Home | Reviews | Hub | Shimano

3.34/5 (44 Reviews)

Shimano 96 Alivio Hubs

Submitted by mvin

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2013

Strengths:    very good

Weaknesses:    little heavy

Bottom Line:
very ok for mtb

Submitted by ingeborgsjon a Cross Country Rider from Gävle, Sweden

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2011

Strengths:    Silent, great durability, low price.

Bottom Line:
I have used it for 15 years (20000+ miles) and it still runs like a charm.

Similar Products Used:   Deore XT, Deore LX

Submitted by CoconutFish a Cross Country Rider from Quezon City, NCR, Philippines

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2009

Strengths:    Very durable, lasted me 9 years and still working. Used in races, trails and even my commutes. Can compete with Deore and Deore LX when it comes to performance.

Weaknesses:    It squeaks in some cases. But nothing serious

Bottom Line:
If it last long, its worth the money. Performance-wise this hubs both trail-worthy and commuter-worthy. Weight? what weight?

Favorite Trail:   La Mesa Watershed

Purchased At:   Topsport Tandang Sor

Similar Products Used:   2000 Shimano Alivio, Shimano 200GS Exage hubs, 1999 MOB V-brake hubs

Bike Setup:   1991 Diamond Back Ascent EX, 2000 Shimano Alivio hubs on Araya RM20 rims, Shimano Alivio Groupset, Selle Italia Mountain Saddle (circa 1990), Continental Speed King 2.1 (wire/front), Continental Mountain King 2.0 (wire/rear)

Submitted by Bryce a Cross Country Rider from Ouray, CO

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2007

Strengths:    I have had these things on my bike for around 10 years, and they are still working fine. They have never been taken to a bike shop, but they have been lubed a few times. These have been ridden tons of different types of weather, such as going through creeks all day, in the rain, through mud puddles coming up past the hub, in the snow all winter, and hot sun and dust all summer, and they have never been specially taken car of after a ride

Bottom Line:
These have been ridden tons of different types of weather, such as going through creeks all day, in the rain, through mud puddles coming up past the hub, in the snow all winter, and hot sun and dust all summer, and they have never been specially taken car of after a ride, even a harsh ride, and they still work fine.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2007

Strengths:    Durability, quiet, smooth, colour & weight.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
My 1996 GT Ricochet came stock with a Shimano Acera X (front hub) & Shimano Alivio (rear hub). I've used this bike from mid Oct.1996 to June 2001 with no problems whatsoever. The hub has always been quiet, smooth operating, a good weight to handle a clydesdale rider like myself & the colour blended in well with my other silver parts. I've used the rear hub for 9,000kms+ until I had to replace the rear wheel, due to my weight and rim without eyelets the rim cracked at 3 spoke locations.
Bottom Line: I still have the original rear wheel waiting to be attached to a new rim (with eyelets) for years of trouble-free service to put 1,000's of kilometers on.

Purchased At:   Stock on my 1996 GT Ricochet - D'Ornellas Bike Shop (1996)

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Acera X (front + rear), Shimano Deore XT Disk (rear) & Rolf Dolomite Disk (front + rear).

Bike Setup:   1996 GT Ricochet

Submitted by Drey a Weekend Warrior from Philippines

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2006

Weaknesses:    River Crossings

Bottom Line:
The Alivio Hub at rear is great! But when it came to face 10 rivers to cross it gave up! But then I reached home without breaking. The next day, I checked on the hubs and I knew that it needs replacements. It has served me well for 1 1/2 years. Still my opinion is good! Heck! The Hubs were not maintained for 3 months and then I played with river crossings. Maybe if I did maintain it before riding it there it would have survived.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore

Bike Setup:   Xtreme Cross Country

Submitted by Local Boy a Weekend Warrior from Pearl City, Hawaii

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap if you buy it aftermarket. Seems to be okay if you don't go bombing downhills or fly off stair steps.

Weaknesses:    Freehub body ratchet teeth got some cavities (i.e. doesn't lock up evenly, has some areas where there is a lot of pedal travel before it locks up).

Bottom Line:
These hubs are okay for the easy rider but the freehub body mechanism is below standard. I think I chipped some teeth so it works pretty crappy. The hub bearings itself are good with no problems. If you're going to replace your hubs spend the extra money and get good ones. If these came with your bike use them until they blow up and replace them with something better. 4 pickles for value (they're cheap) and 2 pickles for overall (lousy freehub body).

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   None yet....got some XT hubs on order to replace these.

Bike Setup:   MTB set up for cross country.

Submitted by Anthony Lovatt a Weekend Warrior from Tokyo,Japan

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2000

Strengths:    Excellent durability.Longevity is amazing considering they are deemed as being "low grade.""

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I've done nearly 15000 miles on these.I have never,ever touched them,let alone maintain them.Truly wonderful.

Favorite Trail:   Edogawa river trail

Similar Products Used:   STX,XTR

Bike Setup:   Cannondale,Avid,LX,XTR.

Submitted by Bret a Weekend Warrior from Williams

Date Reviewed: October 4, 1999

Strengths:
Solid. 4 Years of creeks and landing on my face yielded no damage (to either of us).

Weaknesses:
None.

Bottom Line:
Ok, I'm a weekend warrior. But I put these hubs through lots of creeks and over lots of rocks without ever giving a damn about maintenance for 4 years. Sure I took it to the shop maybe once a year where they may have repacked 'em, but I doubt it. And I used a high pressure hose to wash my bike off all the time. It's got a few rust spots to prove it 'cuz I never dried it off! Solid hubs. Came stock on my Trek 930.

Bull Mountain - GA

more than 3 years

LX.

Trek 930 '95, Manitou Mach 5 SX

Submitted by Alex a Cross-Country Rider from HI

Date Reviewed: August 18, 1999

Strengths:
Cheap
Front hub is durable

Weaknesses:
Rear hub isn't durable

Bottom Line:
I had the Acera X hubs. I still have the front after 3 years and I've never even opened it up. It rolls pretty smoothly. I had the rear for 2 years. Some internal part broke after a year, it would not freewheel, I had to keep pedaling while moving. The part was replced with an LX one and I had no problems after that. For they money they're not bad, though I woudn't reccomend the rear to harder riders.

2 Years

Shimano XT (rear)

Jamis HT
Generic alloy rims
14g spokes laced 3x
Alivo casette

Submitted by dan a Cross-Country Rider from sacramento,ca.

Date Reviewed: August 15, 1999

Strengths:
front hub was ok

Weaknesses:
rear

Bottom Line:
came stock on gt i had.the rear hub lasted less than 2 months.the dealer replaced under warranty with an even worse balance brand that lasted 1 month(it would come loose every 20-30 miles and finnally broke)I must say though that the front alivio hub was really great as in it never came loose and was still running great on my bike up too the time some lowlife s.o.b. stole the bike last month.

more than 3 years

'96 GT timberline

Submitted by Wyatt a Cross-Country Rider from Waukon, IA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 1999

Strengths:
Stays real clean!! (oweing to the fact that it broke before it saw any real use)

Weaknesses:
Borke it before I really had a chance to ride it. So as far as that goes, EVERYTHING.

Bottom Line:
I got this hub from my LBS as a replacement for my stock Specialized hub (which is another story in itself). I rode it around town a little bit, then rode from home to another town about 20 miles away, then I went out on the trail and broke going up an incline, one loud pop and it was gone! I wouldn't give it any flaming chilies, but it looks like I have to give it at least one.

any in NE Iowa

less than 1 month

Specialized
Shimano LX

Specialized Rockhopper w/ Judy

Submitted by bkmad a Weekend Warrior from sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 11, 1999

Strengths:
cheap

Weaknesses:
a bit heavy

Bottom Line:
For all those people that complained about the maintenance required by these hubs, listen.
If you think a hub should last for any more than 6 months without at least some adjustment you should be shot. Hubs need regreasing and adjusting from time to time (at least once a year).
These hubs are great for their price

the oaks

2 Years

LX, STX hubs

diamondback response-RIGID you suspension using wimps

Submitted by Chris a Cross-Country Rider from Scotland

Date Reviewed: April 16, 1999

Strengths:
easy to adjust

Weaknesses:
not the lightest

Bottom Line:
good hubs as these are my first ever quick release ones and I luv 'em!
I received my bike with tight bearings so had to adjust them and regrease them and now they are smooth and will last!
If you don't check then they won't last!

less than 1 month

Univega FL 830 '99
SR Suntour MG 80, RST 22 rear.
Alivio 24 spd, Tektro V brakes etc

Submitted by Scott Baker a Weekend Warrior from Kamloops BC

Date Reviewed: March 25, 1999

Strengths:
Cheap.

Weaknesses:
Cheap. The rear Acera-X hub packed it in twice in 6 months. The flimsy rubber seals fail to keep anything out, and contaminate easily.

Bottom Line:
Okay for the occasional rider, but will not stand up to inclement conditions or moisture.

1 Year

Upgrading to LX.

1997 Trek ZX6000, RST 381L fork, STX/LX components.