Marzocchi Front 20mm DH/FR Hub Hub

4.5/5 (10 Reviews)

The extra beefy Marzocchi 32 hole 20mm hub is ready to handle drop after drop. Features heavy-duty cartridge sealed bearings. Includes QR20 axle. 340g

Submitted by sadoldsamurai

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2012

Strengths:    I bought this with a Mavic 531 rim second user off e-bay and ran it in some 20mm psylo SL's and then my (beautifully squishy/smooth) PIKE 426s..very quickly the hubs developed 'play'..for a while tightening the through axle cured this..but eventually even that didn't work. My LBS couldn't get the bearings out..so it looked like they were going to be a kn**ker job..but another bike shop removed the bearings, I bought some new one's off e-batfor a fiver..got them sent direct to the bike shop who fitted them and charged me a fiver..a tenner for virtually new wheels..and 18 months later they're still running fine..

Weaknesses:    They're only available in black...a typical Henry Ford mentality...

Bottom Line:
Good solid cheap hub..

Submitted by andykrow a Downhiller from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap, spins nice while it lasts, looks nice.

Weaknesses:    Develops play in a year or so.

Bottom Line:
After two of these hubs I won't be buying another. I had it on a sherman, a Z1 and a 66. These hubs just develop play if you ride hard, and eventually you'll hear it as a clunk when the fork hits something or comes down hard on something. After this happened once and I needed a new wheel I let a bike shop convince me they had never seen problems with these hubs. So I tried again, mainly because they are so cheap, and I thought maybe I abused it somehow or the Sherman messed it up. Well you get what you pay for and it happened again. I basically got a year of use out of them before the play comes. A tell tale sign is if your front disc intermittently rubs, though mainly you can just grab the wheel and feel the play. No amount of tightening of the axle will get rid of this. I won't give this worst possible rating because they do work nice for the first year, but I could not recommend them to a friend. I'm going to try Hope Pro next...

Favorite Trail:   Sol Vista

Purchased At:   Various places

Similar Products Used:   Cheapo XT 20mm

Bike Setup:   Turner RFX, Zoke 66, etc...

Submitted by sam a Downhiller from Ithaca, New York, United States

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2008

Strengths:    very very smooth, durable, cheap, its marzocchi!!

Bottom Line:
this is an amazing hub, the front wheel seems to spin for ever. i have had no problems what so ever with the hub after riding it for one downhill race season. i liked it so much i had to get another one. everyone should get one of these hubs.

Purchased At:   my work (LBS)

Bike Setup:   04 trek diesel, 05 marzocchi shiver, double wide wheel set.

Submitted by Duh-luth a Cross Country Rider from MN

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2006

Strengths:    Quality construction,reliabity and affordable to boot! The hub has nice understated graphics and a quality finish.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't come in all the pretty colors.

Bottom Line:
A well-made 20mm hub that's well worth the price. Has held up well and still runs smooth. Currently looking for a new fork and rim to play together with. I will be keeping this hub for awhile and rebuild a new wheel with it in the near future.

Purchased At:   Came with fork. Fork sold, hub kept.

Submitted by ArroyoBomber a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, NV, USA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2006

Strengths:    Cost!(Take THAT Chris King!)
Strong as you need it to be
Equal or greater quality to any other 20mm hub on the market

Weaknesses:    Not flashy looking or available in fancy colors (Oh,darn)

Bottom Line:
This is THE front hub for people who take their riding AND their hard-earned paychecks seriously.I may very well have bought this to spite such highway robbers like CK who want to screw hard-working average joes out of a decent deal and an affordable ride, and I have yet to regret it.Been beating the crap out of this wheel (see above) for almost a year now,taken it on some fairly nasty downhills and 4-6 foot drops, trannies be damned, and it has yet to even come the slightest bit out of true!Not one wrench has TOUCHED this thing since it was built.One of the best MTB component values out there.Period.

Purchased At:   Fat Tire Bikes, Albuquerque, NM

Similar Products Used:   Bunch of overpriced crap

Bike Setup:   Hub was built with Alpine III spokes onto a Mavic EX823 rim,mounted onto a 2006 Pike 426 coil,attached to my good ole IH

Submitted by shanedawg a Downhiller from san jose, ca

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2005

Strengths:    good bearings, seals, and basic design.

Weaknesses:    a little on the heavy side

Bottom Line:
This hub has been great period. I bought the 99 Z1 many years ago from airbomb.com and they included a free front wheel. I thought for many years that I would replace this wheel with something better when it broke but that day has not come. The bearing got a little gritty about 2 years ago after a really nasty, wet ride. I let the bike sit and when I came back 2 weeks later the wheel was making some noise. I had to pull the seals off the bearings and flush with triflow and then repack with new grease. Since then it has been the one thing on my bike I never have to think about.

Favorite Trail:   anything with jumps or drops

Purchased At:   came with fork

Similar Products Used:   white industries, chris king, shimano, etc

Bike Setup:   Z150FR on a Turner RFX. Before that the hub was on a 99' Z1 QR20.

Submitted by Dimitri a Downhiller from London

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2005

Strengths:    looks nice, works nice, bearings seem ok so far. Good sealing, i went to wales for a ride in the mud. welsh mud destroys everything and manages to find its way past nearly every seal but the hub wal all good, no mud got onto the thru-axle or anythin'.

Bottom Line:
looks cool and works. easy to build onto. cheap as chips.

Similar Products Used:   dt hugi, saint, the works.

Bike Setup:   you really wanna know?

Submitted by Douglas from Valencia

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2005

Bottom Line:
I forgot to mention -
When I installed the Marzocchi hub in the fork, there was no play. The same could not be said of the White Industries hub.

Submitted by Douglas from Valencia

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2005

Strengths:    Superior Design.

Bottom Line:
Marzocchi 20mm hub is Superior Design to other 20mm hubs.

I bought a White Industries Front 20mm Hub based on reviews from this website and the wheelbuilder's recommendation.

To make a long story short, there was too much play between the WI hub and Marzocchi 20mm axle. Also, the dust cap and axle cap are two pieces. One of the dust caps was too loose and falls out due to an incorrect dimension on hub. I went to Marzocchi in Valencia and had them look at this (great guys by the way - about 3 or 4 of them helped me with my hub. They really love mountain biking and were willing to spend time and bend over backwards to help. Thankyou Mike, JP, Ronnie, and everyone else that lended a hand!!).

In the end I bought a Marzocchi Hub because the design was superior with a "Full Floating" bearing system which distributes the load along the full length of a pressed-in sleeve (this also allows for larger bearings which help distribute the load). Also, the end caps were one piece, so they are located in place when installed in the fork and can not come out based on the design.

Sweet Hub.

I'll add another review once I get my killer bike built up and get some miles on her. 5 flaming ones for a Superior Design.