Home | Reviews | Hub | Shimano

Shimano STX-RC Hub

Shimano STX-RC

Submitted by Olaf a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2007

Strengths:    Reliability: 34,000kms with 0 problems

Bottom Line:
These hubs carried 141kg (rider, bike, luggage) 4,200km (Stockholm to Athens) and are still perfect after a further 30,000km (thats 310 lb, 2,600 miles and 18,600 miles). Great for trekking.

Purchased At:   Den Haag

Bike Setup:   Giant Expedition Travel

Submitted by Kevin Patterson a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2006

Strengths:    Smooth and durable

Weaknesses:    Not much considering the price

Bottom Line:
This hub was part of an OEM wheelset on a Fisher I bought in 1997. The wheelset is now on it's third frame, and it wasn't until now (2006) that I have had any problems. The rear axel finally broke. I figure 9 years of hard riding on a low-end quality part with zero maintance is pretty good. I can't complain. Too bad some of the expensive high-end crap my friends buy can't last this long.

Similar Products Used:   Not many

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer w/ PUSH Industry custom rear shock, Manitou X-vert fork

Submitted by alloyho a Cross Country Rider from westhampton bch, ny USA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2004

Strengths:    simple, durable and cheap

Bottom Line:
Rear freehub finally crapped out on me in Oct 2003. Sounds of wear were already heard in 2002 (hub was sounding funny). No problems with the front hub tho. Really can't complain as it as accompanied me on over 6500 miles of adventure and abuse (moab, Porc rim, ringwood, rocky pt, et al). 5'9" 160 lbs thru racing and bombing with a bit of trials. Been waiting on a custom Chris King ISO wheelset and have bought Deore Disks in the interim. This is a good starting out hub if you can still find it. R.I.P.

Favorite Trail:   its all good...

Purchased At:   phattire- stock with bike

Similar Products Used:   stx

Bike Setup:   '99 heckler, with stock Bontrager red label rims, radial front, two cross and radial non-drive for rear

Submitted by Pablo Pizarro a Cross Country Rider from Caracas, Venezuela

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2003

Strengths:    Durable and reliable

Weaknesses:    weight too much, silver finish.

Bottom Line:
Good enough; I have been using them for about 4 years yet, and I haven´t change bearings or so. I´m not heavy rider, but I use my bike three ot four times a week.

Favorite Trail:   La Ciria

Purchased At:   came w/ bike

Similar Products Used:   Formula, Shimano alivio

Bike Setup:   Proflex Reptile w/ Manitou Magnum-R

Submitted by Joe from New York

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2001

Strengths:    Lasted a while

Weaknesses:    lasted two seasons

Bottom Line:
Should have knocked on wood in previous posting. Front STX-RC hub started growling over last weekend, I found that the bearing race (cone) was ground up pretty bad. Back hub still OK, but I'm replacing both. Considering the amount of riding, neglect of maintenance and price point of the hubs, I figure it's not bad.

Purchased At:   stock on bike

Submitted by Joe from New York

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2001

Strengths:    Never had a problem

Weaknesses:    cosmetics, chrome is passe

Bottom Line:
I have yet to have a problem with this item. I am a heavy rider who does a lot of road riding to get to my trails. I have several thousand miles on my '99 cannondale, these are the original hubs, no problems yet.

Favorite Trail:   stewart

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   alivio

Bike Setup:   stock cannondale F700

Submitted by Gunnar from Canada

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2001

Weaknesses:    Reliability

Bottom Line:
The rear hub blew out on Porcupine Rim less than 1 yr old.

Freehub was faulty - 5 chilis for Shimano to send me a new one after my LBS denied me the claim.

Then just last year on the first and only ride of the year the 10mm allen Freehub bolt loosened up and locked the bearings.

Brutal stats - stay away from this group.

Submitted by Ray a Weekend Warrior from CA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap, light, smooth

Weaknesses:    Not very durable

Bottom Line:
These hubs are not good. I have ridden on them for a year now. The first 11 months were fairly trouble-free, with only a couple overhauls. However, just last month, I did a couple runs down this steep street, hitting speeds of about 50mph. After the second time, I noticed that the freehub's engagement mechanism is damaged - when I coast, the thing locks up until the tensioner on my rear deraileur reaches max and loosens the freehub again. I had my Alivios for over 4 years with several runs down that steep road with no problems at all. Either I got a lemon, or these hubs stink.

Purchased At:   Competitive Edge

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Alivio

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Bath, UK

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2001

Strengths:    Value for money, longevity

Weaknesses:    Boring silver finish? ;) None really.

Bottom Line:
Had a rear one built onto an X517 a couple of years ago, did many miles on it in varying conitions. Sold the wheel to my brother when i got a new bike, he's done lots more miles on it, in plenty of mud and sunshine, there have been no problems with the freehub or bearings, both are running perfectly. My brother destroyed his last rear hub, getting through 2 freehub assemblies, and having the bearings knackered by an incompetent bike shop.

It's held up great, and the price was right.

I've just ordered a Deore disc hub, as i need disc compatability on a budget. I hope it holds up as well!

Purchased At:   Evans

Similar Products Used:   Acera-X, Alivio, Specialized Stout, Hope Sport,

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Topanga / Specialized Hardrock A1

Submitted by Manco Mula a Weekend Warrior from SBÓ, Brazil

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2001

Strengths:    Low weight, low prize, great design

Bottom Line:
This is a great product and I haven't problems with it.
I crashed my bike in a hole, but it's intact and I'm not.
great buy!

Favorite Trail:   Adriana's Hole

Bike Setup:   Caloi T-Type STX RC Hubs and Shimano Acera-X group

Submitted by Chuck R a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2001

Strengths:    cheap "high end" product

Weaknesses:    non servicable freehub body

Bottom Line:
One of the front sealed bearing wore out within a year, finding a replacement was tough, ended up at an industrial bearing supply in town, "yeah we got that"...
Now the free hub is on its last legs. The axle bearings are still smooth so I hate to trash the whole hub. Finding that a freehub body is just as tough to come by. What to do, put another on there that will last 20 months or drop 2 bills on a nice hub plus the cost of lacing and truing....

Favorite Trail:   York River St. Park

Purchased At:   Came with Bike

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche, Z2 Bam, STX component set

Submitted by HuD a Weekend Warrior from Victoria BC

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2001

Strengths:    Great cheap(got them on my bike), reliable.

Weaknesses:    none, except no XT or XTR sticker. Maybe a bit heavy but I dont care?

Bottom Line:
These are great. I did some major winter riding in puddles over my frame and the hubs are doing great. I think i might have to take them apart oil them up stick emm back together soon. but these things you just forget about, they are excellent for the money. I would have kepot on using mine but I bought a new wheels set(Rhyno Lite with deore hubs) fgor only 99 CAD that is cheaper then using my hubs and getting some built so I guess tthese are going to be my winter set. IF your short on cash I recommend these

Purchased At:   Ryders Cycle

Similar Products Used:   I have Deore's havnt had a chance to try them yet.

Bike Setup:   Cannopndale F700

Submitted by Nikolas Ojala a Weekend Warrior from Tampere, Finland

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2000

Strengths:    It still works. It has not caused any problems. I haven't paid any attention to it. It does not make strange sounds. It simply works and I guess that is what it was made to do.

Weaknesses:    I just haven't found any. I don't even know the weight of this hub.

Bottom Line:
What is a rear hub supposed to do? It must work so well that you simply forget it is there. That is exactly what has happened. The hub works ok and I am happy. I don't even know how much it weighs but I am not interested. Ok, so many words about an issue that is not an issue at all.

Similar Products Used:   I don't remember the names. There are few.

Bike Setup:   Dynamics hardtail, Marzocchi Bomber Z-2 Bam, Shimano XT and LX transmission components, Hope Big'un front hub and disc brake, G-Shok suspension seatpost, Mavic rims, DT spokes, Nokian tyres.

Submitted by Milan a Weekend Warrior from Idaho, USA

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2000

Strengths:    They work well
they are burly as hell
they still work

Weaknesses:    they are heavy maybe but who cares?

Bottom Line:
These are great for the price! I got them with my bike that I use for everything and they still work fine and my bike has been through a lot of crap.

Favorite Trail:   The cabin trail

Purchased At:   came on bike

Submitted by DOG a Racer from East Hampton, CT

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2000

Strengths:    strong as all get out. smoothe, cheap

Weaknesses:    they are probably heavy, but who gives a crap

Bottom Line:
Been thrashing them on my old bike forever. They get submerged, beaten, and i have never touched them. Good deal for the money.

Favorite Trail:   tight a## technical sh#t