Home | Reviews | Hub | SRAM

SRAM X0 Rear Hub

SRAM X0 IS-disc rear XD hub, 12x142mm-XD-11sp: Double Time freehub ratchet design gives 6.9 degrees of engagement with four pawls and 52 points of contact Hub flanges are angled in, allowing spokes to be fully in-line when tensioned Tapered aluminum axle International Standard 6-bolt Includes quick release and thru-axle end caps Rear hub available with either SRAM/Shimano 8-10 speed cassette body or SRAM XD-11 speed cassette body

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2015

Strengths:    Awesome finish, quick engagement, easy serviceability and lots of compatibility via endcaps

Weaknesses:    Awkward to build up, freehub body may be too loud for some.

Bottom Line:
Originally I chose these hubs because I've got an XO1 drivetrain and the temptation of having a "full" group was too much to pass up. I'm glad I did because these things are baller! Their weight is competitive with boutique offerings and their construction is second to none. Also, unlike most other hubs that advertise tool-free endcap removal, SRAM actually means it. I can pull either endcap off with just my fingers and a minimum of fuss, unlike some hubs where I literally have to get the vice clamp out. The 4 pawls have very strong return springs and are larger than I expected, which should translate into a long lifespan. Those 4 pawls are arranged out of phase in pairs, giving 6.9 degrees of engagement which will be immediately noticeable to anyone running a hub with 12, 16, or fewer degrees and will help technical riders ratchet through rocky obstacle courses. Not as quick as a Stealth or Industry 9 hub, at least by the numbers, but I honestly couldn't tell a difference on the bike and the SRAM hub has a bit less rolling resistance than either of those others. The freehub is loud and buzzy when coasting, which is probably a draw for most riders looking at this level of bling but may turn off someone who prefers a lower profile on group rides.

My main gripes will really only concern those who build their own wheels. Despite the service manual claiming 2.7mm spokes holes, I found it VERY hard to get the threaded portion of a Sapim D-Lite to run through the flange. It required hitting the spoke hole dead-on, which is an issue because of the flange arrangement. Mismatched flanges are certainly nothing new in the hub world but that, paired with the tight spoke hole tolerance, meant that I was struggling a lot more than I would have liked to. Also, at least on my 32h hub, three spokes ran almost directly into a rotor mount tab. One was aligned so perfectly that it wanted to exit through the bolt hole and was a real pain to get bent up and around. I managed to get everything in place without scratching the finish or putting a stress riser on a spoke, but if I still own this wheelset in a few years I can say I'm definitely not looking forward to the re-lace. I'm not reflecting any of this in my review because I doubt more than a very small percentage of owners will build these up themselves, but it still needs to be said. Once the spokes were in place the rest of the build was a pleasant experience, with good non-drive tension and the angled flanges making a noticeable difference in how much stress was placed on each elbow.

At $350 these aren't a budget option by any means but they're certainly in line with, and even cheaper than, most of their contemporaries. As with any hub of this level, the "bling" factor is certainly a main motivator for the purchase and that's where these fall short. Everyone that sees them will respect them for what they are, but like the Model T you can have any color as long as it's black; people looking for color-matched anodizing will have to look elsewhwere. Because of that, I'd guess that this hub's main competition is the DT Swiss 240/350. My personal opinion is that these build up into a slightly more robust wheel than a 240S while being miles lighter (and commensurately more expensive) than a 350. They also have vastly faster engagement than the DT hubs and via a traditional pawl system that ignores any of the downsides of Star Ratchets. The lack of a Centerlock option on a SRAM product goes without saying, but it's one I definitely miss and that's about the only area where the DT hubs edge the XO out, but unless you routinely break multiple spokes a season I wouldn't let that affect my decision at all.

Favorite Trail:   Brown County, IN