Home | Reviews | Hub | SRAM

SRAM X.7 Hub

• Holes: 32 front and rear
  • Spacing: 100mm (f) 135mm (r)
  • Brake compatibility: 6 bolt disc or rim brake
  • Cassette compatibility: Sram/Shimano 8, 9, 10 speed

Submitted by nubcake a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2012

Strengths:    Smooth, rebuild able, SRAM reputation for standing behind their product.

Weaknesses:    Engagement is a little slow, feels like you standard Shimano hub but for the money its very acceptable.

Bottom Line:
Did not have the cash to spend on my hub of choice (king) for my commuter and really did not see a need for instant engagement anyways on such a bike so decided to try out the SRAM hubs. I know SRAM will stand behind their product better than anyone, and I wanted a cartridge bearing hub. I have used Shimano hubs of all levels but XTR and even though the bearings are durable, I have blown up about 5 freehub bodies, not that I am particularly strong, I just do a lot of granny granny climbs filled with rocks and roots so a lot of power surges. I know I will not see those conditions on the cargo bike but I have carried close to 200lbs on it up a steep (for that kind of load) hill running a 22-36 so this hub does see a good bit of torque.

So far so good, it is still smooth and even in sub zero temps the freehub works perfect. Hopefully in a couple years I can still say the same. Great bang for the buck.