Home | Reviews | Hub | Shimano

3.39/5 (145 Reviews)

Shimano LX

Submitted by lebikerboy a Weekend Warrior from north vancouver

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2008

Strengths:    Hubs are able to be rebuilt because they're cup and cone.

Weaknesses:    LX free hub is crappy compared to XT.

Bottom Line:
This bike belongs to my friends wife who has owned it since new. She's not a stickler for maintenance so it's been a fairly big job to return it to new or better quality. The front hubs just required cleaning and new grease. The rear needed polishing of the races, new bearing and grease. Also, the free hub was partially seized so it was changed to XT.
All in all pretty good for a hub set that's seen no service for ten years!

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list.

Bike Setup:   1998 Rocky Mountain Hammer Race.

Submitted by Barkleyfan a Cross Country Rider from Iowa

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2008

Bottom Line:
I've been riding this setup for 10 years, I weigh 240lbs, and the hubs have never even been lubed. Standing up to a Clyde like me for 10 years is impressive for any component. Doing so without being maintained properly is a statement.
These wheels are light enough for XC, yet sturdy enough for all mountain, engagement is quick and crisp, and the only sound from my bike going sown the trail is the hum of the tread, and a little chain slap.

Well worth the money spent. LX components have always been a reliable workhorse group, while remaining at a replaceable pricepoint.

Favorite Trail:   Shirley Meadows

Purchased At:   Cedar Valley Sports

Bike Setup:   1996 Trek 830 rebuilt in 1998 with STX-RC shifters, LX rear derailleur, stock Xterra front, XT M-system canti's, Mavic 221 rims on LX silent hub, Sugino cranks

Submitted by travis pynn a Cross Country Rider from SF California USA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2006

Strengths:    Inexpensive, smooth running, bomber with grat seals and they come with light weight aluminum quick relaeses

Weaknesses:    Not the supper high quality of the higher end hubs, but 90% the performance at substantially less cost.

Bottom Line:
I have been listing five sets of these hubs each week on ebay.com They are brand new, 32 hole front and rear and come with aluminum quick releases. A total of five HUBSETS and Ten QR'S. They have been selling at around $50.oo each aution. Take a look if you are interested.

"This auction is for Five pair of Brand New Shimano Deore Mountain Bike Hubs,a total of ten hubs, and ten quick releases. These are brand new Shimano FH-M750 & Shimano HB-M570 9speed casssette hubs. The hubs are 32 hole front and rear and they incluse a set of quick release for each hub set as well. These are inexpensive, very high quality hubs that have a tremndous reputation for offering a lot of quality at a very affordable price point. These would be great for an fixer upper or as spare parts, or upgrades to a rental fleet. The QR's alone are almost $20 a set retail. Not to mention the Freehubs and cones, and all of the small parts."

Thanks,
Travis

Favorite Trail:   428

Similar Products Used:   I have many hours on the entire Shimano line

Bike Setup:   Seven Salsa cycles, built back when Ross owned the shop/company

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Tally, FL, US

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2006

Strengths:    Light, and strong!

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
These are the lightest hubs I've seen in a long time. I beat mine in an urban,dj,trials way and they probably arent designed for this but they are holding up remarkibly.

Bike Setup:   Fetish cycles fixation, set up as an urban assualt bike.

Submitted by American Lesion a Cross Country Rider from Venango Co. PA USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2004

Strengths:    Requires little maintenance, tough beyond words regardless of what some component abusers would say.

Weaknesses:    Its made by the monopolistic big-S. This isn't so good. My hubs are 7-spd so they are OLD Deore LX (back when Deore DX was a mountain group...say 1990 or '91?)

Bottom Line:
These things last and last and last and last and last. I've TRIED to demolish mine. The bad reviews? Well, keep this in mind: I haven't kept up with maintenance. They've been exposed to Alaskan and Pennsylvanian winters. Thousands of miles, and the stresses of a cheap fork. Yet they're rolling like they were new.

Deore LX hubs are swell by me....and I'm no Shimano fan.

Favorite Trail:   Allegheny, Oil Crk. E. Sandy Crk Trl. (PA), Farmer's Lp. & Chena Pump Rd Trl. (AK)

Purchased At:   Alpine Haus (Fairbanks, AK)

Similar Products Used:   Exage M350, Deore, Formula, Joy Tech, Sansin, Suntour XC Pro, Sovos, Altus, Acera, Alivio, Specialized hubs

Bike Setup:   This model: Royce Union Aluminuma Series 7005 Aluminum frameset, Sunrace M30 Cyclops shifters, Sunrace M60 Rear Derailleur, Acera-X front derailleur, Deore LX hubs, Suntour 7spd cassette, SRAM chain, Specialized GX-26 rims, Kenda tires, DT Swiss spokes, Alloy nipples, Specialized Son-of-a-Strongarm crank, LX and Avitar chainrings, Ritchey clipless pedals, Titec bars, JD Suspension stem, Ascent bar ends, Avid brake levers, Scott-Pederson SE Brake Levers, SR Duotrack fork, Kalloy Seatpost, SDG saddle

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from St. Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2004

Strengths:    Durable, no-fuss, relatively inexpensive, clean looks

Weaknesses:    i suppose one could find lighter hubs...

Bottom Line:
I can't believe the rating that these hubs are getting, as i have not experienced ANY problems yet. the rear hub is running a little coarse, but that is most likely due to it needing a rebuild after more than 2 years.

i weigh 230#s, and i and not really what one would call a "finesse" rider. i really tear the crap out of my stuff, and these hubs haven't given me any problems. In my experience, they are a superb no-frills hub that will not give you any problems and just let you ride. that is exactly what they've done for me.

Favorite Trail:   Kokopelli Trail loops in Fruita

Purchased At:   Ballwin Cycles

Similar Products Used:   rolfs, bontrager, other shimano hubs

Bike Setup:   franken bike for now, these hubs are laced to Mavic D521 rims w/wheelsmith spokes - the price quoted above is the price of the whole wheelset!

Submitted by Paul Alexander Jarvis a Downhiller from Cardiff, South Wales.(U.K)

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap!

Weaknesses:    NOT THAT STRONG,good for training hubs.

Bottom Line:
I use these on my training rig,they function very well for this price,not the best for jumps etc.

These are loads better than deore hubs, they run quite smooth. Make sure you service them from time to time, they should hold up.

These hubs do deserve pretty good rims, if you grt them built well they are nice and sweet for the price.

Favorite Trail:   The streets of Cardiff, South Wales.

Purchased At:   merlin cycles (uk)

Similar Products Used:   TOOO MANY, GONNA SAVE UP FOR HOPE HUBS.

Bike Setup:   Just finished building my traing rig, Merlin xc frame, black comp 120,blackspire shore headset,head lock, prod stem(white 80mm),ea 50 bars,avid 7 levers,rocket shorty 8 speed shifter,good evil grips,flax jacket + xtr cables,arch rival,prod 2003 seatpost,hope qr,wtb carbonara seat,xt splined b/b,deore cranks custom machined to run single ring,middleburn 32 ring,dmr chain cage,dmr v12,lx rear with rollermag,lx hubs laced to fir w400 rims,intense wedge tyres.

Submitted by Nikolas a Weekend Warrior from Greece

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2004

Strengths:    Rear hub is ok so far,no weakneses there

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy.front hub is not good,worked good for about 3-4 moths and after that its as good as my old acera hun.dont know why

Bottom Line:
The rear is very good if you are not concerned about weight.The fron however for some mysterius reason is no-good i tried changing the greace to motorex but i discovered that the inner syrface of the hub was to bame maybe i got a problem hub from the factory-dont know.I would prefer a cheaper deore.This is the reason i'm rating them with 3 instead of 4.they are much better than any bontrager-dt garbage however

Similar Products Used:   alivio-acera

Bike Setup:   gt pantera,judy sl,lx-xt

Submitted by Alex a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2003

Strengths:    Very smooth cup and cone bearings. Cones made of a very good instrumental grade steel, and they have borozon treated racing surfaces, that contributes to these hubs' over all longevity.
Labirint rubber seals completely isolate water and dust from getting into hubs' innards.

Weaknesses:    Shimano manufacturer put very little grease in these hubs. This grease is rather suited for concervation against the rust, rather than for the lubrication.

Bottom Line:
This is review for 2002 Shimano LX (HB-M563 Front & FH-565 Parallax Rear) hubs. This is a very good product for non demanding riding applications e.g. long distance commute. They look quite bulky but who cares?
I wouldn't advise to use them for pure MTB applications, but forXC riding they're just fine.
I rode these hubs for over 3K mi without any problems.
I repacked and readjusted its bearing after every 1k mi as a general PM procedure. Just rims wear and failure forced me to switch to spokeless Teny Rim wheelset with sealed cartridge bearings.
I can give one practical advise on these Shimano LX hubs.
As soon as you get them, unscrew its cones and flush out old grease.
Put a plenty of new grease preferably with PTF (e.g. Super Lube at $4 a tube). Readjust cup and cone berings without overtightening them.
Leave just a slight axual play before putting the wheelset the on a bike. When you fully tighten up the skewers, hubs' axual play should go away.
This simple measure will prevent hub damage in a long run.
Some people in their reviews complained about damaged cones and cups. It's a direct result of over tightening the hubs.
This Shimano rear hub have reliable cassette body. Its ratchet mechanism worked flawlesly over a year, although it has only two pawls in it. Some better quality cassette bodies have at least three pawls in its
ratchet mechanisms.
I would advise everybody to periodically libricate rear hub's rachet mechanism with Finish Line Wet lubricant (green cap bottle) as well. The bottom line - buy these hubs but try to chose best rims you can afford with them.
I would say these hubs deserve four solid flaming chilis for its performance and quality.
I can't give them all five chilis 'cause they're loosing big to cartridge bearing hubs I'm riding now.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Different kinds of generic hubs and other Chinese POS.

Bike Setup:   Rigid commuter bike for 20mi. every day commute.

Submitted by Ben Wichterman a Cross Country Rider from St. Cloud MN USA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2003

Strengths:    They are inexpensive and work well for their intended usage.

Weaknesses:    None that I can see for a product in this price range.

Bottom Line:
OK, I checked over a lot of reviews written about these hubs and the word seems to be that they are junk. However, I have experienced none of the problems that other riders seems to have had. I live in MN and I ride only during spring, summer and fall. I don't ride in the snow and I stay out of the rain and mud for the most part. This is the second season I have been using these hubs on XC trails with moderate drops. I weigh 145lbs and I ride fairly aggressively. I have not serviced these hubs yet during my use. They have several hundred miles on trails and a couple hundred miles indoor training on them. I think they work great for what they cost. They were a huge improvement over what came stock on my bike. I don't think these hubs were designed to take major beatings so maybe if your into big drops and extremely aggressive riding, look past these and go for XT or probably better XTR.

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Cheap, low end, shimano hubs that came stock on bike.

Bike Setup:   2002 Gary Fisher Marlin Custom

Submitted by Luke a Weekend Warrior from Sfk, UK

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2003

Strengths:    I've ridden over 6000 miles over 5 years on these through rain, mud, snow, even floods and they haven't flinched! I'm not a shimano fan at all, but these hubs have been superb!

Weaknesses:    Axles tend to rust a little, and sealing doesn't look up to the job... but I've never had a problem!

Bottom Line:
Lube em once a year and they last and last! Try adding an extra ball bearing in the front hub - they come with 10 but 11 fit snugly - no more clicks. Thoroughly recommended!

Purchased At:   buckley saxon cycles

Similar Products Used:   Hope XC, Shimano XT, STX, Campag Chorus

Bike Setup:   Zaskar Race, XT, X-Fly 100

Submitted by George a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap, came stock on my bike.

Bottom Line:
I don't consider myself an aggressive rider my any mean and I ride in dry conditions. I was trying to climb a rocky section of Sulphur Springs trail, couldn't make it, and walked my bike up. When I got back on and rode, I realized that my rear-hub wasn't free wheeling. I had to coast down back to the parking lot with my legs extended to the side so the spinning pedals wouldn't tear up my shins. POS rear hub

Favorite Trail:   Backbone