True Precision Stealth Hub

4.8/5 (20 Reviews)

Features:
  • Front hub is convertible from bolt in to quick release to 20mm through axle
  • Large flanges help build a stiff wheel
  • Strong enough for downhill, light enough for cross country
  • Silent hubs don't scare any wildlife
  • Zero backlash for technical riding
  • Disk brake hubs compatible with the most popular disk rotors
  • Completely sealed from the elements
  • Little to no maintenance
  • Available in through axle versions for more rigid wheels
  • Made in USA
    rear hub: $270
    front hub(quick-release): $110
    front hub (thru-axle): $120

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Luke

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2013

Strengths:    Fantastic hubs, there are no better hubs out there
    Highly recommend them

Weaknesses:    nada

Bottom Line:
    All I can say is
    I LOVE THEM!!!1

Submitted by Jezza a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2012

Strengths:    Super quick engagement, direct power to wheels, silent, and fast.

Weaknesses:    The weight.

Bottom Line:
    I bought the latest S3 142x12 mtb hubs. I was skeptical on reading many that it is draggy etc. but still i wanted to know what its like to have instant engagement hubs.

All I can say its, WOW. the instant engagement meant that every time u put power to the pedals, it directs every stroke into the wheels immediately. it also meant for technical terrain on climbs, i was able to just pedal through easily. On downs, when i wanted to speed up, i didnt have to do much as the hub engaged immediately and speed me up almost immediately.

On the Drag issue, on the wheel truing stand, it looked like it didnt spin much but when fitted on to the bike and riding it, i have to say, it was a whole lot less draggy than Chris king hubs and was as fast as the hope evo hubs. it was actually fast.

the weight was a concern at first. 170g+ above my hope 142x12 evo hubs. but i lightened the tires, the rotors and tube to negate the overall rear wheel weight. so its not cheap to do all that. so unless you are willing to put some money down, well, its may not be for everyone. also, the weight is on the hubs, so it did not affect rotational weight much.

The true benefit is when i completed the ride and before it felt efficient, i also felt less tired overall. Awesomeness in every sense. the ride was quiet, i can climb immediately from rest to uphill, it was very very inspiring. i found new love in riding my mtb. pretty exciting actually.

Would i recommend it?

Well, before buying the S3, i was looking at other hubs of high engagements and price point. the usual suspects. Chris King, Hadley, I9, Chub/e13 Hubs. but i am glad, i chose the S3 because it has no engagement.

My personal opinion? Highly recommended. I am glad i jumped in and tried it out. really made a difference in my ride.

Duration Product Used:   6 rides

Purchased At:   direct from true pre

Similar Products Used:   Hope evo, Gravity wheelset, Nukeproof hubs, Easton Havoc am wheelset, syncros FR hub, Shimano XTR 960 and XT 760, Megan hubs and white insustries m16.

Bike Setup:   Devinci Dixon 2011.

Submitted by timms a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2009

Strengths:    Engagement, Silence, Ease of Maintenance, Axle options

Weaknesses:    A little heavy

Bottom Line:
    I bought this hub on eBay a in 2008, It was used when I bought it. I have to say that aside from the weight (about 400grams vs 260grams or a king rear), this is the best rear hub that money can buy. Straight pull alu spokes would make this my dream hub but that's asking quite a bit. rolling resistance is almost no existent, their are no pawls fighing against a ratchet of any kind. any direction it goes, if flows on bearings. I've considered selling it many times and am having a real hard time letting it go.

I made a video of it's internals as well as instructions on how to regrease. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K76bQm6DOKI

True precision also offers 10mm thru bolt options for a stiffer rear end.

at the price I paid, it was my best bike part purchase to date.

Favorite Trail:   Don Valley

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   XTR 960 series.

Bike Setup:   currently single and looking.

Submitted by Eric Emel a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2007

Strengths:    Engagement is awesome, sealing has coped with alot of mud care of a wet UK winter - no probs.

Weaknesses:    Nil

Bottom Line:
    I have used F&R hubes (singlespeed rear) for the last 6 months+ and they have been faultless and they have really had a caking this winter. Engagement is so good, these hubs are something special.

Purchased At:   Direct

Similar Products Used:   White Industries, Hope, King & DMR

Bike Setup:   Custom Solitude singlespeed, 5" Fox Vanilla, Hope M4 etc.

Submitted by Sean a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2007

Strengths:    Tough, Silent, Instant engagement, helpful guys at True Precision

Weaknesses:    Not enough people know about it

Bottom Line:
    I just wanted to say that the main complaint I hear is the weight, and I think it turns a lot of people off. Let me set the record straight: cog, bolts and all, this hub only outweighed a King by about a quarter pound, and that doesn't include the disc brake adapter for the King universal set up. My new hub is considerably lighter than my buddy's older Stealth hub. Considering that the King is probably the lighest, this puts the Stealth on par or better than most other hubs weight-wise, but it is far superior to these mechanically, and in my opinion to even the King. Obviously, or I would have bought that one. Great hub, great dealing with the guys at True Precision. Very helpful

Purchased At:   Through Bicycle Sport Shop

Similar Products Used:   Other hubs

Bike Setup:   Redline Monocog 29er, salsa rims,

Submitted by ken reed a Cross Country Rider from newbury park, ca, us

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2006

Strengths:    this hub is the greatest single speed hub ever. no slack in technical places and completely silent

Weaknesses:    a touch heavy

Bottom Line:
    this hub has no competition. once you try one you will never want another hub. i can't wait until true precision gets the bugs out of thier geared hub. to sum it up in one word AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   guadalosco

Purchased At:   mikes bikes

Similar Products Used:   chris king hub

Bike Setup:   titus riddler ss, marathon s fork, race face cranks, front sprocket 34 rear 18.

Submitted by Mark from Calgary, Alberta

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2003

Strengths:    Stealth hubs are strong, reliable, and silent. They engage instantly, they're unique, and very cool. In my opinion Stealth hubs are one of Mtn. Biking's best-kept secrets. (Too bad)

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    I ride a lot, I live in Canada where we have extreme weather and extreme terrain, I've had varied problems with other hubs, but not with the Stealth. The stealth is cool, quiet, unique, it engages instantly, and best of all it works, every time. How cool is that?

Todd and the True Precision Crew have done a GREAT! job on this hub. It's just too bad that more people are not aware of the quality and functionality of True Precision's Stealth hubs. The Stealth is simply the best hub I've ever owned. If new hubs are on your horizon, do yourself a favor and lace up a set of Stealth's.

Purchased At:   True Precision

Similar Products Used:   xtr, xt, lx, hugi, white industries, chris king, and others.

Bike Setup:   I have stealth hubs on my serious bikes. I ride a Santa Cruz Blur, a Merlin xtra lite, and, my personal favorite a Surly "Karate Monkey" 29" single speed, all with stealth hubs.

Submitted by Andy a Downhiller from Redding, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2003

Strengths:    Silent,instant engagement

Weaknesses:    Blows out,locks up

Bottom Line:
    When I read about the hub I thought it would be great for climbing with the instant engagement but it cant handle heavy loads. It locked up on me. I sent it back and the same thing happened again.I used the reviews to help me make up my mind about buying the hub. I guess it would be ok if you only cross country ride and dont do any serious climbing.

Purchased At:   Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   XT,Hayes

Bike Setup:   Giant AC1 Freeride 6" rear 5" up front

Submitted by Mikey Mayhem Martinson a Racer from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2003

Strengths:    These hubs are amazing! The hook up on them is unreal. Very well built. Being a trials rider i'm usually pretty hard on hubs, but these a stood up to the test, and they keep going. They roll very smooth, and the silent freewheel is awesome when youre doing manules. Watch for these hubs to be on all my bikes in the 2003 vids!

Weaknesses:    As of yet, none.

Bottom Line:
    Awesome hubs. I would highly recommend these hubs to riders at any level in the sport. Amazing construction, and clean smooth ride...and they're surprisingly affordable!

Favorite Trail:   Urban

Similar Products Used:   Chris Kings

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Specialist Trials bike.

Submitted by Russ Morrell a Cross Country Rider from SLC, Utah

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2003

Strengths:    Quick engagemnet, silent, bombproof design, and easy to switch out from qr to bolt on axel.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found yet, and I've already gone through two rims on this hub, and it's still tickin.

Bottom Line:
    This hub has lasted longer than any hub I have ridden so far, and I'm amazed at the abuse it can take. I have completely blew two rims apart, and the hub held strong. The hub is also taking the impact abuse I throw at it from urban riding, and doing drops freeriding. Can't wait to throw it back on my bike again once I build up another rim.

Favorite Trail:   flying monkey

Similar Products Used:   XT, hadley, planet X, atomic, hayes, seismic.

Bike Setup:   2002 Balfa minuteman built to take the abuse

Submitted by Wade Bootes a Racer from Gold Coast, QLD, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2002

Strengths:    Solid, quick engagement. The hubs are light as well.
    Has never failed for me under extreme torque at the starting line.

Bottom Line:
    I recommend these hubs for any style of racing or riding, they can take it all. I was extremely impressed with the hubs during my Mountain bike season, I used the same set all year through muddy or dry conditions.

Similar Products Used:   Nothing comes close to this product, there are other products that have quicker than normal engagement but Stealth is instant solid engagement.

Bike Setup:   My bike is set up for Dual and 4X racing.

Submitted by Moe Lester a Weekend Warrior from Calgary

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2002

Strengths:    Instant engagement - Looks cool - Strong

Weaknesses:    Can't think of anything

Bottom Line:
    So far these have been the best hub next to my kings which I have taken to Hell and back. The instant engagement is awsome. I have these on my bullit and have not treated them nice so buddy that gave them a bad review either had a couple of bad hubs or can leg press lulu the fat lady.

Value is very subjective I put value on cool new swag and new technology. If some of us don't fork out for the new stuff we would all be riding huffys or Crashandbails

Favorite Trail:   Pork Rim Moab

Similar Products Used:   2 sets of Kings(great Hub too), Ringle, Hugi

Bike Setup:   Bullit, Monster T, TP hubs on Mavic DH rims, Truvativ cranks, Hayes disk, King Headset, Basically Mack Daddy

Submitted by James Klingensmith from Campbell, CA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2002

Weaknesses:    None apparent

Bottom Line:
    I am working on developing Urban Trials skills. In that particular discipline, rapidity of engagement is often the difference between being able to "make the move" or not. Component strength (and rider skill) often makes the difference between getting hurt or not. This hub will not let you down. It's a bit on the beefy side but it is solid, without the maintenance concerns of a Chris King hub. This is a well-engineered, well-machined component.

Similar Products Used:   Chris King

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Chameleon w/ Magura 33's, Cannondal Jekyll, GT 1.0 and GT Trials mod.

Submitted by Andy Contes a Racer from Arizona

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2001

Strengths:    True Precision Stealth Hubs engage instantly. In a sprint situation this most important because there can not be any time lost waiting for the backlash to engage in normal hubs. With True Precision, power is transferred from the cranks to the ground instantly. This is a huge advantage when accelerating out of corners or out of the gate. Also, True Precision hubs are completely silent. This is a key feature because the other riders will not know where you are... STEALTH! Rolling resistance is at an all time minimum with Stealth hubs because they use the highest quality bearings. From an engineers/pro racers standpoint these are the hubs to use! Switching gears is also very easy and quick when using True Precision Stealth Hubs.

Weaknesses:    I have heard that the rear hub may be slightly heavier than normal. This is not an issue with me because rolling weight is most apparent when it is on the outside of the wheel. Since the hub is at the center of rotation this can be considered negligible. Also, after addition of a normal freewheel to any other hub, the True Precision hub may in fact be the lightest.

Bottom Line:
    As stated in my product strengths section, True Precision Hubs are the most technologically advanced and best performing hubs that I have ever had on any of my racing bikes. I have only good things to tell about True Precision Hubs. They had a solid performance throughout my entire racing season this year.

Favorite Trail:   Woodward Downhill

Similar Products Used:   GT and Haro hubs.

Bike Setup:   I ride a Haro Monocoque fully equiped with all ATI, True Precision, and Shimano XTR components.

Submitted by Derek Betcher a Racer from Las Vegas

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2001

Strengths:    Instant Engagement just blows everything else away. When you are standing in the gate the hub isn't flexing when you stand on it. Think about it, If the hub flex's, like a KING HUB, when you actually put the power down, that flex is absorbing a percentage of your power output. So the fact that they don't flex, and are allways engaged ready to rock... makes True Precisions Stealth Hub the BEST in BMX!

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    The bottom line is, If you want a hub that has NO play what so ever, allways engaged, silent, with no flex. True Precision's Stealth is where it's at. But than again if you want to flex out, and have your bike sound like a weed wacker, than stick to that good ol' King Hub.

Favorite Trail:   Boulder City BMX

Similar Products Used:   Chris King

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-works, Stealth hubs, Atomic Rims/Stem, S&M Handlebars, Answer Forks..

SCALE HMX SPAM. New Frameset/Stealth Black

Spam pass... brand new frameset...Never got around to this project. [url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=96081&title=scott-scale-sl-hmx-brand-new&cat=7]SCOTT SCALE SL HMX BRAND NEW - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url]Read More »

Rockshox Reverb Stealth

...they are everywhere stock on trail and AM bikes. Rarely, you'll see a KS Lev Integra. Just wondering how such a problematic and unreliable dropper post got adopted by so many manufacturers for their new line-ups. What do you guys think (or know)?Read More »

2013 uzzi stealth black build

After almost a year of deciding I bit the bullet and got me a stealth black frame to. Build up.. Full xtr, mavic enduro's, renthal bars and stem, wts volt saddle, dmr vault pedals, stealth dropper post, ethirteen chain guide, fox 36's and cane creek db air cs. Absolutely love it..Read More »

Rockshox Stealth Reberb, Can in Install the lever on the other side?

I picked up a new Reverb Stealth with a left hand handle bar mount. The install was easy, but I prefer it on the right side. I installed it on the right side and it seems to work fine. Any issue doing this? See pictures below. [ATTACH=CONFIG]916936[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]916937[/ATTACH][ATTACH= ... Read More »