Phil Wood Mtb Front Hub

4.96/5 (23 Reviews)

Phil Wood Front Hub

Submitted by whiskeydave a Cross Country Rider from Bozeman, MT

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2012

Strengths:    Smoothest hubs around, fully & easily rebuildable, great workwork of a hub. Overall very pleased with my purchase, lifetime investment.

Weaknesses:    My main gripe as a single speeder is that if you run the KISS hub that is symmetrical for the strongest wheel you must use a freewheel and there are only 2 options either low grade (acs or shimano) or White Ind ($100) and because of this its a serious weight tax and cost of you want to change gearing. If you use the low grade its just gets gritty in a hurry and then the bike doesnt roll at the Phil Wood level.

Bottom Line:
I love my Phil Wood hubs its so nice to have USA made and just the quality and craftsmanship are unbeatable.

Favorite Trail:   anything melted out

Similar Products Used:   King ISO SS abit lighter(between 1/4lbs and 1/2lbs) less roll quailty but I do like interchangeable cogs for going to different areas

Bike Setup:   69er SS

Submitted by Baldy a Cross Country Rider from Central, NY

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2011

Strengths:    Durability, cradles spoke heads

Weaknesses:    zippity doo dah

Bottom Line:
I built up a pair of front wheels for mine and my wife's bikes about ten years ago. We did some off road loaded touring, lots of commuting, and plenty of day rides in all kinds of weather, more often than not loaded with some combination of gear, groceries and tools. There have been no broken spokes, the wheels have never needed truing, and the hubs are still perfect. Cycling nirvana! (For those interested in the wheels, I used Sun Rhyno Lite rims, and 36 double butted DT Swiss spokes in addition to the Phil Wood hubs.) I'd recommend these hubs to anyone who values durability highly - i.e. touring, commuting, trail riding.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Similar Products Used:   LX

Bike Setup:   MTB frame setup for all purpose road (utility/commuting) and dirt riding

Submitted by Richard a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2007

Strengths:    Design

Bottom Line:
Designed and executed with quality materials and craft. With 18 years and >10,000 mi the hub is as new. I ma convinced there is no other product available on the market with this level of craftsmanship.

Purchased At:   Livermore Schwinn

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Suntour, Campagnolo

Bike Setup:   23 pound Cannondale V (pepperoni fork)- indestructable trail bike

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Saint Louis, Missouri USA

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2006

Strengths:    American made, Highest quality.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Easily and by far the best hubs for bicycles, period. They roll waaaaaay better than Chris Kings and look just as good. Never a problem and are way simpler to work on than CK's, if they ever need it. The Phil Wood grease is excellent also. No better out there!

Favorite Trail:   Berryman

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Chris King, etc...

Submitted by Rider Strider a Cross Country Rider from Rockville

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2006

Strengths:    Super Smooth rolling hub, like butter baby.

Weaknesses:    None. Expensive new, but I scored a lightly used wheel cheap on eBay

Bottom Line:
Hugi hubs are great, but after I tacoed the front wheel, I bought a Phil Wood front wheel as a spare replacement while the original hugi hub was being rebuilt. The Phil Wood is noticeably smoother -- so even with the hugi hand laced to a new rim, I still ride the used Phil wood. No hype here -- this is true red, white and blue quality.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Many: XT, DT Hugi, Campy record, Mavic

Submitted by Ronn Houtz a Weekend Warrior from Wichita, KS USA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2006

Strengths:    Reliable, smooth, beautiful

Bottom Line:
Started using for road racing 1973, now mostly touring and street biking. Have used the same set trouble free for 33 years

Purchased At:   Brick's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Campy, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Fiji Racer

Submitted by Jerry from N.AZ.

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2005

Strengths:    Smoothness, longevity, super customer service (needed for special request, not for repair -- thanks Brent!) flanges make for a nice build.

Weaknesses:    absolutely none

Bottom Line:
Of course you can spend a few more bucks and get a king hub -- but why? Phil's will last you forever, spin as well as or better than anything else, support a smaller company doing excellent work, and won't ever wear out.

Favorite Trail:   Wagon wheel

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   numerous.

Bike Setup:   steel

Submitted by Carlos a Cross Country Rider from Lakewood, CO USA

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2004

Strengths:    They’re indestructible, maintenance free, good fit and finish and backed by great product support.

Weaknesses:    They’re somewhat heavier then similar products, but who cares?

Bottom Line:
IBIS Cousin It (tandem), XT shifters, XTR derailleurs, LX cranks, 11-34 cassette, White Brothers TM 1.0, Hope Mono6ti (205mm rotors) front and rear and Phil Wood Disk/Mavic EX 729 wheels with a Continental Vertical Pro Tection2.3 on the front and a Continental Survival Pro Tection 2.3 on the rear

Favorite Trail:   White Rim

Similar Products Used:   This is the only brand I have used on my tandems. I started with Phil Wood on the road tandem (11 years problem free). This is the second set on the mountain tandem; the first set were not disk hubs. Those hubs went through five years of some pretty rough use, two set of rims and their still in near perfect condition. I’m staying with a brand that has really worked well for me!

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Provo UT

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2004

Strengths:    Toughest, stongest, longest lasting hubs on the planet. PERIOD. These hubs are built to last a lifetime. Silky smooth bearings. Just hold one in your hand and thats all it takes.

Weaknesses:    Your kidding right? Cost is not a weakness, its called "get what you pay for" Ok, so theyre a little on the heavy side but thats one of the things about them, you know theyre bullet-proof

Bottom Line:
These hubs are by far the greatest built and best looking hubs sold anywhere, If you are considering using phil hubs, stop thinking about it and get them. If you dont have the money, SAVE UP! Cant beat the service by the guys at Phil either. I will never buy any other hub.

Favorite Trail:   lions back moab

Purchased At:   direct from phil wood

Similar Products Used:   xt, xtr, and a few other shimano disposable hubs

Bike Setup:   Salsa Cross bike, dura ace, king hs, avid mech discs,

Submitted by Ibis Breezer a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, Republic of Texas

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2004

Strengths:    Phil Wood hubs are a thing of great beauty. The run silent and are completely maintenance free and are so darn good looking and sweet to ride I am motivated to take the commuter bike much more often than to drive to work.

Weaknesses:    Some would call them heavy, and they are pricey and hard to find. Most shops don't deal in enough Phil stuff to keep it in stock so you will have to special order most of the time.

Bottom Line:
All of the praise people bestow on Phil Wood hubs is completely deserved, as far as I can tell. I scored a pair of Phil tandem hubs for my commuter from the LBS for their cost ($277) because someone ordered them and then changed their mind after they arrived. Must have been cranial flatulence to leave these things for something else. The front came with bolt-on axle, perfect for a bike with racks. I had the rear cassette hub sent back to San Hose for mods to a bolt-on axle and it was back in a week, all polished and ready to lace. I have built a dozen wheels this past winter, three pairs with Phils, and for whatever reason they are the easiest to build up and true. Plus they are just gorgeous. Yeah, they weigh more than a lot of stuff on the market but I don't care, once the bike is loaded and I am on it the total difference it probably on the order of 0.1% of total tonnage. Who cares, I ride along on something way to fine for most of you wieners. Hahahaha. Work to eat, eat to live, live to ride, ride to work!

Favorite Trail:   The next one I ride

Similar Products Used:   I have a bunch of bikes with different wheels. I have three pairs of Phil-based wheels, some Shimano XTs, American Classics, and of course Chris Kings.

Bike Setup:   M1A2 Main Battle Bike. Commuter terrorist machine with full racks, coated with reflecto tape and packing a set of lights that will melt oncoming automobiles. Also a 29" singlespeed with Phils, and an old rigid mountain bike with Phils.

Submitted by John from North Texas USA

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2003

Strengths:    Strong, smooth and maintenance free! Looks great after 3 years of use in rain, sleet, snow and mud. Works off road, on road and handled commuting chores without a complaint. Slap it on and ride with no worries. When a person dogs a Phil hub, lets me know who to ignore.

Weaknesses:    If using a suspension fork, order it with the solid axle.

Bottom Line:
Buy it, lace it up to a strong rim and forget about it. No maintenance, no screwing around with bearings or lube... I use it on the front wheel of a recumbent (20" wheel) the faster spin speeds of the 20" are a little harder on bearings so I went for the most durable and maintenance-free hub out there. 3 years later, I still have not gotten around to a Phil rear hub...but I will when the 105 dies. Best $90 I ever spent on a bicycle part.

Purchased At:   90

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore LX, 105's, SRAM, Sachs and others

Bike Setup:   Fully suspended recumbent with XT/Ultegra/105/Avid setup. I know I am not supposed to off-road a recumbent...but that is were the full suspension comes in.

Submitted by Bob dole a Downhiller from Ft.Bragg

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2002

Strengths:    These hubs are by far the finest hubs built. A little bit heaver then some but whats weight anyways? its like taking a leak while you ride. Phil's drop kick any other hub out there, givem' a look and tell them "beatch please"

Bottom Line:
For the best SS hubs buy a set of phil's, they will be there for your kids to ride.

Submitted by Crazy Bit$% a Weekend Warrior from Upstate NY

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2001

Strengths:    The finest,longest-lastin',burliest,overdesigned,most beautiful hubs in existence.KICK ASS!!!

Weaknesses:    None,'cept for the price.These are damn nice hubs.Chris King?Who's that?

Bottom Line:
I bought my Surly 1x1 last year with a Phil Wood Kiss-off rear hub and an XT up front,both laced to 36-hole Sun Rhyno Lites.I love the Phil.It was SOOO stiff and so easy to build a wheel off of,I wonder why more designers don't design their hubs like this.

After the shi#tily-sealed XT front hub died after 8 months,I saved up some dough and bought myself a FSA front hub,and rebuilt my Sun around it.

Fast-forward 3 months.I have beaten the living sh%t out of these hubs.Mud,rain,stair drops,boulders,just absolutely heinous abuse,day after day.My rims have been through so much hell.The Suns are on their last legs.

As for the Phils..
I haven't needed to take them apart.NOT ONCE.
I think these hubs will outlive me long after I'm dead and buried.

Have you seen a Shimano hub last 10 years straight?I didn't think so!

Get these hubs,both front and rear.They're great stuff.Even if the price is high,they are SO,SO worth it..where's that goddamn 6-chili option?!

Purchased At:   Phil Wood direct