Sun-Ringle Dirty Flea Rear Hub Hub

• Laser Engraved Graphics
  • Four Sealed Cartridge Bearings

Submitted by erik a Cross Country Rider from Denmark

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2010

Bottom Line:
Mine broke down less than 6 months after purchase. The re-seller changed it and told Sun Ringle has a problem with their vendor. It has just broken down again and they have mounted a new again. They say that Sun Ringle do not have a better re-placement and that they are waiting for a solution!
Really bad product!

Bike Setup:   Cube LTD

Submitted by eric-the-red a Racer from Las Cruces

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2010

Strengths:    Actually one of the best designs you'll ever see in a conventional pawl type rear hub, comparable to the best in the mainstream brand bested only by the elite hub makers like King, Hadley, Hope and the like.

Weaknesses:    The people at Sun Ringle seem to be unaware of the idea that even though the pawls are way overbuilt, you actually have to pretension the springs that push the pawls out to engage the hub body(and the wheel thereby) way way more than they do, the springs are the problem, and because of that it opens the flood gates to all sorts of other problems like poor or inconsistent engagement.

Bottom Line:
Unfortunately while everyone enjoys riding, few enjoy working on even the basics, let alone diving into the hub. This has generated an effluent of people giving the hub a bad rating and rightly so. I actually do not disagree, although I do see the merits of its design. It wouldn't be hard for the folks at the company to fix and I cant say whether the new hubs have amended the problem. So I give it the rating I give it for that reason.

Favorite Trail:   Dona Ana's

Purchased At:   Chain Driven Bike Sh

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossride rim/hub WTB rim/hub, etc... all sorts

Bike Setup:   XT group, hardtail bike

Submitted by Nitric a Cross Country Rider from Mauritius

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2010

Strengths:    I have been more than happy with these hubs, had seen a lot of reviews relating all kind of problems. I had been very aggressive in muddy terrain and dust... been without reproach

Weaknesses:    NONE TILL NOW

Bottom Line:
I WOULD CERTAINLY RECOMMEND THESE, MY SON HAD THE XT ON HIS BIKE AND WE RIDE TOGETHER, HIS HAS BEEN ALREADY ON THE MAINTENANCE TABLE.... AND WAS DRIED COMPARE TO THE DIRTY FLEA..I WOULD CERTAINLY RECOMMEND THIS HUB

Favorite Trail:   Petrin

Purchased At:   Canyon Bike Germany

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   MR 8.0 Canyon

Submitted by Tuff Gong a Weekend Warrior from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2009

Strengths:    Absolute Garbage! Poorly designed inner free hub bearing that Sun Ringle claims is just fine.

Weaknesses:    The smaller inner bearing(pawl side) in the free hub disintegrates after a few hundred miles. My first bearing destroyed itself in about 500 miles and the second bearing went bad about 300 miles later. It is definitely a under engineered design flaw.

Bottom Line:
I'm not a powerfull racer, a clyde or an abusive rider, I'm simply a recreational rider who recently got into mountain biking and mainly ride cross country type trails. The downtime I keep having due to the frequent failures are unacceptable IMO. I could always tell it's starting to go when it starts having shifting issues since the cassette begins to wobble and the noise that one hears when your coasting and pawls are crapping against the hub/ratchet indents in the hub.

If you have choice, do not waste your time with this hub. I had no choice since it came with my $3000+ Cannondale

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rize

Submitted by Marjo a Cross Country Rider from Slovenia

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Mine was ureliable

Bottom Line:
I had this hub originaly monted on my byke (Canion AM 7). It had two failiours in les than six months.
First one of the end cups splited. I do not knew how it could happend but it did. I have tried to contact the manufacturer but there was no response from them. I bought a new endcup, it wasent expensive.
The second failiour was the cog mount. It is made from a lightwaight material (probaly aluminium). The cog yust cut thru the mount and started to rotate frely. Consecuentiali i lost balance and feld. Sufured minore abrasions and a dislocated finger.

After the second falior I get reed of it.

Favorite Trail:   XC, AM

Purchased At:   Canion bikes

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, DT Swiss 340s, ...

Bike Setup:   canion am 7 2008

Submitted by dick slessig a Cross Country Rider from L.A., CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2009

Strengths:    Light, easy to service, quick engagement, outstanding tech support

Weaknesses:    propensity for freehub failure

Bottom Line:
Nice and light; vastly superior engagement to any Shimano I've had- all in all a great hub until the cassette body went out after less than 1000 miles. The customer support at Hayes/Sun/Ringle was so awesome, however, that I give it a pass. They sent a new freehub
no questions asked (obviously not the first time this has happened), it came in less than a week and couldn't have been easier to install. Overall, it's a nice simple design, tightly executed except for the freehub which seems to be the weak link. I got a screamin' deal on it so it's all good, but I'd hesitate to pay much more without being sure they've worked out the kinks.

Similar Products Used:   Deore, LX, XT

Bike Setup:   Kona Unit 29 frankenbuilt

Submitted by trailrush a Weekend Warrior from St. Augustine, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2009

Strengths:    Sun-Ringle / Hayes was easy to contact. John, in Warrenty, return my calls and sent a freewheel out with out delay.

Weaknesses:    Bearing. Creaking sound developed from frame. Turned out to be the bearing going out. Once freewheel was replaced the hub and bike are very quite.

Bottom Line:
It seems like a lot of riders with this product have had the same problem. Hopefully the problem has been fixed by Sun-Ringle. I have had lots of bikes (cheaper) with much more wear and tear applied to them and never had this problem. LBS said these hub are entry level hubs. Interesting since the bike is a $3700 bike. Not too entry level to me.

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Purchased At:   OEM @ LBS

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale SI, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rush 3 Carbon, Fox carbon RLC Lefty, easton carbon XC rise

Submitted by Rush3 a Cross Country Rider from Cumberland,MD

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2009

Strengths:    Nice design, Easy to work on.

Weaknesses:    Free Hub failure

Bottom Line:
Bearings failed in Free Hub after about 400 miles. Wheel Bearings perfect! Since the prawls are on the external part of the F/H all that is left inside are the sealsd bearings. It feels like a section of the race has broken off and is floating around in the balls. Cdale is sending a replacement hub to LBS. Easy enough to swap the Free Hub since it is a well engineered design.

Favorite Trail:   Tight & Twisity

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   LX, XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   stock C'dale Rush 3 carbon

Submitted by stevoway a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2008

Strengths:    Great Hub Smooth Iam very happy with the very Long coasting longevity

Weaknesses:    Kinda noisy

Bottom Line:
I would buy again for sure... I would say that this is on of the best produts I have ever used in all the years that I have been in the sport...

Purchased At:   Mikes Bikes

Similar Products Used:   XTR everthing

Bike Setup:   2008 Canndale Scalpel set-up

Submitted by YH Huang a Cross Country Rider from KL, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2007

Strengths:    Replaced defective bearings with SKF sealed bearings and they now work very well with little maintenance required. Manufacturer support is quite good. They even sent me a complementary rear free hub.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up from the earlier review. The customer service from Hayes took 3 weeks to reply to my complaint. Thereafter, they offered to send me a the re-worked rear free hub at no extra cost. I used it for 6 months with no problems so I guess the new design is much better. These hubs are good value for what you pay for.

Favorite Trail:   Kiara

Similar Products Used:   XT and TUNE

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575 Carbon

Submitted by Huang YH a Weekend Warrior from KL, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2006

Strengths:    Smooth when new. That's it.

Weaknesses:    Developed a grinding noise after 4 weeks of moderate use. Sent back to the LBS and they replaced the bearings and re-greased the hubs. Now they have a whining sound.

Bottom Line:
I had a friend who also bought these hubs a month before me and he had the very same problems on the rear hub after 2 weeks of usage. I ignored this thinking that this was a one off incident and I find myself in the same position with a defective hub. I have written an email to sun-ringle requesting for a maintenance guide and specs so that I can work with the LBS to solve this problem. I hope that they have an active support department so that I can solve this problem perhaps by using higher-grade bearings.

Nevertheless, my current set of Shimano hubs has gone without any problems for 2 years and without any need for servicing.

Favorite Trail:   Kiara

Purchased At:   KSH Bicycle Sdn Bhd

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT 2 years and still as good as new without any new for servicing.

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575 Carbon + DHX Air 5, Talas 32 RLC 07, DT Swiss 5.1

Sun Ringle Dirty Flea Rear Hub

I am looking at rebuilding my rear wheel because the Easton hub has crapped out for the second time. I've used Sun Ringle wheels twice before on my builds and am really impressed with them. So I found this Dirty Flea rear hub, but can't find any info whatsoever on it. It must be a NOS model is all I ... Read More »

Dirty Flea rear hub

So my rear hub makes a grinding noise every now and then, I pedal and it goes away. I'm guessing it's the freewheel pawls or something in there but just haven't had the time to investigate. Are these hubs rebuildable? It's an 08 Rush sl if that matters. Anyone have a rear take off?Read More »

Dirty Flea Rear Hub/Cassette Issue

I have a brand set of wheels with a Sun Ringle Dirty Flea hub on the rear. Since they came with the new bike they had the stupid plastic dork disc behind the cassette. I was able to get the lockring off, but the cassette would not slide off like all my the wheels have. Any ideas what the problem cou ... Read More »

Instructions on Taking Apart a Sun Ringle Dirty Flea Rear Hub

Anyone ever taken apart a Dirty Flea rear hub? I got the snap ring out, but after that I have no clue. I looked for info on the Sun/Ringle website but there's nothing. Any help would be appreciated.Read More »