Home | Reviews | Hub | Sachs

3.43/5 (21 Reviews)

Sachs Quarz

Submitted by Alain Trudeau a Weekend Warrior from Canada, Quebec, Montreal

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2004

Strengths:    a great quality product

Weaknesses:    dosent shift well in winter when the cogs are full of ice lol

Bottom Line:
GREAT! it dosent shift as well as shimano but i'v been running it for 7 years and it still runs great!!!
i do take it apart every year to put some new greace in and remove the dirt.

i hate shimano :P

suntour was the best but they went out...

Purchased At:   Andre Cycle

Similar Products Used:   shimano, suntour

Bike Setup:   nukeproof hub with Sachs freewheel 7 speed

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Elkhart, IN

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2001

Strengths:    No problems in 2 years.

Weaknesses:    Not apparent yet

Bottom Line:
Price includes wheel parts and build.

No problems with the hub still. Had to tighten bearings once. Otherwise still engages consistently and smoothly. Can't ask for more.

Favorite Trail:   Still looking...

Purchased At:   Bicycle One

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT and below, Nukeproof, others

Bike Setup:   Which one?
Dakar with Toys
or Commuter with Toys?

Submitted by quadpod from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    terrible quality.

Bottom Line:
This hub locked up a few months after I got it. Went to my local shop where it was built, Sachs (was right after sachs merged with SRAM) wouldn't replace it for free, they just gave me one at cost, then I had to pay for a 2nd wheelbuild. 6-8 months later, starts to lock up again!

My advice: Stay away from Sachs/Sram products! I've had 2 SRAM deraillures snap in a period of a month this year. I now look to other non-shimano companies for my parts.
WTB disc hubs have held up well for me, that may be a good alternative.

Favorite Trail:   hairball, Blacksburg VA

Similar Products Used:   Shimano stx,lx,xt,xtr even dx. WTB disc hubs.

Bike Setup:   GT XCR 1500.

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Gilbert, AZ

Date Reviewed: October 25, 1999

Strengths:
Smooth bearings
Well sealed
Easy to build
Strong flange for radial spoking
Stout axle when using suspension forks
Cool shape not like the typical and boring S'mano

Weaknesses:
'Quarz' what the hell kind of name is that? Haven't tried the Rear hub of the same name, I usually give in to the Shimano monopoly and yes I still use AT&T for long distance

Bottom Line:
If you can find these hubs available buy them, they roll like butter and probably cannot beat the value for an overall build. If you want disco colors or are running disco brakes look elsewhere Jackson

Secret mine trail off of TRW trail

1 Year

All Shimano hubs, Bullseye, Specialized Stout.

Giant Sedona, with Manitou SX

Submitted by James a Cross-Country Rider from Indiana

Date Reviewed: August 12, 1999

Strengths:
Smooth
Durable
Cheap
Light

Weaknesses:
None found just yet.

Bottom Line:
Replaced a Mavic 217 / 14-15g / LX (silent clutch) Wheel with a Bontrager Mustang / 14-15g / Quartz. The old wheel didn't stay in true, and after having to true it about 2 X a week for about 2 months I replaced it with the Quartz.The quartz wheel has worked flawlessly since then. It is not come loose, it has engaged consistently. The finish is the same as the day I bought it. Been the perfect part. Built and forgotten, I haven't needed to have anything done to it since it was installed.

Still Looking

1 Year

XT, LX

Specialized Ground Control with lots of swaps.

Submitted by PRC a Cross-Country Rider from Cascais Portugal

Date Reviewed: May 18, 1999

Strengths:
Cheap, good looks (when new)

Weaknesses:
Has developed some play,
The finish has corroded somewhat

Bottom Line:
I rate these somewhere between the LX hubs which came stock on the GT and the XTs on my other bike. The hubs have about 2000km on them, I've had to correct the lateral play twice. The finish has corroded, but its probably due to the salty air here. I'll give them 3 flaming dogs - 1 dog for the finish

2 Years

LX , XT

Quarz hubs, 217 sunset, dt competition
double butted (15/14G) spokes.

Submitted by Francesco Picasso a weekend warrior from Lisbon, Portugal

Date Reviewed: March 3, 1999

Bottom Line:

I bought a Sachs Plasma some months ago, hoping to keep it for years.
~Wrong! It started to unscrew, and the freewhell as been replaced under waranty.
Now, after an other 6 months it stopped working. The mecanic said it sudc needed to disamble it to clean it. That is not an excuse. This hubs sucks!!!

Submitted by RDB a cross-country rider from Weirton, WV 26062

Date Reviewed: February 27, 1999

Bottom Line:

I thought the weight was in the ballpark with other higher priced hub sets. But I guess I found out why they were so inexpensive......broke 2 rear hubs( the first one being replaced under warranty) If I remember, there were only 3 pawls in the freehub...probably making it easy to foul) I went to a Hugi rear and have had NO problems. And the Hugi is rebildable!
One pepper....I hate having to have hubs relaced!!!!The front seemed ok, but I deep sixxed it any way........

Submitted by Barry a cross-country rider from Stafford, Virginia

Date Reviewed: January 15, 1999

Bottom Line:

Front hub is fine, rear failed after several months.Pawls wouldn't engage properly, slipped before gripping.Actually saw one at the LBS that exploded.The first rear I received I sent back due to the fact that it grinded when it rotated.I will NEVER buy another Sachs rear hub... We'll see about the front.

Submitted by Damiano Visocnik a cross-country rider from SLC,UT USA

Date Reviewed: January 4, 1999

Bottom Line:

I bought my Quarz rear hub through REI and laced it to a Bontrager Mustang Asym myself. After only two months of moderate riding (no mud) the hub seized on a long uphill ride. I had broken previously several LX and XT freehub bodies, all due to palses faliure; the Quartz did not prove to be any different to the Shimano. I have also shredded the spline for the freehub body on a LX Shimano rear hub. Incidentally I am 220 lb and I like to ride hard and steep.
The hub has been replaced under warranty and I had no chance to ride it since.
I also built a second wheel with a rear Chris King, which I have not tested yet.
I can not rate the Quartz highly. Two chillies only!

Submitted by Herb Snogren from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: November 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

I purchased a set of these hubs during an Alaska to Tierra del Fuego bike tour. I put them on in Guatamala after 3000 - 4000 miles the press fit freewheel had separated from the hub. The design sucks! Sachs replaced my rear hub with a new design featuring a screw on freewheel. The outer shell of the cassette body cracked within 2000 miles and is now being replaced under warranty again. I am not impressed with their quality. Zero chiles for the rear hub. The front hubs are great. I rode from Guatamala to Tierra del Fuego (10,000 miles) on one set of bearings with zero maint. and zero problems. The cartrige bearings on the front and rear hubs are interchangeable, easy to replace and last a long time with no maint. A full set of chiles for the front hubs.

Submitted by Krzysztof Zielinski a cross-country rider from Poland

Date Reviewed: November 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've bought them because people in my LBS recomended it. I wanted Deore XT, but the guy said that they're better and cheaper. He was right - ther roll very smooth on cartridge bearings and are lighter than XTR's. I built wheels with these hubs, DT Competition butted spokes and Mavic X 517 CD rims and I'm really satisfied - I've great wheels with great hubs. As far as I know they'll be selled under SRAM brand in 1999 as Sachs has been bought by SRAM.

Submitted by Dr fez a cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: September 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought a Sachs Quartz and Mavic 217 wheelset from Nashbar. The hub has held up fine but the whole wheelset seems to be lopsided in weight. On a truing stand, it will cause the stand to hop when the wheel is spun fast. You can also see the same result when the tire is on the rim and the bike is upside down and the wheel is spun fast. I'm thinking of sending it back to Nashbar. Has anyone else had this problem?

Submitted by Dave a cross-country rider from Washington

Date Reviewed: September 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

These hubs are light, inexpensive, spin smoothly on larger sealed bearings. However, the rear hub has only two sealed bearings, freehub has two sets of small loose bearings and is pressed in -- I torqued these suckers off and torque twisted the main axle guide shaft -- I have resized the guide shaft reassembled the entire cheap ass rear, went for a ride and torqued it off again. I'd stay away from the rear if it is the press fit unit. But, they are light and they are smooth. The front has worked flawlessly, and may be overbuilt with the bearing size. Five chiles for the front - one chile for the rear.

Submitted by Mike from Va. a cross-country rider from Fredericksburg, Va. USA

Date Reviewed: September 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had a Sachs Quarts hubset built up for about 8 months now and my rear hub is starting to slip. The internal mechanism is allowing slippage during torquing and I am freewheeling a lot when I'm spinning. The front is great and runs smooth, but the rear has let me down. I'm sending it back to Nashbar. BTW my best friend has a set as well, and his rear hub started the same thing about two weeks after mine did. I'll never buy another.

Sachs Quarz shifters

I got a set of Sachs Quarz shifters recently. They were apparetnly on cannondale bike, that previous owner did not use. So there was no manual when I bought. They are very light, as all of you know @ 150g with cables. I just did not like the silver cables, so I have tried to replace them w ... Read More »