Specialized Stout Superfly Front Hub Hub

4.76/5 (17 Reviews)

Specialized Stout Superfly Front Hub

Submitted by Jed a Cross Country Rider from Bellingham WA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2007

Strengths:    Decent light weight design, impenetrable bearing seals, comes stock with plenty of grease. Zero required maintenance after a year of harsh, muddy riding.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
This hub came on a built up wheel. It is the sealed bearing type. I use this wheel for some pretty rough trail riding. It has been an excellent, affordable, maintenance free experience. What more could I ask of the humble hub.

Purchased At:   Fairhaven Bike

Similar Products Used:   All sorts of Shimanos, Coda Lefty hub

Bike Setup:   Kona Caldera

Submitted by Leonhardt a Cross Country Rider from Pomona

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2003

Strengths:    Tough Q/R lever
Low maintenance
Stearing precision

Weaknesses:    i dunnno

Bottom Line:
IT's been hold up quite well with really less maintenance.
Bearing is easy to repalace and well sealed.
I'd like to buy some if I find it.

Similar Products Used:   chris king ISO,Cross max,Propel(Broke soon!!)

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-works,XTR/XT combo

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from United Kingdom

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2000

Strengths:    Survived 2 British Winters with no maintenance.

Bottom Line:
With shimano you have to service every 2 to 3 weeks in a UK winter. Specialized no maintenance, I know what I would choose.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX & XT

Submitted by Sam Evans a Cross Country Rider from Alabama

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2000

Strengths:    Let's talk about STIFF. My bike goes exactly where I point it.

Weaknesses:    my dainty little hands hurt to undo the skewer, which is pretty, but sticky

Bottom Line:
Awesome Hub. When I had a JUDY up front (booo Rock Shox) it kept things tolerable. Now with the Marzocchi, it is unsurpassable. Just to let you know about its reliability, about a week ago I bombed a singletrack downhill @ 30mph, jumped a bridge, and landed on a big pointy rock. This demolished my front wheel. It tore the rim into three pieces. Hub is fine! LBS said they couldn't believe that the flanges were still straight. Building it back up now. I will never get another hub unless i absolutely have to, which shouldn't happen because I CAN'T BREAK IT! The bearings did go out on me, but only after thousands (literally) of miles. When yours go out, don't pay bike shop prices for replacements... go to an auto parts warehouse like NAPA and let them help you out. (Oh yeah, make sure to pry off the dustcap & get that little number off to take to them.) I recommend this hub to ANYONE (weight weenies need not apply, as it is sort of hefty)! It just plain works well, and you never feel the weight where it is in the center of the wheel. Check out Nashbar for good deals on these from time to time. Only 5 chilis? I NEED MORE FOR SUCH A GREAT PRODUCT! GO SPECIALIZED!

Favorite Trail:   Laurel Mtn, NC

Similar Products Used:   aw, i dunno... lots

Bike Setup:   Stumpy pro w/ z.2 x-fly up front & XTR all around

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz(GO SLUGS)

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2000

Strengths:    Smooooooooth...I've ridden hard on this hub for a year now and it still runs perfectly.

Weaknesses:    None yet at all!

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this is a nice hub. It came stock with my bike, so I was lucky. It's light and (like I said) smooth. I recommend it big time!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Lake Sonoma

Bike Setup:   '98 Stumpy

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from NH

Date Reviewed: April 3, 1999

Strengths:
VERY Strong
Cool looking w/spokes
feels nice

Weaknesses:
NONE yet

Bottom Line:
This thing flew off my friends roof rock going 80mph, bounced over a pickup,over two lanes of traffic, across a concrete barrier, then across 4 more lanes of traffic. Once we got of the highway and went back to get the wheel it was perfecly true and nothing happened to the hub. It also rides really well, I can't really tell the difference between it and any other wheel.

mine

1 Year

A lot

'97 Stumpy

Submitted by rob a cross-country rider from chicago

Date Reviewed: February 11, 1999

Bottom Line:

i got one of these new for real cheap and built a road wheel with it and a used open pro hub. it rides great on the road and weighs less than other road wheels i have.

Submitted by G a cross-country rider from Denton TX

Date Reviewed: November 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

Good hub. I can't really say I noticed a huge boost in my bike's handling, or my love life though. My skewer lever likes to seize up if you clamp it down even moderately tight (a little anti-seize seems to prevent this, otherwise, wrap a glove around the skewer lever before you start trying to open it). I'm pretty light (125 lbs), and average 30-40 miles per week off road. It has taken about 15 months for the bearings to wear out. It was a pretty cheap ($30--practically free for bike components!), & simple task to replace them though (e-mail me if you want some directions). Now the hub is as good as new. I would definately recommend this hub as a solid, quality component. Still--it could do with a more durable bearing set & a less sticky skewer-lever.

Submitted by promo9 a cross-country rider from Pleasanton, CA

Date Reviewed: November 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

Excellent. Rock hard. After some nasty spills and head-on collisions, still true. No problems with the bearings after several stream crossings. Fortunately, it came with my '98 Stumpjumper. Recommend to anyone building a new front wheel.

Submitted by Robert a cross-country rider from Montreal

Date Reviewed: October 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

This hub is fantastic. It looks great when you straight lace it and it seems to roll for infinity. The weight is fairly light and it is the stiffest hub I or any of my friends can fathom for XC racing (have done downhill on this baby ZERO PROBLEMS). The skewer is a bit funky and hard to take on and off but I like that security and it works fine. Rush out and snatch one up while you can, especially if you have flexy forks like R.S. Indys or Spyders or even judys.
happy trails

Submitted by christian v. a racer from los angeles

Date Reviewed: October 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have ridden this hub for over a year.About 1000 miles. I took it apart to clean and grease. Was simple and easy. Thanks to tech support at specialized.The only problem was some rust on the inside of one of the bearings
cleaned it with a scotch brite pad and havent had a problem since. My judy fork has no problem with flex with this hub.minus one for rust.PACK THAT GREASE NEXT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Busta Trails a cross-country rider from Vancouver, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

After the manager at Bikesmith convinced me to buy these hubs(my stock alivio hubs cones and bearing kept on f**ing up becuase of suspension flex)I rode around with them. All I have to say is that they are the smoothest thing i ever span with my hands. Feels like there's astroglide in there! I also like the axle, it's huge!!! (19mm?) The lazer etched graphics also rock rhe party. Even though this hub is suspension specific, i didn't notice anything new about my ride

Submitted by Rand Man a weekend warrior from Missouri

Date Reviewed: September 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

This hub really siffens thing up in the front. And I haven't had to true it in over 1 1/2 years. One complaint that skewer is neat to look at but can hurt your hands.
Well I need a few more words boy I love riding wish I could get this review over and go ride.

Submitted by Steve a cross-country rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: August 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought this hub when I was not satisfied with the steering flex I got when I mated a Nuke Pruf hub and my manitou FS Ti fork. I built up a new wheel with the Specialized Stout hub, and it's like night and day. I can pick a better line, and am much more secure with bike handling now. It's the best suspension hub I've seen, and well worth the money. Tip: pump a little grease in the slot between the bearings and the dustcaps to keep the sh** out of there. And, check Bike Nashbar for a deal on these (as of 8/98).

Submitted by kevin Eklund A.K.A Specialized Billboard a racer from Calgary Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: August 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

This hub is the best in the west and the rest of the world my friends
it came stock with my 98 S-Works this hub is bomb proof or at least my biffing proof i give it 15 chilis it limits me to 5 though.
i have noticed a small squek in it though but i think i will take it to the lbs
and get them to take a look at it but the turning is the best it is incrediabe the speed it rolls at