup:   Originally on a Bullit, now resides on an Azonic Propulsion

Submitted by john su a Cross Country Rider from berkeley, ca

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2004

Strengths:    silky smooth, lightweight, quality build, great looks

Bottom Line:
bought these on ebay to replace mail order lx/rhinolite rims. what a huge difference! i had the lx/rhynolite wheelset 5 years, so how much of it was worn low-end hubs and heavy rims, vs. well maintained white industry hubs.... but i noticed the lighter weight and smoother hubs instantly. trails i've ridden over and over gain i had to brake much more often because of the increased speed! i ended up in the bushes because a corner i've taken many times i just flew off the cliff! love these hubs! the noise is definitely annoying compared to the old lx... wonder what the quietest high end hubs are because i've read the chris king hubs are loud too. anyways, a great upgrade!

Similar Products Used:   lx, xt

Bike Setup:   bridgestone mb3, mix of lx/xt/xtr, white industry hubs on mavic 217 sup rims

Submitted by Gary Gromet from Miami

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2003

Strengths:    This is a followup to an earlier review of Lew Sydney Wheels with White hubs. Since keeping the hubs out of the heavy some Florida rainstorms, the hubs have performed excellently.

Weaknesses:    When the wheels go out of true, you have to take off the tire. Weight limit of 185 pounds on the

Bottom Line:
Lew went out of business, but White did not. The hubs should make the owner aware that the seals may not be strong enough for heavy downpours. Perhaps the hubs were put together better on the rebuild. This was true of the rear wheel that delaminated soon after I started using it, but not since.

Purchased At:   factory

Similar Products Used:   2002 Zipp 404

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Alpena, MI

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2002

Strengths:    Aft Tracker- very durable, easy to clean, and rolls smooth. I've never had a single problem since I bought it. Just oil the inside every few years and thats it.

Weaknesses:    a little pricey but for as long as they last its worth it.
The clicking of the pawls is a little annoying.

Bottom Line:
I've had this hub for about 7 or 8 years. The only thing I've had to do is clean and oil it. I'm still on the original bearings and it still spins like new. I originally had this wheel on another bike but I liked it so much I switched the rear wheels before I sold my old bike.

Favorite Trail:   North Country-Manistee