Stans NoTubes ZTR Disc Hub Rear Hub

2.5/5 (2 Reviews)

• 2 sealed cartridge bearings in the hub shell
  • Red anodized aluminum freehub body
  • 3 spring loaded pawls
  • Black anodized with laser etched ZTR logo

Submitted by alcalie

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2013

Strengths:    The hubs looks great which is why I bought them in the first place to pair with my ZTR Flow rims. I love it and really appreciate its good looks right after the installation.but thats where it all ends.

Weaknesses:    The freebody is very crispy and diced to pieces and metal flakes only after 2 weeks of XC riding. It is a total loss.
The price is wayyyy higher than a Shimano standard hubs but the Shimano standard hubs can lasts forever. I just cannot brain this.

Bottom Line:
From the inside, I can see "Chosen" logo which tells me that ZTR does not produce the hub themselves. But they sell overall products as theirs. The front hubs rolls very smooth though. And still good after hundreds of rides, but the rear hubs is a made of chocolate cookies. Only good thing is they sell freebody spare parts on their websites, but still no point if I have to replace the freebody after every few rides. ZTR has to find better supplier for their hubs. Their rims are one of the best I've known

Submitted by scooby-d a Cross Country Rider from Los Gatos, CA US

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight and look great. The build quality was very good too.

Weaknesses:    The rear freehub is a Sun Ringle, which are known for failing and being noisy. Our new rear ZTR hub only lasted 30 minutes before making grinding and popping noises. Very disappointed in the quality and haven't heard much back from NoTubes on a fix or resolution.

Bottom Line:
I wish I could recommend these hubs and we wanted to like them SO much, but I don't think they are well made. No reflection on NoTubes since they don't manufacture the hubs, but it is one of their products.

Stick with the more mainstream stuff like American Classic, WTB or King unless you want to be dealing with freehub issues.

I'm giving 1 chili for the rear hub and 4 for the front since it's very light and rolls excellent!

Favorite Trail:   Demo

Purchased At:   notubes.com

Similar Products Used:   Used to have Sun Ringle Disco Fleas before these and we had several of the freehubs fail. My other set of NoTube wheels with 355 rims and WTB hubs have been working flawlessly for 3 years now. XTR 975 wheelset.

Bike Setup:   Epic, Truth, Epiphany, and a Yeti ASR.

Stans ZTR SS rear disc hub?

I'm looking at having a new rear wheel built using an Arch 29er rim. I am considering the Hope Pro 2 Trials hub. But, I can save a bunch of money by going with the Stans house brand hub, which is now available in a SS version. Does anyone have experience with this hub, and can provide a revie ... Read More »