Home | Reviews | Hub | Shimano

Shimano SLX FH-M678 Hub

1.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Shimano SLX Hub Rear M678 SLX Rear Freehubs are designed for lightweight and durability. The micro ratchet freehub mechanism (XTR - Saint - Dura-Ace) offer super quick engagement for added acceleration. Shimano's proven angular contact cup amp; cone bearing system provides trouble free performance and easy servicing. Features: Micro ratchet mechanism freehub - Quicker engagement (11.25 degree) amp; faster acceleration. High performance seal mechanism. Cup amp; cone adjustable bearing system. Center Lock disc mount. Long durability. Specifications: Disc Rotor Mount - Center Lock Freehub Body - 8/9-speed compatible Freehub Body Material- Steel Axle Type - Quick Release Over Locknut - 135mm Axle Length - 142mm Axle Diameter - 10mm Axle Material - Steel QR Skewer Length - 168/173mm Stainless Steel Ball Bearings Spoke Holes - 32/36 holes Hub Shell - Aluminum/anodized Center to Flange (Right) - 22.1mm Center to Flange (Left) - 35.3mm Average Weight - 384g (64g QR) Buy S

Submitted by elementsix a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2015

Strengths:    Smooth, not overly noisy, quick engagement

Weaknesses:    Some 2014 models are prone to breaking/failing prematurely.

Bottom Line:
This hub came standard on my 2014 Scott Genius 730. As my LBS tech said it was most likely an issue with me washing my bike so he re-greased the hub. With some quick research I realized my freehub is the issue (grinding when freewheeling when pedals are clocked at different angles). With more in-depth research I found that this line had some issues in 2013-2014 where the freehub will crack/break prematurely. I have ordered a new one since and hopefully this will solve my grinding issue.

Not a good impression for an SLX level hub though.

Submitted by andder

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2014

Strengths:    Looks nice, not terribly expensive, smooth when it works

Weaknesses:    Weak freehub body

Bottom Line:
First let me say, I'm not a terribly strong rider, just a weekend warrior type. Also, at 175lbs, I'm not crazy heavy, so when I broke the SECOND freehub body on this hub (in 4 months' time) I was a bit surprised and will not be purchasing a replacement. Going to bump up to the XT freehub (supposedly compatible) to see if I can get something that will last a bit longer. Definitely not recommended for anyone but a recreational rider. Plus, when it breaks it can lock up the hub completely leaving you with a fixie for the return trip :( Not great for a technical descent.