Home | Reviews | Hub | Shimano

3.18/5 (11 Reviews)

Shimano STX

Submitted by Izam a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2013

Strengths:    Nice solid retro hubs. Been using a pair on a 97 marin rocky ridge and its still is going strong
.Bear in mind its 15 years old. Its trashed ocasionally whenever I feel like taking the retrobike out
And guess what? The mavic rims gave way first with cracks in the eyelets.itks laced to its 5th rims now.

Weaknesses:    Well chrome hubs may not be for every1. Obviously its not meant for AM, FR or DH. Just a solid hub for xc and
It will last forever if properly maintained.

Bottom Line:
Worth its weight in gold. You just have to service it maybe about once a year if u xc hard.
For those retrobike collectors I highly suggest u fit these with ur bike collection. And maybe those retro tyres from panaracer timbatuk 2 is it?

As times changes , yes there are better hubs out there. But for the price I got 60 for a pair and lasted 15 years. Its money well spend. Have spend thousands on rims and the hub is still going strong.

Duration Product Used:   15 years

Similar Products Used:   Xt, Xtr, Hope 2

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap, pretty good value

Weaknesses:    The rear hub engagement broke on me

Bottom Line:
I've taken these things on xc for about 500-800 miles. At most I've gone about 50MPH dh on road and have done a few jumps, drops, and hard sprinting. This rear hub shouldn't have had a broken engagement mech with such use. Jumping and drops can be ruled out of the equation b/c they don't really affect the engangement. The speed and sprints were only occasional. These hubs don't perform well. It's possible, though, that I got a lemon. But despite the drawbacks, the price is cheap, and the performance that I got during that one year was not too bad, so I'm goin' easy on the grading.

Similar Products Used:   deore hubs

Submitted by Darth Vader from Crater of Mt. Fuji, Japan

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2001

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    cheap looking, weight (who cares about weight anyway)

Bottom Line:
Hey why do people are giving bad reviews on cheap products?? come on you know that this product works but only cheap and you can't brag about it to your biking buddies who got huggies, chrisking, and other expensive hubs. am i right? I've trash this things, submerge it into muddy water, rain, drops, stairs, i beated the hell out of this crap but just can't destroy it. i want to destroy this to justify of buying new hubs but i just can't. i haven't grease this crap regularly maybe only 3x in 2 yrs but still smooth. and never been rebuild, bearings, caps, skewers were still original. 4 bcoz its ugly and cheap looking but performance for the price its very good

Favorite Trail:   K2

Submitted by billy b a Weekend Warrior from south cakalacky

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2001

Strengths:    when used with pedals, made wheels move

Weaknesses:    crappy build(machine built). after 2 years of moderate riding and light bombing, hubs feel like sandpaper is used as a lubricant

Bottom Line:
crap wheels. spend the extra money when buying your bike. you won t notice it if your new to mtb, but you will eventually.

Purchased At:   lbs with bike

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossrides and Xt w/Bontrager Mustangs

Bike Setup:   Moab w/above, thompson post, few other nice upgrades

Submitted by Patrick Do Trong a Cross Country Rider from Canada, quebec

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2000

Strengths:    The hub itself is really nice .
It held up well during hard drop offs.
Requires plenty of grease to keep on rolling smoothly
plus it's a steal.pretty cheap...parallax system

Weaknesses:    It fails you when u need it the most.
REquieres constant greasing and servicing ...
Kind of heavy

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is.THE ROCK SAYS ..U know what i'm cookin?

Nevermind.....these hubs are allmost bullet proof...except when it comes to eating drops...and no repacking them.

Favorite Trail:   Hard packed on the Mount-Royal

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore 2000
Coda hubs

Bike Setup:   I've installed the stx hubs on a mavic x138 rim.everything on a chromo bike...
xt equipped

Submitted by Dougal from england

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2000

Strengths:    Brilliant seals, long life, heavy but bloody sturdy and built like a tank

Weaknesses:    ? at this price?

Bottom Line:
NO! I won't have anything bad said about these hubs. I had one for four years and it was never serviced and still ran smooth - it got rode through mud, rivers, snow all kinds of crap and just stuck in there. Superb, the best hub this kind of money can buy - oh, and surprisingly for shimano, the freehub never broke either!

Similar Products Used:   lx, stx-rc, xtr

Submitted by Tim Gradoville a Weekend Warrior from Aurora, CO.

Date Reviewed: July 21, 1999

Strengths:
Well, it looks like it could be pretty strong

Weaknesses:
it is cheap crap. not stable at all, especially at high speeds. Sick ass flex

Bottom Line:
Never ever buy this cheap crap. It has flex like I've never seen before and once I was going about 30+ mph when I tried to turn and the hub wouldn't allow me to. Needless to say, I ate it into a tree and was very pissed. If you are thinking about buying this product, please give me a call so I can personally beat your ass.

3 Sisters

more than 3 years

KHS AL2000, 97 Judy XC

Submitted by Matthew Larson a racer from North Vancouver,B.C CANADA

Date Reviewed: October 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

I live in North Vancouver,Canada where the radical and knarly terrain offers no forgiveness. Along with this I have an STX Hub to and I have had no problems with it. It holds up to six foot dropoffs and I have ridden hard on it for two years. I've got a few more words to write.VISIT THE NORTHSHORE IT HAS WORLD RENOWNED MTB TRAILS AND ALLISON SYDOR IS FROM HERE SO, COME VISIT AND BE AWARE OF US!!!!!P.S. Eat dolphin safe tuna that tottaly defeats the purpose

Submitted by Florian Breitenbach a racer from Germany

Date Reviewed: October 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

Ive got the 96 rear hub. Ive raced it a year, had 2 broken spokes,
2 Cassettes and high pressure water pointed directly at it. In this time
not one gram of grease and they run smooooth.
I would recommend em to anyone on a tight budget, these rip.
good work shimano, dont really need xtr
5 big nice lovely chilis for the price etc

Submitted by fred a weekend warrior from Perth, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

Shitmano STX mtb hubs make me want to chunder down under, I want to spew to Peru, I feel a need to toss to Charing Cross, they induce a need in me to puke to the city of DuBuque; in short, the cause in me an urge to hurl across the world. They bearing blew after about three week. Why--they had forgot to put in grease. These hubs suck. They suck, they make me ill. Shimano is pure evil. They Microsoft look good. Don't buy them. Negative trillion peppers!!!!

Submitted by Mabonzo a cross-country rider from Zimbabwe, Africa

Date Reviewed: February 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

Having bought my bike in September and covered about 2500km on it I find that the
cassette is finished and the chain is now slipping. The ratio's I had on were great but now it
is playing up. Why can't these people make parts that last rather than rubbish you need to
replace regularly to buy their latest gimmick!!!

1997 STX RC or 2003 Deore lx?

Hi ive lucked out at an op shop and found a mongoose rockadile sx with full stx rc group on it. Ive also just stripped an old norco charger with deore and lx on it execept the crank which is truative. im going to sell the goose but should I keep the stx or the lx gear? Stx looks well made... :) th ... Read More »

Suntour XC Comp BB size w/ STX-RC derailleur

In 1995 I bought a Raleigh M400 w/ STX-RC (3x7 spd) components for touring down to Florida. I wanted taller gearing so the shop owner was nice enough to put on his Suntour XC Comp cranks which had bigger chainrings and didn't charge me. (68/122mm BB). I'm having a hard time getting it to downs ... Read More »

Leatt STX

Been doing some reading on neck braces and it seems there's a legitimate complaint about the Leatt and it redistributing the forces from your neck onto your upper back. There are several reports of such injuries. So... you get to be a parapallegic instead of a quadrapalegic. Looks like the Leatt ... Read More »

Leatt STX

Shimano STX question

Forgive me if this has been answered. I've looked but I cannot find anything. On my recently acquired '94 GT Tequesta, if I downshift on the rear it will blow through all the gears to the very lowest one IF I push the lever the full throw, or hold it. I can barely depress the lever to grab each g ... Read More »