Nuke Proof Hubs Hub

3.69/5 (127 Reviews)

Nuke Proof Bombshell Hubs

Submitted by Mladek a Cross Country Rider from Prague

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2009

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Unreliable

Bottom Line:
First ride the ratchet started slipping. Almost didn't make it out of the woods.

By far the worst bike component I have even had.

Favorite Trail:   Woods

Purchased At:   Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   mavic

Bike Setup:   Turner 5 spot

Submitted by Brian Ferguson a Cross Country Rider from Auckland New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2008

Strengths:    Look good, very light, cartridge bearings, reliable and durable

Weaknesses:    none as yet

Bottom Line:
I have used these hubs since 1995 - yes 13 years and have not even touched the bearings in the rear hub since i bought them. They are long over due to be changed tho. The cartridge bearings can be changed very quickly and cheaply and then you have a new hub again. I have never had these hubs let me down once and have had people offer to buy them from me. The standard reply is "sorry not for sale- ever"
Great for light weight people like me and don't want to spend all their life on servicing their bikes.

Favorite Trail:   woodhill

Purchased At:   Cambria bike outfitter

Similar Products Used:   shimano, tnt, ringle

Bike Setup:   Carbon team mcm, sid race, nukeproof hubs, all ti bolts, tnt ti bb,kooka levers, precison billet brakes, use carbon post, syntace f99 stem, lp carbon bars, carbon cranks

Submitted by Fleas a Cross Country Rider from Cleveland,OH

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2006

Strengths:    They look soooo coooool! Mine were purple. And they're super light.

Weaknesses:    They break - under pretty mild conditions.

Bottom Line:
I know this is wayyy late, but I have to get my digs in because I couldn't believe that a company could ignore their own product so utterly.

With only X-C riding the front hub flange ripped off - and this hub was laced X-3 (almost enough to put the hub in compression). They would not back up their product. No replacements, no money back.

The rear free hub stripped out of the main body. No amount of JB Weld can fix that. They would not back up their product. No replacements, no money back.
As stated below, any cheapo LX hub will outlast these 10 to 1. They were a waste of $$$. Too bad there is no rating less than 1. Maybe 1 flaming dog turd.

I boycotted Nuke Proof.
There, I feel a little better.

Favorite Trail:   Somewhere in Georgia

Purchased At:   Parma Cycle

Similar Products Used:   These hubs stink.

Bike Setup:   Full rigid Stumpy.

Submitted by Alain Trudeau a Weekend Warrior from Canada, Quebec, Montreal

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight, Durable, look trick :P

Weaknesses:    there light but the bearings die fast...

Bottom Line:
Guess i'm one of the lucky one, i was running 28h NukeProof hubs and killing rims over and over (downhill and hard landins...), then (4 years later)found some 32H nukeproof hubs at my local bike shop :) 100$ for both!!! i paid 250$ us for the 28H if i remember, such a long time ago...

so i slipt some DEEP V rims from (www.velocityusa.com) on the 32h hubs. with my 28h hubs a put some mavic XC 717 rims with some continental grandprix tires :D so these are my road wheels now

just one thing, the original bearing suck, just change them and your there! 40$ upgrade if u ask me...

GREAT HUBS! GO FOR IT!

Favorite Trail:   cross contry

Purchased At:   some store in MTB ACTION MAG

Similar Products Used:   none been running them for over 7 years!!!

Bike Setup:   Velocity rims (deep V), KONA explosive (4.05lbs), LX and XTR mix, Sachs free wheel, Rockshock DH fork, RaceFace crank, Syncros Titanium BB, Syncros titanium crank bols, Ringle Titanium quick releases, Syncros handlebar and stem, look 4X4 pedals.

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Houston, Tx, USA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2003

Strengths:    Sweet looking, Strong, and problem free. I am 200lbs. and have ridden these hubs for over 6 years with no problems at all. I guess I am one of the lucky ones!

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Sweet hubset, I highly recomend.

Favorite Trail:   Cypresswood

Purchased At:   cambria

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   Bridgestone mb-5, full xt, syncros stem and seatpost,

Submitted by GEO a Weekend Warrior from Valpo, Indiana

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2002

Strengths:    No problems.

Weaknesses:    Zero.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding these aluminum/carbon fiber hubs since 95'. I weigh about 185 lbs. and don't "free ride" or jump anything big. My riding is all cross country trails. The bike has always been power washed at car washes when muddy. I've knocked the bearings out once to inspect them and found nothing wrong, so they got some new grease and were reinstalled. For me, they have been totally trouble free for 7 years...

Favorite Trail:   Stuff in Michigan

Similar Products Used:   Sh!m@n* poo.

Bike Setup:   95' Manitou FS frame with all the "best" components from that year...

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Maine, USA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2002

Strengths:    I have the Ti Bombshells which look fantastic and havn't given me any troubles other than the shimano freehub.

Weaknesses:    The shimano freehub went bad, and The little rubber seals in the spacers got eaten, little rust in axle.

Bottom Line:
I do a wide variety of riding from city loading dock drops to freeriding at ski resorts. I havn't had any problems with the hubs other than the freehub went bad after about two years. I have only had the wheelset trued once since they were built which is amazing. High praise for the rims as much as the hubs. I did replace the bearings the same time as the freehub now that I think of it but that was two years of rough treatment. My buddy and I ride alot of trials stuff too and he has the superfly's which have served him well. He shattered a bearing in the rear one but he does alot of big drops between 3-6 feet, so I'd expect it. Over all quite good hubs if you get a good set I guess.

Purchased At:   Xtreme Sports

Similar Products Used:   Shimano STX,LX,XT etc. Magura Louse Disk hubs.

Bike Setup:   Klein Pulse with Xvert, Nuke Proof Ti Bombshells with Sun Rhyno Lites.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2002

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Silly carbon wrap around the barrel. Cheap Chinese bearings. Questionable machining tolerances and build.

Bottom Line:
Throw out the bearings and get a set of NGK (Japanese) bearings to replace the horrific Chinese bearings these came with. Unfortunately, the Japanese bearings will set you back almost what you paid for the front hub and a significant portion of what you paid for the rear. Otherwise, have many sets available to swap. I haven't snapped the flanges off yet like one guy, but can see where the whole thing is coming apart at the seams. Get something that is forged or single piece unless you are really light weight. I have about 200 miles on the NGK bearings, but the whole hub is coming apart. If you are into durability and want to pull off wierd stunts or ride hard and aren't tiny, get some Phil Wood hubs and forget about them. After all, who cares about the weight of the hub? Phil Wood has these bearings.

Similar Products Used:   XTR, King, Phil Wood

Bike Setup:   Does it really matter?

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Oak Bluffs MA.

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2001

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    no quality control

Bottom Line:
In two years I went through 3 front hubs and 4 rear hubs.
Flanges breaking off the Carbon Fiber body. Flanges breaking, Cheap bearings that would come from the Factory dry, all 7 hubs came to me with bone dry bearings. So called pressed in bearings would fall out, lateral play in the hub because the flanges were so poorly milled. When the counter sink holes were drilled in the flanges groves were cut buy the drill dragging across the flanges. Cassette bodies failing.
Nukeproof would keep sending me hubs but would not give me my money back. Just about every 3 months something on the hubs would break. What a nightmare and a lot of excuses. They sent me a case of grease lots of tiny Allen wrenches and a T-shirt that became the joke of the local bike shop, Hey there's Dave and his Nukeproof the hubs suck T-shirt. I have NukeProof hubs in my basement that in all good conscience I can't sell or give away. I haven't broken any in 3 years and expect them to last forever in the bottom of my JUNK BOX!!
I now run Chris King hubs. They have served me flawlessly for 3 years. Not one problem, none.
Stay away from Nuke Junk.

Purchased At:   mail order

Similar Products Used:   Shimono and Chris King

Bike Setup:   Litespeed E-stay

Submitted by matt r a Cross Country Rider from hayward, ca

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2001

Strengths:    lightweight, good looking

Weaknesses:    product support, customer service, any kind of assistance whatsoever

Bottom Line:
These were great hubs, lightweight and nice looking. easily serviced with the cartridge bearings. All was good until the Sea Otter Race in Monterey. My rear hub became loose. I rode out the race ( i had no choice other than to walk 10 miles back to the start line). The rear bearing cup broke that holds the hub to the freehub body...no big deal or so i thought. I have called nukeproof at least 20 times with either no answer or no return call after leaving a message. I paid way too much for these to be treated this way. Its too bad, i would have recommended these to anyone before this incident.

Purchased At:   cambria bikes.com

Similar Products Used:   xt, specialized

Bike Setup:   fsr, xvert super, xt/517

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Elkhart, IN

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2001

Strengths:    Light
No problems
Spins smooth

Weaknesses:    Umm... let me get back to you...

Bottom Line:

These hubs have given me absolutely no reason to complain. After riding these for over a year I went a purchased a pair of Superfly's. No problems there either. They've stood up to the abuse of a 200 lb XC rider without complaint.

With their durablitiy (they've lasted while many a shimano hub has crapped out after only a year...) I'll bump both sides a flaming thingy.

Favorite Trail:   Still looking, but Warsaw or Ft. Custer are close

Purchased At:   Bicycle One

Similar Products Used:   Sachs Quartz, Shimano XT, Shimano LX, Nukeproof Superfly,
Ringle SOB, Machine Tech Front

Bike Setup:   Which one... Commuter with toys or Dakar with Toys

Submitted by Keith a Cross Country Rider from wi

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2001

Strengths:    very light, spin very well

Weaknesses:    durability

Bottom Line:
I had this wheelset not even a whole season and they crapped out on me. Took them to local shop and they tried contacting nukeproof, but no-one would return their calls. They gave me a loaner wheelset (lx-mavic) and I've used that for the last 1.5 years and haven't had a problem. I really don't know why these hubs have gotten such great reviews because the all the people that I have talked to said they've had nothing but trouble.

Purchased At:   Smith's in LaCrosse WI

Similar Products Used:   old shimano lx

Bike Setup:   Schwinn S-10,raceface headset/crank,SRAM 9.0,MARS C

Submitted by Luke Pincince a Racer from Palmer

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2001

Strengths:    Durably quality product. Everything on this hub is quality, the bearings spin perfectly the finish on the product is great. Even the machining of the part is fantastic. The hub flange holes for the spokes are countersunk on each side and both deburred. Even with any intense dh tire on the hub it spins better than any hub I,ve ever owned. Any company that can produce a extremly high quality hub that is bombproof,and lite at a fantastic is doing what other hub companies should.

Congradulations go out to Gretchen and the crew
for building hubs parts that will take everything you have and come back for more. These things are amazing

Weaknesses:    None I ride Drop offs that are 8 to 10 feet high, I do urban
with loading dock drop offs,15 set stair cases, and the ocasional car tow. Rides right thru rain storms with no problems nothing gets past the bearing seals. This hub as seen winter riding at 30 degress below and it works right thru it. This hub just keeps on keepin on. I can kill it and I've tried it just comes back for more.

Bottom Line:
Nuke Proof build Hubs that any one who rides for real and knows the wisdom of the wheel will won't. These things will get you were your going no matter what is thrown at it. Nukeproof Products are in a class of there own the truly live up to their name.

Favorite Trail:   HIigh Rollers Forest

Purchased At:   direct crash replacement

Similar Products Used:   None I break hubs. I've broken every hub that shimano makes with the exception of the xtr . I've torn the flange rite off xt hubs. Broken the hub axle on lx and deore.

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Erzulie, White Bros 4 inch Fork, intense DH tire on the back and conti leader on the front. This Bike is for stait up Free rideing it will go any where.

Submitted by STP a Cross Country Rider from Lancaster

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2000

Strengths:    Finally fixed. They are running quiet and strong now, after Nukeproof repaired them, with the prerequisite fix needed.

Weaknesses:    Need new style dustcap, other than that, they're fine now.

Bottom Line:
Ridden these hubs now for two months, and I can say I'm finally happy with them. They roll very nicely now, and there is no more noise, nor bearing problems. Nukeproof has started finally answering their phones. They seem to want to address the customer relations problems they've had. I told them how important it is not to Pi$$ off the customer. I am ok with this product now. Call Nukeproof BEFORE you buy these hubs to make sure they'll take care of you

Favorite Trail:   Ave P land