Home | Reviews | Hub | Shimano

3.64/5 (176 Reviews)

Shimano XT

Submitted by Jeff Ashby

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2014

Strengths:    They didn't cost very much.

Weaknesses:    The rear hub didn't make it through two rides.

Bottom Line:
I bought these as a wheel set package and have less than ten miles on them and now my rear hub has tons of play in it.

Submitted by Mtn Mike 2

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2013

Strengths:    Cheap, strong, and durable. It is both steel cassette and single speed sprocket friendly, in so far as the latter will not chew up the free-hub splines as is often the case with aluminum versions. The hub is easily serviceable by competent riders who know how to wield a set of cone spanners and understand balancing cup/cone bearings. You can't just tighten up the nuts.........

Weaknesses:    They can benefit from re-greasing and re-setting even when new, and then require it at regular intervals (depending on conditions). Spare parts are available but not always easy to find. The hub is not suitable for riders with a fit and forget approach.

Bottom Line:
I've used various cup/cone hub bearings for 40 years, cycle toured on them, stripped and rebuilt them and can honestly say that I have never (yet) been let down by a cup/cone hub whilst touring or riding.

I have seen other riders have problems with all sorts of hubs, including the exotic and expensive sealed bearing variety.

There is (IMO) no fail-safe method that replaces regular and competent servicing of all bearings on a mountain bike.

These Shimano hubs are not, in my opinion, in the same league as the mythical Campagnolo Record hubs of the seventies and eighties but they are still extremely good value and perform well.

I have 3 XT M756 rear hubs on different bikes/wheel-sets and have yet to destroy one, or need to replace bearings and/or cones. All I do is re-grease and reset once a year... thousands of miles in all conditions.

They DO benefit from re-greasing and re-setting when new. I wonder whether Shimano saved labor time here in order to reduce retail price. They definitely deserve to be setup properly given the superior quality of the ball bearings and cup/cone surfaces.

I also have Hope hubs, which I like, but I have had to change bearings on one and put a steel free-hub body on every rear hub..... not cheap, nor are the tools that are required to properly service these kinds of hubs.
Also, in order to achieve the same rigidity and piece of mind I that I get from the steel axle on the Shimano hub (for big drops etc.), I use Saint type rear Hope hubs with a steel through axle. In other words, by the time I've got the Hope up to scratch I could have purchased four or five Shimano hubs.

However, I do prefer Hope's after sales service and spare part availability (even for discontinued models) and this is why I support the company and the extra cost that this incurs.

So if you want to save money on your bike that you can then use in other ways, these Shimano hubs are well worth considering.... but only if you are prepared to put in the maintenance.

Duration Product Used:   10+ years

Submitted by Kyle

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2013

Strengths:    Low cost, common brand (Shimano)

Weaknesses:    Break easily

Bottom Line:
I have used two XT rear hubs and both broke within 25 miles. I thought the first one was a fluke, so I just kept my eye on the second one. Sure enough, I go to tune up my drivetrain and my cassette is wobbling.

These hubs are probably great for hybrid bikes or very light riders, but they are by no means clyde-worthy. They serve their purpose...cheap hub that will work fine if you are light or not riding off-road trails. If you are looking for quality or reliability, go DT Swiss, Chris King, Hadley, etc. These XT hubs are junk.

Submitted by surlylht60

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2012

Strengths:    Low cost and serviceability

Weaknesses:    Materials and engineering

Bottom Line:
I am a 230lb rider on a SurlyLHT. The XT hubs are/were original equipment. The front hub developed a gouge in the cone, replaced the cone and the bearings. The rear hub has failed twice. Original hub suffered flange failure, the replacement has developed a "catch and slip" character to its operation. Plan on a total rebuild for spring 2013, I will not be using shimano hubs!

Submitted by Henrik B

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap and looking good. Running smoth. XT 756

Weaknesses:    Rear hub can be a b..... You need to service it your self.

Bottom Line:
Ive been running shimano hubs since 1980. They are simple and easy to maintain. The M756 has been updated to run 10 speed, its called M-756a. The M-756 is old tec. but look at the price tag - does it hurt? These hubs have only one weakness, you have to maintain them every year.

Submitted by Holmes a Weekend Warrior from Berthoud, CO

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap, bomber

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest

Bottom Line:
Have used XT hubs (rim and 6 bolt disc) on several bikes over the years riding in varying conditions. Zero problems. I personally think these are the best value for the money - easy to maintain and solid.

Submitted by and30ers a Cross Country Rider from Stockholm, Sweden

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2011

Strengths:    Inexpensive, good quality, serviceability.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Just if anyone wondered I put the hubs on the scale before I built a set of new wheels. This is the 2012 Shimano XT HB-M785 and FH-M785 hubs for CenterLock disk, 32-holes, traditional 100/135mm quick-release versions.

Front hub w/o QR at 165g
Rear hub w/o QR at 332g
Front quick release 59g
Rear quick release 66g
Rubber cups covering the center-lock rotor mount, if using hubs for rim-brake wheels coming in at 5g per hub.

Favorite Trail:   Hellasgården

Purchased At:   www.roseversand.de

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX, DX, XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   Pimped my old aluminium full-XTR hardtail with some new wheels and other goodies, then donated it to my wife.

Submitted by ineffable a Weekend Warrior from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2011

Strengths:    Front hub is a dream--I'd say set and forget, only you never have to set it.

Weaknesses:    The rear hub is a different story. Every XT rear hub I have had (I've had countless ones over the years) has developed slop. Sometimes this happens after months, sometimes after days on new bikes. The cones get loose, and tightening the nuts only leads to major drag (from overtightening) or play returning. I've tried everything, but it is practically impossible to keep the rear hubs tightened correctly. The slop that develops leads to poor handling and has even destroyed a few wheels. (The wheel shifts during cornering, the derailleur gets caught in the spokes, and derailleur and spokes are both toast.)

Also, replacing the cones when they get worn is impossible, as the nuts no matter what fuse to the axle. The entire hub has to be replaced.

Bottom Line:
Fine for cross-country, but if you your riding gets you high Gs in many directions, get a different *rear* hub.

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   None yet--looking at cartridge hubs

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by shreddler a Cross Country Rider from Georgia

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2011

Strengths:    None - Shimano XT M775 Rear Hubs are crap.

Weaknesses:    Pawls within freehub body fail within 1 year.

Bottom Line:
Bought a pair of Shimano xt M775 factory wheels. Rear hub failed within a year. Pawls within freehub body failed to engage / locked up. Replaced freehub body with new one bought at Jenson USA. It failed within 8 months. Same exact problem.

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Chris King, older xt hubs.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LT, mixture of sram, xtr, and xt parts.

Submitted by Fast Eddy a Racer from Houston, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2010

Strengths:    junk - the rear wheel hub self distructed, destroyed the axle and bearings

Weaknesses:    poor design

Bottom Line:
Don't waste your time and money ... Shimano make excellent shifting and stopping gear ... the wheelsets don't even come close

Favorite Trail:   any

Similar Products Used:   replaced with ZTR & Stan's

Bike Setup:   Hardtail 29'er - FOX SHOCK

Submitted by thedude76 a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2010

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Self destructed 4 months to the day of purchase. Sending it back to shimano

Bottom Line:
I am looking for a new hub. I dont like the idea of having to walk out of the forest again.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain CR 70 stock

Submitted by timeless52 a Cross Country Rider from Troy, MI

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2010

Strengths:    Nuke-Proof / Easy to Service

Bottom Line:
I'm rather shocked by all the negative reviews below. I've ridden various iterations of XT hubs for over 15 years and have never experienced problem one. I weigh about 225 lbs and ride hard.

As a matter of routine, I disassemble hubs and adjust cones/bearings before riding the first time. I have found cases where the drive side cones seemed loose against the jam nut. When it comes to service, I haven't found many bike shops I trust. Learn to do it yourself, you'll be much happier and dollars ahead.

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac lake

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   None - Have never understood the obsession with a few grams here and there.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail DIYer - LX/XT mixed drivetrain

Submitted by maurycy.s a Racer from London, UK

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2010

Strengths:    quiet, well sealed, good price

Weaknesses:    the threads are too weak. Broke twice during 2 year period

Bottom Line:
Bought it for 50 GBP in UK

the hub failed twice. First time after 18 months, not sure which part failed as the hub just seized and I sent it back under warranty. 6 months later the cassette became loose and I've checked that the bolt which connects cassette body to
the hub was loose - the thread inside the hub was filed down.

In other words - 50 pounds for two years of riding, about 8-10k miles covered, mainly commuting in all weather + long weekend rides.

The good part is the sealing. Upon disassembling the drive part was a bit dirty, but nothing too serious, and the opposite part still had original green lube.

Purchased At:   merlincycles.co.uk

Bike Setup:   2006 Kona Caldera + XT brakes/hubs + Mavic wheels

Submitted by fselker a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap.

Weaknesses:    Freehub froze up after 11 months. Warrantee replacement failed 14 months later (just out of 2 yr warrantee).

Bottom Line:
How can they be so dominant in the market with such a crummy product?

Submitted by cafam1 a Weekend Warrior from staten island ny

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2009

Strengths:    Very sturdy, no nonsese cone and cup bearing set up,easy to maintain.

Weaknesses:    These hubs can be finicky,

Bottom Line:
This is for the 756 disc hub. Depending on you riding style some riders are hard on particular parts such as rims, drivetrains or headsets. I'm hard on rear hubs for some reason. This hub is a no nonsense strong hub that can be easily broken down by the home mechanic with the right tools.If you can breakdown this hub and regrease on your own the hub is a dream. If it gets loose and you get pissed don't giveup on it. Get yourself together and take it apart correctly ,regrease and reassemble. I myself made the mistake for years of not making the driveside cone and nut under torque. The beuty of this hub is that you just need some cone wrenches,grease and a little mechanical ability. I have had nightmares with these aftermarket boutique rear hubs and found this hub to be pretty damn good. I'm not a Chris King basher either. I have a front hub and headset thats Chris King. For a rear hub I choose xt. I learned early that a hub is as good as its mechanic. If you don't maintain your own bike and Rely on a shop, don't get this hub.Its not the prettiest or lightest hub but if your looking for a strong sturdy no B.S hub this maybe for you.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   2005 Turner Sixpack battleship gray, all xt , Chris king, wtb. Truvativ, Avid BB7, Marzocchi all mountain 1,.

barrel adjuster on XT M772 Shadow 9 Speed Rear Mech GS

Where do i install the barrel adjuster on the XT M772 Shadow 9 Speed Rear Mech GS? It does not come with a barrel adjuster, but i have read online that people have installed a Jagwire Mini Inline Adjuster. I circled a spot on the pic i uploaded, of the only possible place to install the barrel adjus ... Read More »

XT Front Mech

Hi all, As some of you may of seen I am the new owner of an Endo and I'm starting to build it up. However I have encountered a problem, I bought an XT front mech but it doesnt come with any mounting bolts niether does the frame, is this normal? If so could anyone point me in the right direction to ... Read More »

XT shifters, RD or Cable?

So my new 29er build which is full XT just doesn't shift as smooth as my 26er that's full XTR !! Where should I look to try and make this bike shift as smooth as my other one?? It's a noticeable difference that I don't really like. Any help greatly appreciated.Read More »

Currently own '98 Homegrown Factory XT; student; next step?

Hi all, I do XC stuff on local trails in the Bay Area (Alum Rock mostly, Skeggs a few times) on a '98 Homegrown Factory XT hardtail, in 19" size (I'm 6') that I scored for really cheap on craigslist a couple years ago. I've only been riding since. [ATTACH=CONFIG]821344[/ATTACH] Current specs: Cont ... Read More »

Can 90's XT dual brake / shifter be separated (brake only)

How do you separate them? I'm trying out a 1x8 setup in my old Marin pine mtn and would like to reuse as much as possible. ChadRead More »