Home | Reviews | Hub | Mavic

2.6/5 (5 Reviews)

mavic crossride

Submitted by eugene kayser

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2014

Strengths:    can not think of any

Weaknesses:    Free hub failed after a year plus of moderated cross county riding.
The free hub has plastic parts on the prawns that break resulting in free hub failure.
Mavic will not warranty the repairs if over a year old, even for a stupid design.
Found that the local shops have seen quite a few failure from this design and carry the repair parts, not sure if I trust these hubs anymore.

Bottom Line:
Would not suggest using Mavic hubs if you want reliability or if like walking back to the trail head go ahead and buy them.

Submitted by rideaday a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2012

Strengths:    I rally rough trails and the Rims seem fine.

Weaknesses:    The rear hub is toast, metal on metal after 2 years of mt biking riding.

Bottom Line:
I am disappointed that I need a new hub. I never serviced them, never thought of it.

Submitted by Adam Bawden a Racer from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2004

Strengths:    Overall stiffness and lightweight. Little trueing needed

Weaknesses:    Rims easy to damage

Bottom Line:
Wheel set is very light weight and strong. Only needed to service once and trued very little. Radial lacing on the front provided a nice even balance, while normal lacing on the rear was more than perfect. Tested in harsh conditions as i am a bike messenger. Only twice riden them off road but both times held up to a few nice drops and small ruts.
Ideal for any rider how likes going fast on road surfaces and styling on small drops.
*Side note* Easy to roll a tyre on and off these rims when changing, i have a set of other rims u need a 40 foot long lever and arms like tree trunks to get a tyre on, but these are a pleasure.

Favorite Trail:   Melb C.B.D

Purchased At:   City Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Mavix CrossMax

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar Race, clipless, Fsa cranks and headset, deore
v- brakes.

Submitted by Christophe a Weekend Warrior from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2000

Strengths:    Great super-light and cheap (now $70) front wheel. about 750g. NEVER had to service hub in more than 4000miles! Never had to true them either. Spokes keep taught. Lots of lateral stiffness. Fewer and shorter spokes (as a result of the radial lacing) creates less drag (noticable at over 40mph).

Weaknesses:    Rim is not very strong

Bottom Line:
Don't complain about dinging the rim if you buy this wheel. It is meant to be a superlight wheel so by buying it, you are accepting this risk. I've ridden the front wheel carefully. Even done some trials and jumping with it. Just don't hit anything like a curb square on.

Favorite Trail:   slickrock in Moab, UT

Purchased At:   Excel Sports

Similar Products Used:   Mavic CrossMax

Bike Setup:   Trek 7000 frame, raceface, Manitou x-vert super, XT front and rear, Real rear hub w/Syncros rim, answer riser bars, etc.

Submitted by aaron lipoold a Cross Country Rider from longmont colorado

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2000

Strengths:    lightness looks

Weaknesses:    somewhat difficult to true. straight pull spokes break and rip out of hub flange

Bottom Line:
these wheels just don't hold up I've already sent them back so I can get them waranteed so i can sell them and buy some king hubs and some 517 to build my own wheels

Favorite Trail:   winter park mountaingoat