Home | Reviews | Hub | Shimano

3.29/5 (14 Reviews)

Shimano Acera X

Submitted by Short 'n' Stocky a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap, reliable, rebuildable, robust, shinny.

Weaknesses:    Crude and ugly.

Bottom Line:
A hub is a hub is a hub. This one isn't as well-made or as light as some, but it's strong and the wheels spin. With regular rebuilding these ones have lasted 12 years. The front will spin forever, the rear has just now reached the end of its life (a heavier than normal landing has cracked a cup).

Purchased At:   A Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Deore DX hubs (yes, I'm old)

Bike Setup:   Abused 12 year-old ridged cro-mo framed GT with various bits replaced as and when I brake them. If this bike wasn't so robust I could be riding a nice new full-sus by now...

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2007

Strengths:    Durability, quiet, smooth, colour & weight.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
My 1996 GT Ricochet came stock with a Shimano Acera X (front hub) & Shimano Alivio (rear hub), I then had to replace the rear wheel with a Shimano Acera X (rear hub) as the Mavic M-238 rim cracked on the stock rear wheel.
I've used this bike from mid Oct.1996 with no problems whatsoever (front hub) & no problems with the rear hub since I got the wheel in 2001. They have always been quiet, smooth operating, a good weight to handle a clydesdale rider like myself & the colour blends in well with the silver spokes, nipples and Mavic M-238 rim. I've used these hubs for 9,000kms+ on the front & 2,000kms+ on the rear.
Bottom Line: For a $1,200 bike that I got at the end of season sale for $800 back in Oct.1996 (1996 GT Ricochet) with an assortment of Shimano Acera X, Alivio & STX parts it was well worth the price.

Purchased At:   Stock on my 1996 GT Ricochet, replaced rear wheel from a Bike Shop in Scarborough, ON, Canada

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Alivio (rear), Shimano Deore XT Disk (rear) & Rolf Dolomite Disk (front + rear).

Bike Setup:   1996 GT Ricochet.

Submitted by Genital Apparatus a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2004

Strengths:    Very strong, races have not suffered any damage yet.

Weaknesses:    Freehub sucks, blew up within three months. The hub is a little heavy and not very pretty.

Bottom Line:
I'll admit, this hub is doing pretty well, and seems to be spinning pretty well. The original freehub is gone, and I have now replaced it with a XT. Not the lightest or flashiest hub around, but it has survived and is doing well. I think it deserves a really good value rating.

Favorite Trail:   Natural trials

Purchased At:   Duke's On Queen

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Planet-X Tibo. Typical trials setup.

Submitted by Aaron McGraw a Cross Country Rider from Oil City, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2003

Strengths:    Regardless of what these posers below say, it spins, spins well, and is pretty darn durable.

Weaknesses:    Sort of plain-jane, no Shimano or Acera logos. Unimpressive QR (but servicable)

Bottom Line:
Hey, despite what some of these pseudo-elitists say, this hub works and works quite well. Not the most attractive hub out there, but it is certainly fine for bike-trail types (I don't take this bike off the beaten path all that frequently). The seals seem fine, obviously this hub isn't in the same category as LX, XT, or XTR, and those boneheads that say "Go out and buy XT" don't realize that not everyone needs bombproof and $$$$ components. Should work just fine for weekend forays on dirt. The price is great.

Favorite Trail:   Venango County Sandy Creek, Oil Creek, and Allegheny Trails

Purchased At:   (with wheelset) at Country Pedalers, Franklin, PA (don't go there, these folks are ignorant)

Similar Products Used:   Exage, Suzue, Sanshin, LX, Formula, Sovos, Shimano 105 & 600 Ultegra, Specialized 40 hole

Bike Setup:   1988 Fuji Cadenza Chromoly Frameset with Weinmann rims, Acera 36 hole hubs, DT Swiss spokes w/ brass nipples, 1.75 inch slicks, Rock Shox Judy TT fork, Diacompe Aheadset, Nashbar threadless stem, Kalloy Silver Ano, flat bars, Shwinn grips, SRAM MRX shifters, Nashbar-branded Tektro brake levers, Tektro front Linear pull brake, Dia-Tech rear U-brake, Exage M350 crank with Syncros black ano. outer ring, Sugino middle ring, and Specialized steel inner ring, Old-style cup and bearings BB, KMC Z-chain, Exage Trail M350 front and rear derailleur, Falcon 7-spd freewheel, Kalloy seatpost, SDG saddle, Nashbar Special Clipless pedals

Submitted by Han Jai a Weekend Warrior from Surrey, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2003

Strengths:    (none, but it at least waorks)

Weaknesses:    -not sealed
-cups bend easily
-need to be overhauled
-unsmooth

Bottom Line:
I think that this hub is just a hub body, ball bearings, cups, axle, and a few fittings. All shimano hubs are like this even those XTR's that are meant for racers. I tried to overhaul it and it didn't make the hub become smoother. Worst of all, the cups came off after a ride after it was overhauled. There isn't really a seal. You can't really re- overhaul these hubs because it just starts falling apart. They just want you to get another hub. I wouldn't recommend this to ANYONE even LITTLE BABIES.

Go check out the formula cartridge(sealed bearing) hubs at www.formulahubs.com and go to the install/maintain section and click on one of those good hubs and see what those have inside.

This hub and all other Shimano hubs may be light but they're not meant for lifetime. If for some reason you got these hubs with your bike don't even spend one extra penny on over-hauling this hub. Just ride it until it doesn't work.

These QR's wear off on trainers.

Even though I used these for over three years it doesn't mean it is good. I used it until the whole thing came apart.

Favorite Trail:   South Surrey Atheletic Park

Purchased At:   came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   Formula Cartridge Disc hubs, LX, Exage

Bike Setup:   LX drivetrain, Z5 100mm Bomber, 7005 frame

Submitted by Russ Grier a Weekend Warrior from Aberdeen, UK

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap.... err... that's about it. Front hub's ok and looks cool.

Weaknesses:    Needs a lot of maintenance, the seals are pretty rubbish and the insides aren't very 'hard-wearing'.

Bottom Line:
Surprisingly I serviced the front wheel about two years ago and it still spins freely like a perpetual motion device. No complaints with the front hub! However, the rear hub is another story all together. I've had to replace bearings in it several times and if I spin it by hand I get a lovely grinding noise and then the wheel stops after a short time - I think the rear hub could be modified into an effective brake.

Favorite Trail:   Kirkhill

Purchased At:   Alpine bikes

Similar Products Used:   XT

Bike Setup:   Saracen Hardtrax, factory spec front and back wheels.

Submitted by RICHARD WEST a Weekend Warrior from BEDS ENGLAND

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2002

Strengths:    LIGHTWEIGHT AS SUMMAT REET LIGHT.

Weaknesses:    LOOKS BAD WITH DODGY MACHINING LINES. NOT MUCH SEALING TO TALK ABOUT.

Bottom Line:
I GOT THESE ON MY OLD KONA WHEN I WAS STARTING OUT. THEY WORKED WELL ENOUGH FOR A YEAR BUT THEY THEN BECAME KNACKERED.OK PERHAPS I DIDNT CLEAN OUT THE GUTS OF EM FOR TOO LONG. BUT AFTER A YEAR YOU EXPECT TO FIND ALL THE BALL BEARINGS IN THERE SOMEWHERE. OH NO WHERE DID THEY GO???. SH*TE APOLLOS HAVE LONGER LASTIN HUBS.

Favorite Trail:   ANYWHERE WITH JUMPS

Purchased At:   CAME WITH BIKE

Similar Products Used:   HOPE SPORT (THE BEST)

Bike Setup:   PLANET X ,Z1S, XT, HOPE MINI

Submitted by serpico a Cross Country Rider from mudville washington

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2001

Strengths:    they hold up under singlespeed use.

Weaknesses:    these hubs require a lot of maintainence to make them last

Bottom Line:
i have had good luck with these hubs as long as they are maintained.

Favorite Trail:   one w/o horses

Bike Setup:   95 haro converted to singlespeed

Submitted by Jordan a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2001

Strengths:    Havent taken them apart in 2 years and they still work like new

Weaknesses:    nothing really

Bottom Line:
Very good

Bike Setup:   98' giant warp ds1 frame with mix matched parts

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from London, Ontario

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2000

Strengths:    sorry what?

Weaknesses:    The free wheel was not so free for very long

Bottom Line:
Shimano hubs seem to be going downhill. My beater mountain bike had those old shimano alloy mountain hubs, you know the ones, real skinny with nice curves and polished finish. then I got this used bike without a backwheel, so I bought a cheapo wheel built up with nice DT stainless spokes and a purple Joytech (taiwanese) hub. The hub worked real well and looked nice for quite some time, till I overhauled it and noticed that the bearing cones were totally ground up. So I scavenged the rim to replace the front one that I had bent 2 inches out of true and straightened out two years earlier. Then I went down to one of my many LBS's to pick up a wheel. I decided on the cheap Acera ones because they were cheap and they had nice looking rubber sealing cones and that newer style thick body and most of all because of Shimano "quality" (and not many good hubs come with 7 speed spacing) The wheel cost me more than the one I bought the first time, which led me to believe it would be better, or at least as good, with inflation and all. (it didn't even look as nice as the old ones, it was all grooved from machining and not being sanded or polish after)

First of all, it wasn't even as true as the wheel I'd just built up myself without a truing stand, which was my first ever such endeavour. So I straightened it out a bit and then forgot about it and rode for a while, ( In slush and snow) after about 6 months, the freewheel just stopped working, I would stop peddling and then feel a yank on the pedals as the cogset kept spinning and sucked in the chain. Also, the spokes got all corroded which never happened on my cheapo wheel. So I took it off and stole the wheel from my brothers bike, featuring an old style shimano hub, and never had another problem. The wheel is still sitting in my basement and now you can't turn the "free" wheel either way no matter how hard you try.

Epilogue: When I got my new bike, a K2/proflex featuring shimano LX hubs, I was expecting much better. But, after a few rides, not even in the winter, I was shocked to hear that familliar Whiz-Clunk of the chain being sucked into the freewheel. And a very gritty sound was made as I turned the cogs by hand with the wheel off the bike.

So, don't buy shimano hubs, and if you do, make sure you have a hyperglide lock ring tool and a 10 mm allen so you can overhaul your "sealed" freewheel every ride or so.

Favorite Trail:   Kain Road

Purchased At:   To Wheels

Similar Products Used:   way old shimano, shimano LX, Coda competition disc, Joytech baby!

Submitted by Poida a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2000

Strengths:    Well they're pretty cheap and they are sealed, well mine are anyway.

Weaknesses:    i haven't had them for very long but so far so good.

Bottom Line:
I got these hubs on wheels I bought spoked onto Araya rims. They were damn cheap so I bought them. Better than my old wheels with Joytech hubs. Good but i'm not sure how long they will last for...

Favorite Trail:   Lysterfield