Home | Reviews | Hub | Quando

2.88/5 (24 Reviews)

Quando

Submitted by iso100 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2013

Strengths:    Worked fine for about 30 miles before clicking.

Weaknesses:    Failed after only about 45 miles leaving me with an unridable bike.

Bottom Line:
Ok, so these came on my Airborne Goblin's stock wheels. They worked fine for a while and then I noticed clicking when I started pedaling again after coasting over bumpy terrain. I thought it was another part of the drivetrain... potentially the chain slipping as that's what it felt like.

Turns out it was actually the freehub failing.

I had organized a ride with 4 other friends at a set of trails an hour and a half away from us and this hub failed about 66% the way through the ride. I was able to get it to work on the way back to the car but then after lunch when we went out again it got progressively worse. I got to push my bike back to the car about 2.5 miles. Not fun.

Bike Setup:   Airborne Goblin

Submitted by Paul W. a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2013

Strengths:    This 32H front hub came stock with an Alexrims R450 wheel. Yes, it is steel, and yes it has ball bearings, but it really is a decent hub. I didn't like the crappy grease that they use in it (amber-looking vegetable grease? recycled grease?), so I stripped it and put in Lubrimatic Wheel Bearing grease. This is so easy to do with a ball bearing hub. It now is part of a very reliable spare front wheel.

Weaknesses:    Weight.

Bottom Line:
With good quality grease and good setup on the cones and lockrings, it's a good, fairly aerodynamic hub.

Duration Product Used:   3 years

Purchased At:   City Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 105, Novatec

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Technium

Submitted by n2o2fish a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City, Mo. USA

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2011

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    Cheap, not rebuildable

Bottom Line:
I bought these as part of a wheel set last winter. After about 300 miles the hub broke and they are not rebuildable.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   ebay store

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Submitted by maurothebiker a Cross Country Rider from italy,ciociaria's hills,latium

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2010

Strengths:    black,bads, front wheel turn and turn, go very well go with the bike

Weaknesses:    rear hub go slow,stiff;perhaps I am 200 lb ? First mechanic cyclist control after 160 mi only.Fortunately my mechanic is a woman.

Bottom Line:
New brand name for me, not"High performance hub" as indicated, expecially the rear hub,in the average I believe,but we will talk in a few years and few thousands mi

Favorite Trail:   ciociaria's hills ,sulfury water,secret spot for me and a fortunate few friendst spot

Purchased At:   dealer atala San Fel

Similar Products Used:   Liqiya(never trouble)

Bike Setup:   Atala Replay 2009 (ergal)is a hard tail,shimano tourney,zoom,active,wheel anticorodal,Tyre cst,xeromo,kmc chain, pedals,alhonga v brake

Submitted by Russ a Cross Country Rider from Bend, Oregon

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2010

Strengths:    price, freewheel design is pretty much bullet proof.

Weaknesses:    lowend hub, like any cone/ball design need to be adjusted correctly for longevity, but hey, my new Shimano is the same design. Freewheel design doesn't shift as nice as my freehub/cassette.

Bottom Line:
Hey these are cheap hubs; you get what you pay for. I got these for free; so I've used them for the last year. For me they've been OK. I serviced them right off the bat. The grease that was in them was more like tar than grease, and they needed adjustment. Like any cone/ball hub, proper adjustment is critical for longevity. Because they're freewheel they've kind of been like a tank. I've since switched over to shimano xt hubs, but only because I wanted freehubs instead of freewheels. I might be sorry due to all the poor reviews I've read on the Shimano freehub failures. Bottom line is, I'm an older 200 lb. rider. I don't do jumps for jumps, unless they're on my track. However, I did'nt baby the hubs either. These are OK, not great, not horrible. Would I trust them rocketing on a DH run, or white knuckle drops? Probably not.

Favorite Trail:   Phils

Purchased At:   0

Similar Products Used:   shimano xt, deore

Bike Setup:   DS RS, Avid code5, Sram drivetrain, Shimano XT with sun ryno

Submitted by Drakken_11 a Weekend Warrior from Bristol

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2009

Strengths:    Burability,Strength,and Dependability

Weaknesses:    Not many places sell them.

Bottom Line:
These came stock on my bike and I loved them. I read some of the other reviews and I don't seem to understand why so many people hated them. I have had these since 2000 and have had no problems from them. I have never even greased them and the spin w/ ease. I have had to have my spokes trued once. I rode these very hard and they stood up to it all. I'm in the process of a rebuild of a Giant Rincon, and I plan on putting them on it.
I know that there are better hubs out there, but for stock these are awesome. I guess some of the other reviewers got some that were made at the end of the day on a Friday. That Sux.
If you don't have the 80 Bones for a Shimano XT hub and your a beginning rider, Give them a Shot! Hope yours are as faitful as mine are.

Favorite Trail:   Warriors Path

Purchased At:   Stock

Bike Setup:   Mongoose XR-500

Submitted by mtnbiker72 a Weekend Warrior from Republic of Cascadia

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2009

Strengths:    Durable, Decent Seals, Fairly Smooth, Reliable

Weaknesses:    Weight, FH is a bit noisy

Bottom Line:
When I got these stock, I figured they'd last one winter and be toast. They are ball bearing and cone, and the cones were not polished like Shimano so they were a little rough at first. After riding a few months, I took them apart and repacked the bearings with Phil Wood grease. To my surprise, they were quite smooth and went all winter with zero problems. I was going to repack again before this winter but they are now buttery smooth (the races must be polished now from the bearings). Having Shimano hubs for many years, these hubs compare to the Deore level parts (better seals than the M475 but not quite as smooth initially as the M525).

For what they are, they appear to be a quality hub and have not let me down.

Favorite Trail:   Stella

Purchased At:   Stock Wheelset

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore M475, M525, XT M756, Ritchey Pro Disc

Bike Setup:   29er

Submitted by nonverbal a Cross Country Rider from Taiwan

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2009

Strengths:    I'm from Taiwan so it's easy to get these hubsin the local stores.The trail I ride often combine by several trail,because ride in trail is not favored here(compared to Roadbike).I often ride 20km length trail for weekend recreation(to me,it's better than watch TV).I find Quando hub is improving-you can see this from daily use(although I don't ride offroad everyday).The product I use is trong enough for me(I weigh about 60kg),for riding on sand/dirt/rocks/even for practicing bunny hup,and never have any problem.I also do some race,and in the racing process,I can rely on these hubs...they never disappoint me.

Weaknesses:    a bit pricey.But caompared to those Shimano stuff,they're quite strong.

Bottom Line:
I think anybody should try these hubs.They're not expensive compared to Shimano XT,but A LOT stronger.Kun Teng Hubs are effecient for daily use,and easy to service.They're not afraid of water and dirt,attributed to the design.
superior!

Favorite Trail:   Something with huge rocks

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR(975)
Chris King Classic hubs(they're superior,but pricey)
Hope Pro2(not easy to get in Taiwan)
DT 240s(soso for such price)

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC with SRAM X-9 groupo

Submitted by Tim Mason a Downhiller from Feltdrop, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2007

Strengths:    Tough! I've done 30 foot drop ins with these! Changed wheels and thrashed the shimano xt hubs that came on them. Ended up replacing them with my old Quando's and no problems since. Freewheel easy and super strong! A+

Weaknesses:    None so far!

Bottom Line:
These hubs rock and are like a rock. Buy em if you can! I've used them and abused them and they come back for more. They roll free and I haven't had to do any maintenance to them what so ever. Im just sorry that I wasted money on the new hub and wheel set. I should have just bought the rims and used my Quando hubs to start with. I hope this is helpful to you. They are a good product at a good price!

Favorite Trail:   Arches

Purchased At:   Stock with bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deora xt and Shimano Altus

Bike Setup:   Lake BLX06

Submitted by jim litwiller a Weekend Warrior from fort wayne, in, usa

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2007

Strengths:    look good. Slammed many a curb with these hubs and they have taken it all.... Yet try not to intentionally abuse product because I NEED MY BIKE for every day transport...

Weaknesses:    haven't seen any yet, but have not subjected to major abuse,

Bottom Line:
They work great for me. It seems some people slam a product based upon too little knowledge. Also the wrong set up to begin with can trash a good product....

Favorite Trail:   the street

Similar Products Used:   accel hp rims

Bike Setup:   urban curb killer

Submitted by perryd a Downhiller from NZ

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2007

Strengths:    no maintenance after two years and still no play - free wheeling is still great

Weaknesses:    none found so far

Bottom Line:
- TX Quando - front and read hubs

I haven't add an issue so far and I haven't had them serviced yet. Maybe lucky, but these have worked out quite well. If they are slow like mentioned then I'm all the fitter for it.

I have found it pretty hard to find maintenance guides on this product to give them there first service.

Currently use for downhil jumps

Purchased At:   stock with bike

Similar Products Used:   no name worth mentioning

Bike Setup:   Keewee Stealth 05

Submitted by greg ryan a Racer from sydney

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2006

Strengths:    sold about 50 of these hubs, theyre very light, the freewheel take up is instantaneous,spin beautifully,finish is very nice,easy to work on,cost effective,well done quando

Weaknesses:    had one !! where the little steel 'bit' that presses on to end cap split..fixed with araldite.otherwise flawless

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is : people should be a little specific when bagging a product. even some of the big names do low end models yeah ? some other people should learn how to fix stuff.sounds to me like some bike mechs. in other countries dont know sh-- either. u can buy non sealed hubs and spend 60-100 bucks a year getting them serviced..or you can mortgage your house and buy Dt. all the quando hubs ive sold ( ive only sold high end ones) have been perfect except the one i mentioned...great buying !!

Purchased At:   taiwan

Similar Products Used:   every product under the sun...every brand !! some hubs get water in..some are way too expens. quando for me has met all demands very well

Bike Setup:   both cross country and road/ crit racing...and training..high end bikes

Submitted by William Coffman a Cross Country Rider from Bremerton, Wa., USA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2005

Strengths:    Decent quality construction and performance

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
The Quando hubs came stock on my CLWB recumbent made by Cycle Genius. So far, the hubs have performed flawlessly as I daily commute 12 roundtrip miles on my 'bent! Soon, I will switch to 20 inch Aerospoke composite wheels, however!

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   The Hostel Shoppe

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore hubs on a Burley Limbo recumbent

Bike Setup:   Cycle Genius STX recumbent with SRAM 5.0 and fat Diamondback and Mongoose Kenda BMX tires.

Submitted by Archie Brown a Racer from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2005

Strengths:    Cheap. Makes me say "You get what you pay for"

Weaknesses:    Very slow spinning. Wont freewheel at all with the skewers done up. Unserviceable, even good bike shop mechanics took a look and gave my bike back to me.

Bottom Line:
Embarrassing.
These hubs are slow it takes an extra 25% effort to get up to race speed. Having these hubs laced to your rims is like riding with your brakes on.
I got off my bike after tacoing my rear wheel on a recent trail ride, rode a lap on my friend's Scott Genius, and the difference between the quality hubs he had and the shizen that I was riding almost made me cry.

I took the hubs back to the store I bought them from to get them serviced. They couldnt make them any better and instead of a reasonable amount of freespin I got a strange sense that the 'quality wheelset' I was sold was actually revolving around a set of dud hubs.
In the end I had to loosen the skewers to the extent that halfway through a turn my rear wheel took off down the road in the opposite direction to me.

The only people I would recommend these hubs to are those guys who are faster, fitter and much better riders than me.
Just so I could beat them - and if they used these hubs and I wasnt, it would be easy.

Sorry Quando, Im not usually so negative, but your hubs aren't worth the effort required to throw them into a fire.