Phil Wood FSC Rear Cassette Hub

4.71/5 (21 Reviews)

Phil Wood FSC Rear Cassette

Submitted by linguinee

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2014

Strengths:    Durability,simplicity of design, ease of service, stainless steel construction.

Weaknesses:    Weight, cost.

Bottom Line:
Absolutely bulletproof. My Phil, bought in 2003, was originally a road hub on which I rode a couple (multi-thousand km) tours. It was then respaced to 135 mm and laced to various mtb rims where it underwent daily 50KM commutes and, currrently, serves on an old steel hardtail and suffers all the abuse I can dish out.

Every a year or so I swap out the bearings (bought on ebay in mutliple sets) where required, lube the pawls, and forget about it. It really is that simple.

Yes, the hub is heavy and expensive but durability has both a cost and a price. The PW hub has been laced to several rims and I expect it’ll see several more before it gives up the ghost—if it ever does.

Submitted by dupontrider a Downhiller from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2009

Strengths:    Easy to disassemble, pretty, lifetime warranty (thank god)

Weaknesses:    will predictably wear out around 2000-3000 miles (even more frequent periods experienced by me)

Bottom Line:
I ride three times a week throughout the year. I do this almost without exception. If there is a variance, it is an additional ride during the week. I estimate I ride about 2000 single track trail miles per year. For almost all of these rides, my riding partner is there too.

Each of our bikes is almost identical. (It really helps repairs, maintenance and stocking our spare parts.)

Our Turner RFXs are now three years old 9-2009 and they have been meticulously maintained but ridden pretty hard. They go through a drive trains (chain rings, cassette and chain) around the 500 mile mark. All other components have lasted quite well.

The original rear wheels on both bikes quit eventually and I picked the Phil Wood FSC 32 hole disk compatible hub. I bought mine on November 2007. Within SIX MONTHS in May of 2008, my hub locked up. The pawls were damaged and the ratchet in the hub body was destroyed. It went back (AFTER I HAD TO TEAR MY WHEEL APART) and was dutifully replaced or repaired by Phil Wood and returned. I then had to REBUILD my wheel. In October 2008, the same thing happened. Now, November 2009, it has happened a THIRD time. That means the hub sustained fatal breakdown at 6 months, 12 months and 24 months intervals. I will acknowledge that Phil Wood has honored the warranty but it's a real pain to dismantle a wheel and ship it and be without it for 2-3 weeks. They also offered to tear the wheel down and rebuild it the second time!

I mentioned the person I ride with... His original hub lasted a few months longer but eventually he bought the same model Phil Wood hub I did. A few days ago, his hub experienced the same issue and I loaned him my spare rear wheel for our ride last Saturday. This, coincidentally, was the very ride my hub locked up for the third time.

So you have two guys with properly maintained bikes, an entire SPARE WHEEL at their disposal running Phil Wood hubs on both bikes... You'd think these two riders would never have a hub problem that would take them out of service, right? That's what I thought too. But we're now down one wheel and have TWO Phil Wood hubs going back for repair at the same time!

At least they have the warranty and the honor it. But I seriously question whether I should run "disposable" hubs instead of trying to find a good one. I could have bought FOUR disposable hubs (hell, 4 disposable rear wheels!) for what I paid for my hub. I guess if I keep it 4 years, the "investment" will begin to pay off...

Sad thing is, the OEM hub that came with BOTH bikes outlasted the Phil Wood hubs on BOTH bikes.

Favorite Trail:   the one going downhill

Purchased At:   LBS in Asheville

Similar Products Used:   Have not owned similar products. Am still looking for a good rear hub for 9 speed disk use

Bike Setup:   Turner RFX, Fox 36 Float R fork, Fox DHX 5.0 Pushed, SRAM X.9 Drive train and shifters, Race Face Atlas Crank, Formula K-24 Disk, Kenda Nevagal, Gravity Dropper seatpost, MonkeyLite Bar.

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Massachusetts USA

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, reliable, never let you down

Bottom Line:
I've run the Phil Wood hubs on my tandem for close to 8 years.
20,000+ miles of just about daily off road riding, distance touring and utilitarian cycling.
Laced to 36 hole Mavic Ceramic D-521 these wheels have taken a real pounding more so than ever could be experienced on a single bike by a solo rider.

They have run flawlessly, smoothly and with simple (two allen wrenches) maintenance will last a life time.

Write them up in your will of the kids will be fighting over them.

Purchased At:   Peter White

Similar Products Used:   Chris King, Hadley, old Shimano XT and POS Nuke Proof

Bike Setup:   Mountain Bike tandem*

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Saint Louis, Missouri USA

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2006

Strengths:    American made highest quality and exclusitivity!

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Easily and by far the best hubs for bicycles, period. They roll waaaaaay better than Chris Kings and look just as good. No drag on the bearings like CK's and not as loud on the freehub! Never a problem and are way simpler to work on than CK's, if they ever need it. The Phil Wood grease is excellent also. The rear freehub, although has needed no work, is the EASIEST to disassemble out of any hub in the world! Just two 5mm wrenches and 30 seconds...no special tools like CK's... No better out there!

Favorite Trail:   Berryman

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Chris King, etc...

Submitted by Filo Beto a Weekend Warrior from Concord, CA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2006

Strengths:    Roll forever...very smooth. Bullet-proof. These things really don't need much maintenance, and when they do it's very straightforward...no special tools, and no manual needed. Look great. Made in America.

Weaknesses:    I have found no weaknesses that I was not aware of before I bought. No, they are not the lightest hubs on the planet, but there's a heavy price to pay for light weight...usually that price is durability.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up review to the one I posted last year. I've now been riding these hubs for about a year and a half and have experienced zero problems. I can't believe these hubs are so uncommon! I serviced the rear hub myself once just to do it...didn't sound like it needed it. Turned out it didn't. It was very easy to service and I only needed an allen wrench. Anyway...without belaboring the issue too much, I have only good things to say about Phil hubs. They are pricey I suppose, but worth it in the end. I actually decided to try wheel building when I bought these. I printed out instructions from the awesome Mr. Sheldon Brown and went to work (I knew how to true wheels already.) They built up strong and true. Due to my novice ability I did tighten the spokes to the point of rounding a couple of the brass nipples(!) but it didn't phase the Phil hubs. I haven't needed to touch a spoke wrench at all...no break-in tightening, no re-truing at all. And I ride fairly difficult terrain (Mr. Toads in Tahoe, the Braille Trail, Saw Pit, Dead Campers, Magic Carpet, Rockville...etc.) These hubs allow a super stiff build that will last and last.

Favorite Trail:   saw pit

Purchased At:   Lickbike.com

Similar Products Used:   Old bmx phils, suntour, shimano...lots of shimano, campagnolo, paul,

Bike Setup:   5 spot, xtr triggers, derailleurs, xt cranks and cassette, dura ace chain, 959s, thomson post and 31.8 stem, answer carbon bar, hayes mag, talas, rp3, salsa skewars, king h/s, lock-ons, terry ti-fly, vertical pros with stans (no flats in 18 months!), phils on 819s.

Submitted by Bob Dole from Phx Az

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2005

Strengths:    zero maintance

Bottom Line:
If you want to buy a hub set that's going to last a life time buy phil's.

Bike Setup:   had wheels on a tandem, xc bike, raced DH for 2 years, using them for jumping, still going strong

Submitted by yogi a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2005

Strengths:    yep there great

Weaknesses:    Not CAMPAG COMPATABILITY at all

Bottom Line:
I was gonna buy some but no campy compatability.

I know there strong and purdy, slightly heavy but worth it.

hmmm wonder if i can set em up on my MTB... :oP

the low chillies is beacuse of no campy compatability.. feel free to correct me if im wrong

Favorite Trail:   the one home when its late

Similar Products Used:   Campag , shimano fishing

Bike Setup:   centaur on steel

Submitted by Filo Beto a Weekend Warrior from Concord, CA

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2005

Strengths:    (This review is for the disc version.) Flanges are canted toward rim and nice and thick, bearings roll extremely smooth, very durable.

Weaknesses:    None that I have experienced. (The weight is welcome because it means they're strong.)

Bottom Line:
Anyone that thinks these are too heavy or too expensive needs to stay in Retard Village, along with the guy who is pissed that they wore out after 10,000 miles of riding in the salt water with zero maintenance. They are the best hubs made. They can be built up with very high spoke tension for extremely strong wheels without fear of stretching the hub shells like those other fancy colored hubs....stick to head sets man. But then again, people buy those for the "neat" sound and light weight.

Thanks Phil for making a great product and not succumbing to all of the marketing B.S. like most companies do. By the way, Lick Bike was very helpful and had the best price I could find...and I live a lot closer to Phil Wood they do.

Favorite Trail:   the steep one with all the rocks, roots, and ruts

Purchased At:   Lick Bike

Similar Products Used:   Deore, Deore XT, STX, Paul, old Phils, Specialized Stout, Kona, Dura Ace...etc. But really nothing compares to Phil.

Bike Setup:   Enduro...Thomson, XT, XTR, Hayes, Mavic tubeless....blah blah. Standard stuff really. I wish I had these on all my bikes.

Submitted by Scott Mitchell from Australia

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2005

Strengths:    These hubs are very very strong and simple in there design. Easy to service in the feild or at home, are built to last.. need one say anymore!

Weaknesses:    I'll only ever need to by one set of hubs every 10 years or so...

Bottom Line:
My bike is my only means of transport, both for work and play. I've put 17 000 km of which 10 500 km were done over some nasty roads in Ireland and the UK, while transporting 30 kg in gear.
All this talk of seals, bearings,axles...... just talk...
Some may complain about weight, others that there are no seals, bearing failure, difficulty in performing simple maintenance.. I have heard many stories about hubs in my life. Pretty simple you get what you pay for, if you can't look after it you don't deserve it. they work. If you are looking to explore the world or just the road to and from work try these hubs as they will let you do this in confidence..

Favorite Trail:   the open road ....they all go somewhere

Purchased At:   bought via Philwoods

Similar Products Used:   XT, Hugi 240, Hugi FR, Suntour XC9000, campag

Bike Setup:   Chas Roberts Roughstuff frame , Ta cranks,Chris Bell rings,Magura HS33 brake set, USE bars, Cane Creek bar ends, Chris King headset,Tubus racks, Brooks TI saddle... A go anywhere bike

Submitted by Carlos a Cross Country Rider from Lakewood, CO USA

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2004

Strengths:    They’re indestructible, maintenance free, good fit and finish and backed by great product support.

Weaknesses:    They’re somewhat heavier then similar products, but who cares?

Bottom Line:
I can’t imagine these hubs ever wearing out or breaking. Even if they did every part in them is replaceable.

Phil’s support has always been there when I have a question and worked with me from design to finish on this project. There was a clearance issue in the rotor/fork/hub interface when I went to assemble the front end. This was due to the White Brothers fork having tight clearances and the rotor on the Hope Mono6ti using a fatter aluminum arm assembly. Not Phil’s fault but they made a couple of slightly modified end cap to resolve the issue. Wow…

Favorite Trail:   Peaks Trail

Similar Products Used:   This is the only brand I have used on my tandems. I started with Phil Wood on the road tandem (11 years problem free). This is the second set on the mountain tandem; the first set were not disk hubs. Those hubs went through five years of some pretty rough use, two set of rims and their still in near perfect condition. I’m staying with a brand that has really worked well for me!

Bike Setup:   IBIS Cousin It (tandem), XT shifters, XTR derailleurs, LX cranks, 11-34 cassette, White Brothers TM 1.0, Hope Mono6ti (205mm rotors) front and rear and Phil Wood Disk/Mavic EX 729 wheels with aContinental Vertical Pro Tection2.3 on the front and a Continental Survival Pro Tection 2.3 on the rear

Submitted by Ibis Breezer a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, Republic of Texas

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2004

Strengths:    Very pretty to look at, totally maintenance free, strong, reliable, a pleasure to own and ride.

Weaknesses:    The are expensive and hard to find, and they weigh more than the others on the market if you care about that crap.

Bottom Line:
There is no finer bicycle hub on the market and few other pieces of bike paraphernalia that I would rather own. The are quiet, strong, and beautiful to look at. Some dork changed his mind at the LBS after these came in on a special order and then they laid on the shelf for a couple of years until I came along. I got the pair for $277, much less than the cost of just the cassette rear hub if ordered separately. I built them up with some HD 36h rims and stainless spokes and then bashed them and wheelie dropped them repeatedly with a heavily loaded bike. No worries mate, they'll probably out live me. Having these things under me makes it just that much easier to climb on the commuter every day and leave the car at home. WORK TO EAT, EAT TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE, RIDE TO WORK!!!

Favorite Trail:   The next one I ride

Purchased At:   LBD

Similar Products Used:   American Classics, Chris Kings, Shimanos, Campagnolos

Bike Setup:   M1A2 Main Battle Bike. 1990 Schwinn Cimarron conversion to commuter terrorist attack vehicle. Full racks and panniers, Phil hubs with 36h Mavic 221 rims, and a dangerously bright set of lights.

Submitted by Mathijs Ransijn a Cross Country Rider from Utrecht, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2003

Strengths:    We ride a tandem. And not only are tandems harder on parts than normal bike, they also need special parts. Cranks and hubs are the most important.
Phil's hubs have four definite strong points:
1. They are available in any configuration you want; 32,36, 40, 48 spokes. 130, 135, 140 145, 160 mm. With Arai, diskbrake or no brake. So you can build the wheel you want.
2. They are strong. We've used them on dirtroads and single tracks everywhere in Spain. Fully-loaded, with 5 panniers and a Bob. No problem.
3. They are easily servicable
4. They are beautiful.
5. They get Phil's unbelievable service & support. Arai's are bearing killers (are diskbrakes as worse?). On long descents the brake heats up. Than the hub heats up, which is bad for the grease, which is bad for the bearing. So after 5 years I had to ship the rear hub back to Phil and got an almost completely new hub returned, for a fraction of the costs. These guys know what they make, love what they do and really help!

Weaknesses:    The ratchet mechanism does not like sticky grease, but an oil/grease mixture to keep it clicking. It needs some of it every now and then.

Bottom Line:
They are strong; available in any configuration you want; easily servicable. And as a bonus...you get Phil's service and support!

Favorite Trail:   Spain

Purchased At:   Phil's website

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT-hubs (but they are definitely not similar).

Bike Setup:   Ibis Cousin IT tandem
Tandem-specific parts:
Wheels: Phil (36sp-145mm-Arai-9sp) - Mavic 521 - DT Comp
Cranks: Shimano tandem cranks
Tyres: Michelin Wildgripper Rock (the ultimate tandem touring tire)
Ranks: Vittorio (even nicer than Tubus!)

Submitted by Nick a Weekend Warrior from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2003

Strengths:    Strength, smoothness and lets not forget the looks and reliability

Weaknesses:    NADA

Bottom Line:
Awesome Hub, been using it for my UNO for nearly four years, no drama at all. Few weeks ago I noticed that the thrads on the inside where you bolt it onto the drop outs were worn, so I sent it back to PW to be fixed and service. Turnaround time was less than two weeks, and the guys at PW (Brent) were brilliant. Responded quickly via e-mail, did the work, polished it up so it looks like new... great stuff... Thanks PW.. the best SS hub...

Purchased At:   Two Wheel Action, Singapore

Similar Products Used:   Chrs King, XTR, DT

Bike Setup:   Moots YBB UNO, MARS fork, Hayes front, Magura Hydraulic Rim on rear..

Submitted by Crazy Bit#$ a Weekend Warrior from NY

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2001

Strengths:    -Phil stands behind his product!!I'd like to see more of this at Shimano(although I haven't had any problems with their hubs yet)
-FRICKIN' BEAUTIFUL!!
-Great,constistent engagement
-Rolls real smooth
-Lasts a REAL LOOOOONG TIME

Weaknesses:    -Pricey($130 for a hub..ouch)

Bottom Line:
I actually own the Phil Wood single-speed rear hub.This thing is awesome.I have thrashed on this hub pretty much all winter and it's still goin' strong.I know a friend who still uses 10-YEAR-OLD Phils on his touring bike.

Yep,they may not be as light as Kings,but they will last you a DAMN long time(they better for the cost--it costs almost 220 clams for the complete hubset,that's a lot for frickin' hubs).So far I'm impressed.

Purchased At:   The internet

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX,XT,Specialized Stout

Bike Setup:   Surly 1x1 with some good sh$t

Submitted by TT a Racer from USA

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2001

Strengths:    Optimal flange placement. Durable, high quality cartridge bearings. No tools required to disassemble. TOP NOTCH support, no questions asked.

I use this for a racing tandem and a high end ultra distance racing bike. The tandem hub obviously gets alot of stress and in 5,000 miles the only wear I see is some scoring on the cassette body...not a real problem. Keeping a good barrier of phil grease in the hub shell is key to preventing intrusion of crude.

On the racing bike, I am testing an aluminum rear axel which brings the weight down to a competitive range with other hubs in this caliber (Chris King, Hope etc). Servicing the pawls takes less time than it does to remove the cassette.

Phil puts a really nice finish on the hubs and the look is so damn nice it should be in MOMA. But forget it! The hubs are made to be ridden hard. Do it.

Weaknesses:    Zip. Nada. None. Since I mentioned the cassette scoring, than I gotta ask if Phil could up the hardness of the metal here. Only the harshest riders will actually see nary a scratch here...but still, if you want a perfect product than you need good honest reviews, right?

If I had one wish, it would be for Phil to add a wiper seal to the outter most section of the hub to prevent water intrusion. This is not a criticism, infact the mod. would cost them a bundle in tooling alone, however it will make the lube last even longer during my worst nightmare races.

Bottom Line:
Shimano AND Campy have failed to optimize flange placement for 9 spd. systems. High Octane riders need stiff wheels that are reliable for at least one season of abuse. Phils are one of the few who do a superior job in this regard.

The hub shell and flanges are over engineered to the point where a failure is almost unheard of. Can say that about Campy can you?

The bearings, pawls and other bits are easily replaced, maintained and inspected. That sure is a nice thing when you are out on the road or in the shop.

Phil's support makes me come back...for BB's, Hubs, lube etc. They are fast, technical and surly. All good things for my book! YOU try to get that outta Shumano or Campy hahahahahah Rots o ruk.