Home | Reviews | Hub | Mavic

3.67/5 (124 Reviews)

mavic crossmax

Submitted by raceer2 a Weekend Warrior from ma

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2009

Strengths:    none that I can see, given my experience.

there is a reason a) mavic only deals via dealers and b) iits impossible for a consumer to contact mavic direct !

Weaknesses:    very high maintenance, dodgy free hub, flawed hub design

Bottom Line:
given the very high price tag they are a load of $%^t, stay away...plus mavic warranty sucks

want a very expensive paperweight ? no thanks

Favorite Trail:   any

Similar Products Used:   american classic, dt swiss, no tubes

Bike Setup:   xc 29r

Submitted by Dan Nesson a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2007

Strengths:    I'm looking for an older (1997-99, I think) crossmax rear hub. Mine just bit the dust. After thousands of miles it froze up fixed gear style. dnesson@yahoo.com

Bottom Line:
Great wheel...it lasted forever. The rim and spokes are still in great shape.

Favorite Trail:   White Rim

Purchased At:   Mavic

Submitted by Alec a Cross Country Rider from Irvine, CA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2007

Strengths:    Overall durability... besides the hubs!

Weaknesses:    Rear Hub

Bottom Line:
I agree with everything that ((JMS from San Gabriel)) prior post below is stating regarding the CrossMax XL Hubs...

I did my 1st rear hub maintenance in 12-months last month and I used the new 2007 pawls, replaced the hub body (not upgraded for 2007), 2007 seal (no one had in stock). I had the LBS order one for me. Everything is working/sounding much better than before... most of the hub play went away, etc... But I know it will come back again soon. When the free play in the hub does come back, you'll notice your rear cassettes getting worn more quickly and/or start to make crackling noises. These hubs are not made for people over 140-pds and/or heavy loads/torque... they'll wear out quickly.

I'll probably keep these CrossMax XL's for my girls Santa Cruz Juliana since I just did the maintenance on them and build myself a set of the new I9's or Chris Kings...

Favorite Trail:   San Juan, Moro, Aliso, etc.

Purchased At:   The Path Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5, Pike 454 Air, Pushed Fox RP3, Mavic CrossMax XLs, XTR/X0 components!

Submitted by JMS from San Gabriel

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2007

Strengths:    See previous review

Weaknesses:    See previous review

Bottom Line:
As you all know this is the only down fall of these wheels.

If your cassette hub body has ever skipped a pawl, remove and inspect for small metal shaving, these will help chew up the hub spindle and piss you off.

Here is the fix for all us 2006 and down owners:

1. Buy a set of the 2007 pawls (#32430301)- Harder material (stainless steel, will/should not chip).

2. Buy a new cassette hub body (#M40580) (start fresh)

3. Most important! Buy the new seal (#99500001)! They claim this is the problem, it let's dirt in the hub and this creates a sand paper effect. The big concern is the nylon bushing built on the hub cassette body will grind (w/dirt) away at the hub shaft creating play, thus ruining it!

I think its the seal and soft pawls.

4. Use the Mavic Mineral Oil(I read Pedros Road Rage will work also).

They way the wheels are made are great, but the hub design will eventually wear away! So don't buy these wheels.

Similar Products Used:   See previous review

Bike Setup:   See previous review

Submitted by db a Racer from new england

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2007

Strengths:    look good

Weaknesses:    hub body failed 3 times during 2 seasons.

Bottom Line:
after many years of riding and building my own rigs and wheelsets, i have concluded that mavic are posers. mavic has a reputation that is nowhere near the quality of thier product. the hubs are terrible. i would never buy another set to build a wheelset again. ive tried building with the xc717 rims which are terrrible also. out of the box they had a piece of metal that was stuck between the spoke holes. had to send back. also my other set of rims has a flat spot so severe at the weld that i consider it junk after 1 season of lightweight xc racing. i dont do drops. and mavic doesnt take care of thier customers. after 15 rides (races) my hub failed and because i had the wheelset over 1 year they wouldnt warranty it even tho i only raced them about 15 times during that period. i think they should have made an exception in that case. anyway, like i said, they are existing off their name. their products are not worth the price they charge. my 2¢.

Similar Products Used:   spinergy, sunringle with hugi hubs (awesome)

Bike Setup:   dean ti ht. everything bling.

Submitted by JMS a Weekend Warrior from San Gabriel, CA

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2006

Strengths:    No Flex
Smooth rolling bearings
Overall strength

Weaknesses:    One and one only!
The damn hub design!

Bottom Line:
As you all know this is the only down fall of these wheels.

Here is the fix for all us 2006 and down owners:

1. Buy a set of the 2007 pawls - Harder material (stainless steel, will/should not chip).

2. Buy a new cassette hub body (start fresh)

3. Most important! Buy the new seal! They claim this is the problem, it let's dirt in the hub and this creates a sand paper effect. The big concern is the nylon bushing built on the hub cassette body will grind (w/dirt) away at the hub shaft creating play, thus ruining it!

I think its the seal and soft pawls.

4. Use the Mavic Mineral Oil(I read Pedros Road Rage will work also).

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance, XT group, XL wheels, Thomson group, Race Face

Submitted by John Burke a Weekend Warrior from Manchester, CT USA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2006

Strengths:    The rim itself holds up

Weaknesses:    Stay away from this HUB! I have replaced the outer hub and pawls 4 times since last spring; pawls break continuosly throwing all out of round and necessitating a new outer hub. The cost is $45.00 for the part. Mavic has helped me out 2 times but will not do so again as of my most recent claim I placed with them via a bike shop...they will not speak with customer directly. They blame me and admit no fault in product design. I was vindicated when I read so many similar reviews. I have also maintained the hub per their web site instructions after my first break. This maintenace schedule was previously unknown to me or any bike shop I use. The directions only came online last spring and are an add on. They were not included in the owners manual. (Mavic has taken their phone number off their web site. Does this tell you anything.)

Bottom Line:
I would never by a rim that uses this HUB setup again. Stay away!

Favorite Trail:   Case Moutain

Purchased At:   Came with Jamis XLT 3.0

Similar Products Used:   Shimano. Bontrager

Bike Setup:   Cross Country

Submitted by Eric Stettler a Weekend Warrior from Milwaukee,WI

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2006

Strengths:    light,indestructable

Weaknesses:    only one you can't use a burly saint derailer

Bottom Line:
had them for three years,never a problem,except for crashing and bending the rim,my fault not the wheels. reading everybody cry is typical.I'm an auto mechanic and nobody understands maintenance!! get a clue anything breaks unless you maintain it!! granted this is wisconsin but there are all different terrains lift access to urbanriding and a ton of crosscountry. I have no simpathy for all of you whiners.

Favorite Trail:   dirt

Similar Products Used:   all the standard stuff

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth moment,Fox 36,raceface,crossmaxxl

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2006

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Defective design

Bottom Line:
This is a followup review - one year later after having a hub replaced after 2 months - see earlier reviews for story on terrible service from Mavic. I cleaned it, tightened it, watched it, I really thought it was OK. Today while riding it failed completely - rotates freely both ways.

If you don't mind paying for new hub every 6 months and having to walk out from deep into your ride, this hub is for you.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Blur

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Chester, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2005

Strengths:    This review is for the XL version of the wheel / hub. Stays extremely true. Took a 1" stick through the rear spokes just after purchasing and the wheel still stayed true. Imagine doing that with regular spokes. UST also is much better than riding with tubes.

Weaknesses:    Freehub. After 2 years and 1500 miles, there's play in the freehub, enough to cause concern. Was told by LBS that the freehub contains a fiber washer that wears out and has to be replaced but you have to have a new freehub, not just the washer. Poor design if that is the case. Problem was discovered after the freehub refused to turn in reverse, which turned out to be worn pawls what had to be replaced.

Bottom Line:
Not worth the money. This is the first issue I've had with a freehub over the many years I've been riding. That, coupled with the specific spokes for the hubs, make ordering an alternative hub and reutilizing the existing spokes impossible. Will ensure that I purchase some other version of UST next time, can get 2 sets of wheels and hubs for what these cost.

Favorite Trail:   Round Valley

Purchased At:   Frankford Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur.

Submitted by scarface a Racer from massachusetts

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2005

Strengths:    light, fast, pretty

Weaknesses:    rear hub

Bottom Line:
i use these wheels on my race bike for racing only. after 25 rides i had to replace the freewheel body. broken pawls and damaged inside the body. treated these wheels like they were the crown jewels. shouldnt have problems after so few rides on an $800 wheelset.

Favorite Trail:   any -as long as i'm riding

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   spinergy cyclone disc

Bike Setup:   sworks fsr, xtr, hayes

Submitted by Sean from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2005

Strengths:    still straight

Weaknesses:    The freewheel is the biggest piece of junk on the planet.

Bottom Line:
My freewheel literally fell apart (i.e. the whole cluster/freewheel fell off!) while I was investigating poor shifting /chain suck after only a months riding. The whole thing was full of metal fragments with a lot of wear given its age and there were burrs on the lateral edges of the pawls so they wouldn't disengage into their little recesses properly. I cleaned it out and filed the burrs (only lateral edges nothing on the engaging surfaces) and the local Mavic distributor is hinting that this has probably voided my warranty. Buy anything else but not this, just not worth the risk for the price.