Nuke Proof Atom Bomb Hubset Hub

Nuke Proof Atom Bomb Hubset

Submitted by John Miller a Racer from Detroit, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2004

Strengths:    Light, cool looking

Weaknesses:    Garbage. Not durable at all! Do not buy!

Bottom Line:
Very light. Smooth as can be. Pure garbage. The rear hub stripped where the freehub connects. The rear hub is now completely worthless. I have about 100 miles on these hubs and the rear is now completely worthless. Nuke Proof went out of business for a reason. DO NOT buy these hubs no matter what the price. You will find yourself walking back to your car/home. I am not a bitter, over exaggerating consumer. I used to love NP and promoted their product as such. But the bottom line is their hubs are terrible. The way my hub broke is unbelievable. Do not buy!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   magura pro, ritchey pro, XTR, LX

Submitted by David from Oak Bluffs MA. USA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2002

Strengths:    They look cool?

Weaknesses:    Totally weak. JUNK

Bottom Line:
6 years ago I bought into the Nuke Proof hype and in the 3 years I ran the carbon fiber hubs I went through 4 rear hubs and 3 front.
First off the hubs ALL came from Nuke Proof with no grease in the bearings. The so called pressed in bearings were for the most part loose. I had the rear non drive flange slide into the center of the hub pushing out the bearing during a snow ride. I have had chunks of the flange break off attached to spokes. Cracks in the Flanges. There was a great deal of lateral and up and down play in the hubs from really poor milling.
A lot of creaking and noises that I eliminated everything but the hubs and then finally the hubs. No noises now.

Over all the Hubs are CRAP, really sloppy and I in all good conscience could not give my Atom Bomb hub set away.
They sit at the bottom of my JUNK Box.
The hubs had a life time guarantee but Nuke Proof wouldn't give me my money back. They just kept giving me new hubs every 4 month or so. They all ways had an excuse. It was all ways the supplier fault, the people who machined the various parts that made up the hubs. I guess they didn't even make the hubs and obviously didn't even look them over before they sent them out.
They did send me a bunch of the tiny allen wrenches one needs to take the hubs apart, a case of Nuke Proof grease to put in the bearings and a number of the Nuke Proof (THE HUB SUCKS) T-Shirts.
One Flamin' Chili is way more than they deserve. More like a -10.
I would enter them in a Nuke proof toss.
I have run the wee wee out of a set of Chris King Hubs for the last 3 years and they are still smooth as butter and get this they haven't broken. What a novel idea.

Similar Products Used:   XT, Chris King, Campy Super Record,

Bike Setup:   It's now a Litespeed E-stay with King headset and 36 hole King hubs, 517 ceramic rims, Thompson seat post, flite saddle, XT derailleurs, Cooks Brothers Crank, Ibis Stem and a Answer Bar.

Submitted by Keith a Cross Country Rider from Grapevine, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2001

Strengths:    Looks, good Velocity rims

Weaknesses:    Everything about the design of the rear hub

Bottom Line:
I am updating my review below of the NukeProof Warhead wheelset as I have received multiple e-mails concerning problems people are having. Please do NOT e-mail me with issues concerning your wheelset or how to get a response from Nukeproof. There is nothing I can do for you and I think Nukeproof is out of business. The warranty wheelset was no better than the first. The rear free-hub seized up in less than a couple of months of use just like the original did. I never could get in touch with Nukeproof, so I did what I should have in the first place and bought some CHRIS KING hubs. Best decision I ever made.

Similar Products Used:   Nothing as bad as the rear hub

Bike Setup:   Racer-X

Submitted by Keith a Cross Country Rider from Grapevine, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight, smooth large bearings, good looks, customer support.

Weaknesses:    Initially experienced problems with free-hub, but Nukeproof appears to have resolved

Bottom Line:
I posted a review awhile back when I started experiencing grinding / creaking in the free-hub. Fortunately, Nuke-proof took care of the issue and does seem to care about supporting their product. The wheels are very smooth and have only required light truing after about a month of riding which is not unusual. The Velocity rims are very solid and the A-sym rear is a nice choice.

Favorite Trail:   Grapevine

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT

Bike Setup:   2001 RacerX

Submitted by Shawn a Racer from MSU Cycling Team

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2001

Strengths:    Umm Its Nuke Proof, as in indestructable. Bad ass looks, smooth feel(like butter), light, light, light. Did i mention it is a Kick ass Hub? SUPER SWEET CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    NONE, well other than morons like OverDa(right below me), what a tool. you break spokes and its the hubs fault??? Or is it the fact that you're an idiot.

Bottom Line:
Nuke Proof Rules!!!! I have never had better customer service or a better hub. It is nice to finally see a company thats not all about the $$$$$$ and the customer is nothing. They provide QUALITY products and service. I am totally pleased with these hubs. I totally recommend these to anyone that wants a quality product. 5 chilis a piece

Favorite Trail:   anything good and dirty

Purchased At:   Straight from NUKE!!!

Submitted by OverDaBars a Cross Country Rider from Placentia, Calif.

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight, so it's real easy to carry the rear wheel to the LBS for frequent spoke replacement and retruing. And I get a good laugh out of the product's all-too-ironic name.

Weaknesses:    Zero durability. Broke spokes on the rear on 6 occasions. Flanges are now trashed.

Bottom Line:
Shoulda known I was in trouble with these when a mechanic at my LBS, who is not one for mincing words, told me that these hubs are "real pieces of sh*t." The front wheel has held up fine, but the rear has failed again and again under normal everyday cross-country use. Never had this kinda trouble when riding Shimano hubs, so I just ordered a set of XTs laced to Bontrager Valients. Back to basics. Pass up this pseudo-boutique crap.

Favorite Trail:   San Juan, Aliso/Wood Cyns.

Purchased At:   Irvine Bike Source

Similar Products Used:   XT and LX hubs

Bike Setup:   Nuke Proof (ha ha!!! that name again!!) Atom Bombs on Mavic 517s

Submitted by Andrew White a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2000

Strengths:    Super light, look great. Three bearing on rear

Weaknesses:    I've not seen them

Bottom Line:
Lighter than light, easy to pull apart and clean, super stiff big 'ol axil up front. I'm glad mine came after the production changes - they have been perfect

Favorite Trail:   PALTO

Similar Products Used:   HOPE BULB

Bike Setup:   DeKerf Sl

Submitted by Keith a Cross Country Rider from Flower Mound, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2000

Strengths:    Strength, light weight, looks

Weaknesses:    Possible problem with bearings and freehub body.

Bottom Line:
I have mostly been very happy with the new Atom Bomb One piece hubs. They are very light and roll very smooth. Unfortunately, I am starting to experience some of the grinding / creaking of the bearings and freehub body similar to what others have described. I have contacted Nukeproof and they seem to be very accomodating so far. I will re-post after this has been resolved as I expect to be using this wheelset for quite awhile.

Favorite Trail:   Rockledge

Similar Products Used:   Various Shimano.

Bike Setup:   Spooky Darkside

Submitted by RYAN WALDRON a Cross Country Rider from ARLINGTON, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2000

Strengths:    LOOKS

Weaknesses:    THIS HUB IS VERY BAD

Bottom Line:
I NEEDED TO REPLACE MY REAR WHEEL AFTER A STICK WENT INTO IT, THIS WHEEL WAS 3 YEARS OLD WITH A XT HUB AND A 517, AND I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS. So I was calling around and heard about nuke proof so i bought a carbon atom bomb on a ceramic 517. I thought well this is a nice wheel, should hold up with no problems. AFTER FOUR RIDES IN VARIOUS CONDITIONS I HAVE SOME AWFUL CREEKING COMING FROM THE HUB. I E-MAILED NUKE PROOF, AND THEY WERE VERY NICE AND RESPONDED QUICKLY AND SAID WELL YOU PROBABLY NEED A NEW BEARING AND A BEARING CUP. THEN AFTER ASKING THEM THREE TIMES TO SEND IT THEY FINALLY DID. THEY SAID THEY SHIPPED IT ON THE 26TH OF JULY AND AS OF AUGUST 3RD I HAVE STILL NOT RECIEVED ANYTHING. BOTTOM LINE THOUGH I WOULD NEVER BUY ANY NUKE PROOF PRODUCT AGAIN, NOR WOULD I RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE OUT THERE. WHY TAKE A CHANCE? GET SOMETHING THAT YOU KNOW IS 100% SOLID. IF I HAD TO DO IT OVER I WOULD'VE JUST GOTTEN AN XTR HUB. I WILL NOT HAVE KIND WORDS TO SAY WHEN I'M DISCUSSING NUKE PROOFS PRODUCTS WITH OTHER RIDERS.

Favorite Trail:   TECH 9

Similar Products Used:   XT, WHITE INDUSTRIES

Bike Setup:   FAT CHANCE, XT, JUDY SL, RACE FACE

Submitted by Seamus a Cross Country Rider from Far, far away

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2000

Strengths:    Light and fast

Weaknesses:    Rear Hub keeps failing

Bottom Line:
Got a built up set of Atom Bombs laced to Bontrager Mustang Asym rims. On the FIRST RIDE, the freehub stripped its threads out of the hub shell, rendering the pedals useless.

Sent it back to Nuke Proof, who promptly replaced the hub and laced it up, saying that it was caused by a manufacturing defect. The threads were not cut deep enough.

Now, with about two hundred miles on the hub, the REAR BEARING HAS SIEZED. I ride in Colorado, where it is dry, don't take my bike to the car wash, and have thousands of miles on my shimano hubs with no complaint.

Sent it back today, under warranty. Meanwhile, my bike hangs from the ceiling for the next couple of weeks.

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   Moots, XTR, etc

Submitted by kevin from FL

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2000

Strengths:    Looks, weight, and price.

Weaknesses:    Bearings

Bottom Line:
I sent the bearings back to Nukeproof 4 times (front and rear hubs), then decided it wasn't worth my time. Front bearings NEVER go bad in my experience, and i ride Z1's so there isn't a shock issue! These were 99's, and Nukeproof said there was an error making a large quantity of the bearing cups, not allowing a perfect fit for the bearings, thus toasting them on a regular basis. I didn't ride more then about 1/2 mile after one of the hubs was rebuilt (by master wheel builder) and it started making horrible sounds.

I was looking at Hub Reviews, and saw that these hubs currently had a 5.00 ranking, which is deserved by my KING hubs, but not the Nuke-proofs.