Nuke Proof superfly Hub

3.33/5 (12 Reviews)

nuke proof superfly

Submitted by Jeremy a Cross Country Rider from St.Louis MO

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2005

Strengths:    Great looks, Light, Durable

Weaknesses:    Non to speak of

Bottom Line:
The users comlaining about bearings and freehubs need to realize that those parts are not made by Nuke Proof. The Freehub is off the shelf Shimano XT and it will fail, they always do. The bearings are off the shelf as well, same ones used in most cartidge bearing hubs.
So lets review the parts that Nuke Proof actually makes, the hub shell. This is very nicely made. The flanges are smooth and have not tarnished in the 6 years I have owned them. I did have one fail very shortly after I purchased them and the warranty claim was settled ASAP with no further problems to report. I also like the color choices for the center section. Too bad they are out of production.

If you can find a set go for it. Just rember if a bearing or a freehub fail its not the hub.

Favorite Trail:   Council Bluff Lake Trail

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Formula, Suzue

Bike Setup:   Cannondale CAAD3 Hubs laced to Velocity Mountain Goat rims.

Submitted by David Monticelli a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub is worthless

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up from my earlier post.

I had the hub rebuilt again by my mechanic. He did what he could. However, the hub remains very tight. So tight in fact that when I push the bike the pedals move with the hub. Also, it has been popping again. I have called and emailed Nuke Proof numerous times - all to no avail. My mechanic has done the same - to no avial. Stay away from the rear hub. The front hub has been fine. I got a good price on them so I cannot complain but so much.

Favorite Trail:   Douthat, IMBA epic in Staunton

Purchased At:   Goodly's - Richmond

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, Other Nuke Proof (also a disaster)

Bike Setup:   K2 Razorback

Submitted by Trail Boy a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2001

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Freehub goes bad. Makes popping noise. Cannot get through to Nuke Proof.

Bottom Line:
I had these hubs on for about three months and the rear hub began "popping" under heavy acceleration. About six months later the freehub went bad and it to be replaced. I then got a new frame and was putting the wheel on when I noticed that the spokes were not tensioned properly. I had them tensioned and put the wheel back on. The adjustment moved the hub to the proper position. Since then I cannot get the hub to remain "tight". It just stays loose. My mechanic has put spacers into the hub, to no avail. I weight 160lbs and ride hard about 10 times a month with an occasional race. Hardly anything to bang up the hub. I have attempted to call Nuke Proof but cannot get through. These hubs are mated to 14/15 g spokes with Mavic 517's. A nice set up. Too bad it is idle. No problems with the front hub, but who cares when the other half is broken? I cannot complain about the price paid. I hate to say it, even if I get a full replacement I would not encourage anyone to buy these.

Favorite Trail:   douthat

Purchased At:   Goodly's in Richmond

Similar Products Used:   White Industries, Lx.

Bike Setup:   K2 Razorback

Submitted by Big Al a Weekend Warrior from New York City

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2001

Strengths:    light, and they look nice too

Weaknesses:    weak

Bottom Line:
I used this product for about a year on my present bike, and my old specialize stumpjumer. After a couple months the rear hub sounded like it was going to blow up. Everytime i pedaled i feared it would break the sproket. I am about a 150 lbs, so it can't be blamed on that. To be honest no hub should fall apart within a years use. I replaced them with the HOPE bulb hub. These are great. There are a lot of good hubs out there, even from nuke proof, but this is not one of those. Look at SHIMANO, CHRIS KING, and, HOPE. These are companies with products you can trust

Favorite Trail:   city ridin

Purchased At:   sid's bikes

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX/XT/XTR
hope bulb

Bike Setup:   SPOOKY metalhead w/ a Z1 QR20. Profile cranks w/XTR drivechain.

Submitted by Rusty a Cross Country Rider from Asheville, North Carolina

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2001

Strengths:    This hub is bomb proof. I have used these from their introduction and still dont have a problem. Had an issue on the second set a week after purchase. Nuke replaced brgs and brg cups in a few days and NO problems to date!! All I had to do was call customer service and "NO PROBLEM SIR" we will send the parts you need today. I dont think it gets any better than this!!

Weaknesses:    They dont cost a bucket of buks to buy, everybody should be on them

Bottom Line:
Bottom line if you can find a set of these hubs on sale JUMP on them they will not let you down!!

Favorite Trail:   All in Pisgah Forest

Purchased At:   Otis Cycles in Arden NC

Similar Products Used:   Shimano CRAP I have never had a good set of their hubs.

Bike Setup:   Loadstar Team Issue, XTR drivetrain, Nuke hubs with Bontrager mustang rims, Cane Creek seatpost, sella seat, IRC tires.
Urban assalt bike is simular setup with nuke wheels.

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Elkhart

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2001

Strengths:    Light
Easy build
Spins Smooth
Anodized Colors
Custom Drillings

Weaknesses:    Have not encountered any.

Bottom Line:
These were easy to build, have worked nicely. Held up to my 200+ lbs without complaint or flex. I got a deal on 'em so the price was great too! I'm considering another set in the near future for the project bike.

Favorite Trail:   Give me time...

Purchased At:   Pro Form Bike Shop in South Bend IN

Lower level Shimano units

Bike Setup:   Which one?
Dakar with Toys
Specialized Ground Control
or the Specialized Steel framed HT?

Submitted by Lee a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2001

Strengths:    Pretty light, works well

Weaknesses:    looks skinny and not as beefy as some others

Bottom Line:
I haven't had any problems with these hubs in over 2 years of riding. They just keep rolling without any problems. I had these hand built w/14/16 spokes, alloy nips and 517 rims. They're a really light set of wheels, and fairly strong. They've taken all the abuse I've given them with only minimal maintance, and they still work great. I'm very pleased w/them.
4.5 overall 'cause they aren't Cane Creek Wam's! :-)

Favorite Trail:   Trail of Tears

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Shimano, Cane Creek

Bike Setup:   Alum HT w/Bam fork

Submitted by Ralph McNall a Cross Country Rider from Claremont, CA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2001

Strengths:    Roll smooth and haven't given me a problem yet
Quality craftsmanship

Bottom Line:
I don't know what people have talking about because I have nothing but good things to say about these hubs. When I got them I was impressed with the quality and how cleanly every thing was machined. Then I stuck them on my bike and they've been rolling perfect for over a year. I like hubs that you can just forget about and not have to worry about when you're flying down a fire road at 50mph or bouncing around on some rocks. I'm 180 lbs and ride hard and even if I had more money - I wouldn't second guess buying these hubs again.

Favorite Trail:   ALL

Similar Products Used:   shimano crap

Submitted by David Finney a Cross Country Rider from Pottstown, PA

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2000

Strengths:    Seem to hold up well for what I use them for. I bought these already built up on a set of Mavic Open Pro road rims to use on a new cyclocross bike I was building.

Weaknesses:    Anodized blue color

Bottom Line:
Being used for cyclocross and not mountain biking, they don't get the same sort of abuse although I do have a rigid, straight, steel fork up front. I have ridden them for several months over singletrack, fireroads, grass fields and several cyclocross races and have had no problems with them.

I have ridden them in dry conditions, sub-freezing conditions and have had so much mud on the bike that the front tire got stuck in the fork but have not had any of the bearing or seizing problems that I have read in other reviews.

The only complaints I have so far is that the rear hub doesn't fit into the rear dropout cleanly. The hub has a wider profile than shimano hubs and needs a little finese to get it in there. I have put both a Shimano Ultegra and Dura Ace hub in and out of the dropouts without experiencing the same problem.

I bought these hubs as a built wheelset someone built up and were trying to unload. The price was right but for the money, I would probably be just as happy with Shimano because they have never failed me.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   online auction

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   Kona Jake the Snake Cyclocross bike built up with mix of XT, Ultegra and Dura Ace components

Submitted by Dan from Hickory, NC

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2000

Strengths:    light weight
not expensive

Weaknesses:    Bearings and freehub

Bottom Line:
These hubs are crap. I'm a 130 lb. XC racer, I've raced on them for one season and have already replaced the bearings and two freehubs.
I've seen Wall-mart bikes that are better. If you actually ride your bike more than once a month don't buy this garbage.

Bike Setup:   GT xizang, Sid XC, XTR drivetrain

Submitted by Brendan a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2000

Strengths:    Very light, super strong, beter than any shimano hub, esp xtr. Very economical, and best buy for your buck.

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest, about 3-4th lightest in hub sets

Bottom Line:
If you need a good hub for x-country riding, buy this one, best value for any rider.

Favorite Trail:   every one i can ride

Purchased At:   Jenson USA