Home | Reviews | Hub | Ritchey

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Ritchey Z-Hub Pro

Submitted by Zizzle a Cross Country Rider from Topeka

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2004

Strengths:    I love the skewer-axle design. It just makes so much sense, you wonder why more hubs don't have it.
Very easy to service.
Price is right!

Weaknesses:    It's not hyped (i.e., nobody's going to say "Wow, is that a Ritchey Z-hub Pro?"). However, this keeps it from being overpriced.

Bottom Line:
I haven't given this hub enough use to really say anything other than the design seems rock solid. I'm writing this review to say that they fixed the problem mentioned below (Thick skewer-axle connecting to a normal skewer-sized piece). The Skewer-axle is now a solid 12 (or is it 14?) mm bolt that threads directly into the nut that holds the wheel on.

I'm givin it five flaming chilis on design and value (got mine for $35 shipped to my door). You'll definitely be reading another review if I have any reason to take any of those chilis back, but I'm not expecting to.

Favorite Trail:   BUMP Trail

Purchased At:   BikeCambria.com

Similar Products Used:   This is my 1st disc hub. I've used non-disc Specialized Stout (also skeweraxle design), and Chris King.

Bike Setup:   Intense Uzzi SL, Marzocchi BAM

Submitted by Brad Hardesty a Downhiller from St. Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2000

Strengths:    Strong, durable, easy to service, and the skewer actually is the axle.

Weaknesses:    At this time, there is no option for the user to use other brands of skewers. (You must use Ritchey skewers because of the special size).

Bottom Line:
There is a lot of hype out there about hubs and which ones are the best. The truth is that there are only two kinds of hubs in this world; good hubs and bad hubs. I have used this set for six months now and have not had any problems whatsoever. I am having another wheelset being built right now with these hubs and WTB rims. My wheelbuilder has over 30 years of experience and he would not builw with these hubs if he thought for one moment that I would have any problems with them. I would just like to be able to use an aftermatket set of titanium skewers (such as Salsa). These hubs definetly are on the good list.

Favorite Trail:   I never met a trail that I did not like

Similar Products Used:   LX, XT, WTB Momentum

Bike Setup:   Ritchey Z Hubs with Rhyno Lite rims on a San Andreas with 4" of travel front and rear.

Submitted by Patrick Wullaert a Cross-Country Rider from De Klinge, Belgium

Date Reviewed: May 6, 1999

Strengths:
Errr...

Weaknesses:
Weak axle/QR, construction

Bottom Line:
There was a Z-Hub Pro front hub on my new Kona King Kikapu. The skewer axle of the bloody thing (it comes as a set) snapped after only a week. I really didn't overtighten it ! I've tightened many skewers in the six years I've been riding mountain bikes and this was *not tight* ! The axle is oversized; the fork rests on the axle rather than on the 'outer hubs'. But at the side where the skewer needs to be tightened the diameter of the axles narrows to the usual size, making it a weak construction (a chain is as strong as its weakest link !). The skewer has been replaced under guarantee but I've already ordered a Chris King hub. I don't trust these things anymore !

La Roche, Belgium