Home | Reviews | Hub | Shimano

3.14/5 (50 Reviews)

Shimano STX

Submitted by nash a Weekend Warrior from newport news

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2004

Strengths:    look cool, strong, smooth, wheels spin freely, solid

Weaknesses:    none so far, they came on a used bike i got online

Bottom Line:
excellent hubs, look nice, spin smoothly, origional hubs on my 98 rockhopper, buy em if you get a sweet deal.

Similar Products Used:   alivio, stock GT's

Bike Setup:   98 rockhopper, kore, deore mix, STX, selle italle, panaracer, yeti

Submitted by Craig a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2001

Strengths:    Purchase price. Funcions well when it works.

Weaknesses:    Quality, Quality, Quality.

Bottom Line:
I road this hub for two years - the first predominantly as a commuter cycle and then got back into trail riding fairly seriously last winter at which time I had the hub built onto a new stronger rim/spokes combo. After about 3 mo. of trail riding I sheared the free hub off of the hub. I'm only riding intermediate terrain with only a few small drops. Don't buy this hub if you weigh over 180 lbs. Also be wary of new DEORE hubs. My new wheel has them and its showing signs of failure too.

Favorite Trail:   I just ride em.

Purchased At:   Single Track Cycles

Similar Products Used:   92 Deore DX and 87 LX.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail. Original wheel built with low end Sun Rims and pathetic spokes.

Submitted by scorch a Weekend Warrior from calgary

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2001

Strengths:    reliable
cheap

Weaknesses:    engagement isn't fast enough
heavy
crappy cones and bearings and freehub body

Bottom Line:
This are overall decent beginner hubs. I've been ridin them for 4 years now and I've only serviced them 2x. the first time having to replace a cone, the second was having to repack and replace the freehub body. Overall, not bad for a cheap set of hubs. I do a lot of jumps and just recently started trials. The only thing I didn't like is the slow engagement action. I felt there wasnt' enough torque goin into it and coming out of it.

Submitted by Matt a Cross-Country Rider from Rockford, IL

Date Reviewed: November 28, 1999

Strengths:
price, works well if serviced!!

Weaknesses:
will self destruct if not serviced!!

Bottom Line:
I neglected my first for a year then freewheel self-destructed, second one used one week noticed loose cassette, serviced hub now its fantastic. Just like everything else- if you take care of it it should last and last. When adjusted and serviced properly hub works great, maybe a little heavy.

alivio

KHS descent, Indy shock

Submitted by Andy a Cross-Country Rider from San Luis Obispo

Date Reviewed: September 21, 1999

Strengths:
At first it works

Weaknesses:
And then it doesn't

Bottom Line:
I have gone through two of these now in about 4 months, for a total of ~450 miles. It would make a grinding/clicking sound with the cassette at certain positions, and be silent in others. Not long after the grinding starts, it freezes (Forcing me to pedal on the long, bumpy downhill). My bike shop got Shimano to upgrade it to LX for free, so we'll see how that works. BTW, I am not abusing this bike.

6 months

Schwinn Moab 2

Submitted by Rob Braam a Cross-Country Rider from Deventer Netherlands

Date Reviewed: July 22, 1999

Strengths:

Bottom Line:
The first day the freewheel was broken.

3 months

lx

Submitted by Fred a Cross-Country Rider from Chch, NZ

Date Reviewed: June 8, 1999

Bottom Line:
They don't look flash, but they sure do the job. My bike went for a swim (it went right under...) and I checked the hubs. Both front and rear had no sign of sand, or water, or wear. I never plan to service them again!

Submitted by Simba a Weekend Warrior from Durham UK

Date Reviewed: March 26, 1999

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
lots

Bottom Line:
this hub is just a piece of junk. After about 100 mile the freewheel started to stick. The bike shop regreased it and said it was ok. After another 300 miles the hub is now knackered. Buy something else cos these hubs are not well made or well sealed. it makes no sense building a wheel around this hub cos it sucks ass big time. I now have an xt hub with a mavic d521cd rim which should hopefully last a damn sight longer than 6 months.

6 months

xt shimano

mtrax 100 with z3 shock and full xtr brake setup

Submitted by Phil a Downhiller from Stoke - England

Date Reviewed: March 22, 1999

Strengths:
STX-RC PARALLAX hubs are suprisingly strong, maintance free (i haven't had to oil mine even though i ride through sand and puddles a lot deeper than the hubs almost every week) cheap. They still dont make any noise at all.

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
Get them NOW!

Trentham

LX hubs

Hardtail

Submitted by EDDIE a weekend warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: March 10, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have the rear STX-RC hub and it works okay. I beat the hell out of it about 2 times a week, doing harsh downhills and long wet rides through mud & water and other junk. It ain't fancy but it works. the real reason that I'm posting is because the reviewer down below rules!!!! Kathy, I wish I had a wife that would take my bikes apart. Remove, disassemble and inspect a freehub??? No farging way!!! Give me an e-mail if things don't work out between you and your hubby. :-) Just kidding, Kathy. My girlfriend would kill me.

Submitted by Noah a cross-country rider from Boulder

Date Reviewed: January 12, 1999

Bottom Line:

Well, I'm on my second set, and they're pretty much as bad as the first. The freehub for the first set imploded after around 4 weeks of moderate riding. I've only done a handful of rides on this one, the warranty replacement, and its already acting up. Generally I can get LX freehubs to last around a year, so 1-2 months is pretty unacceptable. The front has worked fine, but of course, its got a lot less stress on it. I wish I could blame the failures on my superstong legs, but I think poor quality is the more likely culprit.

Submitted by Darko Andreevski - okraD a cross-country rider from Skopje, Macedonia

Date Reviewed: November 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

My STX-RC hubs came as standard equimpent on my bike... I'm riding my bike every day, since i bought it (8 months until now). With rear hub there is no problems at all.. It's not light weight, but until now i can't complain.. But fron one.. After only 3 weeks of riding, i destroyed cones. Becouse i had warranty, the guys from LBS replaced the cones.. But after 7 month since then after one really hard core tour (mud, rain, mini lakes....) Next day I went to my LBS to check everything.. Rear one was same as new one... But on front one i destroyed cones again.. So as i can see the front hub will be my next upgrade... I'm thinking between LX, XT and Sachs quartz... ok, 2 flames for my front hub and 4 for my rear (5 - 1 only becouse it's heavy), so the finnal is 3

Submitted by Chris a cross-country rider from Canberra, Oz.

Date Reviewed: October 31, 1998

Bottom Line:

They only have those shitty rubber seals, and they're heavy, too. That shits me. However, they have done the job so far. They still run smoothly after 2 months of relatively sedate riding. But I want XT... Dammit, I want XT! Why? Because I can.

Submitted by billr a cross-country rider from philla. p.a.

Date Reviewed: October 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

after at least 500 miles of pounding(about half those through mud & wet conditions) my stx rc's are still going strong. although they could be a tad bit lighter. they came with my bike and from what i hear there relatively inexpensive so i can't complain. good for the money although i think i'll upgrade when they go.

Submitted by Kathy a weekend warrior from New England

Date Reviewed: October 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

My hubby's bike came with the STX-RC rear hub. He's had it for a year and has
ridden less than 500 miles, and not too much wet stuff. He was complaining it
was noisy, so I opened it up. The drive-side bearings are crazed, and the
non-drive side cone and bearings are scored and pitted. The inner race is less
than perfect, but I don't have time to replace the whole hub, so I'm going to
replace the cone and ball bearings and re-pack it. There was plenty of grease
in both sides, too, so I don't know why it is so trashed. Hubby's only
160lbs., and not an agressive rider. Without serious competition at the low
end, like they had with Suntour, I think Shimano's quality is really going
downhill. I had a new RSX road hub with one too few ball bearings in one side.
If you plan to ride a lot, get LX at least.