Home | Reviews | Hub | Spinergy

Spinergy Xyclone Disc Hub Hub

The new Xyclone Disc hub. One piece machined aluminum shell with Swiss made internals. Laced with 32 revolutionary PBO fiber spokes to a super light weight disc specific rim. This is the Ultimate disc brake wheel design. It rides as good as it looks!

Submitted by Rain a Cross Country Rider from Pacifica

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2005

Strengths:    hi tech appearance, low cost on closeout, hi flange holds PPO spokes up outa harms way, rolls extremely well if not binding.

Weaknesses:    The potential for disaster is EXTREME. Call 911.

My day job as a rocket scientist allowed me to Mc Gyver my way outa this bihotch.

Test your hub by back pedaling at 25mph in your biggest gear. If the chain tension spooks you as you backpedal STOP! Do not ride it until fixed. You're warned.

Remove the wheel and use a pair of 6mm hex wrenches to remove the axle caps, especially the silver steel one on the drive side. Obtain a <1mm chainring spacer washers to use as shims, or check spinergys site, I bet! I don't waste my time with corporate entities, not my style.

After 2 hours of troubleshooting, I discovered the easiest solution is to insert a modified chainring spacer washer into the silver cap and re install it and retest the operation to ensure that the 'scary symptom' does not re occur as you back pedal at 25 mph in big ring, tiny cog. If your cassette has a tiny bit of side to side play and the wheel spins without sucking the chain, you win! There is also an issue with the blue plastic dust seal slightly dragging on the body, but that will not cause terminal chain suck like the dimensional design flaw addressed by the spacers noted. Start with the thinnest chainring spacer you can get (usually .5mm) and file it down if your cassette shows too much side to side play. If you persist, finding the perfect thickness of shim for under the silver cap will completely dial out the problem. You might also consider the use of Phil Wood tenacious oil on the innards of the pawl mechanism and potentially rubbing shaftology. Above all, don't simply loosen the caps and think you have it fixed. The caps tightness is not a variable in this equation. They need to be tightened firmly.

Bottom Line:
Great hub for a tech weenie like myself. The rest of you folks need a better hub. This is whats known in the racing biz as 'scary light schwag' from the darkside of 'light weight'.

Favorite Trail:   Firm

Similar Products Used:   King, XT, WTB etc..

Bike Setup:   my race wheels for dry days with lots of climbing.

Submitted by Ricky Frost a Weekend Warrior from Bay Area, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2004

Strengths:    Really light, closeout price.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub freewheel gave problems from day one.

Bottom Line:
I'm no featherweight at 210 and I go fast when the trail points down. These wheels made a noticable difference in handling over the Ryno's (weight). Made it feel light, and nimble... I like the no-bend spoke design.

My problem is the quality of the freewheel portion of the rear hub. It was stiff movement from day one -- stationary pedals coasting along would cause the chain return (top) to slack up and derail. I tried reducing the amount of grease in the hub until I got that to stop. Just last weekend I'm pounding up a hill when the pedals are a crankin' and the wheels ain't turnin'.

These wheels are history! The weight savings aren't worth it...

Favorite Trail:   If it's not the office, it's my favorite

Purchased At:   supergo.com

Similar Products Used:   Sun Ryno Lite XL w/XT hubs

Bike Setup:   Trail bike style - Joker, Swinger 3-way shock, Marz Z1FR 130mm fork, all XT drivetrain

Submitted by Clifford a Cross Country Rider from Toledo, Ohio

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2001

Strengths:    Very durable, flawless. I get alot of comments. I race semi-pro and beat/test pretty hard.

Weaknesses:    None noted so far. Assuming I'll have good product support if there is a problem. Hopefully I will not have any problems.

Bottom Line:
Why are we reviewing this particular item? Have others had problems?

Purchased At:   The Bike Route