Home | Reviews | Hub | Shimano

Shimano XTR FH-M975 Hub

2.75/5 (4 Reviews)

• Angular contact bearings and oversize alloy axles for increased wheel rigidity, precision bearing adjustment and easy maintenance
  • New FH body design for quicker pawl engagement (more than 125% faster compared to current model)
  • New seal design Improves seal performance by 400%
  • Spoke holes: 32H, 36H
  • Center Lock rotor mount system
  • Weight: 270g

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by dave

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2013

Strengths:    pretty, light, adjustable

Weaknesses:    weak axle

Bottom Line:
    Rode this hub and liked it very much until funky things started happening recently and so I pulled the wheel out and discovered that the axle broke right at the base of the cone. I weigh 170 pounds, ride a full suspension 29er, and ride XC exclusively, no hucking.

I've never broken an axle before. I keep my gear adjusted and maintained and I have no idea why this broke. Very disappointed in the quality/strength of these XTR hubs.

Submitted by sehsuan a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2013

Strengths:    Fairly easily rebuilt with loose bearings
    Titanium freehub body for bragging rights (but honestly I didn't care, I'm just a rider)

Weaknesses:    Proprietary freehub does not allow for remedy
    Fix the freehub, but the cup-and-cone would still be wearing out. And vice versa.

Bottom Line:
    I changed to the M975s from the M760s back in 2008 because I wanted some durable hubs that wouldn't cost me an arm or a leg, and since I had the M760s which had identical specifications in flange sizes, changing to the M975 would save me in terms of recycling the spokes.

Intial riding was VERY GOOD indeed, and one of the primary reasons why I got it was for the practically silent coasting. However in about 3 weeks after I got started riding, I started to hear a minor gritty scratchy sound in each revolution of the rear wheel coasting, it sure sounded like some sand or grit got trapped between the freehub body and the hub shell itself. And for a person who doesn't submerge any bearings into water, nor pressurized jets, this was driving me insane. Where did this contamination come from?

Fast forward to 2012, I got my Park Tool cone wrenches and Morningstar Freehub Buddy/Soup combination to do a purging of the used-up lubricant inside the freehub - it was horrible - all black when the purged material came out. If my experience was bad, I wonder about the folks who don't even service their freehubs by using the Freehub Buddy. Why Shimano didn't allow for a non-proprietary tool to at least purge the old lube inside an enclosure where there is friction going on, is totally beyond me. And thankfully I read about the existence of the Freehub Buddy in Lennard Zinn's "Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance", if not I would be blissfully unaware of such a tool's existence. The only consolation was that the outboard seal on the freehub was a reusable one, instead of a stamped metal piece for any hubs predating this unit - I was able to service quite a few friends' Shimano hubs, the STX-RC and the MT15 wheelset with good results, although the main bearing size for the M975 is 3/16", and other hubs would usually be 1/4".

Hunting for the supposed Grade 25 bearings in Singapore also gave me nightmares - I was able to get easily Grade 40's, however I was fretting if that would kill the hubs earlier. Eventually I just went for it anyway, since it doesn't make sense to stick to G25's that I've rolled around for some years.

Some people would appreciate it, however I do NOT appreciate the fact that a 5mm Allen key is used to directly mate with the adjustment cone on the non-driveside. Mine has rounded somewhat, making the cup-and-cone adjustment VERY tricky at best, and the parts are not easily available. The least Shimano could have done was to add a wrench flat to this locking nut, but they left it out. Gee.

And one more problem, which I had all along but only found out lately that others had - was apparently due to the design of the higher engagement count on this freehub - of the loud snapping sounds coming off my drive train, even under low torque. How would you like a loud PIAK! coming off your wheel as you push the bike from a stop with a foot on the ground, and your first few revolutions produces this loud snapping sound? I tried things like getting my own rear derailleur alignment tool to adjust my Voodoo Bizango's steel hanger, and even then, it didn't help much.

Finally after reading about others' reports about the same problems they had, I decided to buy over a friend's used Hope Pro II wheelset. Since it's used, I can't ask for perfection - but what I do know is that it is practically rebuildable entirely, unlike Shimano that makes proprietary designs that ties in the customer. Who on earth would want to design a freehub that cannot allow new lubricant to be injected inside, knowing that there is wear-and-tear inside? I may be seeking a new freehub body, but the pricing seems exorbitant... Imagine, even if I fixed the freehub, the cup-and-cone are still worn out anyway... This is not in line with my preference for a low TCO (Total Cost of Ownership).

I guess XTR is indeed meant for those race-oriented folks, and it's not value for the money, or durability, that it possesses. I will steer my friends away from Shimano hubs where possible - and I guess my Park Tool cone wrenches won't be seeing much use in my bike tool kit.

The only positive thing I have for the M975 hubs would be the Centerlock for the rotor - makes it really easy to put on and take off for servicing the wheel to avoid grease contamination. Aside from this positive design, the sealed freehub body is seriously deterring me from any Shimano hubs in the future.

Duration Product Used:   5 years

Purchased At:   Singapore

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Bizango
    XT 760 cranks with Rotor Q-Rings
    SRAM x0 RD, XTR 960 FD on Nokon housing

Submitted by pbbullpup a Weekend Warrior from Denver

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2009

Strengths:    Light, dependable, durable and when compared to similar products - cheap

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
    I never thought I would say this about a current XTR product but these hubs are very cheap, extrememly cheap when compared to DT Swiss and Chris King hubs which really arent that much better. These hubs take beating after beating and remain in like new condition. What more can you ask for?

Favorite Trail:   Green Mountain