Specialized Stout Front Hub Hub

3.58/5 (45 Reviews)

Specialized Stout Front Hub

Submitted by fuzzylogic a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2012

Strengths:    did not bent under my heavy weight

Weaknesses:    front hub is not smooth shortly after service

Bottom Line:
The rear hub wore out pawls after 1500 km. Front hub seems to develop friction shortly after service (bad seals?). Overly not impressed, but it will do in a pinch. If it came on your bike, wear it thin and replace.

Favorite Trail:   Albion Hills, Durham Forest

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   DT Swiss, DMR 6 pawl Casette

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2009

Submitted by William E a Weekend Warrior from Montreal, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2010

Strengths:    Rolls well, doesn't need maintenance, it doesn't look like jewelry.

Bottom Line:
These were included on my bike as is the case with most of us I suspect. I have had no problems whatsoever with this front hub. Specialized decided to use a Shimano M525 SL for the rear on both Stumpjumper and Epic 2009 models, perhaps in response to a freehub issue. I just don't see why else they would have swapped the stout for such a "meh" hub.

Overall though I am very happy with my front hub I do a lot of steep, muddy, rooty and rocky trails and have taken quite a few shots to the front tire from impacts intended and non-intended.

It may make a difference that the guys at my bike store know what they're doing. I'm sure that there are alot of things that suck when not built properly.

Favorite Trail:   Coaticook

Purchased At:   Martin Swiss

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M775, M525

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper FSR Comp 2009

Submitted by Jerry a Cross Country Rider from Poland

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap. Lateral stiffness.

Weaknesses:    The hums simply do not roll. They come with stock with by girlfriends' Myka. I am using Fulcrum RedMetal 1 and Mavic Crossride. When I speed up on slight descent, These hubs slow her bike. High rolling resistance.

Bottom Line:
These are simply bad hubs. To be replaced VERY soon.

Purchased At:   Airbike

Similar Products Used:   Fulcrum, Formula

Bike Setup:   Myka Elite

Submitted by planethill a Weekend Warrior from London, England

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is an observation on all these comments on the Stout Hub. I am a MASSIVE Specialized fan - I owned an Enduro Expert for 6 years until it was stolen and I cried. Best Bike ever, by miles. However I just picked-up a Specialized Stout hub from a workshop's scrap bin - the rim was totalled and it appears that the wheel has never been used, as if the damage was caused in transit before the bike was sold. What I'm surprised about is that the nuts are far too tight. This hub has been put together badly. If used like this, the bearings would not survive for many miles. A correctly set-up hub should last for years and years, as some of these riders are saying. If a hub goes loose after every ride, it is almost certainly because the (very fine) setting of the contra-rotating lock nuts are not tightly locked or they may be too tight against the bearings, causing excessive wear. If you're Specialized hubs are not giving you trouble free use it is almost certainly because they are not set precisely right. To give you a clue, if you are an amateur bike mechanic, it could take you an hour or two to get the bolts set exactly right - that is holding the bearings in the right place so they spin without any friction; making sure that there is no play or movement (too loose) in the axle and locking the contra-rotating nuts Iron-man tight in this correct position. Many bike shop mechanics are not totally skilled or diligent to get this right, so it is definitely worth checking, unless that is if you have had years of trouble free riding, in which case leave well alone!

Favorite Trail:   North Downs, Surrey

Submitted by kingbozo a Weekend Warrior from At Louis Park, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2009

Strengths:    Never has caused a problem

Weaknesses:    Not as blingy as other brands?

Bottom Line:
My 2001 Enduro came with Stouts front and rear. I have yet to have an issue of any kind with these hubs. The different sized flanges to compensate for disc rotors are a nice touch. The oversize axle and skewer provide a touch of additional stiffness. Not a thru axle by any means, but stiffer than a regular hub skewer combo.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Bike Setup:   01 Enduro

Submitted by Bruzer a Weekend Warrior from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2008

Strengths:    9MM Quick release, Service free, disc brake compatible.

Weaknesses:    Flanges are different heights.

Bottom Line:
The Stout came stock on my bike. Used flawlessly for 6 years since 2002. While riding a trail, I bent the rim so far the wheel wouldn't turn in the fork, had to carry my bike out. The rim was beyond repair but the Stout hub was undamaged. Since the flanges are different sizes, the spokes were different length from one side to the other. Asked the LBS reuse the Stout hub with a new rim. Now laced on another rim, and the hub is still working great.

Favorite Trail:   Leb. Hills

Purchased At:   Erik's bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Other Shimano hubs.

Bike Setup:   A bike with two wheels.

Submitted by Andrew a Downhiller from Kendal

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2007

Strengths:    I never had to service the hub once. It is tight and smooth. I had a very hard landing where I bent my front wheel in half and this hub came out unharmed! Must be very well built.

Weaknesses:    None that I found.

Bottom Line:
Good build quality and good value for money!

Similar Products Used:   na

Bike Setup:   na

Submitted by lee a Downhiller from Aberdeen

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2007

Strengths:    It ame free with the bike already on the front wheel ready for action

Weaknesses:    None what so ever!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
I cant see where eveyone is getting the idea that these hubs are poop, i have never needed to tighten or service the damm thing since 2004 and i go ridig in all weather and all places and it has never failed me yet and doubt it will. 9mm QR.....bring it on baby its well solid and fast to remove the wheel!

Favorite Trail:   laggan wolftrax

Similar Products Used:   various Shimano jobbies

Bike Setup:   hard hitting Enduro comp

Submitted by Belgian Bob a Weekend Warrior from Loughborough, UK

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2007

Strengths:    Smooth bearings, stiff and reassuringly chunky axle, nice finish too.

Weaknesses:    I've not found any.

Bottom Line:
This was the hub that my bike's original front wheel was built onto, and that wheel lasted me 18 months of Welsh, Peak, Lake district, South Downs and Quantocks riding before I wrapped it round a tree at Swinley forest. The hub, however, was unserviced and still buttery smooth after all of the above. The front wheel was then replaced with a brand new/second hand wheel which cost less than a rebuild onto the existing Stout hub would have cost me, which means I still have the Stout at home in my bike cupboard, waiting for a new wheel build... I can't wait to see what difference, if any, it will make to my steering and possibly sorting out my rubbing disc brakes when I corner hard. Bring it on!

I can't comment on value, as It was original equipment, but it performed like a trooper for 18 months, so it gets top marks.

Favorite Trail:   Penmachno

Similar Products Used:   Deore and XT hubs

Bike Setup:   '04 Rockhopper Pro (frame, everything else is an upgrade)MXP ETA+TAS, XT+XM321 wheels, XT transmission, Thomson, hope C2s, etc...

Submitted by Larry a Cross Country Rider from Scotts Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2006

Strengths:    They kept rims and spokes attached to the bike

Weaknesses:    Constant tightening of cones... before every ride and sometimes during a ride

Bottom Line:
These are the WORST hubs I have ever used. Before these I have never had a significant problem with a hub. But I am having issues with both front AND back hub. For a long time I thought the problem was an inability to properly adjust my cones. However, finally I determined that something was going on with the hubs that was causing them to need frequent tightening. I can't understand why Specialized would use a hub like this. Cost? Now I have to go out and buy new hubs and have them spoked onto my rims. This is a cost that I have to eat. I would have happily paid more to avoid this. Not sure how I feel about Specialized right now.

Favorite Trail:   Magic Carpet

Purchased At:   Scotts Valley CycleSport

Bike Setup:   Stumpy FSR

Submitted by steven boltzmann a Weekend Warrior from adelaide

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2005

Strengths:    ???

Weaknesses:    free-hub and bearings.......essentially the whole hub

Bottom Line:
this review is more for the rear hub than the front. these came standard on my epic comp and i am sickened that specialized would put such a sub standard component on a relatively high end bike. the front hub has been relatively trouble free, however i have had the free-hub replaced on the rear once and it needs replacing again, not even 1 year after purchase! the freehub is binding so that the cassette tries to turn with the wheel under freewheel, causing slack and inevitable chucking the chain. to make it worse, the bearings refuse to stay tight and so i also have a wobbly wheel. this hub has packed up where even the shimano STX mentioned above has sailed through. i would be dissappointed with this hub if it came standard on a huffy. if you are buying a specialized with these hubs standard and dont want to spend half your riding time putting the chain back on, i recommend having them upgraded before leaving the store. and specialized...........PLEASE STOP USING THESE HUBS!!!

Purchased At:   jtcycles

Similar Products Used:   hope XC, power tools and shimano STX

Bike Setup:   beefed up specialized epic

Submitted by Vince a Cross Country Rider from Utah

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2005

Strengths:    Nice looks, nice decals, Good preformer. Kept up with me in DH, Freeriding, XC. Good skewer.

Weaknesses:    .25 cm lateral wheel shifting when I turn left. This isn't much but my disk brake caliper was a little to the right and it caused disk rubbing. No problems I just centered my disk brake caliper. Could be due to my cheap fork :)

Bottom Line:
Good, needs proper skewer tighting, and a good fork. No problems whatsoever.

Purchased At:   Als cycles

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 475 vans

Bike Setup:   specialized fsr 2004. upgrades = hayes disk brakes 8' inch front 6' rear, sworks strongarm II crank, truntive DH BB, Cane creek rear shock, xt drive train, ritchty seat post with seat with chode hole.

Submitted by Alex Tourangeau a Cross Country Rider from Gatineau

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2005

Strengths:    Simple design, excellent material, reasonably rigid.

Weaknesses:    None identified so far

Bottom Line:
I have numerous reviews on this hub and I have determined to include my own opinion, as it seems that this decent piece of hardware has suffered very harsh critic. I am a heavy rider (190lbs) and although I could be rougher on my ride, I do put the bike through its paces, and I have yet to encounter any of the issues oulined in many reviews. I don't doubt that these people have had some problems, specifically with the bearings, but I believe that there may have been some quality control issues at some point.

In none of my rides have I encountered anything but absolute smoothness in the bearings of this hub. I have yet to service it, as no symptoms have come up yet. I really empathize with people who have had issues, because nothing ruins a ride quicker than loose wheels. For those individuals, I can offer a couple possible solutions:

- Return to your dealer and indicate that the component is defective and ask for an exchange.
- Take the whole thing apart, clean every component, grease and reassemble, using the correct tools to tighten everything down.

Check every component you purchase, as well as it's assembly. Often it is this crucial second step that determines the overall quality of any mechanical device.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   Deore, Deore XT

Submitted by Johno a Cross Country Rider from Alice, NT, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2005

Weaknesses:    This thing comes loose all the time.

Bottom Line:
After every single ride I check this hub to see if it's tight, and after every single ride it's worked loose.
I tighten it up, it loosens up. Not very confidence inspiring. Especially when you know a drop off or another obstacle is up ahead.
The wheel has never come off but as I said, it is always loose.
Do yourself a favour, don't buy this hub. It came stock on my bike and that's the only reason I have it. I can't wait to get rid of it.

Favorite Trail:   Kurrajong