Home | Reviews | Hub | Ringlé

Ringle Superduperbubba Hubs

Submitted by Daveoc a Cross Country Rider from Ireland

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2011

Strengths:    None

Bottom Line:
The hub came as standard with the bike which i bought in January after 3 months the pawls on the free hub went without warning leaving me to walk the rest of a great days ride. Returned to the cyclesuperstore who then they couldn't get spares for it and had to replace it with am equivalent shimano hub total wheel rebuild. Surprised cube went for such poor quality parts would not recommend

Favorite Trail:   Djouce

Purchased At:   Cyclesuperstore

Bike Setup:   Cube ams125pro

Submitted by kayakjamie a Cross Country Rider from Palo Alto, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2008

Strengths:    Don't know

Weaknesses:    This came on an Ellsworth tandem. The first time on the bike, we went 100 yds up a hill and the pawls broke. I replaced the pawls. The third time I took out the bike, the pawl race stripped from the hub. Twice now I have had to climb out of a valley because the hub broke. Ringle have sent me a replacement Jumping Flea. Based on the other reviews, I don't know whether to sell it while it works or run the risk getting caught out in the woods again.

Bottom Line:
As long as you don't climb hills with a small granny, you are probably OK to use this hub.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Purchased At:   was on bike

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT hubs on my Blur. LX rear hub on my Cannondale MT800 tandem. They have all taken a thrashing and never broken.

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Witness full suspension tandem. 24 granny, 32 rear. Too much torque for Ringle.

Submitted by cannon 16 a Weekend Warrior from northumberland, uk

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2008

Strengths:    Hmmm, let me think... Err, no. The front one seems ok.

Weaknesses:    they die quicker than any hub ever

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Flea hubs. First things first - the front one is fine after a year's intermitant us in harsh uk conditions. As I'd expect from any hub.

The rear one is completely dead though. Bearings completely gone in the freehub, though the pawls are fine. Lets put this into perspective. I still have a 1992 shimano XT rear hub running fine on its original freehub. I have several Hope hubs running smooth from the late 90's. I have Deore hubs running smooth too (except the cones loosening). If I'd bought this piece of over hyped tat at retail (£115 in the UK) I'd have been furious it went so quickly. As its OEM I'll take the hit, see how much the freehub is to replace (as the freehub body needs replacing too - apparently its made of cheese or something equally soft - the cassette has eaten right into the splines). So, maybe if you live in the sunny ol' USofA they are ok, but anywhere where it might rain, forget them and get shimano or Hope (or King if your loaded). Bottom line? Tat.

Favorite Trail:   squamish freeride

Purchased At:   OEM on Commencal

Similar Products Used:   Hope (fantastic), shimano LX, deore, XT, XTR plus loads of no name stuff

Bike Setup:   Commencal meta 5.5 team. Fox 36s, SRAM XO

Submitted by Richard a Downhiller from Wellington, NZ

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2008

Strengths:    Bomb proof. Smoother than satin.

Weaknesses:    They apparently don't make em like they used to.

Bottom Line:
I got an anodized ringle front hub in 92 and I just finished up using it this year (2008). It still runs more smoothly than anything else I've seen or used. This thing is simply unmatchable. Replaced only, thats absolutely only, because I got sick of brake pad alignment and moved everything I ride to disc brakes.

Its being donated to a friend for more use. One thing to note, I did replace the bearings with triple sealed general mechanics in 95. Not because the previous ones were worn, just because I never wanted to think about liquid getting in the bearings while doing races that include river crossings.

Favorite Trail:   Mt kahuranaki

Purchased At:   Pedal Power

Similar Products Used:   Yeah, right.

Bike Setup:   Custom everything. Mostly Shimano parts, some Deore DX even. Mavic rims. Azonic bars. All else changes.

Submitted by Shawn a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2008

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Walked out of the woods twice after seperate hubs suffered from pawl failure. I have seen $10 doller hubs work better then these.

Bottom Line:
Ringle should be ashamed they havent designed a fix for this problem that has plagued there product for years.
I am never buying a ringle product again, and would advise you to do the same. They dont even deserve one chili. I am removing all ringle products from my bike and recycling them at the smelter.

Favorite Trail:   Lower Big Quil

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   shimano, hope

Bike Setup:   Intense Uzzi SLX, Shimano XT

Submitted by Jason V from St.Louis, Mo

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2007

Strengths:    ive ran this hub for two years to countless mountain bike parks, and it has great engagement, its tough, and noisy (in a good way). ringle has the best service department!

Weaknesses:    about a year ago the pawl engagement ring cracked, i was devastated, being the poor mountain cyclist i am, but have no fear J dub from ringle replaced my hub.

Bottom Line:
but seriously ive had great luck with ringle stuff and because of there service dept. will be very hard pressed to buy from another manufacturer!

Favorite Trail:   Dirt to A , chubb

Purchased At:   dont remember

Similar Products Used:   yes

Bike Setup:   wheels, seat, handlebars, a neat little bell. demo 8,888,holzfeller,beef

Submitted by Mike Cooper a Downhiller from Tuxedo, NY

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2006

Strengths:    They look nice, and the clickity-click of the rear hublets hikers know you're coming!

Weaknesses:    Just like it seems 75% of the people on MTBR.com said, the pawls broke after about a year or so of intermediate level riding. Bearings wear out fast too. At an MSRP of $250+ for the rear hub alone, there is no excuse for this.

Bottom Line:
I've been having problems with this hub, so I googled for some info and it took me here. Now, I find out that people have been having the same problems with these rear hubs for almost 10 years?!?!? And, I have to laugh at the folks telling us that we don't know how to maintain our bikes? I've been riding for over 15 years now (even worked in a bike shop through high school) and NEVER had to do anything worth mentioning to keep a SEALED BEARING hub rolling..........you shouldn't have to, and anyone who says differently is either buying into what the tech support at Sun tells them or justifying their purchase of this overpriced mechanical nightmare. Then again, maybe they work for Sun and are trying to balance out what would otherwise be nothing but poor reviews.

Hey Sun-Ringle' how long does it take to reinvent the wheel here? Redesign your hub, come out with a new one, or at the very least, take this awful thing off the market. Come to think of it, the rims aren't as good as Mavic either.

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood State Park

Purchased At:   cambriabike.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Formula, Syncros hubs? Back in the day, I might have even had some Suntour hubs, but I don't remember since NONE of them ever caused me a bit of grief.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Switch w/Marzocchi 66VF fork, Sun Eight Track wheels and (of course) Ringle' ABBAH hubs.

Submitted by Scott Simpson a Cross Country Rider from Sanford, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2006

Strengths:    Durable, spin great, rear hub has a loud crisp sound everyone comments on.

Weaknesses:    red color

Bottom Line:
Not a problem from a set of hubs that have been passed down from three different owners, outlasted a set of sun O degree rims. Now laced to Mavic D521 cuz I am now a burly rider. If you find a deal on these, you can't go wrong.

Favorite Trail:   Ocala's 3 threesome

Purchased At:   used from a friend

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   Iron horse HT, Rockshok Judy, Race Face, Chris King, XT, Avid

Submitted by Tyler a Downhiller from Salt Lake City, UT

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2006

Strengths:    BURLY - a 12mm rear feels so solid and tracks so nicely. This hub compliments the solid axle with a burly ratchet and smooth bearings. The thing still feels new!

Weaknesses:    Definetely a DH/FR part. Not made to be light.

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for a burly 12mm hub, this is a great way to go.

Purchased At:   Review for 12mm Rear Hub

Similar Products Used:   Shimano hubs

Submitted by Nathan a Cross Country Rider from Clarence N.Y. U.S.A

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2005

Strengths:    Fast hubs ,easy to service ,affordable ,replacment bearings and pawls are inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub requires pawl maintanance on a twice a season or more interval depending on rider and conditions. Rear hub could be lighter.

Bottom Line:
These hubs realy are excellent hubs if properly cared for,I have been on these things for years and thosands of hard core XC miles and had little to no issues with them. I have one set in particular that I have relaced three times and replaced the bearings on once in probably six or seven years of use.I bought a second set pre built from sun on a package deal with four of my buds because the 0-deg wheel hub combo is hard to beat dollar for dollar. Tony at sun warranty was very good to deal with for replacment parts and also willing to sell wheel packages at my request. All of muy riding crew are still running these wheels and hubs with no problems.
Here is why! If you own these hubs the first thing you must do is remove the free hub body. Easy to do with allen wrenches. RINGLE recomends oil in the free hub!! F#$# that!! Wipe out any oil in the body find a good synthetic grease FINISHLINE or similar, remove the pawls from the freehub body,next remove the three springs that rest behind the pawls,carefully give each spring a little stretch outward to help increase the pressure on the pawls.
Apply a thin amount of grease into each pawl cup and sping hole,reinstall all springs and pawls,coat entire outside of pawls and inner hub ratchet with grease.Dont go nuts on the grease but be sure to keep all contact points and pawl serfaces coated well. Reinstall freehub onto hub by carefully rotating freeub body,you may have to carfully push the pawls into the body a bit with a small screwdriver to clear the outside of the hub.Reinsall cassette, Grease the interface there too.
With this being done you will notice that the freehub is now much quiter than ever before and engagement should be spot-on,when you hear it geting noisey its time to grease again!!!!!
I think these poor rear hubs have gotten a bad rap they realy dont deserve if they are cared for like I said they prove to be a great performing, rebuildable, durable platform that come in way less $ than XTR. Great colors to.
OF course once you scrape up the money for KING they will be a great back up set!!! KING is KING!!!

Purchased At:   Sun Ringle and LBS

Similar Products Used:   XT,XTR,CHRIS KING!!

Bike Setup:   98 LITESPEED TELLICO R.F. Turbine isis ,full XTR, KING, 517cer, SUN 0-DEG RINGLE.

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2005

Strengths:    Review is for 439 lite rear hub

Weaknesses:    Piece of crap - used for less than a year in good conditions, same problem as other posters - pawls won't engage.

Bottom Line:
Stay away from this rear hub. Inherent design fault.

Favorite Trail:   Don

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano hubs

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar

Submitted by Leland a Downhiller from Los Osos, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2005

Strengths:    rolls

Weaknesses:    I have a two piece hub, which I dont know much about except that one end floats against the hub and frame. The hub always shakes loose and needs maintanence about every 3-6 rides.

Bottom Line:
Dont buy it.

Favorite Trail:   Tower

Purchased At:   Arts Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   shimano, intense, sun

Bike Setup:   mavic, hayes, dt swiss (spokes)

Submitted by CmdrPiffle a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz Ca.

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2005

Strengths:    Durability! I've only owned the front hub. I've had it on a bike since 93. I've rebuilt it maybe 7 or 8 times. (sharp knife on the plastic caps of the 'sealed bearings). It's been through I think 5 wheels? Still smooth as butter.

Weaknesses:    Paper decal lettering soaked up oil and dirt from day one. I'm really stretching here to say anything negative!

Bottom Line:
Best hub I've owned for the $$$. I've retired it this year I guess 'cause I went to disc brakes. It's just sitting there looking at me like it did something wrong. I rode it pretty hard for about 11 years. 4 of that was racing. Never had a problem with that hub.
Again, this is the front hub only. Never had the rear one.

Favorite Trail:   Tractor...

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Shimano....ughhh

Bike Setup:   Clark Kent Ti. RS Psylo, various overpriced doodads here and there

Submitted by ERIC RIDER a Weekend Warrior from PORTLAND, OREGON,USA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2005

Strengths:    UHH, COMES IN BLACK. LASTS FOR ONE SEASON. LOOKS GOOD. MAKES A COOL BUZZING SOUND WHEN COASTING.

Weaknesses:    THE MAIN PROBLEM IS THE SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE THAT HAS A PROBLEM WITH 'EM---THE PAWLS ARE STEEL-THE ENGAGEMENT SURFACE IS ALUMINUM. HMM, LETS THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A MOMENT. EVEN HARDENED ALUMINUM, SUCH AS 7075 T-6, LIKE THIS ONE, WILL BREAK DOWN WHEN BRUTALIZED BY STEEL.OH YEAH, THE PAWL SPRINGS ARE REALLY WHIMPY TOO.

Bottom Line:
I KNOW HOW TO KEEP UP WITH PERIODIC MAINTAINENCE, AND I ALSO KNOW HOW LONG AN ITEM SHOULD LAST BEFORE IT HAS STRUCTURAL FAILURE. I PUT TOGETHER MY ENTIRE BIKE (MINUS THE WHEEL BUILD), AND ITS NOT THE FIRST BIKE I BUILT EITHER. I HAVE TAKEN APART AND SERVICED EVERYTHING I CAN SO BIKE SHOPS DONT CHARGE ME AN ARM AND LEG, AND I'VE GOT TO SAY THAT THE HUB DRIVE ENGAGEMENT SYSTEM IS VERY POORLY MADE FOR AGGRESSIVE USE. IF YOU RACE XC-NO PROBLEM, IF YOU RIDE TO THE STORE AND BACK-NO PROBLEM, IF YOU RIDE LIKE THE 3 YEAR OLD DOWN THE STREET-NO PROBLEM. BUT IF YOU ARE LIKE ME AND LIKE TO HAVE FUN ON YOUR BIKE, STAY AWAY FROM THIS HUB. I HAVE HAD MINE FOR 14 MONTHS AND IT IS NOW GARBAGE. FORGET A WARRANTY-GO BIG, GO FOR BROKE, GET A CHRIS KING(now made here in portland oregon) OR WOODMAN COMPONENTS "BILL EXTREME".

Favorite Trail:   "THE CONCRETE JUNGLE"

Purchased At:   JENSON USA

Similar Products Used:   SHIMANO, PULSTAR, WORLD CLASS, BULLSEYE, CHRIS KING, REAL DESIGNS, HADLEY, MAVIC, RINGLE ABBAH AND SUPERDUPER 8

Bike Setup:   SOUL CYCLES TITAN (HARDTAIL)/MARZOCCHI 66RC/FSA-SOUL-HAYES-OURY-SHIMANO-AC-EVIL-AZONIC-ROACH-ARROW-DT-VELOX-MAXXIS-HADLEY-RACE FACE-TRUVATIV-SALSA-DELTA-ETC.---DIRT JUMPING/URBAN/SLALOM/4X/MINIMUM DH BIKE

Submitted by Terry a Cross Country Rider from Illinois

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2004

Strengths:    None, compared to other rear hubs.

Weaknesses:    The rear hub design is a TOTAL failure!!

Bottom Line:
I have replaced the engagement pawls twice on this hub since I purchased it a little over a year and a half ago. Today, while I'm riding the rear hub once again cuts loose and won't engage, although I can hear the pawls purring while freewheeling the 3 miles back to my car. When I get home, I disconnect the cassette body and find that the ring gear that the pawls ride in and engage with, has broken free from the hub shell and is just spinning inside. I bought this wheelset (ABBAH hubs with singletrack rims) because they seemed stout and were 1/4 the cost of my King / Mavic wheelset on my hardtail. Well, I guess you still get what you pay for!! I am hoping I can still contact Sun Ringle and get some kind of satisfaction. With all the hubs I've tried, I have one piece of advice. If you want rugged, and inexpensive, buy Shimano XT's, if you want the best, buy Chris King. Stay the hell away from Ringle!!!

Favorite Trail:   Farmdale