Home | Reviews | Hub | Syncros

Syncros Rear Hub Hub

2.15/5 (26 Reviews)
Weight : 315g MSRP : $200.00

• Virtually indestructible. Unlike so-called bomb-proof hubs, our clutch mechanism is encased within a vault-like one-piece shell. Now that’s fat.
  • It’s crud-proof. The clutch is protected by 10 independent rubber seals and two labyrinth seals to keep dirt, water and crud from turning your ride into a total grind.
  • Compatible with Shimano XT, 8-speed XTR and 9-speed Dura Ace.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Rekibsn a Racer from North Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2010

Strengths:    Sure looks nice.

Weaknesses:    Lasted 4 minutes and failed miserably.

Bottom Line:
    Syncros make some really good products but these hubs are doing them no good at all. I resisted believing the bad press and went ahead and bought two hubs anyway. Silly me. This one lasted 200 yards and I had to walk home. The free-wheel just failed and now it is free in both directions.
    Anyone want to buy my other hub...New in box....never built up...cheap....???

Favorite Trail:   The Dirty one

Similar Products Used:   Loads....Shimano, Suntour, Mavic.

Bike Setup:   XC Bike and CX

Submitted by James Flynn from Coventry, UK

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2001

Strengths:    Light
    Looks nice
    Easy to service/maintain

Weaknesses:    Engagement, feels weak and with only 16 clicks per revolution, it doesn't satisfy me (Me is a trials rider)

Bottom Line:
    I don't really know who should buy this hub, they say its bombproof enough for DH but it certainly does't feel that way to me, it hasn't got the strength or the engagement points to be a trials hub and XC riders can get better hubs. Hmm... This hubs abit of a loser, I don't recommend it. Just to annoy you all, I ordered a Chris King Classic rear hub last week so that should soon replace the Syncros.

Favorite Trail:   Local trials spots in Coventry

Purchased At:   Broadribbs, Leamington

Similar Products Used:   several Shimano models
    Hope Bulb
    Coda 200
    Diatech Disc

Bike Setup:   Cortina Dual Frame, Orange trials forks... Oh sod it! Just take a look right here.

Submitted by Tobi from Germany !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2001

Weaknesses:    NOT VERY STIFF !!!!!!
    Only for x-country !

Bottom Line:
    I had very much trouble with this Hub:
    The axle had play and the Bearings got broken.

B U Y E V E R Y T H I N G F R O M S Y N C R O S , B U T
    N O T T H E H U B S ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Similar Products Used:   Shimano STX

Bike Setup:   Syncros + Race Face

Submitted by Jim Kramer a Cross Country Rider from Marion, Iowa USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2000

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    Too much play, water contamination to bearings, many other problems.

Bottom Line:
    Blows, good thing you can not buy them anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A real suprise considering the quality of their other products.

Favorite Trail:   Surgar Bottom

Purchased At:   Hall Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   NA

Bike Setup:   Gripshift - Good stuff.

Submitted by Teg a Cross-Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
    I have had similar problems as the rest. Lots of play, poor design, and I even snapped the axle. I also have the front hub, and it performs flawlessly. Real dissapointement, considering the rest of their components are great.

XTR
    STX

Full syncros
    XT/XTR
    Marzocchi Z3 light
    Trek Alpha Alum

Submitted by Clayton Covemaker a Racer from Carbondale, IL

Date Reviewed: November 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
    Everyone is welcome to the own opinion but I have nothing but praise for this hub set I am a 225 pound nightmare on equipment I ride hard and I have not had a single thing go wrong with them. The only thing bad that has happened to them this the aluminum freehub shell got nicked up by some over enthusiastic shop employees but other than that everything is fine.

Cedar Lake

Shimano LX (97&99)

Submitted by derek a Cross-Country Rider from saskatoon, saskatchewan

Date Reviewed: September 29, 1999

Strengths:
    nice looking, sounds good

Weaknesses:
    the bearings are always loosening up, which is no surprise since reading the reviews. I wish i would have read them BEFORE i bought the hub. Also once and a while the freehub doesnt engage properly and skips a notch. That sucks too. I thought syncros was always such good stuff, but not anymore. I only way 140lb, and ride on the praries, how much less abused can a hub get. I wouldnt recommend this hub to anyone. I would just like to say, go for a shimano, they are heavier, but trouble free. My XT hub gets ridden everyday on my winter bike through the worst of the worst and it is still alive. I dont even think i will try any warrenty stuff, just wait for next season and a set of XTR hubs. Maybe i should ride the syncros this winter and see how long it lasts.

Bottom Line:
    Its a no good piece of crap made by a respectable Canadian company. Canadian EH, it embarrases me.

3 months

xt, white industries

brodie soveriegn
    xtr cook bros
    z2 atom bomb
    worn out syncros hubs w/mavi 517 rims

Submitted by mike a Racer from washington.dc

Date Reviewed: September 17, 1999

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
    expensive piece of crap..no customer service..axle comes loose..freehub spring broke..

Bottom Line:
    I bought a syncros wheelset a year ago and have nothing but trouble out of the rearhub...the front hub and rims are fine..the rear hub was loose when new..finally after tightening it 5-6 times it held..then the spring that keeps the pawls for the freehub in place broke..little bits of the broken spring locked up the hub..had that fixed now the hub is loose again...syncros should stick to making things with no moving parts...I've got a 3 year old lx hub that I've beaten the sh*t out of that works better than this thing..

accotink

xtr..xt..lx

m2..manitou carbon

Submitted by Tom a Cross-Country Rider from Cooksville, MD

Date Reviewed: September 17, 1999

Strengths:
    relatively trouble free

Weaknesses:
    Axle nut on drive side needs to be checked every couple rides ro tightness.

Bottom Line:
    Well, I heard there were some problems with some of these hubs, but I guess I,m one of the two guys out there that has had good luck with them. When they were new, I had to check the drive side axle nut and retorque it to 60 in. lbs. I still check them but it is infrequent that I have to retorque them. I have pulled them apart two times to grease the bearings but that was just PM. I use these hub for most of my XC riding and the really rocky races that I compete in. I don't baby them, I use them for the really epic rides. One thing I learned from the original White Ind. hubs is that after a ride or two the bearings set and you have to re-tension them no matter who the mfr. is. Just because it a sealed crtrigde bearing does not mean you can ride and forget normal maintenance. I used some Chris King hubs on my 'cross bike and after a particularly wet race (read torrential downpour)I pulled the rear hub apart and check the bearings. One of them (the drive side hub bearing) had muddy water run out of it. This bearing seal is exsposed to elements where as all of the syncros bearings have some kind of shield that mud and water have to work thru to contaminate the bearings.I have use many of their products and have been satisfied with all of them. Their headset is every bit as good as King's. I might get godsmacked the next time I ride these hubs, but I would give them two thunbs up.

Frederick, MD wate shed

Outback cro. mo. w/ SX-Ti
    853 road bike

Submitted by Mark a Cross-Country Rider from Tampa, FL

Date Reviewed: August 24, 1999

Strengths:
    looks

Weaknesses:
    SLOPPY BEARINGS

Bottom Line:
    My hub sucks as much as everyone elses. I can't even ride it anymore. only had it six months and wish i read these reviews first. I don't think much more needs to be said.

flatwoods

6 months

xt, crosslands

FSR, sun Oxc, black spokes, alloy nips.(looks cool anyways)

Submitted by Derek a Weekend Warrior from B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: July 4, 1999

Strengths:
    Looks good

Weaknesses:
    Excessive unremovable play.

Bottom Line:
    Syncros needs a product support! Attempts to contact them were futile, and the solution to there defective hub was to trade for another persons product of equal value. So I did what I thought was best, I payed a little more and bought King hubs. I'll rate them 1 chille just because I got my $$ out of them.

All of them

Wheels of all sorts.

Rocky Mountain Element

Submitted by Keith Thompson a Cross-Country Rider from St. Catharines, Ontario

Date Reviewed: July 1, 1999

Strengths:
    At least it looks kinda cool.

Weaknesses:
    I am a bike mechanic here and when I first received my rear hub out of the box it had massive amount of drag. So much that my chain was hitting my rear wheel. I was sent THREE more with the same problem, so finally I got fed up with the run-around from Jason Haycock in warranty at Syncros that I built the last one they sent me only to find out that 40 min. into my ride that the freaking freehub body broke away from the actual hub. I almost killed myself! I would not recomend this hub or any other Syncros product on even my worse enemy!

Bottom Line:
    This product may be Canadian and have a warranty, but the quality as well as the warranty is garbage!! Even with the warranty in hand, you are just politely pushed aside hoping to go away.

Short Hills

Rolf, Shimano's XTR.

'98 Trek 8900 custom build.

Submitted by Michiel Beumer a Weekend Warrior from Venlo

Date Reviewed: June 9, 1999

Strengths:
    great sound!

Weaknesses:
    axle

Bottom Line:
    this rear hub sucks, 3 weeks after purchasing I was biking along with my granny and from out of nothing I hear a bang, the moment after I almost knock my teeth out as Islam into the asphalt .
    It appeared the axle broke and got stuck!You can probably understand why I hate this hub.

downhill

Dt Hügi

steel hardtail with obsys40

Submitted by Tom a Racer from Toronto

Date Reviewed: May 8, 1999

Bottom Line:
    This HUB is dangerous, My third one within a year seized while I was riding it, almost running me into a tree. This hub is gone and am now trying a Chris King Hub. DO NOT BUY THIS HUB!!!!!

6 months

Wheeler Titanium E11
    Manitou Mach 5 Forks
    USE Suspension seat post.

Submitted by Justin a cross-country rider from Utah

Date Reviewed: February 20, 1999

Bottom Line:

Well kids, I spoke too soon. My Syncros rear hub has now developed play which will not disappear. We'll see what happens I guess. Any suggestions TO FIX this hub other than replacing with a Hugi or a King?

does anyone use an internal geared rear hub for cyclocross ?

or are they too heavy or improperly spaced ? it seems like a 3 speed could offer : a granny gear a gear which equals your fixed -single speed. and 1 gear for any downhill or higher speed section.Read More »

Rear hub skewer?

So i will be using a regular cassette free hub body with an ss cog and spacers in a soma juice. The wheels have QR skewers but I want something a little more secure in the rear. Kind of new to this. What can fit that will hold in place? Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkRead More »

Shimano XT FH-M788 12x142 rear hub - broken freehub body

I have ridden about 300ish miles on the hub. The freehub body cracked. In 20+ years, I have never broken a freehub body before. I do not ever recall seeing a broken one. Shimano is sending a warrantee freehub body through my LBS. That is going to take a couple weeks. I was not willing to ... Read More »

Rotor clearance after regreasing rear hub

My bike has some inexpensive Shimano Deore hubs and I recently replaced all the bearings and the right side cone. After doing all that and putting it back on the bike I noticed that the rotor is rubbing inside the caliper on one side. It's pushed over soo much that there is zero adjustability ... Read More »

Favorite Thru-axle rear hub?

Since I started ripping disc tabs off American Classic rear hubs I've exclusively used DT 240s rear hubs. These days I'm only building wheels for 142 or 150mm frames so let's forget that 135QR exists. What's the lightest hub available and what hub do you recommend*? *I'm only gonna switch from th ... Read More »