Home | Reviews | Hub | Shimano

Shimano XT M788 Hub

Shimano XT FH-M788 Hub Much stifferThan Quick Release version Center Lock rotor mount 32 hole

Submitted by tarp43

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2013

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    1st freehub body failed after less then 200 miles, 2nd failed after less then 100 miles.

Bottom Line:
avoid the 142x12m XT hub at all costs

Submitted by Phil Evanson

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2013

Strengths:    One of the better bearing finishes and designs and a resonable cost if it worked. Warranty top notch.

Weaknesses:    Every 142mm hub in our city of 80,000 people has failed! Warrenty freehub fails just a fast! So unless a more flexable steel is used like their Ti XTR freehub, these hubs are going down in the history books as the worst modern rear hubs made.

Bottom Line:
Until shimano replaces these with ones that work don't even think about it! Saints and ZZZ's will be just as bad.

Shimano XT FH-M788 12x142 rear hub - broken freehub body

I have ridden about 300ish miles on the hub. The freehub body cracked. In 20+ years, I have never broken a freehub body before. I do not ever recall seeing a broken one. Shimano is sending a warrantee freehub body through my LBS. That is going to take a couple weeks. I was not willing to ... Read More »

re xt m788 rear hub for HD

I have a xt788 rear hub and are unable to install it ont to the rear end of my HD because the axel on the hub sm-ax75 is too long. dose anyone know if you can get a narrower left nut. if so can you on form me the part number and some where to purchase it on line. Or am I missing something obviou ... Read More »