Home | Reviews | Hub | SRAM

SRAM X9 Rear Hub

2.33/5 (6 Reviews)

SRAM X.9 Rear Derailleur Long Cage: Redesigned X.O-style links and polished cosmetic finish

Submitted by glenn a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2013

Strengths:    I Haven't experienced any of the negative aspects of the other reviewers. Been riding this hub for over a year, averaging about 50 mtb miles a week from April to Nov. not including trips to Moab, Fruita, Bend, etc. Laced the hub onto a Blunt Velocity (26") with DTS spokes. I ride a 1x9 drive train so the rear hub encounters a lot of stress. Engagement is quick and reliable, Freewheel continues to glide (overhauled it a few times but that should be done with any hub). Flange diameters allow for same length spoke making the wheel build a little easier. Prior to this hub I destroyed two Mavic hubs and one Shimano in the same amount of time. Was thinking about trying a Hope II but for the dosh I am very happy with the Sram, so much so that I built a front wheel around the same hub.

Weaknesses:    A bit on the heavy side. But if you are concerned with such things you probably are gonna drop some additional bank and opt for a higher end, lighter hub.

Bottom Line:
based on my experience, a great hub for the money. easy to install, quick 3 pawl engagement. Not bad looking, black with white logo. who cares? if you are going slow enough so others can see what kind of gear you got...leave the bike on your car.

Favorite Trail:   Watchman loop

Duration Product Used:   1 year+

Bike Setup:   1x9 Sram drive train. FSA ss crankset (32t). Fox Talas 140 fork. seat, bars, stem, grips, rider.

Submitted by fisher_rider04 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2013

Strengths:    cartridge bearings
high/low flange
disc brake specific
aluminum hub shell

Weaknesses:    decals

Bottom Line:
I bought this hub as an alternative to Shimano XT rear hub which I was running till the cones wore out. I have been using the Sram X-9 hub for 4 months of cross country riding up till now. The cartridge bearings require little maintenance compared to loose ball bearings. I like the high/low flange because it requires shorter spokes on the disc side. The aluminum hub shell is light weight and won't rust. The decals come off but I don't like decals anyways. I have not had any problems with the freehub even under high load. The hub rolls smooth even after crossing several streams. Compared to Shimano XT rear hub the upgrades are cartridge bearings and low maintenance.

Favorite Trail:   Santos Trailhead

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Genesis frame set up with SRAM drivetrain and Rockshox U-turn suspension

Submitted by KeviChe

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2012

Strengths:    Builds up with equal length spokes

Weaknesses:    Freehub body failed on me very quickly

Bottom Line:
Engagement is too wide, freehub is already trashed and getting worse with less than 10 trail rides on it! I am hoing SRAM warranties the Frehub body. But I was never happy with the engagement points even compared to a regular Shimano

Submitted by Mario Roman

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2012

Strengths:    None! I'm a SRAM user since they came up with the first X0 components and this horrible experience with this HUB and SRAM XX are making me re-think about changing back to SHIMANO. And not even the look of the Hub is considered to be a strength.

Weaknesses:    This hub only has 3 claws, making the engagement really poor . If you move the cassette with your fingers you'll see that the hub has a lot of movement between the claws engagements. My bike has 4 month and about 200 miles almost since new the hub sounds wear.

Bottom Line:
Please , don't buy this peace of sh**t hub from SRAM. This is a very bad HUB and not even funny . This has broke me 3 chains already. This is not even the cheapest hub from them and if you compare it to a cheap sun ringle or formula hub , you'll see that the X9 is far inferior.

Submitted by jasopeto a Racer

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2012

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    I noticed that the my rear wheel wheel is moving in the frame from side to side. I tried to tighten the lock nuts, but the bearing on the left side is destroyed. That after 2,5k km / 3 months of - I would say - light riding. Hub was used on training wheels, so no racing, riding only XC trails and road. I'm 78 kg, which is not too much I think. On one of my previous bikes I had training wheelset with Shimano LX hubs and they lasted several years.

Another thing which I don't like: the gap when starting pedalling from idle is simply too big.

Bottom Line:
If you need a durable and reliable hub, I would avoid this product.

Favorite Trail:   cerova draha

Purchased At:   came on my C'dale Fl

Similar Products Used:   DT Swiss 240s, many Shimano hubs (XT, LX, ...)

Bike Setup:   Pimped Cannondale Flash 29er.

Submitted by Cainam a Cross Country Rider from Sattle, WA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2011

Strengths:    Holds the rim in place with the help of the spokes.

Weaknesses:    Slow engagement.

Bottom Line:
Not that impressed with the X9 rear the bike came with. I've only had it for a few days and about 50 (road) miles, but the hub is on the list of things to swap out. I can't comment on the strength, as it has zero abuse at this point, but the engagement is very clunky. I know this isn't a ultra high end hub, but it isn't a low end Shimano 425, either. Not skipping, just has a HUGE wind up before it hits.

If you are looking for a new rear hub, and you don't want to spend C.K. or DT 240 money, I'm sure this would work. It looks strong enough, I suppose, but personally I wouldn't get another one on purpose. . .

Favorite Trail:   The one away from work

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano (most levels) and a bunch of others.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Flash 29er Carbon 3. As new setup except for handgrips (stock ones SUCK) and 700c X 28 road tires.

sram X9 type 2 rear derailleur with 9 spd cassette, will this work

I'd like to try a type 2 rear derailleur to help with chain slap, but i don't want to go complete 10 spd, other than swapping the pulleys for 9 spd ones, any suggestions or thoughts if this will work.Read More »

Sram X9 Rear Hub Overhaul

Hoping someone can help out. I can't figure out how to get my X9 hub apart. Brake side is easy but the drive side you cannot reach the inner nut. Looked on sram's website and the service manual I found was useless and I failed on youtube. Anyone know what to do?Read More »

Can a SRAM X9 142 w/ 20mm rear axel be converted to a 142 x 12mm?

Having trouble searching for this topic, so I thought I would ask again. Thanks!Read More »

Sticky X9 rear shifter help

I am looking at a 2011 10 speed X9 shifter for a mate that the lever wont return when you shift down. You can pull it back into position no problem but thats hardly its intended function. The cable has been changed, internals lubed with spray but still no luck. I suspect the bike has seen one he ... Read More »

xo & x9 type 2 rear derailleur

I am in the market for a new rear set up, Would like to go with a type 2 rear set up, But after looking @ all the reviews on line, There's not any positive feed back on them..Does any one on here have any good reviews on these units?Read More »